Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a big man coach with this new assistant as well.
Hop coached the bigs.
I was hoping we would splash for a new assistant.
Moving Autry and GMac up is disappointing.

Please don't hire Devo. Open the purse strings and get a talented recruiting assistant.

Why is it smart? I don't agree at all.
Because it's important to avoid a lame duck situation for stability and recruiting. Other schools can't say he's leaving in a year, 2 years etc if there's no reported time table.

If i were a recruit, i'd ask that question. If i were a valuable recruit, i'd need and demand a firm answer. I have a bad feeling no one could give that kind of answer, even with this new deal. I think this just means 'more limbo.' Previously, a kid knew it was either JB or Hopkins, and he would already have been comfortable with Hop. Now what? They name another 'in waiting' position? Which, given this precedent, would be meaningless.

No specified term on this sounds like more of the 'year to year' thing JB has had. Which means he could hang'em up next year, but giving the admin time to find/come to terms with someone else. Maybe they've identified him but don't want to pay the buyout, and JB is keeping this ambiguous as a slightly firmer 'bridge?'
Exactly. We now can't tell a recruit Hop will be here. Now it's just some unknown guy. We are worse off recruiting wise than we were yesterday.

Because it's important to avoid a lame duck situation for stability and recruiting. Other schools can't say he's leaving in a year, 2 years etc if there's no reported time table.
I like the extension, but I see what iommi is saying. You can still use it against us. People will still say "you never know when he's going to retire - it could be next year". At least if they publically came out and said 2 years, recruits will know what theyre signing up for.

They can also say: how do you know if JB will be even around in a couple years? The vagueness of JB's situation has been hurting us with recruits. There are two ways to look at this but now there's still ambiguity.

Exactly. We now can't tell a recruit Hop will be here. Now it's just some unknown guy. We are worse off recruiting wise than we were yesterday.
If JB takes a more active role in recruiting and starts to actually travel - you could make the case we're better off, at least for now. Obviously we need a new guy ASAP so that he can start building relationships.

Also, based on what Francis and others have said recently - HOpkins hasn't been used nearly as much on the recruiting said lately.

Recruiting is the biggest issue here, and unless JB plans on staying another 5 years, I can't see how an extension without time frames helps the situation at all. More uncertainty every way you look at it.

No coach older than 72 has won a NCAA tournament game.

5noHKsb.jpg

Meaningless... and churlish.

Why is it smart? I don't agree at all.

Because if you announce that JB is going to stay two years and then retire, you can't recruit 2019 and later kids because they have no idea who their coach will be. Until today, you could at least say it will be either JB or Hop. Now, JB can say he plans to be around a while, and then walk away at the right time without having a lame duck period that (because of the unknown identity of the new coach) makes recruiting impossible.

We need a big man coach with this new assistant as well.
Hop coached the bigs.
I was hoping we would splash for a new assistant.
Moving Autry and GMac up is disappointing.

Please don't hire Devo. Open the purse strings and get a talented recruiting assistant.

Maybe Herman Harried WILL get a look. I'd rather go outside the family myself but that's not been our M.O.

Maybe Herman Harried WILL get a look. I'd rather go outside the family myself but that's not been our M.O.

Ten years ago, I would have been all over Herm. But our problem right now is recruiting and I'm. It sure we need a new assistant who is 50 with no prior college coaching experience.

Been to a practice?

Nope. I'm not talking about practice. I do talk to recruits and high school coaches. That's what I'm referring to. Gerry is well-liked. Coaches and recruits love him. He's not charismatic on the recruiting trail. Barking instructions to players at practice has zero to do with recruiting and you know that. I assume.

Ten years ago, I would have been all over Herm. But our problem right now is recruiting and I'm. It sure we need a new assistant who is 50 with no prior college coaching experience.

I wasn't endorsing HH.

They can also say: how do you know if JB will be even around in a couple years? The vagueness of JB's situation has been hurting us with recruits. There are two ways to look at this but now there's still ambiguity.
How does anyone know any coach will be around in a couple years?

Even the legends like Izzo (NBA), Calipari (NBA), Coach K (retirement).

No one can ever guarantee anything.

He's been in charge for a long time. When we first moved to the ACC Cantor wanted to move the Duke game to MSG. As soon as JB found out the sh$t hit the fan. That idea was dropped quickly.

AD Mark Coyle leaves. We bring in a basketball booster Wildhack who is friends with Jimmy Boeheim to run the department.

How does anyone know any coach will be around in a couple years?

Even the legends like Izzo (NBA), Calipari (NBA), Coach K (retirement).

No one can ever guarantee anything.

Fair but at least we know the contract situations of those other guys and probably nearly every other coach in the nation.

Nope. I'm not talking about practice. I do talk to recruits and high school coaches. That's what I'm referring to. Gerry is well-liked. Coaches and recruits love him. He's not charismatic on the recruiting trail. Barking instructions to players at practice has zero to do with recruiting and you know that. I assume.

you said he was quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.