Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again

Screw JB - I was not happy that he pulled up.

You could see when he pulled up that JB was NOT happy...clearly not the play they called.

If I was JB, I'd say the same thing.

JB, "None of you can shoot, so go to the rim."

Ennis, "'It's jump shot time!!!"

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44 13m
Boeheim: I don't know why he (Ennis) settled for jumpshots. The play was to go to the rim.

I'm getting really sick of this, how about you take some responsibility for once?

I'll admit I was at the game and said the exact same thing. No one was hitting perimeter shots and Ennis was getting to the hoop consistently at the end. With 13 seconds left and down 2 why rush a long range jump shot with around 6 seconds left? Ennis has been great but he made a bad judgement call there. He's an extremely talented freshman but he does make mistakes. It sounds like he changed what JB called and what had been working plus it took away any chance we may have had with a foul if we drove the ball. Ennis kept us in the game and he also made a bad play that hurt us. It happens.

I was on the light rail filled with SU fans on the train after the game and that was not just my opinion - in fact listening to people the conversations revolved around - Ennis & Grant looking like they should definitely stay and we need some players who can hit open threes.

Creighton is one guy, right?

I'd like to see SU recruit and play wit the slow-footed Wisconsin team that averages 50 points a game. The screaming from our fan base would be nevver-ending.

First Creighton lead the nation in 3 point shooting and offensive efficiency I believe.

Second did we not watch the same team this year. I believe Wisconsin put up 70+ and one today against Oregon and SU is the one who barely put up 50 on Dayton.

We hit 2 jumpshots all game, (1 grant 1 gbinije) maybe a ncaa record. what more is there to say?

Dayton has a team field-goal % of 46.6%, and that's just 60th in the nation.

SU has 43.7%, good for 206th in the nation.

So this team that shoots 60th in the Nation is chocked full of "lights out" shooters?

I'll admit I was at the game and said the exact same thing. No one was hitting perimeter shots and Ennis was getting to the hoop consistently at the end. With 13 seconds left and down 2 why rush a long range jump shot with around 6 seconds left? Ennis has been great but he made a bad judgement call there. He's an extremely talented freshman but he does make mistakes. It sounds like he changed what JB called and what had been working plus it took away any chance we may have had with a foul if we drove the ball. Ennis kept us in the game and he also made a bad play that hurt us. It happens.

I was on the light rail filled with SU fans on the train after the game and that was not just my opinion - in fact listening to people the conversations revolved around - Ennis & Grant looking like they should definitely stay and we need some players who can hit open threes.
I think we were only down 1 there weren't we on the first jumper?

imo, we shouldn't be mad at tyler every offensive bucket(especially late) went through him today. And he got bumped and knocked going to the basket all night. And he didn't just get to the basket he got to the rim, he played hard.

We couldn't score without him setting up a assist. If we lose with him missing two jumpers he sure as hel! earned the right to take the last shots.

Just hope he comes back, as he said wearing orange is the only way I envisioned a long time ago.

Last edited:

Basketball is a game played on instinct. When Ennis took that shot he was convinced it was the right thing to do.

Let's be honest...

Even if Ennis hit that 3; what are the chances we beat Kansas? I know, we can say today was just a bad shooting day; but this has been the norm the last 2 months besides W. Michigan and FSU. Even if we pulled this out there's a good chance KU wipes the floor with us in Memphis.

cuseguy said:
It's funny because I'm right.

If your life is miserable or somehow lacking, it isn't because Syracuse basketball doesn't meet your expectations.

I love JB's honesty. Even if everyone else doesn't.

This year really came crashing down in a hurry. Can't shoot, can't win.

JB is great with honesty when talking about players, but when people question him he has none of it. If he was being honest there is a lot he could have criticized himself about this season. It wasn't his best year that's for sure.

Townie72 said:
Creighton is one guy, right?

I'd like to see SU recruit and play wit the slow-footed Wisconsin team that averages 50 points a game. The screaming from our fan base would be nevver-ending.

I know we don't usually agree, but I can't like your arguments enough in this thread.

Let's be honest...

Even if Ennis hit that 3; what are the chances we beat Kansas? I know, we can say today was just a bad shooting day; but this has been the norm the last 2 months besides W. Michigan and FSU. Even if we pulled this out there's a good chance KU wipes the floor with us in Memphis.

Kansas isn't anything to write home about. We have beat them what 3 straight times when they were perceived to have better teams. They would have had a hell of a day trying to figure out our zone.

Is syracuse the only team in NCAA history not to hit a 3 in a game?

I really wasn't happy with the Boeheim comments. These are 18-20 year old kids, he should handle the question a little more carefully especially when Ennis played his butt off.

So JB made a mistake (in my view anyway)..no coach is perfect. If I was the coach I probably would not have called Ennis out like that. Of course if I was the coach of this program, we would have a hard time beating Rutgers.

I'm not going to read any further into his comments from a "future" perspective.

Last edited:
Their season average with 3 pointers is 37.5%.

Calling them a 'lights out' team is a totally overstating their shooting ability.

I proved in post #59 that they had 4 players who all shot a better 3-pt % than our 3 main shooters.

The main point for you and Townie, so that you stop your desperation ankle-biting, is that the "lights out" term (not used by me) is a bit hyperbolic and extremely subjective. I'll use "good enough to get the job done". Dayton has at least 4. Today, in the most important game of the year, we had none.

Teams like Dayton are deep because you have player

You mean like how we stole a couple of games earlier in the season. We got more than our fair share of stolen games.
I'm not sure what you're saying. We definitely stole our fair share of games. My comment is that we shouldn't have had to steal so many. I don't think JB did a good job of scheming offense this year. Why is it that all we did to try and get Cooney open was have him run back and forth along the baseline trying to get picks? Once we got into league play, everyone but Notre Dame figured that out and defended it well. Why do we always run pick and roll with our offensively inept centers? Why not do it with CJ or Grant who are offensive threats so that their defender has to think twice about giving a hard hedge? Why is it that the only time we can develop freshman is when they're forced to play because we have no upper classmen in front of them? We saw, last year, how Grant found a comfort zone when Southerland was suspended, yet, before he was suspended and after he came back, Grant got the hook the minute he made any mistake. We've seen the same thing happen with other guys in past. I don't believe none of our freshman had the potential to give us some solid minutes, if given the chance to play through a few mistakes, and learn from them, earlier in the year?

The "we didn't hit shots" excuse is legit when it happens now and then. When it becomes your teams identity, it's time to come up with something else, and JB didn't do that this year.

When you play a short bench…yes, the injury of one of your key players can have an impact on your team's performance. Haven't we been through this before? Gerry groin pull. Orinze. Melo (academic). Are you telling me this doesn't impact our team? Besides…how many teams did we blow out this year? A single player out of the starting five has an impact. You might not like it….but it happens.

Why was there such a short bench then? Why was the loss of one player who didn't even start to begin the season so crucial in playing mediocre (at best) teams - at home? I don't want this to get into another "developing bench" argument, but the coach is responsible for modifying his lineup accordingly, for developing all his players, and to be ready for adjustments, especially when there is a short bench. There was no excuse to lose at home to BC or GT - and there were signs all along that something was broken with the team. In sports, the responsibility falls on the coach - and JB cannot be immune to the same criticism. He can dish it out, but he needs to accept some responsibility for the team he develops.

Last edited:
HarrisonJBounel said:
I proved in post #59 that they had 4 players who all shot a better 3-pt % than our 3 main shooters.

The main point for you and Townie, so that you stop your desperation ankle-biting, is that the "lights out" term (not used by me) is a bit hyperbolic and extremely subjective. I'll use "good enough to get the job done". Dayton has at least 4. Today, in the most important game of the year, we had none.

You have never proved anything in the history of posting on this board. You actually think that George Steinbrenner was a self made man and used Wikipedia to prove it. I bet you think Donald Trump is too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom