Boeheim retiring in 3 years, reportedly | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim retiring in 3 years, reportedly

Any reaction to the chancellor not mentioning that Hopkins is taking over? Is that a definite still?

Normally this may be true. However we already have 4 signed for JB's next year. We may only have 1 schollie to give in year 2 anyway. So it will affect 1 year of recruiting. Not to mention that Hop does most of the recruiting anyway

We will bring in two guys next year, Moyer and hopefully Battle. We will have room for two 2016 recruits. 2017 might get dicey with incoming players knowing it will be JB's last year...but it can also be a positive pitch: You can be part of JB's historic final team and curtain call.

Umm what? Teams will blast your recruits by pointing out that they WON'T play/finish under JB. This 3 year march for JB is likely to drain the talent out of Syracuse, which is bad for the ACC.
what? haha You clearly don't know our program. Our coaches are an extension of Boeheim...especially Hopkins who will be taking over. Nothing will change.

Is there a written agreement with Hopkins as far as being the next coach of SU? If not, how much leeway will the new AD have with this decision?

At least JB is going out on his terms (or at least this creates the perception that he is).
Yes, but it also shows JB working with the SU administration. Previously it was always kind of thought (probably because JB said it on several occasions) that JB would decide after the season was over what happened for the next year.

By deviating from his previous plan JB is giving the administration another bullet point for actions taken and should help in the appeal of the sanctions.

Oh, this is madness. Can see him now watching SU play and his son riding the pine as a walk on from somewhere behind the bench.

Umm what? Teams will blast your recruits by pointing out that they WON'T play/finish under JB. This 3 year march for JB is likely to drain the talent out of Syracuse, which is bad for the ACC.
Hopkins has coached under JB for a long time now and also worked with Team USA. I think we'll be fine. He's also the main recruiter on this staff and a reason why many kids choose Cuse.

Hopkins has coached under JB for a long time now and also worked with Team USA. I think we'll be fine. He's also the main recruiter on this staff and a reason why many kids choose Cuse.
Yep. As far as "street cred" (for lack of better term) with players and recruits, no assistant in America has as much as Hop. As Gary Battle was quoted saying in the article by the Post-Standard, there's no assistant in America better prepared to take over a program.

Is there a written agreement with Hopkins as far as being the next coach of SU? If not, how much leeway will the new AD have with this decision?

I wonder this as well.

They'll play for Mike Hopkins, who recruits them anyway.
Our March will be nothing like UNC's March which will be similar to the March of Bataan.

I love Coach Boeheim and expect he will coach with a great intensity these next few years. I think what has been done to him by the media has been cowardice. He has done much more for the game and Syracuse than the nation may know. It would be the greatest moment in sports history (to me) if he leaves with another title as a middle finger to everyone who has ran him into the ground. LGO!

Why - the guy isn't a spring chicken. 3 more years is actually more than anybody could reasonably expect, in my opinion.
Why? Because he built this program as we know it. I know that he isn't a spring chicken. You don't do the same thing for as long as he has if you don't love and have passion for what you do. I'm sad to see an expiration date on a great run by a great coach. Just my opinion.

I wonder this as well.

you can still be bound by a verbal contract, but it would make it much harder for mike to enforce and i highly doubt he would come hard after syracuse.