Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I think one and done, I think Carmelo or Anthony Davis.
Times change? One and dones are different than early entrants. 185 underclassman declared last season and 64 stayed in the draft (60 picks). 59 left early in 2016 and 47 in 2015.

People can't have it both ways. The staff can't be so good at identifying basketball talent that they routinely recruit "diamonds in the rough" and then be so bad that they can't see NBA talent.

And if you remember, I was all in favor of Hop taking over next year. How about you? Washington beat Arizona tonight.
I don't want to put you on the spot Dash (but I guess I'm going to), but if JAB put up a stink and it got ugly, would you have been in favor of him being more or less forced out? Based on rumors last year, it looks like JAB didn't want to retire so Hop ended up leaving.

I think he will get the Trevor Cooney treatment, but it should be interesting.

I fully expect JB to be harder on Buddy than everyone else. Isn't that essentially ingrained in his DNA. I also don't think he wants to expose Buddy to the criticism and fan ire he will be the target of if he doesn't earn every minute he plays.

I’ll never begrudge a kid for making money for playing basketball. I love when our guys succeed at the next level.
It would be great if more of our fan base seemed to feel that way.

I think it’s because we have a coach who doesn’t guilt them into staying. A lot of coaches really lean on guys to stay. If JB is so awful I doubt we’d have a full SU coaching staff (which I wish we didn’t). We also have Devendorf, a guy who was pushed out of the program, back on the bench.

Reading Lydon’s Twitter, the only negative feelings he seems to have about Syracuse is idiot fans telling him they’re happy he got hurt.
JB went hard after Ennis and Grant decision to leave.
Remember this
Boeheim's agenda rings hollow

He was trying to get them to stay.

He called out Chad Ford over Chris McCollough.

He supports kids leaving if they are lottery picks.

Times change? One and dones are different than early entrants. 185 underclassman declared last season and 64 stayed in the draft (60 picks). 59 left early in 2016 and 47 in 2015.

People can't have it both ways. The staff can't be so good at identifying basketball talent that they routinely recruit "diamonds in the rough" and then be so bad that they can't see NBA talent.

I don't want to put you on the spot Dash (but I guess I'm going to), but if JAB put up a stink and it got ugly, would you have been in favor of him being more or less forced out? Based on rumors last year, it looks like JAB didn't want to retire so Hop ended up leaving.
I would have been in favor of enforcing the deal that was made 3 years ago.

It would be great if more of our fan base seemed to feel that way.
95% of this board doesn’t begrudge our kids leaving early.

That is a strawman.
The frustration more comes from why kids don’t develop more.
I never question a kid when they decide to leave. They have a right to get paid to play basketball even if it’s not in the NBA.

I think what a lot of our fans want is for JB to bring in NBA talents who are good enough to lead SU to great heights but do so over a period of three or four years before peaking, and then leave to have successful careers as lottery picks.

I think what a lot of our fans want is for JB to bring in NBA talents who are good enough to lead SU to great heights but do so over a period of three or four years before peaking, and then leave to have successful careers as lottery picks.
No I want JB to recruit some players who can score and not recruit exclusively for the zone D.
I don’t want lottery picks who stay 3 years.
How about recruiting a post player.
We haven’t had a player like Rick Jackson except Rak’s senior year in 2015.
Why can’t we find Rick Jackson’s?
He wasn’t an NBA player but a post presence.
Find Demetrius Nichols, CJ Fair, Michael Gbinije types.

Not exactly the strawman you describe above.

I think this a combination of a couple of things. 1) small sample size and maybe unrealistic expectations; and, relatedly 2) the types of players SU generally recruits: players who fit the NBA physical archetype, but either don’t have a complete skill set, generally need some work, or have some risk (injury or otherwise). When they work out, they’re great! But they’re also much more attractive to NBA teams, so they leave to get paid. When they don’t overcome their limitations, it may seem like they don’t “develop”.

similar to football. wins erase all issues relative to fans. very simple equation but we all attempt to break it down 20 different ways searching for reason. Just win.

I fell asleep at some point in the second half. watching this team is a grind.

95% of this board doesn’t begrudge our kids leaving early.

That is a strawman.
I never question a kid when they decide to leave. They have a right to get paid to play basketball even if it’s not in the NBA.
Your first two sentences are your opinions, and in my opinion, they are hogwash.

Also, not every post in these threads is directed at you. That is a fact.

Your first two sentences are your opinions, and in my opinion, they are hogwash.

Also, not every post in these threads is directed at you. That is a fact.

Not sure how people can't reconcile in their minds what is going on.

We are fans first. We don't want our players leaving early because it weakens the team. Before the deed is done most fans don't want them leaving and they behave and say things according to their desires to have them return.

I don't think you'll find too many of us hoping Battle goes pro and does well in the draft this year. Most of us want him to return play 4 years, lead the team to glory and then have a fantastic pro career. This isn't really begrudging them anything. I am an SU fan first, individual player fan second.

How do I know that? Because I become enamored with a whole new group of commits and then incoming frosh each year and lose interest in the must have recruits like Jordan Tucker, Quade Green and others we miss on each year.

Once the decision is made and the pain of the roster loss has passed I would be surprised if there are many fans with ill will towards our guys in the pro ranks.

I think this a combination of a couple of things. 1) small sample size and maybe unrealistic expectations; and, relatedly 2) the types of players SU generally recruits: players who fit the NBA physical archetype, but either don’t have a complete skill set, generally need some work, or have some risk (injury or otherwise). When they work out, they’re great! But they’re also much more attractive to NBA teams, so they leave to get paid. When they don’t overcome their limitations, it may seem like they don’t “develop”.

The top teams either recruit guys who are going to leave early but are already good enough to lead them to a championship or they get lesser guys to stay and develop into good college players. Since Carmelo, we get lesser guys who leave early. That's the problem. No one questions their right to go, although the wisdom of it is sometimes debatable. The simple fact is, other schools have done a better job of getting kids to stay and that's why they are at the top of the standings.

My favorite suggestion form a couple years back was that we should recruit shorter players so the NBA wouldn't be so interested in them. Yeah, let's go with the Lollipop Guild

Where is the CJ Fair on this team.
Or Demetrius Nichols.
Or Michael Gbinije.

We forced BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson out.
We only have 1 Junior in the rotation in Frank Howard. We will lose players off this rotation.
The problem is the players who keep are unproductive 4’s that the coaching staff doesn’t develop.
What JB said about Tyler Roberson was pathetic the fact Robey never ripped him publicly was amazing.
Now we have Moyer and Dolezaj at the same spot.
Can we recruit some offense please at the 4 position instead of length.

It is slightly amusing that Roberson was replaced by those two. He must be laughing a little bit - "you gave me all that grief for years, and that's what you replaced me with? WHAT????" lol

It is slightly amusing that Roberson was replaced by those two. He must be laughing a little bit - "you gave me all that grief for years, and that's what you replaced me with? WHAT????" lol
well all things considered, they at the very least bring 100% effort/engagement every game - so yes, he was replaced w that

well all things considered, they at the very least bring 100% effort/engagement every game - so yes, he was replaced w that

I feel like these things get overplayed and this is the big highlight for this team. They always kill it with effort! The effort is outstanding! 40 minutes of pure effort! I just don't see this team going bananas in the effort department the way some do. There is a lot of spazziness from some dudes, which leads to people falling, jumping on the ground a lot. I guess that's something akin to max effort.

I mean, isn't this the team that just walked about aimlessly as Notre Dame ran down court to win the game? I mean, I know Roberson was the laziest person on Earth, but I think he at least jogs back on that play. :)

I'll take Dolezaj over Roberson. Moyer IS Roberson.

I feel like these things get overplayed and this is the big highlight for this team. They always kill it with effort! The effort is outstanding! 40 minutes of pure effort! I just don't see this team going bananas in the effort department the way some do. There is a lot of spazziness from some dudes, which leads to people falling, jumping on the ground a lot. I guess that's something akin to max effort.

I mean, isn't this the team that that just walked about aimlessly as Notre Dame ran down court to win the game? I mean, I know Roberson was the laziest person on Earth, but I think he at least jogs back on that play. :)
oh I hear you, I just get tired of the "poor Robey" narrative - dude was an enigma and a half

oh I hear you, I just get tired of the "poor Robey" narrative - dude was an enigma and a half

That I concur with 100%. He was definitely an enigma. :)

No I want JB to recruit some players who can score and not recruit exclusively for the zone D.
I don’t want lottery picks who stay 3 years.
How about recruiting a post player.
We haven’t had a player like Rick Jackson except Rak’s senior year in 2015.
Why can’t we find Rick Jackson’s?
He wasn’t an NBA player but a post presence.
Find Demetrius Nichols, CJ Fair, Michael Gbinije types.

Not exactly the strawman you describe above.

Sidibe is a post player. He’s hurt. Taurean was, he left.

Enough of the we talk. None of you are on the team. Some of you didn't attend the school. What is this we talk? If it bothers you that much, don't watch. I turned it off at halftime.

For everyone upset at the past three heads, this is what sanctions are designed to do. It's why UNC will never get hit with them. They are designed to cripple a program and that's what it did to SU. That's why USC lost their place to Oregon and Stanford in the Pac 12. It's why the NCAA lifted Penn State's after two seasons instead of the four; the effects are delivered immediately.

Starting next season, there is no excuse anymore. Hopkins would be in the same boat or worse if he was coaching now and less than 100% strength.

i said 10 years ago if JB doesn't want to retire then at least take a lower echelon D1 job down south in S.C. , florida or arizona and pile up his W'S . seems to be all he's really interested in. golf and play zone and amass some wins for his legacy. his modus operandi don't cut in the big leagues anymore. (at least not in the ACC) fly south and retire comfortably. less stress for all of us.

Enough of the we talk. None of you are on the team. Some of you didn't attend the school. What is this we talk? If it bothers you that much, don't watch. I turned it off at halftime.

For everyone upset at the past three heads, this is what sanctions are designed to do. It's why UNC will never get hit with them. They are designed to cripple a program and that's what it did to SU. That's why USC lost their place to Oregon and Stanford in the Pac 12. It's why the NCAA lifted Penn State's after two seasons instead of the four; the effects are delivered immediately.

Starting next season, there is no excuse anymore. Hopkins would be in the same boat or worse if he was coaching now and less than 100% strength.
Who cares if the fans went to the school.
That is stupid.
We need as many fans as we can get.

The sanctions aren’t the problem with our offense.

The rest of this whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online