Boeheim's game strategy... | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's game strategy...

Wimpy Wagon

Walk On
is to sit back in the zone and hope they start missing shots? I can't believe you allow your team to get down by 17 points and not a single foul? What are you saving them for? You have 10 guys playing, and that's 40 fouls to give. When you're team is cold and the other team has momentum you've got to do something to disrupt them and that is pressing and creating turnovers. Fouling trying to create turnovers is good defense. Only Melo should hold back. They starting doing that in the second half but by that time it was too late. To lose a game like that and to have guys with no fouls means you have not played an aggressive enough.

You'd think JB's 50 years as a college player and coach would have taught him something. :rolleyes:

I've been watching him for almost 40 of those 50 years. I guess I've learned nothing.

The only thing as annoying as the Boeheim doesn't know what he's doing posts are the ones that pretty much state he can do no wrong. I put the majority of the blame on most of the players last night, but to say JB shouldn't have done anything different in the first half would be stupid.

The only thing as annoying as the Boeheim doesn't know what he's doing posts are the ones that pretty much state he can do no wrong. I put the majority of the blame on most of the players last night, but to say JB shouldn't have done anything different in the first half would be stupid.
This. The only thing JB did wrong last night was giving Scoop too much PT. Everything else was on the players.

Ahhh, the wimpy wagon... Used to make late night runs from Booth my freshman year...

jb's strategy once again was to sit back in the zone 'til the tailights up ahead disappeared into the night and then reach down pop the trunk and release roscoe.

Agree. Boeheim's always quick to note that one can't beat a zone by shooting threes. So what'd he do for the first 20 minutes? Have the guys fire away. No dribble-drives, no flashing Southerland to the high post. Just rolling the dice and doing what he takes such pleasure in other coaches doing in losses.

Boeheim absolutely shares in the blame for that loss.

With a team like Cincy I think the hope is they fall in love with the three and shoot their way out of the game. They just stayed hot a little longer than expected - at that point I wouldn't be averse to seeing one possession of man to change the tempo (even if we get toasted), but it's not how we do it.

With a team like Cincy I think the hope is they fall in love with the three and shoot their way out of the game. They just stayed hot a little longer than expected - at that point I wouldn't be averse to seeing one possession of man to change the tempo (even if we get toasted), but it's not how we do it.

Agree, and if you play the odds they more than likely will cool down. I'm much more concerned about our offense--Or lack there of.

Our offense is really hurting us. People have been resistant to the claim that our half-court offensive is poor, probably because they don't want to believe it.

Truth is, we're playing 4-on-5 most of the time. Folks need to ask: after 60+ Division I basketball games, is Fab Melo really so bad that we can't run plays for him? He's got his flaws, but I find that hard to believe.

We've seen Louisville give Dieng (another foreign-born sophomore with limited basketball experience) every chance to develop as a post presence. And he's been able to do it - he's got good footwork and a nice little jump hook.

Fab, meanwhile, isn't allowed any touches. With the pick-and-roll better defended than it was in January, he's limited to a garbage man role in the offense. So not only are we an average (at best) shooting team, we're choosing to add a degree of difficulty by telling our athletic 7'0" center than we won't give him any touches.

It's because JB concentrates all practice time on teaching the zone. Who cares about offense.

Even though Cincy started off on fire from three point range what lost the game was our shooting way too many threes early in the game. Even with 3-4 minutes left we still had time to win without forcing threes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom