Boeheim comes to Baber's defense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim comes to Baber's defense

As a literary device, the irony is you saying Boeheim doesn't know what he's talking about when he says the fans don't know what they're talking about.
I am well aware of the definition of Irony, I never said he doesn't know what he is talking about, I said MEhh i do not agree because it doesn't matter what JB thinks was a right or wrong choice it did not prove to be successful and Syracuse lost. All of the choices can be theoretically correct choices but if you lose and continue to lose you are failing at your job. Again lets just hope Va Tech was a momentum builder and we win out.

We all question calls. I question calls in all sports from professional to little league. The difference is the coaches are making decisions based on relationships I dont have and info on the players and schemes that I dont know about. I enjoy seeing peoples's thoughts and opinions on message boards. It generates dialogue but its hard to take peoples thoughts on decision making serious when they are not in the trenches with that team.
I agree. No one knows all the moving parts behind the scenes. People will think a QB stinks because he threw a ball into the ground but the D was zone and the WR was suppose to sit or something like that.

But everyone knows Sean Tucker is one of the best players in the country and Szmyt was 20% over 40 yards. I don’t think many would complain or second guess Dino for giving it to Tucker twice to get a first down.

Well then again I guess some would haha

I agree. No one knows all the moving parts behind the scenes. People will think a QB stinks because he threw a ball into the ground but the D was zone and the WR was suppose to sit or something like that.

But everyone knows Sean Tucker is one of the best players in the country and Szmyt was 20% over 40 yards. I don’t think many would complain or second guess Dino for giving it to Tucker twice to get a first down.

Well then again I guess some would haha
All good points

Okay. Perhaps, you may hire a plumber next time you need an electrician...trades being trades and all. ;)

If said plumber has 45-50 years experience, most will know a thing or two about electrical work and the overall MEP process. They certainly will be able to comment on what an issue is overall. Buildings don't get built in a vacuum. All Pumps, water heaters, etc all don't run on gravity last time I checked. Trades being trades you know.

Is JB claiming to know how to coach football? or how to coach a team in college athletics? There is a difference

Read all of my post not some of it. Read the part where I said Im not sure if he should be retained. There are obvious weaknesses that we all see from Dino.

Going for it on 4th down doesnt mean it the right call. Not sure how you can go into a game and pre determine to go for it on all 4th downs. You have to know coaching and have a feel for your team and the moment.
Agree but I am certainly not saying go for it on all fourth downs, that would be insane. I am saying, in those similar spots, I hope we pull the trigger again. Fourth and 1 is not the same every game, but there are certainly instances surrounding it that make a lot of sense one way or the other and in the case of our team, the argument is very often in favor to do it.

If said plumber has 45-50 years experience, most will know a thing or two about electrical work and the overall MEP process. They certainly will be able to comment on what an issue is overall. Buildings don't get built in a vacuum. All Pumps, water heaters, etc all don't run on gravity last time I checked. Trades being trades you know.

Is JB claiming to know how to coach football? or how to coach a team in college athletics? There is a difference
Spoken like an experienced contractor.

Ive seen Saban have to burn timeouts this season because his guys weren't lined up correctly.
yup and be pissed about it.. belicheck much the same and he also is one the best at details.

VT used a TO at the end of the half that allowed us to actually kick the FG in that same sequence of plays.. was it a bad decision because Shrader would have been stopped or a good one if we had gotten in?

Another "the fans are stupid and have no right to have an opinion about the program" waxing Boeheim...

It goes great with "the local media are idiots and I will use this press conference to publicly berate them with each question because it makes me feel superior" perspective...

Love Jimmy, but jeezus, he lives to yell the "get off my lawn" schtick... curmudgeon.

Agree but I am certainly not saying go for it on all fourth downs, that would be insane. I am saying, in those similar spots, I hope we pull the trigger again. Fourth and 1 is not the same every game, but there are certainly instances surrounding it that make a lot of sense one way or the other and in the case of our team, the argument is very often in favor to do it.
I agree. Just to add on. As a coach my first thought on 4th down attempts is how much of a momentum changer it could be for the opponent and for us? What's the level of risk? Ive seen games lost because of 4th down decisions ( it changes the momentum) and increase or reduce morale. Thats something you can't predict for each team. Coaches might have faith that it well go in their favor but a lot of the times its a gamble that can go either way.

Last edited:
If you are well prepared for those situations and generally follow the probabilities, those split second decisions aren't that hard. They are already made before they even happen.
Got to be ready to vary from probabilities: momentum and belief in being able to acheive are not measurable, but are real.

Got to be ready to vary from probabilities: momentum and belief in being able to acheive are not measurable, but are real.
we all remember the good bad decisions for us but ignore most of the other times the opp makes those same decisions..

Much like the numbers say go for it on 4th down, but then again thats based on what happens after the fact. say I go for it on 4th and fail but the next play the offense fumbles gives it back and I score.. the numbers say going for it was a good thing but it really was a non factor.

who is going for it matters too. The better the team the more they succeed the more they go for it. that skews numbers in a world where the sample size is pretty small.

Navy was ahead of Cinci Sat did an onside kick failed and Cinci took the short field and scored and never looked back.. had it worked maybe they take a 14 pt lead.. you never know..

Im much more in the go for it now with Shrader than with TD just because the options of plays are better but I still would have kicked the FG 2 weeks ago.

while winning is the goal of the coach, not winning does not make him a failure at his job..

thats like saying a prof is a failure because a kid doesnt pass a course.

if we had played these games 30 yrs ago and the Fg kicker had done is job we would have 2 less losses and maybe be 4-2-2 and the fans outlook would be much different..

While I appreciate some of your takes, I'm not quite sure this analogy holds water. Now maybe if the professor recruited all of his own students...

I agree. There are other factors. You should never use the math to make the decision but use it to aid your decision. If you are well prepared then your decision shouldn't be all that hard.

If a coach was asked why did you make that decision and said I erred on the side of analytics, can people get too upset? Or if a coach said I know the analytics but chose otherwise given how the game was going? Then the fans wouldn't get too upset, as long as when you go against the math you don't get it wrong all the time. This makes their press conferences so much easier. Instead we get coach speak.

While I appreciate some of your takes, I'm not quite sure this analogy holds water. Now maybe if the professor recruited all of his own students...
we all want to win. we want a NC.. but if we are competing and the games are fun and we create good kids who graduate, I can live with some last 2nd losses.. a couple yrs to turn it around.. a great yr, a down yr and then a yr we probably shouldnt have played.. Now we are turning it around again.. This yr even with the losses we are much better than yr 1-2. Lets see where it goes this yr and next and then decide. 6-6/5-7 might be the next 2 yrs..

we all want to win. we want a NC.. but if we are competing and the games are fun and we create good kids who graduate, I can live with some last 2nd losses.. a couple yrs to turn it around.. a great yr, a down yr and then a yr we probably shouldnt have played.. Now we are turning it around again.. This yr even with the losses we are much better than yr 1-2. Lets see where it goes this yr and next and then decide. 6-6/5-7 might be the next 2 yrs..

There is still plenty of football left to play. When we evaluate this season we need to take into account that this is the easiest schedule we have had since joining the ACC. Not getting 6 Ws will not give confidence that we get to 6 Ws next season given the much more difficult schedule. We can be much improved but not have it show in the W/L column. It might be a 2012 like season where we have a Top 25 team but only go 7-5 due to the tough schedule.

Going for it on 4th down is more than just making the decision and calling a good play. It's about setting the standard to the players that you're going to be aggressive in big moments and you're putting trust in your players to make the necessary plays. But it's also on the coach to prepare the players for when things don't work out, and to mentally forget about it so the other team doesn't pounce. Much like giving up a big play or turning the ball over, have to be mentally ready to bounce back and make a play.

Wow, I find it interesting how some take themselves so seriously here. I guess you ignored my wink emoji to boot. :)

FWIW, I've been around the building industry for decades. My wife was an executive at NVR, Inc., for years...exceptional company whose stock price is hovering around $4900/share. :)

Maybe because they're friends and fellow head coaches. Maybe because they understand the position each is in better than any of you.
Seems like only last year a number of fans on the BB forum wanted JB to retire. Now some are saying this is probably his best team in years. Oh the fickle winds of fate. :rolleyes:
And the talking clowns on The Score 1260 say that JB should retire just because of his age.

I think you can make an argument for some of Dino's 4th down calls. The bigger issue to me is the consistent issues with time/timeout management, which has been problem for years. It's frustrating to see us continually call timeouts when the clock was already stopped and not have them available when it's moving.

I think you can make an argument for some of Dino's 4th down calls. The bigger issue to me is the consistent issues with time/timeout management, which has been problem for years. It's frustrating to see us continually call timeouts when the clock was already stopped and not have them available when it's moving.
Also there rarely is urgency. Our 2 min O seems to go slower than our normal O. If we were going fast we absolutely get one more play in before the missed FG.

JB flirts with .500 in ACC play every year but his first . of course he'd defend dino's mediocrity.

This is another reason I absolutely love JB and perfectly sums up my feelings on Babers. Feel free to throw darts at me, and yes he has made mistakes, but JB perfectly encapsulates how I feel about the criticism of Babers.

Fast forward to the 7:05 mark.

My biggest takeaway from all of this (watched the whole thing, start to finish) is that JB thinks that this could be a pretty, pretty good team this year.

Nice defense of Babers. I generally agree that the measure of a coach is how his team plays, and our team plays hard. Babers had the courage to make a HUGE decision in changing QBs, and it has changed who they are as a team. JB himself said, "They have been in every game" since the decision was made.

That was the measure of this year. Can we compete again, just have a solid chance to win games against our peers? I think we appear to be right about there. A whole new identity is emerging.

JB flirts with .500 in ACC play every year but his first . of course he'd defend dino's mediocrity.

Oh come on, that's not the attitude to have, going into a new year. We could be surprisingly good this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom