Boxing | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

Watched Gervonte 'Tank' Davis vs. Isaac (they pronounced it 'E-sock') Cruz fight. it came advertised as a battle of knock-out artists but i decided to score it anyway and that was a good thing because it went the distance and there were no knockdowns, although there were several slips and a bit of wrestling. It was Cruz who was the 'tank' in this one, putting his hands to his head, crouching down and burrowing in while Davis, who needs a better nickname, showed the full range of his talents with lateral movement, a decent jab, some straight left hands and upper-cuts.

It was Davis' first fight against a shorter fighter and it was like a bear fighting a badger as the feisty Cruz refused to be detoured by Davis's flashy movements and combination. Davis seemed surprised by his opponent's aggressiveness and was unable to get his respect in the first round. In the second, Davis held his ground more and got Cruz to back off a bit but he wasn't going to win the fight that way so Cruz resumed his assault, blocking many punches but taking many as well. he wanted to get to Davis' body and late in the fight he was credited with landing 38 body punches.

Cruz kept bending over and in the 6th Davis, who was by my card winning his fifth round in a row, hurt his left hand. He used it less and less as the fight went on. and stopped using it altogether at the end of the fight. At the same time those body punches added up and Davis was moving less. That allowed Cruz to score a lot more and he came on strong in the second half of the fight. Davis was doing more and more retreating as his lead shrunk.

Then he showed his brilliance as a fighter, winning the 12 and final round strictly with his right had, pumping the jab, throwing occasional hooks and resuming his movements to avoid Cruz' attack. That clinched the fight for him. I and one judge had it 116-112 but the other two judges had it 115-113. Davis was asked afterwards if he wanted a rematch. he laughed and said "Hell, no!" He's now 26-0 with 24 knockouts. Here's hoping that 2022 will feature some knock-off fights for these younger guys who still have their goose-eggs. Having watched Haney and Davis in successive fights, I was much more impressed with Davis and think he will be one of the top fighters of his generation.
Better card than I expected. Adames-Derevyanchenko (undercard) was fan friendly, although “D” is now shop-worn and just a gatekeeper at this stage in his career. Adames-Munguia at 160 would be a fun future scrap.

Much more competitive main event than I thought it would be. Cruz was a substitute and thought Ellerbie/Mayweather (risk adverse management team) picked him for a reason - to make Davis look good. Issac much tougher and stylistically problematic than I think the “suits” reckoned. Pushed Davis onto the back foot and neutralized his power somewhat during the course of the fight. Thought Davis was in better shape (than he’s been in the last couple of bouts) and needed it for this one. Cruz roughed him up but Davis’ legs held down the stretch. Give Gervonta credit - tough to win with one hand.

Like you, I think Davis is an elite talent. And 135 is a deep division. Styles make fights; none of these guys (Davis, Haney, Kambosos, Lopez, Loma, Stevenson, Colbert) are unbeatable though. And they can’t ”marinate” forever without atrophy settling in (Daddy Lopez)…. Allot of good matchups possible and the network/promotional conglomerates will have to ”play their hands” eventually. Anyway, still bet we see Kambosos-Haney and maybe Lopez-Loma rematch next year. Hearing rumblings (again) of Crawford and Spence camp negotiations. Optimistically, could be a start….

I watched an evening of boxing to take my mind off of basketball.

ESPN had a card headed by Lomachenko. there's still another upcoming lightweight: Keyshawn Davis, a protege of Bud Crawford's, who knocked out a veteran named Jose Zaragosa in the second round with a body punch, (everybody's doing it these days, it seems). They showed highlights of a rising junior middleweight named Xander Zayas who won a unanimous decision over Jose Luis Sanchez. Andre Ward said he was one of the top ten prospects in boxing and that Davis "might be there in a year".

Then they brought on Jared Anderson, a heavyweight who advertises himself as "The read Big Baby", (If Big Baby Miller ever gets off the stuff, maybe they can fight each other to see who keeps the nickname). Anderson dresses outrageously, both for his entrance and with his complicated 'trunks', which have attachments flying all over the place. He doesn't need it. he pounded out a Russian named Teslenko in two rounds.

Lomachecnko dominated Richard Commey as he has so many other opponents, with his unmatched footwork and combinations. his tireless motor and his confidence and mental toughness. Commey was game, almost getting knocked out in the 7th, (Loma was signaling for his corner to throw in the towel to avoid further damage). he also got some good shots in, especially to Loma's body. But it did him no good. the boxers i worry about are the game, tough ones who are out-gunned. They take the most punishment. It's better, physically, to get knocked out early than to go 12 rounds and lose virtually all of them, (Commey got credit for a late round Loma took off). They have no chance to win but are still punching back so the referee won't stop it. Anyway, Commey survived OK and was hugging Loma at the end. there's talk of a fight between Loma and Kambosis, which I think Loma would win. Loma continues his tour of Teofimo Lopez's past victims with the obvious intent of forcing Lopez back into the ring. They ran an interview before the fight where Loma assessed some of the other top contenders. he's not impressed with Haney or Davis but thinks Ryan Garcia has the right stuff, which my mean that Loma may be fighting Garcia in the near future.

Showtime also had a card. I saw the end of a Brandun Lee fight where he punched out one Juan Heraldez in the 7th round. lee is now 24-0 with 22 knockouts. His division? Lightweight, of course. there was much talk through the evening about how 2022 needs to be the year the guys with the goose eggs at the end of their record need to start fighting each other. How about a tournament?

Then an impressively tattooed and bearded former Canadian hockey player named Cody Crowley beat the snot out of a guy named Kudratillo Abdukakhorov who was going to be a mandatory defense for Errol Spence. Crowley out-punched him by a 2-1 margin and ripped open his left ear, winning a unanimous decision despite a flash knockdown. Mr. Abdukakhorov is fortunate that Mr. Spence will be fighting someone else, perhaps Mr. Crowley.

Nonito Donaire, at age 39 took on a fellow Pilipino named Reymart Gaballo, who appeared to be his protege. Gaballo had a record of 24-0 with 20 knockouts and was 14 years younger. It didn't matter. Donaire knocked him out with still another body punch in the 4th round than then gave him a big hug. Donaire is looking for a rematch with Naoya Inoue. Inoue is a truly great fighter but so is Donaire, the only one to give Inoue a truly competitive bout. So that's something else to look forward to in 2022.

Fortunately neither a hockey game nor a basketball game broke out during these fights.

Watched Artur Beterbiev beat Marcus Browne by a referee stoppage in the 9th round tonight in a blood-soaked match. Browne, a considerable underdog, won the first couple of rounds against the slow-starting Beterbiev who seemed bothered by Browne's southpaw stance, which made it hard to jab him and by Browne's kinetic movement, back and fourth, (rather than side-to side). Browne had some hand-speed and was able to throw combinations which frustrated the champ but didn't hurt him.

Late in the third, Browne did an unwise thing. He went into a 'rope-a-dope stance, holding his fists in a 'peek-a-boo stance' and occasionally erupting with a combination. But that gave BB a stationary target and enough punches got through to turn the fight his way. Browne was much better in the open ring.

then in the fourth came what could have bene a critical moment. there was a clash of heads. Both men came away bleeding, Brownne from a minor cut over one eye and BB from a major one in the middle of the forehead, feeding into both eyes. it was clear BB was the one most effected. he seemed to back off and when he did punch, it didn't seem to be with his normal thump. he kept using his gloves to wipe away the blood. the ref had him examined by the ring doctor who "gave him one more round" before he would stop it. that proved to be worse news for Browne than for Beterbiev.

BB went after him with a vengeance. He was almost too aggressive, not putting enough behind any one punch and strictly head-hunting. His corner kept shouting for him to go to the body. he didn't but he dominated the round enough for the ref to decide to keep the ring doctor out of it: he didn't ask for another examination. In the 7th, BB finally listened to his corner and hit Browne with a body shot that crumpled him: all those head shots had caused Marcus to raise his gloves and thus his elbows a bit too high. Browne continued but two rounds later, he fell against the rope and the ref stopped it. A valiant effort by the over-matched Browne and by Beterbiev to fight through a mask of his own blood to win.

It's a rough game...

Watched Artur Beterbiev beat Marcus Browne by a referee stoppage in the 9th round tonight in a blood-soaked match. Browne, a considerable underdog, won the first couple of rounds against the slow-starting Beterbiev who seemed bothered by Browne's southpaw stance, which made it hard to jab him and by Browne's kinetic movement, back and fourth, (rather than side-to side). Browne had some hand-speed and was able to throw combinations which frustrated the champ but didn't hurt him.

Late in the third, Browne did an unwise thing. He went into a 'rope-a-dope stance, holding his fists in a 'peek-a-boo stance' and occasionally erupting with a combination. But that gave BB a stationary target and enough punches got through to turn the fight his way. Browne was much better in the open ring.

then in the fourth came what could have bene a critical moment. there was a clash of heads. Both men came away bleeding, Brownne from a minor cut over one eye and BB from a major one in the middle of the forehead, feeding into both eyes. it was clear BB was the one most effected. he seemed to back off and when he did punch, it didn't seem to be with his normal thump. he kept using his gloves to wipe away the blood. the ref had him examined by the ring doctor who "gave him one more round" before he would stop it. that proved to be worse news for Browne than for Beterbiev.

BB went after him with a vengeance. He was almost too aggressive, not putting enough behind any one punch and strictly head-hunting. His corner kept shouting for him to go to the body. he didn't but he dominated the round enough for the ref to decide to keep the ring doctor out of it: he didn't ask for another examination. In the 7th, BB finally listened to his corner and hit Browne with a body shot that crumpled him: all those head shots had caused Marcus to raise his gloves and thus his elbows a bit too high. Browne continued but two rounds later, he fell against the rope and the ref stopped it. A valiant effort by the over-matched Browne and by Beterbiev to fight through a mask of his own blood to win.

It's a rough game...
Thanks for that write up. I wanted to watch this but didn't realize it was on a Friday night. No other "major" fights through January that I can see.

Thanks for that write up. I wanted to watch this but didn't realize it was on a Friday night. No other "major" fights through January that I can see.
Promoters got funky with their scheduling this month. Inoue fight midweek (with no TV or stream outside of Japan), Tank Davis on a Sunday night PPV, Beterbiev on a Friday…. Not sure I understand the business model…. Agree this is it (from a fight scheduling perspective) for the year. GGG-Murata (was the Japan New Year’s Eve fight) scrapped due to COVID restrictions.

Good fight. Some drama with the cuts. When I saw the matchup scheduled, I thought Browne might provide Beterbiev some early problems with mvmt (like Golowaki did), but would eventually be ground down. Basically what happened. Artur is just a wrecking ball. Not flashy, but slow, suffocating, bruising pressure. Style reminds me (a bit) of Rocky Marciano; not devastating power, speed or reflexes but punishing. Ramrod jab and basic punch variety (one to the body, one to the head). Tough to the midsection. Too strong to smother on the inside. Gets stronger as the fight wears on and progressively shortens the ring. Can’t deter him or make him go away. Just keeps hurting the opponent until resistance ends….

Watched Bivol last weekend after the Georgetown debacle against a pretty decent opponent (previously undefeated Salamov) and made him look ordinary. I‘ve liked Bivol since HBO tried to hype him early in his pro career. Really skilled, one of the best jabs in boxing and puts beautiful punches together. But something is bothering me about him. He’s fighting like an amateur these days - not setting down on his shots, safety first, hit and not get hit, not looking to close, just out pointing guys. I read that Bivol is still using his old Russian amateur trainer. Some pundits hypothesize this might be “ing” Dmitri’s pro potential. Maybe. Coincidentally, Bivol’s gone “safety first” since the Joe Smith fight a couple of years back (Smith wobbled him with a LH in the last rd). I dunno, seen it happen before. Hector Camacho became a gun-shy runner for many years after Edwin Rosario cracked him during a “Puerto Rican rivalry” Lightweight Title scrap in the mid 80’s. Like SWC said, it’s a rough game…

I just hope Beterbiev, Bivol (and Spence and Crawford and Inoue and Fury and Usyk and the Lightweights, etc, etc) fight more often (and each other) in 2022. Young guys (Ennis, Ortiz, Munguia, Berlanga, Keyshawn Davis, Magsayo, etc) should be in there at least 3-4 times per year. Too much inactivity from the big names (other than Canelo). Top guys avoiding each other and promoter politics are degrading the sport.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow SU boxing fans….

Promoters got funky with their scheduling this month. Inoue fight midweek (with no TV or stream outside of Japan), Tank Davis on a Sunday night PPV, Beterbiev on a Friday…. Not sure I understand the business model…. Agree this is it (from a fight scheduling perspective) for the year. GGG-Murata (was the Japan New Year’s Eve fight) scrapped due to COVID restrictions.

Good fight. Some drama with the cuts. When I saw the matchup scheduled, I thought Browne might provide Beterbiev some early problems with mvmt (like Golowaki did), but would eventually be ground down. Basically what happened. Artur is just a wrecking ball. Not flashy, but slow, suffocating, bruising pressure. Style reminds me (a bit) of Rocky Marciano; not devastating power, speed or reflexes but punishing. Ramrod jab and basic punch variety (one to the body, one to the head). Tough to the midsection. Too strong to smother on the inside. Gets stronger as the fight wears on and progressively shortens the ring. Can’t deter him or make him go away. Just keeps hurting the opponent until resistance ends….

Watched Bivol last weekend after the Georgetown debacle against a pretty decent opponent (previously undefeated Salamov) and made him look ordinary. I‘ve liked Bivol since HBO tried to hype him early in his pro career. Really skilled, one of the best jabs in boxing and puts beautiful punches together. But something is bothering me about him. He’s fighting like an amateur these days - not setting down on his shots, safety first, hit and not get hit, not looking to close, just out pointing guys. I read that Bivol is still using his old Russian amateur trainer. Some pundits hypothesize this might be “ing” Dmitri’s pro potential. Maybe. Coincidentally, Bivol’s gone “safety first” since the Joe Smith fight a couple of years back (Smith wobbled him with a LH in the last rd). I dunno, seen it happen before. Hector Camacho became a gun-shy runner for many years after Edwin Rosario cracked him during a “Puerto Rican rivalry” Lightweight Title scrap in the mid 80’s. Like SWC said, it’s a rough game…

I just hope Beterbiev, Bivol (and Spence and Crawford and Inoue and Fury and Usyk and the Lightweights, etc, etc) fight more often (and each other) in 2022. Young guys (Ennis, Ortiz, Munguia, Berlanga, Keyshawn Davis, Magsayo, etc) should be in there at least 3-4 times per year. Too much inactivity from the big names (other than Canelo). Top guys avoiding each other and promoter politics are degrading the sport.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow SU boxing fans….
Yeah, now that you write all those fights out, wow that is a very different schedule.

Two other up and comers, Jared Anderson and Brandun Lee. I watched both of their last fights Dec 11 (have seen both fight a few times before). Haraldez gave Lee a good fight and had Lee go further than he had before. Both Anderson and Lee are on the cocky side which is fine, but I hope it doesn't go into the 'bite off more than they can chew' kind. I hope they have a good team around them and make smart decisions. They both need more work before a marquee fight.

I'll trust those in the know, but as far as Keyshawn Davis is concerned, I don't see anything special, having watched him in the Olympics and his last fight. I know the comp has been low since he's just starting out, but I guess I'll use the wait and see approach. He does have a very good frame and has skills no doubt, but when I read the things being said about him like 'can't miss prospect', or 'will be a title contender', way too early from what I can see.

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you guys as well.

With the SU basketball season foundering I thought I'll look at ESPN's boxing page to see if there are any interesting bouts coming up. Nope:

Divisional rankings: Gilberto Ramirez keeps climbing the light heavyweight rankings
(They haven't even bothered to update this since the fall.)

This sport is the worst for giving fans what they want. The next opponent for virtually every contender in every division is "TBA". Either that or the date is TBA. As a casual fan, I see nothing but bouts between fighters I've never heard of or between one guy I've heard of and one guy I haven't. The sport has been cross-shredded by too many alphabet soup 'ruling bodies', (meaning businesses that make money by sanctioning fights as championship fights so they can be advertised as such), split divisions, (same purpose), and the tangled web of managers, promoters and networks what often refuse to deal with each other.

I'd love to see the major media outlets get together to re-establish the traditional full divisions, (I'd include the cruiserweights but call them "middle heavyweights" and create a new "super-heavyweight divisions for the guys the size of basketball players), and have an annual tournament to determine the champion of each. That could revitalize interest in the sport. if the public preferred that, as I think they would, those who refuse to participate would have to come around because that's where the money would be. Boxing would then be on the sports calendar with annual events: the quarter-finals in the spring, the semi-finals in the summer and the finals, on pay-per-view, in the fall.

For now, I guess I'll be watching golf to get my mind off of basketball.

Ticket info for Turning Stone this Saturday 1/15

Ticket info for Turning Stone this Saturday 1/15

Watched this card. Not too impressed with Smith Jr. aka the beast from the east. There's talks of him moving up in competition, I hope he changes his style or trainer because I don't think he's any good.

Gary Russell Jr. So the longest winning streak in boxing is over, and his return after a 2 year layoff ends in defeat. He claims he tore a tendon in camp a few weeks back, well that's pretty stupid to keep the fight as scheduled then. He claimed he took Magsayo to school and won "10-2 or 9-3". It was clear Magsayo beat him, he sounds like Broner who I probably hate more than anyone.

Nyambayar v Lukas was a great fight. Lukas took the fight as a late replacement with a weeks notice and flew 27 hrs from Namibia! Nyambayar rocked Lukas in the 1st rnd and during the break between rounds the ref came over to Lukas corner to ask if he wanted to continue. Lukas was game and controlled the fight from about the 4th. Then in the 8th, what should have been a knockdown by Lukas was ruled a slip by the ref. Jim Gray questioned the ref after the final bell, which I don't think I've ever seen. He asked the ref to stand there and watch the replay, that was uncomfortable even for me, weird. It was a draw. Some good scraps for there not being any type of major fights.

I've been typing up my Upside/Downside posts for the basketball game with Showtime's boxing card on in the background, (my computer is in the next room). I have no comment on any of the bouts but this stood out to me: Gary Antuanne Russell, the younger brother of Gary Russell Jr., (why do boxers do this?) beat Viktor Postol on a controversial stoppage with 28 seconds left in the bout. What might have happened in those 28 seconds? I don't know but that's not what I'm posting about.

Vicktor Postol is Ukranian, and his family is back home in that country while he's trying to avoid or absorb Russell's left hooks here to make money for his family. After the fight was over, he said that he's going to try to go back to the Ukraine and if they won't let him in, he's going to try to walk over the border.

I wish him and his family all the good luck in the world. They are going to need it.

I've been typing up my Upside/Downside posts for the basketball game with Showtime's boxing card on in the background, (my computer is in the next room). I have no comment on any of the bouts but this stood out to me: Gary Antuanne Russell, the younger brother of Gary Russell Jr., (why do boxers do this?) beat Viktor Postol on a controversial stoppage with 28 seconds left in the bout. What might have happened in those 28 seconds? I don't know but that's not what I'm posting about.

Vicktor Postol is Ukranian, and his family is back home in that country while he's trying to avoid or absorb Russell's left hooks here to make money for his family. After the fight was over, he said that he's going to try to go back to the Ukraine and if they won't let him in, he's going to try to walk over the border.

I wish him and his family all the good luck in the world. They are going to need it.
Silly stoppage. Although I had Russell winning, thought Postol played him at times like a wily, older experiened vet.
Hopefully Russell will stay more active than his brother. Gary wasted his talent and career by only fighting once every two years.

Thought Josh Taylor was “gifted” a hometown decision vs Jake Cathharal earlier. Got out worked, kept falling into counterpunching traps and didn’t move his hands enough. Never established rhythm or control. Maybe Cathharal was a bad stylistic matchup or maybe Taylor isn’t that good….

The Martinez-Ancajas Jr Bantam scrap was action filled and highly entertaining. A tough guy contest. Ancajas‘ defense was his chin.

Finally, watched late sub Hector Garcia dominate Chris Colbert, one of PBC’s young showcase guys at 130/35. Colbert, while a colorful dresser in the ring, lacks world class power and was beat down by a stronger and tougher guy. Bad fight strategy by Colbert too - never tried to use his legs and length to keep Garcia at distance. I thought Colbert gave up after getting dropped by a pretty check LH in the 7th and ran to the final bell. I was never a fan of this kid anyway - all flash, speed, mouth (social media) and no pega. Adrien Broner 2.0….

While no Crawford-Spence or Fury-Usyk on the horizon, we at least get Canelo-Bivol in May and probably GGG III in the fall. I think Bivol is the most difficult (stylistic) matchup Canelo could make. Like him or not, Alvarez is facing credible, live opponents. Unlike the majority of the sport’s elite.

Saved round. If the Ukrainian military and irregulars continue to show the same fight and heart that their boxers always display, I wouldn’t want to be the Red Army that faces them….

I was surprised to come across this and see that Klitschko is the mayor of Kyiv...
Became my favorite heavyweight that night he battled Lennox.

Silly stoppage. Although I had Russell winning, thought Postol played him at times like a wily, older experiened vet.
Hopefully Russell will stay more active than his brother. Gary wasted his talent and career by only fighting once every two years.

Thought Josh Taylor was “gifted” a hometown decision vs Jake Cathharal earlier. Got out worked, kept falling into counterpunching traps and didn’t move his hands enough. Never established rhythm or control. Maybe Cathharal was a bad stylistic matchup or maybe Taylor isn’t that good….

The Martinez-Ancajas Jr Bantam scrap was action filled and highly entertaining. A tough guy contest. Ancajas‘ defense was his chin.

Finally, watched late sub Hector Garcia dominate Chris Colbert, one of PBC’s young showcase guys at 130/35. Colbert, while a colorful dresser in the ring, lacks world class power and was beat down by a stronger and tougher guy. Bad fight strategy by Colbert too - never tried to use his legs and length to keep Garcia at distance. I thought Colbert gave up after getting dropped by a pretty check LH in the 7th and ran to the final bell. I was never a fan of this kid anyway - all flash, speed, mouth (social media) and no pega. Adrien Broner 2.0….

While no Crawford-Spence or Fury-Usyk on the horizon, we at least get Canelo-Bivol in May and probably GGG III in the fall. I think Bivol is the most difficult (stylistic) matchup Canelo could make. Like him or not, Alvarez is facing credible, live opponents. Unlike the majority of the sport’s elite.

Saved round. If the Ukrainian military and irregulars continue to show the same fight and heart that their boxers always display, I wouldn’t want to be the Red Army that faces them….

Colbert wouldn't even listen to his own corner who yelled at to "get off the f... ropes!" Apparently, he doesn't respect his own people.

Running line on ESPN: Usyk and Lomachenko are in the Ukraine, taking up arms with the Klitschkos. Postol is on the way, too. I just wish they could throw the guns and bombs away and just decide this with fists.

Meanwhile a few more 'TBA's' will be on the boxing schedule. I hope we see them all in the ring again.

Last edited:
Early fight of the year candidate on DAZN - Leigh Wood-Michael Conlan for the WBA Featherweight Title.
Great action. Conlan dominated early (put Wood on the deck) and often. Great use of a very educated left over and under. But his lack of world-class power let Wood stick around. And led to a dramatic come-from-behind 12th Rd KO by Wood that knocked Conlan out of the ring and onto press row. Shades of Joe Smith sending Bernard Hopkins into retirement a few years back.
Conlan, although the challenger, was the much more heralded fighter (amateur champ, Olympian, big DAZN contract). But as Colbert (PBC Lightweight protege) learned a couple of weeks ago, light mitts don’t deter seasoned pro’s. I thought Wood’s pressure and heavier punching, although outboxed for much of the fight, just wore Conlan out late. Will (and heavier hands) won out over the skill in this one.

Early fight of the year candidate on DAZN - Leigh Wood-Michael Conlan for the WBA Featherweight Title.
Great action. Conlan dominated early (put Wood on the deck) and often. Great use of a very educated left over and under. But his lack of world-class power let Wood stick around. And led to a dramatic come-from-behind 12th Rd KO by Wood that knocked Conlan out of the ring and onto press row. Shades of Joe Smith sending Bernard Hopkins into retirement a few years back.
Conlan, although the challenger, was the much more heralded fighter (amateur champ, Olympian, big DAZN contract). But as Colbert (PBC Lightweight protege) learned a couple of weeks ago, light mitts don’t deter seasoned pro’s. I thought Wood’s pressure and heavier punching, although outboxed for much of the fight, just wore Conlan out late. Will (and heavier hands) won out over the skill in this one.

Watched Miguel Berchelt and Timmy Tszyu bouts tonight after the Elite 8 game(s).

I suspected that it would be hard for Berchelt to recover from the Oscar Valdez beat down a year ago. And I was correct. Legs were stiff and couldn’t apply any effective pressure. Jeremiah Nakathila just teed off on him from the opening bell and beat Miguel up before the ref stopped it after the 6th rd. Berchelt needs to retire. Big weight cutter when he was at 126 and the physicality just didn’t follow up to JrLight/Light.

Tszyu looked okay against Terrell Gausha (good journeyman, not much of a banger) over on PBC/Showtime. Got dropped in the 1st when beaten to the punch during an exchange of RH’s but otherwise dominated. I‘ve watched Tszyu fight a few times previously on DAZN - style reminds me of his old man (HOF’er Kostya Tszyu) but without the head mvmt. Nice punch variety/placement, body work and strength, but lifts that chin when he throws punches in combination. Could be bad news against the top 154 lbers. Since Tim is now with Haymon, I expect he’ll be matched with the usual “stable suspects” (Lublin, JRock, etc) before Al puts him in with the Charlo’s next year.

Most intriguing fighter (to me) was over on DAZN (from Buenos Aries)- Gustavo Lemos (27-0). Beat down a washed Lee Selby in 5. Crude, but strong, awkward and just keeps coming. Reminds me of the Argentinian strongmen from years back (Victor Galindez, Juan Domingo Roldan, Carlos Baldomir, Ringo Bonevena). Might be a problem for others in the loaded 135 Division.

Watched Miguel Berchelt and Timmy Tszyu bouts tonight after the Elite 8 game(s).

I suspected that it would be hard for Berchelt to recover from the Oscar Valdez beat down a year ago. And I was correct. Legs were stiff and couldn’t apply any effective pressure. Jeremiah Nakathila just teed off on him from the opening bell and beat Miguel up before the ref stopped it after the 6th rd. Berchelt needs to retire. Big weight cutter when he was at 126 and the physicality just didn’t follow up to JrLight/Light.

Tszyu looked okay against Terrell Gausha (good journeyman, not much of a banger) over on PBC/Showtime. Got dropped in the 1st when beaten to the punch during an exchange of RH’s but otherwise dominated. I‘ve watched Tszyu fight a few times previously on DAZN - style reminds me of his old man (HOF’er Kostya Tszyu) but without the head mvmt. Nice punch variety/placement, body work and strength, but lifts that chin when he throws punches in combination. Could be bad news against the top 154 lbers. Since Tim is now with Haymon, I expect he’ll be matched with the usual “stable suspects” (Lublin, JRock, etc) before Al puts him in with the Charlo’s next year.

Most intriguing fighter (to me) was over on DAZN (from Buenos Aries)- Gustavo Lemos (27-0). Beat down a washed Lee Selby in 5. Crude, but strong, awkward and just keeps coming. Reminds me of the Argentinian strongmen from years back (Victor Galindez, Juan Domingo Roldan, Carlos Baldomir, Ringo Bonevena). Might be a problem for others in the loaded 135 Division.

I watched some of those after the basketball and agree with your analysis. Berchelt was a powerhouse at feather weight for quite a while but is totally washed up and just risking his life taking those straight rights. Tszyu threw classic combinations has to overwhelm his opponent with punches or he'll get the '2' in that Abbot and Costello joke I like. I also watched Edgar Berlanga last week pound out his third straight decision after 16 one round knock-outs in a row. he's never really learned to become a complete boxer, plodding forward, looking for the one big shot to take his man out. he didn't look like the future of the division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom