Bob Chesney | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

I’m all about silver linings and mark my words, this will be the Ben Schwartzwalder of hires.
This post will now commence to aging well - if he’s the coach.

Alright, I'll bite

Those SU fans who are high on Bob Chesney as a coaching candidate, why? Besides the track record for turning programs around.

This feels like punting on 4th and 3 from the opponents 38 yard line. Mullen would have provided a huge shot in the arm to the program. Players would have stayed, recruiting would have been an uptick, ticket sales would have been boosted, etc. Now it feels like all other candidates are going to be the exact opposite. We needed an experienced, successful P5 level coach and Mullen was it. Syracuse Football - let’s save some money and roll the dice. ‍

Happy Gilmore GIF

And on the Sunday after Thanksgiving following a tweet from Coach Dan Mullen, Bob arose from the dead….

I couldn't be more against hiring this guy. He might be a great football coach but he has never recruited at this level and he has never coached against guys at this level.
I can talk myself into it, but he basically has to be flawless. There's no time. We need to win next season, and he's got to recruit the portal and get a class in place to a degree that feels unreasonable.

I’m more concerned about not losing players to the portal than anything else right now. Does a Chesney announcement instill confidence or send players running to the portal?

The Mullen call to Wildhack may turn to be something that bites us as it unfairly compares Chesney to Mullen.

I can talk myself into it, but he basically has to be flawless. There's no time. We need to win next season, and he's got to recruit the portal and get a class in place to a degree that feels unreasonable.
I just don’t get how he plans to recruit. Does he think people will come for blind faith? He has no track record of success to point to.

Chesney is a good coach and with a good track record at D3, D2, and D1 FCS. The only losing season he ever coached was 5-6 his first year at Holy Cross.

Look at the amount of losing seasons each of the schools he coached at had before he got there. He turned all 3 programs he coached at around immediately.

There are good reasons to be optimistic about Chesney.

Chesney is a good coach and with a good track record at D3, D2, and D1 FCS. The only losing season he ever coached was 5-6 his first year at Holy Cross.

Look at the amount of losing seasons each of the schools he coached at had before he got there. He turned all 3 programs he coached at around immediately.

There are good reasons to be optimistic about Chesney.
Yeah, he is a good coach. That has never recruited at this level before. That has never coached against the talent he will be coaching against. We just don't have time for a guy to learn on the job. If it is him, it is a big risk. Too big.

Yeah, he is a good coach. That has never recruited at this level before. That has never coached against the talent he will be coaching against. We just don't have time for a guy to learn on the job. If it is him, it is a big risk. Too big.
Maybe a HC alum will show him 250 pages of message boards and he’ll say no thanks. Try for the Toledo guy, unless Indiana gets him.

Chesney has some coaches that have been with him for 5+ years. His first test will be to understand he needs to keep some of our current coaches with P4 experience. My estimate fwiw is that Beck, Long, Campanile and a few other current SU coaches are retained.

Wildhack did say that this was not a complete rebuild and that we only needed a few missing pieces.

His staff includes Drew Allen, a ST coach for 12 years. He has been with Chesnry for 9 years. This guy has consistently produced good ST. I think he joins SU. Recruiting area CT, western MA, SE FL

Scott James DC has been with Chesney for 6 years. In2021 has best FCS Defense immn the nation. Maybe he comes Nick Della to learn under Rocky? Recruiting area MA, ME, NH, VT, NY.

Dean Kennedy OC has been with Chesney since 2022. Good but green. Betting he tries to keep Beck. Recruiting area GA FL

Kyle Barnes CB has been with Chesney since 2022. Recruiting area MD DC, VA, WV. My guess is Travis Fisher stays.

Mike Cordova RB has been with Chesney since 2922. Recruiting area NC, SC, TN
My guess Mike Lynch stays.

Chris Zarkoskie OL has been with Chesney 1 season. Recruiting area Midwest My guess is Steve Farmer stays.

Nick Della Jacono DL one season with Chesney. Recruiting area NJ, DE. PA.
My guess Chris Achuff stays.

Sorry, can't get behind this guy. I'm out. Have a good off season, everyone. See you all in Hell.

Edit: I'd prefer Nunzio and the current staff to anything Bob Chesney could put together. If Chesney comes in as the head of the current staff, I could get behind that, but would still be immensely disappointed that it's not Dan Mullen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom