Boeheim on Cowherd's show re: Lebron | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim on Cowherd's show re: Lebron

Especially considering what a flake his mother is. Given that, it is remarkable that LBJ has basically been squeaky clean. I don't like the guy, and like you say he's made a couple of bonehead maneuvers, but I don't think anyone can accurately claim that he is a bad seed in any way.

When you look at his mom, plus the fame he got at a young age, I'd say it speaks quite well of Lebron the way he has matured and become a man. Dude's not perfect by any means, but if the worst thing he does in his life is The Decision, then I think he's probably a pretty solid guy.

I'm not sure if that was Boeheim or some posters on here, but I do know that Boeheim said in July of 2010 that Triche was an immediate upgrade over Flynn in terms of true point guard skills.

He also said in summer 2006 that Paul Harris would be the likely national freshman of the year (over Durant and Oden, among others).

He supports his guys. Can't fault him for that. But he does have a history of saying borderline-ridiculous things, wildly exaggerating statistics and making player claims and comparisons that most would find far-fetched.

Not a criticism, but just a caution about the remark about James: Boeheim's not serious. Just another off-the-cuff claim that can be roughly translated as "I enjoyed coaching this young man and think the world of him."

Or...maybe:

-LeBron can effectively guard all 5 positions on the court
-Score in the post
-Pass out of the post and in the open court
-Shoot a mid-range jumper
-Rebound

Huh. Maybe it's that he's good. It's hilarious how the LeBron discussion has now morphed into "Boeheim's not serious" because he said Triche (a player who had to play for him for two more years) was better than Flynn.

Maybe Boeheim thinks he's this good:
3X MVP, NBA Champ, NBA Finals MVP, 8X All-Star, Rookie of the Year, 4X Defensive First Team, NBA Scoring Champion

44cuse

Or...maybe:

-LeBron can effectively guard all 5 positions on the court
-Score in the post
-Pass out of the post and in the open court
-Shoot a mid-range jumper
-Rebound

Huh. Maybe it's that he's good. It's hilarious how the LeBron discussion has now morphed into "Boeheim's not serious" because he said Triche (a player who had to play for him for two more years) was better than Flynn.

Maybe Boeheim thinks he's this good:
3X MVP, NBA Champ, NBA Finals MVP, 8X All-Star, Rookie of the Year, 4X Defensive First Team, NBA Scoring Champion

44cuse

Exactly...in this case, Boeheim is talking about things that have already happened. Not about what might be.

I think this is more JB being loyal to his guys on the Olympic squad, just like he does with the SU guys.

I think that is why he ended the statement with, "I'm not so sure". It's non-committal, still gives praise to Lebron, but doesn't make the ridiculous notion that Lebron is the best player ever over MJ.

I agree. JB would never diss Scoop's future father-in-law.

Exactly...in this case, Boeheim is talking about things that have already happened. Not about what might be.

If JB says Triche will be better than Flynn and PH was gonna be National Rookie of the Year...then obviously he does not mean what he says about a guy who never played for him (in college) and isn't going to play for him (in college) down the road.

The logic on this board baffles sometimes.

44cuse

If JB says Triche will be better than Flynn and PH was gonna be National Rookie of the Year...then obviously he does not mean what he says about a guy who never played for him (in college) and isn't going to play for him (in college) down the road.

The logic on this board baffles sometimes.

44cuse

I think some of the people here still want to keep hope alive that Melo ends up better than Lebron. This has been going on since '02 and will continue until after they retire on this board.

I think some of the people here still want to keep hope alive that Melo ends up better than Lebron. This has been going on since '02 and will continue until after they retire on this board.

They're gonna retire on this board!? (Sorry, I couldn't resist). ;)

44cuse

I don't give a s--- about Carmelo or comparisons between him and LeBron. People who take Boeheim's proclamations and comparisons at face value have every right, but it's silly that they'd do so.

Boeheim deals in exaggeration. Anyone who even semi-seriously follows Syracuse basketball and doesn't recognize this is far too imperceptive to impugn my logic or critical thinking ability.

If Boeheim was just protecting "his guys" ...then why not say it about Carmelo?

Because swapping Melo for Lebron in that statement is so outrageous that it wouldn't allow for even a slight bit of credibility.

With Lebron, you can make that statement, couch it in "I'm not sure", and have it have some credibility since Lebron 1) just had an insane year, 2) puts up insane numbers and 3) is a physical freak of nature.

Melo, who is my favorite player, cannot even be mentioned in the same breath as MJ, and, for that matter, Lebron.

I think it's more likely that if JB hadn't coached the Olympic team that he wouldn't have said this. (Want to rephrase that slightly; I think coaching him made JB more likely to say this) But it's also somewhat reasonable.

I think it's more likely that if JB hadn't coached the Olympic team that he wouldn't have said this. (Want to rephrase that slightly; I think coaching him made JB more likely to say this) But it's also somewhat reasonable.
I'd agree with this simply because it gave JB a first hand look at LBJ. As far as talent, there is nobody in the league that has LBJ's overall talent. And that is from someone who does not particularly care for the man.
If you were listening to the commentary of the Gold Medal game, you heard Doug Collins say that MJ and LBJ had the best basketball minds he had ever experienced. So JB saying he wasn't sure who was best, probably wasn't so far fetched as some would like to make it.

Ugh, you are the dirt worst poster on this board.

YOU literally start every Lebron post. You are keeping this alive. No one thinks this.

Why do you keep beating this dead and rotting horse? Do you really believe that any criticism directed towards LeBron is only driven by a Melo bias? Seriously?
You keep selling folks short by suggesting that critiquing LBJ, is somehow only because of an irrational support for Melo. Give people more credit than that, why don't you?
Let it go, dude.
Let. It. Go. Oh Lord

I would love to give it to the guy who can break down triple teams, look good while doing it and score with a nice jumper as well, which is Jordan. Lebron isn't dribbling circles around anyone,
but you can't expect a 6'9 guy to do that, he would be prone to take it to the rim.

Lebron is a point forward though, I don't believe his scoring game is quite as good as Jordans, but hes still young. I mean Jordan could dribble 4 circles around a entire team and pull up for a confident jumper doing so at any second. There was little difference from away from or to the basket for the guy.

Got to wonder how the current heat and the old bulls would match up though, espeically with Lebron on the perimeter on both ends. Wade, Pippen, Jordan, and Lebron going at it up top. Wow.

I would love to give it to the guy who can break down triple teams, look good while doing it and score with a nice jumper as well, which is Jordan. Lebron isn't dribbling circles around anyone,
but you can't expect a 6'9 guy to do that, he would be prone to take it to the rim.

Lebron is a point forward though, I don't believe his scoring game is quite as good as Jordans, but hes still young. I mean Jordan could dribble 4 circles around a entire team and pull up for a confident jumper doing so at any second. There was little difference from away from or to the basket for the guy.

Got to wonder how the current heat and the old bulls would match up though, espeically with Lebron on the perimeter on both ends. Wade, Pippen, Jordan, and Lebron going at it up top. Wow.

I would still take Jordan (although by not nearly the wide margin some here would). But the counter to that is that Jordan cannot guard all 5 positions on the court and LeBron can. Also, Jordan wasn't the passer LeBron is.

44cuse

Just a opinion I get from their body language.
Jordan was crazy in isolation, and very instinctive. Lebron plays alot off his body athleticism and IQ.
Jordan was so instinctive he could be 3 moves ahead, where Lebron is more reactory to finding advantages.

I'm not sure Lebron will ever find the instinct that Jordan had. I would say guys like Melo Pierce, and Dirk are more instinctive as forwards, but they also are score first.

I also believe he starts every first practice of the season with "We have a real shot to win the national title this year"

And the last few years he's been right :)

Just a opinion I get from their body language.
Jordan was crazy in isolation, and very instinctive. Lebron plays alot off his body athleticism and IQ.
Jordan was so instinctive he could be 3 moves ahead, where Lebron is more reactory to finding advantages.

I'm not sure Lebron will ever find the instinct that Jordan had. I would say guys like Melo Pierce, and Dirk are more instinctive as forwards, but they also are score first.

Jordan had that killer instinct. He willed his team to victory. LeBron does not seem to have that as much- he's more of a team mate who can lead than a leader. I now believe LeBron has more physical gifts. If he wanted to, he could out number Jordan in any area- rebounds, points, shooting percentage, assists. Jordan had the nasty in him. LeBron not so much. Championship on the line with one play to go- I want MJ. But in all other aspects (which are not as important) I want LeBron.

I listened to the interview live today (and BTW, Coach K is on Colin's show on Wednesday) and I really think it's impossible to compare the two. I was probably the biggest MJ fan in the world. It was amazing that when he had the ball that you knew exactly what was going to happen next and during crunch time, more times than not, MJ led his team to victory. There are guys who wore Bulls uniforms that have no right having NBA championship rings.

This is where I think there are differences between the two. I love LBJ as well. Just like Durant. Both of those guys have talents that very few have had. However, so far they are not the winners that MJ was. Sure, they can take over a game, just like any NBA superstar can. Kobe has done in it his career better than anyone not named MJ.

The NBA is a funny league. I love when people say that they can't stand watching the NBA. It's much different basketball than college. Just like the Olympics is much different than the NBA. But the top players in the NBA are incredible athletes. I tell people who don't like the NBA to subscribe to League Pass. That's when you get to see the careers of players such as Kevin Durant and Deron Williams unfold into becoming International superstars. It's great theater.

Anyways, back to the original argument. Jordan is still the best offensive player of all time. Kobe might be second best. LBJ might end his career as the best all around player. JB was very adamant about how LBJ has progressed over the last four years and how hard he works. Plus he is only going to be 28 in December. People forget that he got started a lot earlier than MJ did.

Especially considering what a flake his mother is. Given that, it is remarkable that LBJ has basically been squeaky clean. I don't like the guy, and like you say he's made a couple of bonehead maneuvers, but I don't think anyone can accurately claim that he is a bad seed in any way.

Good point about his mom.

Lebron never beat Boeheim.
In '83 Jordan & co. combined to give Boeheim what was his worst loss ever at the time.
Somehow that game was tied at halftime.
We went up 4 in the second half.
Then UNC took off.
They just took it to the hoop and lived at the foul line.
An ugly evening in Charlotte.

http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2012/4/5/NorthCarolinabox1.8.83.pdf?id=6461
Good thing Worthy decided to graduate a year early. Check out the rebounds and the foul discrepancy in that game. Hopefully Tobacco Road will be more friendly going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom