Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. So sick of the "unless you love everything JB does, you're a disloyal fan" narrative.

I'm a FAN of Syracuse Basketball first. Not Jim Boeheim. I think sometimes people forget that no one person's bigger than the program. I get it. He built the program. I have immense respect for that. But sometimes the bigger the person, the harder it is to know what to say goodbye.

It's time to say goodbye.

ROFLMBWAO

JAB has NEVER ONCE had a losing season as the head coach of the Syracuse Men's Basketball team. Including this season, dearie. 40+ winning seasons are unprecedented in Men's D-1 basketball.

So long dearie to YOU.

It is the lack of clarity that is killing us. The "every year could be my last" stuff is the worst. That is the biggest issue. Everyone needs a firm done date, most importantly big time recruits.

Lol ok. Like many have said, I'm loyal to Syracuse not Jim Boeheim. I'm sure some of you know him personally, I don't. I'm ready to move on.
I've never met the man, only his wife a few times and Coach Hop several times too.

It is the lack of clarity that is killing us. The "every year could be my last" stuff is the worst. That is the biggest issue. Everyone needs a firm done date, most importantly big time recruits.

THAT is perhaps my biggest issue with JB at this time. As I said earlier, it's killing the stability of the program.

I thought it was next season. Has that changed?

I'm not going to condemn the OP for saying what he said, but my initial reaction is: be careful what you wish for.

Boeheim IS the program. We have no idea whether others will be able to continue our sustained level of success, or whether we'll drop off once he retires. Things are never certain when you are replacing a coaching icon. We've seen example after example of successors to HOF coaches struggling. In some cases, it can take 10 or more years or even longer for some of these teams to get an adequate replacement to the icon. I hope that's not what we go through.

Not a knock on Hop, either.

Part of me is ready for change and eager to see the program get some new blood and embrace some new approaches. But part of me fears that our program will face the same as what Indiana, Georgetown, and others have had to deal with after their legendary coaches went away.

Oh and are you forgetting that the team made the Final Four last year, dearie? Also in 2013, which I saw and then won my work pool which covered my expenses to and from Atlanta?

Idjit

Uconn has two titles this decade. Because of the direction their heading makes it easy to say "who cares". That's pretty much what our final fours mean. The goal is to win every year or at least put ourselves in a position to have success. That's not happening right now.

The JB of 10 years ago needed a miracle run by some kid from Scranton to not go to the NIT 3 years in a row...oops...

Maybe you meant the JB of 5 years ago? Crap. Lost to 11 seed as a 3.

Or 35? Double-crap. NIT.

30? Triple crap. Navy.

25? Lotsa crap. Richmond.

20? There we go.

JB clearly not infallible. The zone has gotten so complicated that, if you don't have mostly multi-year guys returning, playing it effectively is a problem.

And, in today's college hoops, if you have mostly multi-year guys, chances are they are not elite players.

That is a real problem.

JB's move to the zone was genius. Almost nobody played it. Teams did not know how to attack it.

No longer the case. Lots of teams play zone at least some of the time.

Hope Hop has taken note.
I give it a "WOW" LIKE!!!!!!!!!!

His recruiting has fallen off a cliff the last 4-5 seasons. His inability to commit to a firm retirement date is killing the stability of this program. He can't manage a team effectively anymore. The JB of ten years ago would have won 2-3 more games at least with this team and gotten us into the tournament.

Better to leave a year too early than a year too late. He just doesn't have it anymore. And don't tell me that last year's final four run is proof to the contrary. The region absolutely parted like the Red Sea for us when Sparty got upset and it still took two miraculous comebacks in Chicago just to get to Houston. That was a miracle run last March and you'd be absolutely foolish to think that it indicates that the program is stable right now.

Suck up your pride and say goodbye. You're done, Jimmy.

He's earned the right to leave on his own terms. Period.

You're blind if you think recruiting hasn't fallen off. And you're misguided if you don't have concerns about the state of this program. IMO JB retiring this offseason would be the first part of turning this around. There's no reason he should hang on for dear life until he's literally in the grave. He's not getting it done anymore. Point blank.

There no conjecture about any of that. We have over 40 losses in the last three seasons. Not good.

Also a bunch of guys leaving early and recruiting restrictions.

But none of that has had any impact, nope, none at all.

I'm not going to condemn the OP for saying what he said, but my initial reaction is: be careful what you wish for.

Boeheim IS the program. We have no idea whether others will be able to continue our sustained level of success, or whether we'll drop off once he retires. Things are never certain when you are replacing a coaching icon. We've seen example after example of successors to HOF coaches struggling. In some cases, it can take 10 or more years or even longer for some of these teams to get an adequate replacement to the icon. I hope that's not what we go through.

Not a knock on Hop, either.

Part of me is ready for change and eager to see the program get some new blood and embrace some new approaches. But part of me fears that our program will face the same as what Indiana, Georgetown, and others have had to deal with after their legendary coaches went away.

And if this more about what Boeheim has built, than about HIM, then we'll be ok. I'm anticipating a drop-off, all programs go through peaks and valleys, but to me this feels like we're very close to returning to the "lucky to be ranked" years of the early 00's and much closer to the ineptitude of the 07'-08' back to back NIT era.

And if this more about what Boeheim has built, than about HIM, then we'll be ok. I'm anticipating a drop-off, all programs go through peaks and valleys, but to me this feels like we're very close to returning to the "lucky to be ranked" years of the early 00's and much closer to the ineptitude of the 07'-08' back to back NIT era.

...and we climbed out of both holes via quality recruiting. That's our only path out of this multi-year rut, as well.

...and we climbed out of both holes via quality recruiting. That's our only path out of this multi-year rut, as well.

Right...and yet again, another reason why Boeheim needs to quit with this "retirement head fake" and step down! Our recruiting has suffered due to his inability to make a firm decision. And would anyone here question if he decided he wanted to coach beyond 17-18' and drag this thing out?

Right...and yet again, another reason why Boeheim needs to quit with this "retirement head fake" and step down! Our recruiting has suffered due to his inability to make a firm decision. And would anyone here question if he decided he wanted to coach beyond 17-18' and drag this thing out?

There is no doubt that the impending retirement didn't matter for a long time, but suddenly started to matter in the last year or two. I actually think we'd be okay, given that the line in the sand is clearly defined. I don't think / believe that's the issue -- IMO, the much bigger issue is that the coaches aren't putting in the work on the recruiting trail that is required to succeed at a high level.

So, if we are poised to have another year like this one with more lackluster recruiting to close out 2017 and set up the 2018 class, then I'd rather rip the band aid off right now. If they are going to roll up their sleeves and work hard, then I wouldn't mind him returning to shake the NIT stink off the end of his storied career.

There is no doubt that the impending retirement didn't matter for a long time, but suddenly started to matter in the last year or two. I actually think we'd be okay, given that the line in the sand is clearly defined. I don't think / believe that's the issue -- IMO, the much bigger issue is that the coaches aren't putting in the work on the recruiting trail that is required to succeed at a high level.

So, if we are poised to have another year like this one with more lackluster recruiting to close out 2017 and set up the 2018 class, then I'd rather rip the band aid off right now. If they are going to roll up their sleeves and work hard, then I wouldn't mind him returning to shake the NIT stink off the end of his storied career.

Sorry, but I don't see it. JB hasn't been a factor on the recruiting trail for years now, and the retirement "line in the sand" seems to have been affecting Hopkins too. Perhaps he's looking over his shoulder for HC gigs? Who knows? But to me, it's clear that something's going on between Hopkins and Boeheim that's affecting our recruiting, which is the larger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom