Boeheim comes to Baber's defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim comes to Baber's defense

I know it’s too late now but JB mentioned how hard it was to move on from TD but it was the right decision - last year Kadary was your Shrader and you didn’t make the hard decision
Great post. JB better hope Joe plays better against real comp than he did against Pace.

I know it’s too late now but JB mentioned how hard it was to move on from TD but it was the right decision - last year Kadary was your Shrader and you didn’t make the hard decision
Kadary didn’t want to do the things to be #1, Shrader did. People lionized the kid when JB plays and starts the players who do the things he wants them to do.

Shrader made his case by how he went about his business. Kadary didn’t and now plays in a lesser conference for a lesser coach.

Mehhhh he makes some good points but my counter to that is, I am someone who played football all the way to college and a year in college , and there isn’t one division 1 coach past or present including Grob who has forgotten more about football then I and most people know. But that doesn’t mean if you don’t get the job done you shouldn’t be fired. Big time
College football is only about winning. Dino just has not won consistently. Winning at Va Tech was a great step but I have said all along I thought he he should get fired if he didn’t make it to a bowl game and I still feel that way, however I think if he wins one more game he is safe for better or worse. Hopefully the team wins 2 more games and it’s a non issue.
There's an irony in a message board poster saying a college coach doesn't know what he's talking based on a statement made immediately after said coach said fans don't know what they're talking about.

He defended Scott Shafer also. JB defends coaches - it's just what he does.
If someone can point to Jim not defending a Syracuse football coach i'm all ears.

He's always been a tremendous company person considering A) he never left B) doesn't seem to ever strong arm the university into ridiculous extensions/pay raises and C) rarely criticizes his bosses or co-workers.

This isn't a criticism it may be Jim's best attribute.

If someone can point to Jim not defending a Syracuse football coach i'm all ears.

He's always been a tremendous company person considering A) he never left B) doesn't seem to ever strong arm the university into ridiculous extensions/pay raises and C) rarely criticizes his bosses or co-workers.

One exception to never criticizing his bosses: His defense of fired coaches

Exactly. JB is a Homer. He’s all SU. And he is inherently defensive of coaches. I’m okay with that. I also love how fans say what the right thing to do is in every situation, when they don’t have all of the information that the coaches do, and typically these decisions have to be made in a matter of seconds, not three days later on a message board. The typical message board fan would crap their pants if they had to make split second decisions over and over in live game situations. Lots of opportunities for second guessing.

Exactly. JB is a Homer. He’s all SU. And he is inherently defensive of coaches. I’m okay with that. I also love how fans say what the right thing to do is in every situation, when they don’t have all of the information that the coaches do, and typically these decisions have to be made in a matter of seconds, not three days later on a message board. The typical message board fan would crap their pants if they had to make split second decisions over and over in live game situations. Lots of opportunities for second guessing.
If you are well prepared for those situations and generally follow the probabilities, those split second decisions aren't that hard. They are already made before they even happen.

Again JB needs to stay in his lane. Also something is going to be said one day that isn't innocuous and we are all going to act shocked.

If you are well prepared for those situations and generally follow the probabilities, those split second decisions aren't that hard. They are already made before they even happen.
Sure. You know what else? When fans start knit picking on one issue over and over they start looking for things that don’t always exist. Fans do what fans do.

“The play calling sucks!”
“Why do they always run to the short field?”
“These players don’t want it enough!”
“The game had passed him by.”
“He’s lost the team!”
“His sideline demeanor is why we lost.”

I see this as just more of the same. I get Dino has made some bad decisions. All coaches do. But this “issue” has been so far overblown, it’s ridiculous.

Are you suggesting that was an easy, no brainer decision?
I am. One qb wasnt winning games, it wasn’t like it could get worse

Sure. You know what else? When fans start knit picking on one issue over and over they start looking for things that don’t always exist. Fans do what fans do.

“He’s lost the team!”

I see this as just more of the same. I get Dino has made some bad decisions. All coaches do. But this “issue” has been so far overblown, it’s ridiculous.

Absolutely. Agree 100%

Boeheim says people don’t know because they’re not at practice? Almost every CFB talking head has commented on Dino’s bad clock management. Dino was trending on Twitter a couple of weeks with bad clock management.

I’m not calling for Dino to be fired but people weren't commented on benching DeVito as much as questioning why he takes two time outs back to back to get a play off or why does he take time outs coming out of a commercial break or getting a delay of game after scoring a touchdown or why when down by two scores with 2 minutes left when the other team has the ball and we have three time outs does he not take them to stop the clock?

Boeheim makes it sound like benching DeVito was the hardest decision ever made but people weren’t even really questioning that
who is the CFB talking about Dino? I havent heard 1 mention on any of the sites i listen too mention it.

most of the clock issues we complain about early are over blown on this board. it feels like people here dont watch it happen every week at every level.. we are all complainers but we also ignore it happens to all coaches not just the ones we care about. the more talent you have the more it gets glossed over .

There's an irony in a message board poster saying a college coach doesn't know what he's talking based on a statement made immediately after said coach said fans don't know what they're talking about.
It’s also ironic that JB says fans don’t know the right decisions because they’re not at practice every day and then says that Dino 100% made all of the right decisions even though he’s not at practice every day.

yup.. trying making these decisions on the fly in grade school sports is hard enough. sometimes the decision you make messes a kid up too and you need to deal with that as well.

It’s also ironic that JB says fans don’t know the right decisions because they’re not at practice every day and then says that Dino 100% made all of the right decisions even though he’s not at practice every day.
actually it reinforces what he is saying.. there are the decisions we make on what we see, and the ones we would make with what we know.. 4th and 1 sneak it.. but what if in practice the QB falls down 75% of the time or they dont snap it well.. we dont know that.

and we all 2nd guess the decisions but making those choices while watching we have 1/100 of the distractions they have while on the field.

“He’s lost the team!”

Dino's game management issue has cost us multiple games already. It's not overblown.

Maybe because they're friends and fellow head coaches. Maybe because they understand the position each is in better than any of you.
Seems like only last year a number of fans on the BB forum wanted JB to retire. Now some are saying this is probably his best team in years. Oh the fickle winds of fate. :rolleyes:
Amen

yup.. trying making these decisions on the fly in grade school sports is hard enough. sometimes the decision you make messes a kid up too and you need to deal with that as well.

What Dino is doing is like playing Blackjack without generally knowing the tables. You increase the chances of success if you use the tables. Being prepared ahead of time makes a difference.

Most coaches are over consumed with the Xs and Os and do not put enough into time management and probability. Kind of like how many coaches do not put enough emphasis into Special Teams. Just because other coaches do it, doesn't mean we should accept it.

What Dino is doing is like playing Blackjack without generally knowing the tables. You increase the chances of success if you use the tables. Being prepared ahead of time makes a difference.

Most coaches are over consumed with the Xs and Os and do not put enough into time management and probability. Kind of like how many coaches do not put enough emphasis into Special Teams. Just because other coaches do it, doesn't mean we should accept it.

What you are doing is fan message forum banter and that is fine it's what we are all here for. Every fanbase does it. It's like JB said, Dino made a tough decision and many here ask why he didn't do it from game one? Valid question but nobody knows all the details. I feel you claim everything is much easier than it actually is because you are home on your couch watching a game on TV. Games are constantly going in 100 different directions and mistakes get made and decisions get second guessed constantly. What isn't known are the plays that never happen. There are zero guarantees of what would be the result of an alternative decision. That is why I never agree with we should be 7-1 or whatever it is. Do we win the game if the hold is called versus FSU? I have no idea nor do you. It kind of defies logic.

Yes, Dino has made mistakes and the special teams while usually adequate have taken a step back this year. Our punter has been our best player on the team on several occasions. IMO, things aren't as easy as you claim them to be and there hasn't been a Syracuse coach in 25 years that this forum has agreed with their clock management, 4th down calls or play calling over an extended period of time. It's what fans do.

A college football game with 10,000 moving pieces isn't like playing black jack. You have your opinion and I have mine I just see it different but certainly see where you are coming from I just don't think it's that straight forward because mistakes by coaches and players will always happen.

Last edited:
Dino's game management issue has cost us multiple games already. It's not overblown.
Two things can be true at the same. For example, a coach may make a wrong call that may have lost a game (which happens literally everywhere in sports every day), and fans can overreact.

These topics have been dissected and discussed ad nauseam. But for every one of those “missed” calls, the “correct” call still depends some some additional, often external factors. A player still needs to make the FG, a defense still needs to stop the first down, a QB off the bench cold could fumble the snap from a replacement center, an offense still needs to execute without a penalty. We just don’t know what the outcome may have been. It’s conjecture. Great stuff for message board masturbation, but not good for much else.

And finally, when things are going well, it always strikes me as odd when people insist on beating a negative drum.

JB should stay in his lane. Moreover, concentrating far more on getting his team out of the realm of perennial mediocrity, middling conference records and nowhere near the top of the league since being an ACC member. And, winning more than one game in the ACC tournament, so that we can at least get to one know what it may feel like to be in an ACC conference semi-final.

JB should stay in his lane. Moreover, concentrating far more on getting his team out of the realm of perennial mediocrity, middling conference records and nowhere near the top of the league since being an ACC member. And, winning more than one game in the ACC tournament, so that we can at least get to one know what it may feel like to be in an ACC conference semi-final.

I think JB has earned the right to speak freely with regard to many topics. Coaching in general being one of them. I think he knows a thing or two about that topic. Some issues? Sure stay in the lane, coaching not so much.

I think JB has earned the right to speak freely with regard to many topics. Coaching in general being one of them. I think he knows a thing or two about that topic. Some issues? Sure stay in the lane, coaching not so much.

Okay. Perhaps, you may hire a plumber next time you need an electrician...trades being trades and all. ;)

JB was also against the Carrier Dome and the Big East. No honest coach would say that Dino's done a good job with clock management this year (or previous 2 years). As said above, JB will always defend other coaches (though he doesn't mind throwing some of his players under the bus).
It's also very JB to make these type of statements after a big win or a big performance to try to validate his point (See last year with Buddy/Girard VS Kadary).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom