Boeheim rips Katz | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim rips Katz

I do a little too much reading during the day on all things football and basketball. Jason king always pops up on my shitcock radar.

Because I'm sure Jason King, who has been at espn for about a minute, knows exactly why JB called Katz out.
He's a Kentucky fool. Extra pissed about Noel getting hurt, the guy is a complete Trash bin.

Haven't read this thread. But JB is JB. He has always been this way. I remember him ripping a student reporter from WAER in the late 70's for a question. Do I have proof? No, but I do remember it.

Just about everyone knew it involved a paper. Tonight we found out that it involved two paragraphs in a paper. Holy student privacy, Batman!

Just catching up on all the posts as I was at our local Cuse bar earlier, but here is my own theory on this. In the St. Johns post-game presser, JB addressed all the rumors on what he called "the blogs"-- mentioned even though he doesn't go online himself he hears the stuff from others. Anyway, he said the James situation wasn't even remotely close to any of the rumors that had surfaced. So maybe he was completely embarassed by the Katz tweet completely contradicting his big statement at the presser. Obviously, the rumors that we all heard (and Orangeyes even posted it here last week before it was deleted), specified basically the same thing from Katz/James---maybe only one paragraph in the rumor but you get the point. Ironically I retweeted the Katz post at half-time as I was so surprised to read it going public---obviously not realizing the firestorm it created.

Childish reaction by Boeheim.
Nice get by Andy Katz.

The remarkable thing is that this whole Southerland flap was over two paragraphs he wrote in a paper?!?!?
I know people at SU who made up quotes, sources and book titles and still got A's.

RT @DCSportsDept: Katz asked what the UConn-'Cuse rivalry meant and Boeheim stared him down and ripped him. Not sure reason why
for Coach Boeheims sake, I hope there is something of note behind this. Attacking good ole Andy from ESPN like that will not play well and has a chance to get legs. Chill Jim ...Jesus.

Katz said he thinks it stems from his reporting of the Bernie Fine story.

Katz said he thinks it stems from his reporting of the Bernie Fine story.

Likely part of it, but not fully.

Katz is a douche. And also, is slipping in to the journalistic integrity (or lack there of) that is promoted at ESPN.

If someone tells you something is confidential or off the record, you don't go to another source to get that same information - a 20-something year-old kid, at that - so you can go on record with the information that your original source said was off the record.

If it were me as the initial source, I'd be pissed too. Even if I didn't have my moral integrity questioned by that same reporter a year prior.

Boeheim has always been like this. Sometimes he may jump the gun with it, but he always speaks his mind, whether kind or mean. I don't see why some are making a big deal of it.

Likely part of it, but not fully.

Katz is a douche. And also, is slipping in to the journalistic integrity (or lack there of) that is promoted at ESPN.

If someone tells you something is confidential or off the record, you don't go to another source to get that same information - a 20-something year-old kid, at that - so you can go on record with the information that your original source said was off the record.

If it were me as the initial source, I'd be pissed too. Even if I didn't have my moral integrity questioned by that same reporter a year prior.

This post is wrong on some many levels it's hard to know where to start.

If it's about Fine, so be it.

If it's about Southerland:

1. Where is the evidence that anything was said to Katz off the record?
2. If something was said to Katz off the record, he or any other competent journalist absolutely would go to another source to try to get it on the record. That's the way it's been done for generations, long before the creation of ESPN.
3. It is always fair game to go to the player. Privacy issues have to do with others talking about the player, not with the player talking about the player. If he chooses to speak about himself, there are no privacy issues attached.
4. Caveat: if James told Katz something with an agreement that it was off the record, then Katz did act unprofessionally.
5. As usual, while Jim may have pleased the Orangegogglers on this board, he did not help himself with the 99% of others who follow college basketball. Deadspin used the expression "D..khead." That will be the takeaway nationally.
6. As Cuseguy noted earlier, anyone interested in this matter already knows it had to do with a paper. The revelation that it concerned two paragraphs of that paper is not exactly earth-shaking. If Jimmy lied about that in previous comments, he deserves whatever fallout comes from it.
7. Andy Katz has no "loyalty" obligation to Syracuse basketball. He is expected to be fair and accurate. Different things.

2. If something was said to Katz off the record, he or any other competent journalist absolutely would go to another source to try to get it on the record. That's the way it's been done for generations, long before the creation of ESPN.
3. It is always fair game to go to the player. Privacy issues have to do with others talking about the player, not with the player talking about the player. If he chooses to speak about himself, there are no privacy issues attached.
4. Caveat: if James told Katz something with an agreement that it was off the record, then Katz did act unprofessionally.
5. As usual, while Jim may have pleased the Orangegogglers on this board, he did not help himself with the 99% of others who follow college basketball. Deadspin used the expression "D..khead." That will be the takeaway nationally.
6. As Cuseguy noted earlier, anyone interested in this matter already knows it had to do with a paper. The revelation that it concerned two paragraphs of that paper is not exactly earth-shaking. If Jimmy lied about that in previous comments, he deserves whatever fallout comes from it.
7. Andy Katz has no "loyalty" obligation to Syracuse basketball. He is expected to be fair and accurate. Different things.

Student privacy laws prohibit coaches from speaking about these situations for a reason - they shouldn't be talked about. No matter who your source is.

He is an idiot and was out of line. Regardless of the Fine stuff.

Student privacy laws prohibit coaches from speaking about these situations for a reason - they shouldn't be talked about. No matter who your source is.

He is an idiot and was out of line. Regardless of the Fine stuff.

Read the post more carefully.

The laws prohibit coaches and others from talking about the situations.

They do not prohibit the PLAYER from talking about his own situation.

Big difference.

Read the post more carefully.

The laws prohibit coaches and others from talking about the situations.

They do not prohibit the PLAYER from talking about his own situation.

Big difference.

I read your post. And I wrote my response. I am not incapable (as you insinuate).There shouldn't be a difference with AMATEUR athletes. There are protocols with media as it relates to student-athletes for a reason. Some things should not be brought to public. Some things are better left alone - what was the purpose of even bringing it up? My guess is to dig at JB even deeper - and he got what was coming to him if so.

Katz may be fine by the letter of your law, but outing the issue at hand to the national TV audience goes against my code of conduct for a journalist.

I read your post. And I wrote my response. I am not incapable (as you insinuate).There shouldn't be a difference with AMATEUR athletes. There are protocols with media as it relates to student-athletes for a reason. Some things should not be brought to public. Some things are better left alone - what was the purpose of even bringing it up? My guess is to dig at JB even deeper - and he got what was coming to him if so.

Katz may be fine by the letter of your law, but outing the issue at hand to the national TV audience goes against my code of conduct for a journalist.

Didn't say you were incapable.

But AMATEUR athletes?

Come on. You know better.

They're players. And if the player chooses to speak about himself, it is 100% fair game.

You will find articles in the Post Standard and other papers in which high school players and coaches choose to speak about academic issues related to eligibility. The are arguably much more "amateur" than these "student-athletes."

Don't question Boeheim's coaching ability and accomplishments but he is a bully. Not very classy the way he handles the press.
bullshit JB is honest and andy K is a f idiot just like Jim said.

Didn't say you were incapable.

But AMATEUR athletes?

Come on. You know better.

They're players. And if the player chooses to speak about himself, it is 100% fair game.

You will find articles in the Post Standard and other papers in which high school players and coaches choose to speak about academic issues related to eligibility. The are arguably much more "amateur" than these "student-athletes."
I guarantee you this goes much deeper than Southerland. Last year, Katz wrote a column about how the Boeheims wish the Fines never moved in to their street. Also how JB and Fine were not close anymore. After that article, JB was the only coach not to appear on Katz's show before the NCAA tournament. Connect the dots. Southerland might have been the trigger. But the problem jb has with katz is much deeper.

I guarantee you this goes much deeper than Southerland. Last year, Katz wrote a column about how the Boeheims wish the Fines never moved in to their street. Also how JB and Fine were not close anymore. After that article, JB was the only coach not to appear on Katz's show before the NCAA tournament. Connect the dots. Southerland might have been the trigger. But the problem jb has with katz is much deeper.

Boom. Exactly.

Response to #5 above. Who cares what 99% of followers think about JB. I for one don't care about those 99%. Most reporters don't care about anything except trying to get the story; they could care less about the effect it has on anyone. I applaud JB for his comments and think that he only helped himself and SU basketball. It will show to his players and future players that he supports his team and players to the end.