Block / Charge | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Block / Charge

Will NCAA officials ever get the block / charge call right?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 96.3%

• Total voters
And deliberately undercutting a player jumping for an alley-oop. This happens at least once a game it seems. We've had Moyer, Doleza, Battle and Brissett all go down hard as a result. Past players as well. It's a dangerous and nearly always malicious play that should be called EVERY time.

Hitting an airborne player in the lower body is a big problem. It makes me incensed to hear Syracuse fans say that SU caught a break when Sullinger got his early 2nd in 2012 because that wasn't much contact. You can't push a guy in his hip when he's taking a layup near you.

Way too much contact is allowed around the rim. It seems that virtually anything goes on a dunk as long as the basket is made. And dunkers are too often allowed to ward off the defender with their off arm while they go up.

It's a problem because these aren't full-time refs and there's no uniformity or standard as to what is or isn't a charge. In the college game, there is too much undercutting which rewards the defense. If player safety is something that is valued, it has to be penalized and the only way to do that is to call it a block.

Make charging legal. This sport needs more offense.

You are kidding, right?

Watching these slo mo replays of these guys lowering their shoulders and plowing into the defender’s chest, is educational. I’d like to see that made into a Flagrant I.

Seems like the guy who draws the foul is always the one that gets the ire of fans instead of the offensive player who invades his space. I love it when a player plays great defense, gets in the right position, and draws the charge. That's a great play.

The Sparty player's flop on Brissett has been the only charge against us the entire tourney that I've disagreed with. What exactly is a defender supposed to do when an out-of-control Tyus lowers his shoulder & steamrolls him like a running back, like he does at least twice EVERY game? Sorry, that's a charge. Maybe Tyus should work on more dribble moves instead of relying on that. I think the officiating has been fine for us all tourney. If anything, we're lucky they only call Tyus, Frank, & O'Shae for 1/3 of the offensive fouls they actually commit using their off-arm to push off, though it's often an even trade-off with the no calls on them being grabbed & handchecked.

Seems like the guy who draws the foul is always the one that gets the ire of fans instead of the offensive player who invades his space. I love it when a player plays great defense, gets in the right position, and draws the charge. That's a great play.
And I have to say, some of the charge calls farther from the basket are being made correctly even when the defender is moving. This is a positive trend ... as a defender who has established proper position (in front of the guy with the ball) is entitled to be there. The C/B problem area is with "sliders" under the basket .. when a secondary defender moves over to take a charge from an offensive player who's in the process of rising up to dunk or score. In this situation, the "gathering" rule was the best version yet .. even if some clueless refs (Tony Greene) had trouble with it.

On the other side of this equation is the Villanova problem. They're masters at sending mighty mites all the way down the court, brushing up against a big and standing at the FL all day. Some of that is just being aggressive and playing smart, which is fine. Other times the least bit of contact draws a whistle and bigs wind up fouling out. That's not a fun game to watch. In this context, I have to credit SOME refs that are no-calling these situations where the big walls up and stays vertical.

And I have to say, some of the charge calls farther from the basket are being made correctly even when the defender is moving. This is a positive trend ... as a defender who has established proper position (in front of the guy with the ball) is entitled to be there. The C/B problem area is with "sliders" under the basket .. when a secondary defender moves over to take a charge from an offensive player who's in the process of rising up to dunk or score. In this situation, the "gathering" rule was the best version yet .. even if some clueless refs (Tony Greene) had trouble with it.

On the other side of this equation is the Villanova problem. They're masters at sending mighty mites all the way down the court, brushing up against a big and standing at the FL all day. Some of that is just being aggressive and playing smart, which is fine. Other times the least bit of contact draws a whistle and bigs wind up fouling out. That's not a fun game to watch. In this context, I have to credit SOME refs that are no-calling these situations where the big walls up and stays vertical.

This I agree with entirely. The offensive player who barrels into his own defender has committed a charge and should be called for it. I'm not bothered by that - the defender is playing good defense, and not just trying to get run over. It's the secondary defender, who rather than actually making an effort to defend the play, creates contact that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Agree too that no-calls should be more common.

Get rid of the block/charge completely.

Only call offensive fouls when a guy pushes off, hooks his arm around his defender to get by, goes over the back or sets a moving screen. If a kid still tries taking a charge, it's automatically a defensive foul.

Only call offensive fouls when a guy pushes off, hooks his arm around his defender to get by, goes over the back or sets a moving screen. If a [secondary defender] tries taking a charge [by moving over to a stationary position within 8 feet of the basket], it's automatically a [block].

Extend the restricted circle? I like that idea.

Only call offensive fouls when a guy pushes off, hooks his arm around his defender to get by, goes over the back or sets a moving screen. If a kid still tries taking a charge, it's automatically a defensive foul.

...or bowls someone over on an out-of-control drive.

Three rule changes (or emphasis on existing rules) I’d like to see:

1. Eliminate the secondary defender charge completely, as argued many times in this thread.
2. Eliminate “kicked” balls. It makes no sense to me why you couldn’t use your feet if the offense is allowed to use bounce passes that travel directly by your feet - and too often there’s an automatic call that it was kicked even when the offense just throws it off a defenders stationary foot.
3. Call fouls on “jump balls” when a guy is dog piled with the ball on the court. Those are not jump balls and I’m really surprised there haven’t been more serious injuries due to these shenanigans.

I feel like officials love to make the charge call more than any other call. Half of them do a little jig. It only adds to the annoyance of when they get it wrong.

It’s called “selling the call.” Try to be right. But at least be confident you’re right.

I think for the most part, they get it wrong a lot. Most of the time the defender moves into the offensive player and they call it a charge. My biggest related pet peeve though is the guy who you can see that before he even gets over the half court line he's going to run into someone hard down the court...and he does...and they call a block with the defender in a good position.

Ref must have felt like an idiot when he saw the replay.

It would be nice if they docked him a game or two as punishment

Analogy: “Taking a charge”

The entire situation of undercutting, blocking and charging is like not having a gate and lights at a railroad crossing.

A school bus taking children home from school is stuck at the crossing, front wheels on one side of the tracks and rears on the other and within sight a train is just down the tracks moving quickly.

The train, which cannot stop on a dime, plows through the middle of the bus injuring or killing school kids.

Undercutting and taking a charge is inherently dangerous and unless someone eliminates the rule someone, someday, is going to go up for a dunk or layup get his legs taken out land on his head or neck and be paralyzed.

Taking a charge – the offensive player goes in for a layup full speed and the defensive player knowing he's got this takes a knee in the face and ends up with a concussion or fractured skull.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this but I don't think so.

Sometimes an incident like this has to happen before anything is done about it and the consequences are very serious.

Analogy: “Taking a charge”

The entire situation of undercutting, blocking and charging is like not having a gate and lights at a railroad crossing.

A school bus taking children home from school is stuck at the crossing, front wheels on one side of the tracks and rears on the other and within sight a train is just down the tracks moving quickly.

The train, which cannot stop on a dime, plows through the middle of the bus injuring or killing school kids.

Undercutting and taking a charge is inherently dangerous and unless someone eliminates the rule someone, someday, is going to go up for a dunk or layup get his legs taken out land on his head or neck and be paralyzed.

Taking a charge – the offensive player goes in for a layup full speed and the defensive player knowing he's got this takes a knee in the face and ends up with a concussion or fractured skull.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this but I don't think so.

Sometimes an incident like this has to happen before anything is done about it and the consequences are very serious.
"undercutting" is already illegal. That's not "taking a charge".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom