Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does anyone know any coach will be around in a couple years?

Even the legends like Izzo (NBA), Calipari (NBA), Coach K (retirement).

No one can ever guarantee anything.
Roy Williams and Rick Pitinio both mid 60s as well. You never know when someone decides to enjoy their later years and hang em up, but mid 60's is a pretty good guess for when somebody might start thinking about it

you said he was quiet.

Yes, I did. I meant quiet demeanor in a general sense. Guys who actually follow recruiting and are educated on the subject all say that Gerry is not charismatic on the recruiting trail.

I was told this morning that he still wanted to get closer to "home" and his aging parents. Uhhh I get that. That is part of why I moved to AZ several years ago...This gets him close enough that maybe they can fly up and see him, or see him at the 2 LA games, and he can use those games to check in on them...It was the right opportunity, nothing more..
Perhaps, or perhaps he was told that the HC position is wide-open to a National search and they will favor experience? He could have pulled a JB and threatened to walk out the door but UW/Seattle is a much better out then JB's Rochester. Does not make sense to wait a lifetime with but one year left and then switch sides, but who knows? We are outsiders in this game. Either way, I doubt that JB was involved. His loyalty to the program is beyond question. He has accepted underpayment year after year.

Because it's important to avoid a lame duck situation for stability and recruiting. Other schools can't say he's leaving in a year, 2 years etc if there's no reported time table.

That is certainly the conventional wisdom.

They can also say: how do you know if JB will be even around in a couple years? The vagueness of JB's situation has been hurting us with recruits. There are two ways to look at this but now there's still ambiguity.

Devil's advocate:

If Wildhack is really making a play to have his own people in place, the "extension" could be BS to bridge the gap with recruits while setting us up to replace Boeheim as planned after the 2018 season.

If not, maybe Boeheim and a handful of his influential fans really are running the show and this inflexible guy is going to be coaching in a few years. I don't like our chances if that's the case.

Devil's advocate:

If Wildhack is really making a play to have his own people in place, the "extension" could be BS to bridge the gap with recruits while setting us up to replace Boeheim as planned after the 2018 season.

If not, maybe Boeheim and a handful of his influential fans really are running the show and this inflexible guy is going to be coaching in a few years. I don't like our chances if that's the case.
Good take

Devil's advocate:

That's one of several possible scenarios. The one thing I know is that nobody is going to announce when JB's last season will be because they successor will now be external.

Last edited:
Not even close to the same thing. I was at Syracuse then. Jb was the master tactician. He ran the practices. He was the lead recruiter. He got guys to come to Syracuse. So far, G-mac has been shut out as a recruiter. G-mac hasn't lit it up in any area of being an ass't. JB was a success at every area.

It's ironic that you are sh!tting on Gerry-the-coach while propping up Boeheim-the-coach, when Boeheim the coach would be an overwhelming underachiever if you took away Gerry-the-player.

I think Boeheim is a brilliant basketball guy. It isn't some coincidence that every time he calls a timeout and scripts a play, it goes off remarkably well. But he is in a business where complacency is not rewarded. He needs to stop acting like he knows every-last-thing and get out there and "earn his money."

anybody truly paying attention realized he didn't want a "farewell tour" cuz he had no plans of leaving.

Devil's advocate:

This is a great post. The problem with your first paragraph scenario is that recruits, coaches and parents aren't going to be thrilled with the vague notion of "extension." They are going to want to know for sure how long JB is going to be around. (Even if it's "for at least the first two years so and so is at SU" or whatever).

That's one of several possible scenarios. The ine thing I know is that nobody is going to announce when JB's last season will be because they successor will now be external.

Also a great post. External for sure and I am cautiously optimistic that we will be competitive in spending some bucks for that coach too, despite our track record.

This is a great post. The problem with your first paragraph scenario is that recruits, coaches and parents aren't going to be thrilled with the vague notion of "extension." They are going to want to know for sure how long JB is going to be around. (Even if it's "for at least the first two years so and so is at SU" or whatever).
What's to stop JB telling these recruits exactly how long he will be coaching, and they can then decide whether 2 or 3 more years of JB is worth coming to the Cuse? He may not say it in public, but I doubt he wouldn't inform recruits, no?

I said earlier I heard from somebody within the AD that JB committed for atleast 2 more years.

It'll be longer. I mentioned early on in that Hopkins to Washington thread that JB had requested 5 years. It caused uneasiness with Hopkins...this info. came from a source close to Mike some time ago.

What's to stop JB telling these recruits exactly how long he will be coaching, and they can then decide whether 2 or 3 more years of JB is worth coming to the Cuse? He may not say it in public, but I doubt he wouldn't inform recruits, no?

Maybe but if JB would be willing to tell a high school kid who may or may not come to SU, then why wouldn't the school announce the length of the extension? I do get your point but why the cloak and dagger now, unless, like others have speculated, the "extension" is just damage control?

With JB staying longer, SU just eliminated themselves from some of the better recruits. They want no part in playing only zone. Quinerly is one of them. WE can cross him right off the list.

LMAO. Not remotely true
He maybe right based on this article which is linked to his recruiting thread. Sounds like he doesn't want to play zone, which is what I think a lot of these kids don't want to play and possibly hurting top targets.
https://basketballrecruiting./news/four-star-pg-jahvon-quinerly-plans-to-narrow-list-soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom