Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again

dasher said:
Did we underachieve last year? Or the year before? Moron

Whether we like it or not, the national perception is that this program has woefully underachieved in many seasons.

We need to change that. This team seemed to be "that team" for a good part of the season, but their flaws caught up with them.

SarasotaPaul said:
What a sad life you have created for yourself. So glad I am not you. I have been a fan for only 52 years or more. I would love to be NC every year. But they always regulate it to only one team. So my expectations are realistic and normal and not some ridiculous fantasy. I love the wins, hate the losses but look forward to every year and every game. You somehow have learned nothing in 40 years. No wonder you are a sad person.

I'm a sad person because I have high expectations?

Maybe I should lower my expectations.

It seems like you have.

djcon57 said:
Did he give his honest assessment on Cooney airballing 2 threes and missing every open look all game?

Yes he did, to the refs during the game when he got hit on one of them.

I wonder if we actually overachieved through most of the season. Heck we lost 3 starters - all who are playing some level of pro ball (one possible NBA rookie of the year) and we did great through 2/3 of the season. We replaced those starters with a freshman and 2 sophomores.

Cheriehoop said:
I wonder if we actually overachieved through most of the season. Heck we lost 3 starters - all who are playing some level of pro ball (one possible NBA rookie of the year) and we did great through 2/3 of the season. We replaced those starters with a freshman and 2 sophomores.

We may have overachieved this season, but losing in the second round of the tourney is probably an underachievement.

One Final 4 in the last 11 years is the biggest head scratcher.

All we'll and good, but he needs titles now to back up his winning percentage.

You also shorted him a few hundred wins.

It's late and I missed a few hundred. But he doesn't need anything to back up his win total and win percentage and number of 20 win seasons. All these speak for themselves.

I'm sure the rest of the game went exactly to his plan, so yeah, this was the only thing that went wrong.

Come on JB, the team didn't play up to their potential, and that's kind of your job.

Potential?

The Team Does Not Have A Legitimate Scoring Threat And Has No Talent At Center.

The Players Played To Their Talent Level.

There Is No MCW or Dion Or Ariz Or Wes Johnson On This Team.

anomander said:
Kansas isn't anything to write home about. We have beat them what 3 straight times when they were perceived to have better teams. They would have had a hell of a day trying to figure out our zone.

What does beating them in the past have to do with beating them now?

Doesn't matter if they can't figure out our zone, if we can't score we wouldn't win anyways. I wouldn't see us stopping Wiggins anyways.

What does beating them in the past have to do with beating them now?

Doesn't matter if they can't figure out our zone, if we can't score we wouldn't win anyways. I wouldn't see us stopping Wiggins anyways.
Agreed.

KU may have had an issue against the zone; but how would we score against them?

Townie72 said:
It's all his fault. All 740+ wins too.

He rarely gets credits for wins, only blame for losses.

cusetown1 said:
Is syracuse the only team in NCAA history not to hit a 3 in a game?

St.Louis went 0-15 from 3 earlier in the day.

I'm a sad person because I have high expectations?

Maybe I should lower my expectations.

It seems like you have.
If either of Ennis' 2 jumpers had dropped (or the foul was called on Cooney's 3, or Dayton's flat 3 didn't go in, etc. etc.), and we went on to lose to Kansas in our next game, would there still be a sense that we underachieved?

If either of Ennis' 2 jumpers had dropped (or the foul was called on Cooney's 3, or Dayton's flat 3 didn't go in, etc. etc.), and we went on to lose to Kansas in our next game, would there still be a sense that we underachieved?
Well techinically we were a 3 seed that would have lost a 2 seed.

That's quite presumptuous of you to command to me which hills I want to fight and die on. I don't understand how one can misinterpret my post. The coach is responsible for what happens on the court, just as a CEO is responsible for what happens in a company, or an executive is responsible for what happens in government. With the glories or perks of leadership come responsibility as well.

Look, I don't want to ramp up any more antagonism, and I don't want to make an enemy of you, because I generally enjoy your posts. Of course the coach shares some of the responsibility when the team loses--but an absolutist statement--the original one here (not yours) that I originally took exception to--becomes pretty tortured when nothing is said about the players after an abysmal shooting display like last night's. We're not going to get anywhere picking things to death on this point--particularly when we all share the condition of being upset over a season-ending loss after a miserable shooting display. That's one thing we can definitely agree on, right?

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44 13m
Boeheim: I don't know why he (Ennis) settled for jumpshots. The play was to go to the rim.

I'm getting really sick of this, how about you take some responsibility for once?

This thread really needs some clarification. JB did NOT call out Tyler for his "jumpshots". He called him out on the first jumpshot, and rightfully so. As a coach, when I call a TO I want the kids to execute the play I draw up. If we just ran the same play three times with successful results, then I would go back to the money play too. He clearly told Ennis what to do in the huddle, and Ennis did his own thing on the fly. I watched the play over again. Dayton switched on the high screen by XMas (and hogtied Rak on the roll, but that's another issue). Ennis had a bigger guy on him one on one, with more than 10 seconds left. Back out again and re-run the play, or call for the clear out and go. The jumper was not what we wanted.

JB was fully supportive of the last shot. That was the only option.

Blasting JB for saying he didn't agree with the first jumper is wrong. And he didn't blame Ennis for the loss, just not following directions on that play. I have no problem with what he said now that I let the dust settle and saw the context.

Well techinically we were a 3 seed that would have lost a 2 seed.
True... but that 2 seed just lost to a 10 seed.
This thread really needs some clarification. JB did NOT call out Tyler for his "jumpshots". He called him out on the first jumpshot, and rightfully so. As a coach, when I call a TO I want the kids to execute the play I draw up. If we just ran the same play three times with successful results, then I would go back to the money play too. He clearly told Ennis what to do in the huddle, and Ennis did his own thing on the fly. I watched the play over again. Dayton switched on the high screen by XMas (and hogtied Rak on the roll, but that's another issue). Ennis had a bigger guy on him one on one, with more than 10 seconds left. Back out again and re-run the play, or call for the clear out and go. The jumper was not what we wanted.

JB was fully supportive of the last shot. That was the only option.

Blasting JB for saying he didn't agree with the first jumper is wrong. And he didn't blame Ennis for the loss, just not following directions on that play. I have no problem with what he said now that I let the dust settle and saw the context.
Like x10

Potential?

The Team Does Not Have A Legitimate Scoring Threat And Has No Talent At Center.

The Players Played To Their Talent Level.

There Is No MCW or Dion Or Ariz Or Wes Johnson On This Team.

They lost to Dayton. Not Michigan State or Kansas or Kentucky. Did we really have less talent than Dayton?

How about recruiting maybe ONE consistent shooter? How about having a bench that goes deeper than two guys? How about we get a big guy who can actually score? How about we not play our two best players 40 minutes a game?

There's a difference between having one and using one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom