Blame: players versus coaches | Syracusefan.com

Blame: players versus coaches

20Plus

I’m going back-and-forth on if it’s coaching,philosophy, and recruiting?

or players regressing not playing hard, missing shots, careless turnovers, needing more motivation than it should be required etc.

I’m going back-and-forth on if it’s coaching,philosophy, and recruiting?

or players regressing not playing hard, missing shots, careless turnovers, needing more motivation than it should be required etc.

It’s a chicken vs. egg argument but for me it always starts with coaching. If the coaching isn’t adapting with personnel, then the personnel won’t achieve what’s expected, no matter what.

buck always stops at the top. any good coach will tell you that and take the blame.

Coaches.

These kids came to syracuse to develop and hopefully be drafted. Thats why kids leave highschool for college basketball.

They’re not developing. You can only blame the 4 star athletes that had 10+ offers at other p5’s for so long.

Jim should fall on the sword, but blame absolutely goes on the players. Many of you disagreed with me saying they looked past Georgia Tech and ahead to Duke. I'm doubling down on that. They didn't expect it to be as close as it was in the first half and then got punched in the mouth in the second. When four of your five starters mentally take the game off, there's only so much jacket throwing and yelling you can do. They are not freshman. How they came out was inexcusable.

Jim should fall on the sword, but blame absolutely goes on the players. Many of you disagreed with me saying they looked past Georgia Tech and ahead to Duke. I'm doubling down on that. They didn't expect it to be as close as it was in the first half and then got punched in the mouth in the second. When four of your five starters mentally take the game off, there's only so much jacket throwing and yelling you can do. They are not freshman. How they came out was inexcusable.

Good coaches get players to play to the best of their ability and develop and get better.

JB isn't delivering on that with this group.

There are likely a handful of reasons why this is the case, and player focus and buy--in is certainly a factor, but it's not where the majority of the blame lies.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, tbh.

Who shot 7-33 last night, the players or the coaches?
We were deferring shots to a freshmen while Elijah Hughes road the bench. It exceeded a breather.

Say what you will about Frank, even Oshae too, but theres no reason why at any time half our core group was on the bench for the final 10 minutes. We platooned, almost, and it did not allow a single player to try and get in a rhythym

The players are not aggressive. That are not killers out there. They are divas more worried about their hair styles and what shoes to wear that day. Betas!

And while I’m at, forget promoting individuality with the uniform and shoes. Everyone should look exactly the same as a team and they might play like one. Enough of this my shoes are cooler than yours crap

We were deferring shots to a freshmen while Elijah Hughes road the bench. It exceeded a breather.

Say what you will about Frank, even Oshae too, but theres no reason why at any time half our core group was on the bench for the final 10 minutes. We platooned, almost, and it did not allow a single player to try and get in a rhythym
But at the same time, how many people on this board have been complaining about a lack of depth, and Boeheim’s refusal to go more than 6 or 7 deep?

To me, the fact that Oshae had 0 pts and 1 rebound at the half - and Tyus had zero 2nd half points until the game was way out of hand [2 mins remaining, I think before he scored?)... these things can’t be blamed on a coach that didn’t allow his guys time to get into a comfortable rhythm.

Having said that, Boeheim and the staff are not blameless...we never found a consistent way to attack Tech’s zone, which was pretty damn good (interesting how nobody is giving an iota of credit to Ga Tech or their defense).

And while I’m at, forget promoting individuality with the uniform and shoes. Everyone should look exactly the same as a team and they might play like one. Enough of this my shoes are cooler than yours crap

Damn straight. Buzz cuts and PF Flyers for everyone...

hoosiers22.jpg

Who shot 7-33 last night, the players or the coaches?
Shooting is somewhat attached to mental attitude IMO.. Shots fall more when you are mentally up, they tend to clang when you are not... Not saying that's the only factor but it's one of them..

But at the same time, how many people on this board have been complaining about a lack of depth, and Boeheim’s refusal to go more than 6 or 7 deep?

To me, the fact that Oshae had 0 pts and 1 rebound at the half - and Tyus had zero 2nd half points until the game was way out of hand [2 mins remaining, I think before he scored?)... these things can’t be blamed on a coach that didn’t allow his guys time to get into a comfortable rhythm.

Having said that, Boeheim and the staff are not blameless...we never found a consistent way to attack Tech’s zone, which was pretty damn good (interesting how nobody is giving an iota of credit to Ga Tech or their defense).
We still dont have acceptable depth. Our players aren’t developing. We were a possession down going into half and proceeded to get trounced. Sure, the players need to show more heart and not hang their heads when things dont go their way (Tyus) but for how much longer are we going to make excuses for the coaching? He recruited these pieces specifically for the zone, which is half the issue. The zone stops baskets it doesnt make them.

Players.

How many games where both Tyus and Oshae were both off?

You need one to cover for the other when its not falling.

I don't think coaching would make our bigs better.

Players.

Coaches recruited them all.

Elijah absolutely deserved to collect splinters on the bench. He was terrible.

Should we blame the players playing for free or the coaching making millions of dollars?

Not surprised at the responses.

I'll go back to the fact that Brissett gets the ball at the ACC logo, which is what he should be doing but then he has know idea what to do next. Or Buddy gets the ball at the baseline on an overload but then hesitates which lets the D recover. Or the fact that we don't know how to throw a bounce bass to someone on the low block... etc. It is on the players to execute but the way you get better at execution is by repetition during practice which doesn't seem to be happening. The fact that what the kids are supposed to do next after getting the ball in a certain situation is on the coaches.

These kids are high level hoops players... they will do what they are being taught to do. If they aren't being taught a cohesive strategy then you get what we saw on the court last night.

Players.

Tony Bennet takes a team of non-NBA prospects and has them contending for or winning the ACC title every year now seemingly... Built on the toughest defense possible.

He gets his team to buy-in and everyone knows their roll and plays it tenaciously.

We lack all of that last sentence right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom