BJ Johnson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

He is actually Robert Johnson III, I'm known as Bobby or Bob to friends and family so BJ is simply a nickname. Things happen for a reason and I definitely agree that the CUSE is getting a hell of a player and student but a better person.
I know it's early, what are his plans for the summer any camps or leagues planned?

He has more skills than "Skinny" from the offensive side of the ball, very polished offensively and continuing to improve. He can handle the rock, shoot on the move, off the bounce with creative since of versatility in his arsenal. Just wait till he learns how to play. He is similar to "Skinny" on the defensive end. Both are long and athletic. BJ is 6'7.5" 180pds and still growing who likens himself to Kevin Durant.
I wasn't trying to compare playing style just them being not super well known. Both better than their national ranking.

I am 5'6, my wife 5'0, my son, to be determined, but doctors don't imagine him to be over 5'7.
Although I could ball way back when, I have to ask the question:
Can I get some of the water you guys are drinking? ;)

I can't figure it out either. My mother was 5'4" and Dad was 6'1" go figure. it's something though.

I wasn't trying to compare playing style just them being not super well known. Both better than their national ranking.

I like Hakim. He was probably the reason I started watching the Cuse when they got a Philly guy who was someone that I knew as a young buck from from courts. Very proud of him and all of his achievements. I still remember the game saving block clearly. I'm from South Philly and he's from West Philly but we are basketball family.

I know it's early, what are his plans for the summer any camps or leagues planned?

Once the season is over and hopefully its a state chip. We will get back to putting in work in the gym and utilizing the personal trainers that we have here. I will also consult with Cuse trainer. But when school is over he will be on the campus on the first available flight or we will probably drive to get ready for the season and take a class or two. He is close enough that the commute is doable to get to some special events if needed but not required.

Once the season is over and hopefully its a state chip. We will get back to putting in work in the gym and utilizing the personal trainers that we have here. I will also consult with Cuse trainer. But when school is over he will be on the campus on the first available flight or we will probably drive to get ready for the season and take a class or two. He is close enough that the commute is doable to get to some special events if needed but not required.
Love hearing this insight. Thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the info as always Stumpy. Caruthers sounds like an undersized 2G, probably a D1 talent but not a fit for SU right?

I don't think he is a fit for SU. Yeah I could see the smaller DI schools lining up for him. However much like Poncho B grades could be an issue for Caruthers. I haven't asked much about him in that area because I have never thought he was on the Cuse radar. I do know that he is the best athlete in the school and football has tried to get him. I think it's a mistake on his part because he would have a lot more suitors on the football side @ 6'1 then he would in hoops. I am always shocked how many 6'1-6'2 kids that are studs on the hardwood ignore football. I think they have a much better shot getting paid to play football then hoops in the future ala Victor Cruz who was part of the Gauchos when he was in high school.

I'm definitely excited to see BJ play for Syracuse. I was impressed with what I saw. I'm suprised he isn't ranked as a high recruit. Can't wait to see him show that he can be a great player for Cuse.

Love what we're hearing from Dad! This kid has a great support system and has the work ethic to match. Liked what he said about not red-shirting. He is coming here with the total expectation of playing next season. I like that. Boeheim's recent trend of playing 9 guys in a regular rotation is a great way for all the scholarship players to stay involved and motivated.

Wow, I already loved BJ's game from what I saw. Now this info from as close a source as you can get has me even more excited. I think the mid range game off the bounce that he displayed is a huge difference maker for any wing or guard type player in college. Few can do that on a rgular basis.

OGBJ20 thanks so much for the info and tell BJ thanks so much for picking SU!
He is very excited to join the Orange next season. I am very happy for him. Thanks and we will keep on working hard to improve in all phases of the game.

I looked this game up. It took place on November 18, 1988. Syracuse 92 LaSalle 76.

Very cool.

Am I to assume you are Bob Johnson, the 6'4" guard who averaged 5.8 ppg in '88-'89 and 11.5 ppg '89-'90? I was going to ask how tall you were and how tall you expected BJ to be when he was done growing.

However, you are just a little off on the years and numbers 5.8ppg '87-'88, 11.5ppg '88-89, 9.7ppg '89-'90. Played only 15min '86-87. Starter in 87-88 (1st 15 games) 6th man duties the remainder of the year. Again, moved to 6thman the day before the Cuse game '88-'89(Name top 6thman in the country) Most improved '87-88, Best Defensive Player '88-89/'89-'90. A part of team that won 100games in four years and in the 3yrs that i saw action we were 80-18 against some great non conference teams. We needed just a little more inside presence. (Just strolling down memory lane.) With that being said BJ is getting a lot of schooling in the game hoops and he is putting it into action. Our model is "Never Satisified!"

However, you are just a little off on the years and numbers 5.8ppg '87-'88, 11.5ppg '88-89, 9.7ppg '89-'90. Played only 15min '86-87. Starter in 87-88 (1st 15 games) 6th man duties the remainder of the year. Again, moved to 6thman the day before the Cuse game '88-'89(Name top 6thman in the country) Most improved '87-88, Best Defensive Player '88-89/'89-'90. A part of team that won 100games in four years and in the 3yrs that i saw action we were 80-18 against some great non conference teams. We needed just a little more inside presence. (Just strolling down memory lane.) With that being said BJ is getting a lot of schooling in the game hoops and he is putting it into action. Our model is "Never Satisified!"
Can he beat you yet?

Did you play with the L Train?

I remember that LaSalle game very well--that was our opener in 1989-1990 season, our first game of the post-Sherman Douglas era!

So, you must have been teammates with L-Train and Doug Overton. Those were some really good LaSalle teams.

Love what we're hearing from Dad! This kid has a great support system and has the work ethic to match. Liked what he said about not red-shirting. He is coming here with the total expectation of playing next season. I like that. Boeheim's recent trend of playing 9 guys in a regular rotation is a great way for all the scholarship players to stay involved and motivated.

I have been raising him to do his best and put forth effort in anything that he does. To keep working hard and it would pay off for him. It would be going against everything that we know to settle for just getting to the CUSE and not crack the lineup in some form to see minutes. We can only control our actions and we will leave the numbers game to the coaches. He'll be ready coming from this end of the highway.;)

I remember that LaSalle game very well--that was our opener in 1989-1990 season, our first game of the post-Sherman Douglas era!

So, you must have been teammates with L-Train and Doug Overton. Those were some really good LaSalle teams.

'88-'89 and Yes, even though I am a year older than Train. We both entered LaSalle in '86-90. A long story. I was the OG on the team our senior year. CUSE had a hell of a team DC and BO.

'88-'89 and Yes, even though I am a year older than Train. We both entered LaSalle in '86-90. A long story. I was the OG on the team our senior year. CUSE had a hell of a team DC and BO.

I remember [from your earlier post] about Stevie Thompson going 4-4 or 5-5 from three point range that game, as well, and thinking "holy crap--if he can shoot it like this..."

Stevie was the ultimate slasher, but most of his finishes were dunks or in transition. Ultimately, the shooting didn't hold up, and PG ended up being our achilles heel that season. But I agree 100%--that team was loaded otherwise. Coleman, Owens, LeRon Ellis and Dave Johnson were all first round picks.

Can he beat you yet?

The last time I played him he was a 13yr old freshmen. Of course, I beat him. Have not played him one on one ,since. If we played now, I would probably have to beat him up to win without causing bodily injury. (LoL) It would be close but at 45yrs old, if it is a long game he would probably win. I will let you know the results if we play.

I remember [from your earlier post] about Stevie Thompson going 4-4 or 5-5 from three point range that game, as well, and thinking "holy crap--if he can shoot it like this..."

Stevie was the ultimate slasher, but most of his finishes were dunks or in transition. Ultimately, the shooting didn't hold up, and PG ended up being our achilles heel that season. But I agree 100%--that team was loaded otherwise. Coleman, Owens, LeRon Ellis and Dave Johnson were all first round picks.

All I can remember thinking when saw DC come out of the locker room. Damn that's one long Mother...

Maybe the team can borrow that motto after winning the national championship and returning for the repeat... NEVER SATISFIED.
Sounds good to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom