BJ Johnson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

Just think about this for a second, he was the second best player on Team Final AAU team (and to some arguably the best player) with the other four starters ranked in the top 100. I gave the nod to Ronde slightly because of experience. This was his first time playing on a national circuit and for Team Final. Those others have been playing for them for at least 3 years on a national scene. In my joker voice,"Wait til they get a load of me!" SUball

Just think about this for a second, he was the second best player on Team Final AAU team (and to some arguably the best player) with the other four starters ranked in the top 100. I gave the nod to Ronde slightly because of experience. This was his first time playing on a national circuit and for Team Final. Those others have been playing for them for at least 3 years on a national scene. In my joker voice,"Wait til they get a load of me!" SUball

Can't wait to see this kid in orange. He really seems like he has the skills set / athleticism to excel in our system.

The Aces outscored Haverford 20-1 in the first quarter and cruised to a 67-35 victory on Tuesday. BJ Johnson '13 scored 15 of his game-high 21 points in the first half.
In what ways is he scoring? Off the dribble? Catch and shoot? Little bit of everything? I get the Hakim warrick sense with BJ. Not well known nationally but will come in and dominate over his collegiate career. I'm excited about his potential. Cuse is living in a golden age. We're lucky to be witnessing this type of success.

He is really excited and inspired for this year and the next. Second to none work ethic to get better in all phases of the game.

Great to hear about his work ethic. And I love the fact that he is a left-handed player--we've had great success with lefties over the years here at SU.

Question for you: since he is relatively "young" for his class, are you as a family considering the possibility of redshirting to give BJ an extra year of physical maturity?

Regardless, can't wait to see your kid in Orange--we were very excited to land him, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is going to be a great 3 for us down the road!

Let's Go Orange!!!

BJ will be more than ready for the Cuse next year at 6'7.5" 180 and growing with a tremendous skill set to play 1-4 positions if needed.

Curious what you think about this chances to contribute, or what his expectations for playing time are, for next year?

Obviously, there are a lot of quality players likely to be returning at the forward spot next year.

As fans we have our preconceived notions of the incoming players shaped largely by the rankings put out by the couple of recruiting services, but sometimes those evaluations especially when they are used to compare one player to another can be way off.

He is really excited and inspired for this year and the next. Second to none work ethic to get better in all phases of the game.

Do no if you are really Mr. Johnson or not, but is BJ working HARD on his right hand? I left handed player with a strong right hand is unguardable.

OGB, great to have a parent on board. Your updates will be much appreciated as we go through the basketball season. Thrilled to have your son at the 'cuse. BTW, I attended and played basketball at Westtown Friends in the late '60s. Does BJ's school ever meet up with Westtown? Looks like they have a D1 recruit that SU has shown some interest in...

OGB, great to have a parent on board. Your updates will be much appreciated as we go through the basketball season. Thrilled to have your son at the 'cuse. BTW, I attended and played basketball at Westtown Friends in the late '60s. Does BJ's school ever meet up with Westtown? Looks like they have a D1 recruit that SU has shown some interest in...
Here here, welcome BJ! As great as we are this year, very excited for next year's talented class.

In what ways is he scoring? Off the dribble? Catch and shoot? Little bit of everything? I get the Hakim warrick sense with BJ. Not well known nationally but will come in and dominate over his collegiate career. I'm excited about his potential. Cuse is living in a golden age. We're lucky to be witnessing this type of success.
He has more skills than "Skinny" from the offensive side of the ball, very polished offensively and continuing to improve. He can handle the rock, shoot on the move, off the bounce with creative since of versatility in his arsenal. Just wait till he learns how to play. He is similar to "Skinny" on the defensive end. Both are long and athletic. BJ is 6'7.5" 180pds and still growing who likens himself to Kevin Durant.

They do not meet them in the regular season. They did play them in the past in a team camp over the summer in one of those team camps. I believe in BJ's junior season. They had the kid from Villanova.

Great to hear about his work ethic. And I love the fact that he is a left-handed player--we've had great success with lefties over the years here at SU.

Question for you: since he is relatively "young" for his class, are you as a family considering the possibility of redshirting to give BJ an extra year of physical maturity?

Regardless, can't wait to see your kid in Orange--we were very excited to land him, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is going to be a great 3 for us down the road!

Let's Go Orange!!!
No consideration for reshirting. If that was the case I would have put him in his apropriate grade when his was in elementary school. The kid has been very good for a long time and has always play with older groups. I played for LaSalle U in 90' and he is light years ahead of me. I things he does at 16(17 on December 21st) I could not do until I was on my way to play in Europe and working out with pros.

Do no if you are really Mr. Johnson or not, but is BJ working HARD on his right hand? I left handed player with a strong right hand is unguardable.
He is working hard on both hands especially since I am the one who conducts most of his individual workouts with other former professional coaches.

No consideration for reshirting. If that was the case I would have put him in his apropriate grade when his was in elementary school. The kid has been very good for a long time and has always play with older groups. I played for LaSalle U in 90' and he is light years ahead of me. I things he does at 16(17 on December 21st) I could not do until I was on my way to play in Europe and working out with pros.

Appreciate the "inside" info!

Best of luck to BJ this year--can't wait to see him in Orange!

He is working hard on both hands especially since I am the one who conducts most of his individual workouts with other former professional coaches.
Do you think he can handle back-up point guard duties? I love his versatility and work ethic. If he can initiate the offense when Ennis needs a breather, we could have a VERY long lineup with he and Gbinje at the guards.

Mr. Johnson, great to have you on the board. Was taking to Francis last week that your son was the sleeper of the class and a real steal. Sounds like he is still growing and getting stronger. I loved watching his tape. If he can play the 2 or 3 @ CUSE, we will be in a great position down the road.

Curious what you think about this chances to contribute, or what his expectations for playing time are, for next year?

Obviously, there are a lot of quality players likely to be returning at the forward spot next year.

As fans we have our preconceived notions of the incoming players shaped largely by the rankings put out by the couple of recruiting services, but sometimes those evaluations especially when they are used to compare one player to another can be way off.

Well as I have said before, BJ is not coming to the Cuse to redshirt next season. His preparation is to play next season. He is versatile enough to play 1-4 positions if needed. According to the rankings, they are way off because of BJ's experience on the national scene. Although he played AAU in the previous years, the teams were not on a national circuit. Just as the for the schools that recruited him. There were far more major DI schools offering and recruiting him than some of those reports indicate. A host of ACC schools, Big East, Big Ten for starters. Some of the coaches had Philly ties as well and new of BJ hoping to get him by flying under the radar. He was on a AAU team that had 4 starters listed in the top 100 and BJ was definitely there second best player and arguably their most talented player as the 5th starter at the 2or 3 position.

Mr. Johnson, great to have you on the board. Was taking to Francis last week that your son was the sleeper of the class and a real steal. Sounds like he is still growing and getting stronger. I loved watching his tape. If he can play the 2 or 3 @ CUSE, we will be in a great position down the road.

He has vastly improved since the high school tape and over the summer with Team Final. When you finally get to see him by the summer your going to be sad to see him leave the CUSE. He 6'7.5" and 180 at this point with skills i only wished i had at 16-17yrs old.

Do you think he can handle back-up point guard duties? I love his versatility and work ethic. If he can initiate the offense when Ennis needs a breather, we could have a VERY long lineup with he and Gbinje at the guards.
Yes he can play the point. He has played it in the past and does at times for his team. He can handle the ball from a point forward position.

Point forward?????

tobias-harris-getty.jpg

Yes he can play the point. He has played it in the past and does at times for his team. He can handle the ball from a point forward position.
Interesting, I wonder if JB would try a line-up of BJ and Mike Gbinje at the guards and any combination of Fair, Grant, Roberson and Christmas at the forward with either DCII, Christmas or Keita at the center. If I am not mistaken, we could have 6'6", 6'7.5", 6'8", 6'10" and 6'11", that is crazy tall.

Interesting, I wonder if JB would try a line-up of BJ and Mike Gbinje at the guards and any combination of Fair, Grant, Roberson and Christmas at the forward with either DCII, Christmas or Keita at the center. If I am not mistaken, we could have 6'6", 6'7.5", 6'8", 6'10" and 6'11", that is crazy tall.

By the rapid rate that BJ is growing he could be an inch or two taller when he gets to The CUSE next year. But know this that we are always working on our game to ready for anything!

By the end of this season, BJ will be an McDonalds HS All American! You'll see.SUball
It would appear that he has some ground to make up with regard to becoming a McDonald's All American, but it is great that is his goal, and certainly all hope he achieves it, but even if he doesn't, he can use that as fuel to get better in college and beat all those that did make the all american team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom