Boxing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

Fury came in 21 pounds heavier, (256 to 277), and he didn't move as well as in the previous fights. Wilder, per the preview, had been lifting weights to get stronger and punch harder but that wasn't his problem. Footwork, defense and the lack of a strong jab were. He came out sharp, pumping the jab and snapping his punches after it but a fighter's true nature reveals itself as a fight goes on and the old habits returned. he backed into the ropes rather than using lateral movement and let Fury drape himself all over Wilder, which wore Wilder out. So did Fury's ability to throw combinations and to throw a power jab when Wilder failed to jab. Wilder just kept firing fight hands to the head and as the fight moved along, his punches lost steam. there was some talk he might have broken his right hand but Lennox Lewis urged him to "throw it anyway".

What made the fight special was the guts the fighters showed. Fury knocked down Wilder in the third. Wilder twice knocked Fury down in the fourth. Fury knocked Wilder down in the 10th and out in the 11th. Both guys rallied when they appeared exhausted and responded when the other fellow seemed to be dominating.

Could there be Fury-Wilder IV? Will Fury wait for the Usyk-Joshua rematch and fight the winner? Will Wilder ever fight Joshua? Stay tuned.

The wait for the next great heavyweight continues. I don't think it's any of these guys. But their imperfections makes their fights interesting.

That was spectacular from the opening bell til Fury's karaoke performance to close it out.

Anthony Joshua’s name shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Tyson Fury again. I understand it would easily be the biggest fight in british boxing history, but AJ has absolutely nothing for Tyson. He’d get his brains bashed in for 12 rounds, if he could even make it that far. Since he lost to Usyk, I doubt we ever see Tyson-AJ, but I don’t think we need to.

I’m just a casual boxing fan, but that fight was incredible. I have a ton of respect for Wilder after that, and Fury is just amazing.

Fury came in 21 pounds heavier, (256 to 277), and he didn't move as well as in the previous fights. Wilder, per the preview, had been lifting weights to get stronger and punch harder but that wasn't his problem. Footwork, defense and the lack of a strong jab were. He came out sharp, pumping the jab and snapping his punches after it but a fighter's true nature reveals itself as a fight goes on and the old habits returned. he backed into the ropes rather than using lateral movement and let Fury drape himself all over Wilder, which wore Wilder out. So did Fury's ability to throw combinations and to throw a power jab when Wilder failed to jab. Wilder just kept firing fight hands to the head and as the fight moved along, his punches lost steam. there was some talk he might have broken his right hand but Lennox Lewis urged him to "throw it anyway".

What made the fight special was the guts the fighters showed. Fury knocked down Wilder in the third. Wilder twice knocked Fury down in the fourth. Fury knocked Wilder down in the 10th and out in the 11th. Both guys rallied when they appeared exhausted and responded when the other fellow seemed to be dominating.

Could there be Fury-Wilder IV? Will Fury wait for the Usyk-Joshua rematch and fight the winner? Will Wilder ever fight Joshua? Stay tuned.

The wait for the next great heavyweight continues. I don't think it's any of these guys. But their imperfections makes their fights interesting.
“What made the fight special was the guts the fighters showed.” I agree - and that’s what made number 3 the best of their trilogy.

I think boxing is better when the heavyweights are competitive and exciting. An action packed championship fight was necessary and welcomed. Unlike Usyk/Joshua (more technical), this one appealed to the casual fan as well.

Bottom line - Fury is just allot better all-around fighter than Wilder. He’s much bigger (which he uses to advantage well), but also much more versatile and skilled. And a better brawler…. While fun to watch, I thought the announcing team and internet world overhyped the fight’s place (excitement and skill perspective) in heavyweight history. It wasn’t Ali/Frazier or even Norton/Holmes or Holyfield/Bowe. I thought it was more a messy Holmes/Shavers II (early 80’s) - a great puncher/KO artist was losing to a more skilled champ, landed the big shot, created a dramatic moment and had a chance to finish. But the champ demonstrated why he was the champ - bit the mouthpiece, bought time, recovered and otherwise outclassed and pounded a very game and dangerous (but limited) challenger into submission.

I thought Malik Scott (Wilder’s trainer now) improved Deontay’s craft for this one - more punch variety, taught him how to clinch/in fight more effectively along the ropes, spin off the opponent, etc. The bad habits (footwork, balance and wide punching) re-emerged under duress, but Wilder did better at close and midrange this time. Fury is just better at all of it (so that had allot to do with things). Deontay is 36 with nothing to prove. Hope he takes a long rest - deserves it. Joshua won’t fight him (chinny) and Usyk wants to unify with Tyson. Not many options other than well earned retirement.

Fury looks and wins ugly, but I think he’s the best Heavyweight since Lennox. Unlike Joshua, he has that championship intangible (as does Usyk). He just wins. I’d pick him over Usyk (whom I like and respect very much) - too big and knows how to use it. Hope we get to see it next year.

“What made the fight special was the guts the fighters showed.” I agree - and that’s what made number 3 the best of their trilogy.

I think boxing is better when the heavyweights are competitive and exciting. An action packed championship fight was necessary and welcomed. Unlike Usyk/Joshua (more technical), this one appealed to the casual fan as well.

Bottom line - Fury is just allot better all-around fighter than Wilder. He’s much bigger (which he uses to advantage well), but also much more versatile and skilled. And a better brawler…. While fun to watch, I thought the announcing team and internet world overhyped the fight’s place (excitement and skill perspective) in heavyweight history. It wasn’t Ali/Frazier or even Norton/Holmes or Holyfield/Bowe. I thought it was more a messy Holmes/Shavers II (early 80’s) - a great puncher/KO artist was losing to a more skilled champ, landed the big shot, created a dramatic moment and had a chance to finish. But the champ demonstrated why he was the champ - bit the mouthpiece, bought time, recovered and otherwise outclassed and pounded a very game and dangerous (but limited) challenger into submission.

I thought Malik Scott (Wilder’s trainer now) improved Deontay’s craft for this one - more punch variety, taught him how to clinch/in fight more effectively along the ropes, spin off the opponent, etc. The bad habits (footwork, balance and wide punching) re-emerged under duress, but Wilder did better at close and midrange this time. Fury is just better at all of it (so that had allot to do with things). Deontay is 36 with nothing to prove. Hope he takes a long rest - deserves it. Joshua won’t fight him (chinny) and Usyk wants to unify with Tyson. Not many options other than well earned retirement.

Fury looks and wins ugly, but I think he’s the best Heavyweight since Lennox. Unlike Joshua, he has that championship intangible (as does Usyk). He just wins. I’d pick him over Usyk (whom I like and respect very much) - too big and knows how to use it. Hope we get to see it next year.
Agree with all of this. I really liked Malik Scott's direction in the corner, he is good. As for Wilder like we've all mentioned time and time again, he's lacking critical skills to be a complete boxer. I loved that Malik had a plan for him, jabbing the body in the early rounds, but as soon as he got hit his brain resorted back to his old bad habits. His defense and footwork sucked, no lateral movement which if he had, wouldn't have taken as many of those straight rights from Fury. Also his accuracy was really bad. Oh well, his career's over as far as title's go as is Joshua's.

I like Usyk as well but can't yet see him beating Fury, although I'll be rooting for him. I like a few youngsters like the 21 yr old from Houston Jared Anderson, but it'll be a while if ever for the "kids". I hope to see more skilled guys step in this division that we're not aware of, but I'm probably dreaming.

Berlanga disappointed me, but his opponent was no joke. That's a great "lesson" fight for him, reminded me of when Teofimo Lopez was rolling along but needed a fight to where he learned lessons and to better himself and got just that when he ran into Nakatani. He upped his skill level after that.
I remember in July thinking we wouldn't get any good fights the rest of the year and now November and December is stacked. I hope Porter is focused for Crawford.

WOW, Sandor Martin! I can't believe he beat Mikey Garcia, biggest upset since?... Mikey didn't look game and didn't look like he was in the greatest shape. Martin had the perfect game plan and executed it every round. I was waiting for the judges to screw this up, and of course one did, but between them all they got it right. Mikey thought he was winning on the cards???? Somethings off with him.

Haney was sure chirping a lot before the fight, we'll see what happens.

WOW, Sandor Martin! I can't believe he beat Mikey Garcia, biggest upset since?... Mikey didn't look game and didn't look like he was in the greatest shape. Martin had the perfect game plan and executed it every round. I was waiting for the judges to screw this up, and of course one did, but between them all they got it right. Mikey thought he was winning on the cards???? Somethings off with him.

Haney was sure chirping a lot before the fight, we'll see what happens.
No such thing as a tuneup for an inactive boxer who only fights once a year. Even when your opponent is a Euro unknown without much pedigree….
Hats off to Martin - agree he fought a smart, disciplined bout. Thought he clearly deserved the verdict - controlled pace, tempo and distance.
But Mikey looked horrible, just cashing the $1.5M DAZN check…. Chubby (ier than usual) and unable to throw anything other than a standard 1-2 (that Martin slipped all night). Bad pre-fight scouting by Mikey’s old man. No body work, no LH to complete a three-punch combination, no effective pressure.
That jump to 147 for the Spence “exhibition” might have destroyed Garcia’s ability to compete at the world class level. Tried to be a “boxing free agent” (no contractual promotional group), call his own shots and destroyed his career with inactivity. Should be back at 135. He’s older and dedication level must be questioned. Too bad - allot of talent and great skill set when he was younger. I thought he and Loma would have made an intriguing bout at JrLight/Lightweight five or six years ago.

Hearn is trying to lure Teo away from TR…. I think that’s why he picked up the Kambosis fight from Triller. Eddie needs a big event (for DAZN) and Haney needs an opponent. I think Lopez beats him with his punch and pressure. Would like to see it, but doubt Arum will go cross promotional with one of his marquee attractions unless he get’s something out of it. Either way, I hope Teo and his old man learn from Mikey’s career mistake and don’t let inactivity degrade a supreme young talent.

Best scrap of the weekend was Navarette/Gonzalez. I like “El Vaquero;” high octane motor and puts three shots on his opponent for every one he takes. I think he and Oscar Valdez (under VADA protocol; he popped “hot” for his last fight) at Jr Lightweight would be a barn burner….

Shakur Stevenson wasn't afraid of Jamel Herring at all. He got aggressive and pushed Herring backwards for most of 9 rounds with sharp, fast combination punches from different angles, destroying Herring's game plan of imposing his taller body on Stevenson. The bout was totally one-sided. I gave Shakur every round. The ref stopped the fight in the 9th simply because Herring wasn't competitive and was just getting beat up. Herring ...was one.

Stevenson looked like a young Floyd Mayweather - except he really didn't have the power to take Herring out. But everything else was there. he could fight from distance or inside and still dominate. Now he's got to seek out bigger names to make his reputation against.

Last edited:
Canelo Alvarez faced easily his best opponent since Golovkin in Caleb Plant. Plant was quick, durable and had a great jab he used to keep Canelo at bay in the early rounds of the fight. They mentioned that maybe the one chink in Canelo's armor was that he was not good at cutting off the ring and Plant was able to move around and give him some difficult angle to attack. Plant also used the Mayweather shoulder roll to evade some of Canelo's punches. Plant's problem was that he didn't have a lot other than his jab and Canelo finally decided he'd have to absorb those jabs and go straight in. Canelo was much the better infighter and his punches elicited an audible "thunk" when they landed. Plant's punts were silent.

Canelo used his openings to thunk Plant's body and alternated those blows with some head shots, although some of those missed, including one where the Showtime announcers said that the people in the first row felt the breeze from that one. Plant did plant a hard right in the fourth but when he looked up, Canelo was still standing there. Eventually, those 'thunks' added up and Plant's output began to fade. In the 11th round Canelo knocked Plant against the ropes, which Plant had to use to hold himself up. That's a knockdown. Canelo's a great finisher and he knocked Plant onto his back, ending the fight.

There was talk that Canelo wanted to remain in the 168 pound division, where he now holds all the belts and that his next opponent might be named Charlo. David Benavdiez was also mentioned. ESPN's article is talking about Golovkin III.

Canelo Alvarez faced easily his best opponent since Golovkin in Caleb Plant. Plant was quick, durable and had a great jab he used to keep Canelo at bay in the early rounds of the fight. They mentioned that maybe the one chink in Canelo's armor was that he was not good at cutting off the ring and Plant was able to move around and give him some difficult angle to attack. Plant also used the Mayweather shoulder roll to evade some of Canelo's punches. Plant's problem was that he didn't have a lot other than his jab and Canelo finally decided he'd have to absorb those jabs and go straight in. Canelo was much the better infighter and his punches elicited an audible "thunk" when they landed. Plant's punts were silent.

Canelo used his openings to thunk Plant's body and alternated those blows with some head shots, although some of those missed, including one where the Showtime announcers said that the people in the first row felt the breeze from that one. Plant did plant a hard right in the fourth but when he looked up, Canelo was still standing there. Eventually, those 'thunks' added up and Plant's output began to fade. In the 11th round Canelo knocked Plant against the ropes, which Plant had to use to hold himself up. That's a knockdown. Canelo's a great finisher and he knocked Plant onto his back, ending the fight.

There was talk that Canelo wanted to remain in the 168 pound division, where he now holds all the belts and that his next opponent might be named Charlo. David Benavdiez was also mentioned. ESPN's article is talking about Golovkin III.
I didn’t think Plant had enough pega to keep Canelo off. Other than an educated left jab and quick hands, Caleb is strictly a stick and move, offensively limited type. I figured once Canelo neutralized the jab (took longer than I predicted it would), he would exploit Plant’s lack of RH firepower to close distance, work the body and chop Caleb down.

IMO, played out almost exactly like the Kovalev fight. Like you identified, Plant exhibited quality footwork and defensive angling thru mid fight. But Canelo was still walking him down and thumping the body. Alvarez has that “extra gear” and intuitively senses when he can close. When Plant slowed down in the 10th, Alvarez flipped that switch in the 11th and that was it.

While 168 isn’t the strongest division, Alvarez did stop three quality, undefeated guys in about a year‘s time to collect all the belts and unify. That’s allot more than any of the other ”stars” in other divisions have done. Easily 2021 FOTY. Honestly, cannot see anyone south of 175 beating him. Benevidez would probably represent the most significant challenge at Super Middle, but (IMO), he hasn’t really earned his shot by fighting and beating a top opponent yet (like a Charlo, Andrade, Jacobs, Derevyanchenko, or even a BJS or Plant). You wanna a shot at the biggest name (and free agent) in the sport, you gotta make Alvarez‘s team want you. Then again, maybe Haymon will put up the bucks for a Benevidez or Charlo PPV on Cinco De Mayo next year (like Plant, they are PBC). If Canelo stays at 168, they are probably his best (and only) options. Maybe GGG III (DAZN wants it), but Golovkin has been hesitant to go higher than 160 and might not get past Murata on New Year’s Eve at 40 yrs of age after a year of inactivity. Personally, I’d rather see Beterbiev or Bivol at 175. Those two represent significant threats (size, strength, skill, style). Not sure Eddy Reynoso (Canelo’s manager/trainer) would go for either unless he saw something Alvarez could exploit though. Either way, allot of options when you are the king….

Some good fights on the schedule to close out the year. Looking forward to Crawford/Porter and Lopez/Kambosos at the end of the month. Nice to see two P4P’s (finally) get back in the ring with quality opposition.

Personally, I’d rather see Beterbiev or Bivol at 175. Those two represent significant threats (size, strength, skill, style). Not sure Eddy Reynoso (Canelo’s manager/trainer) would go for either unless he saw something Alvarez could exploit though.
Yeah I'm with you on both points, Beterbiev, I've been ringing that bell for a little bit, as well as knowing Reynoso almost always has had to have an exploitation to fight a certain fighter. Plant lasted a lot longer than I thought he would. When this fight was made I just considered it a step above the euro's. I love Plant's story and his blue collar work ethic/life, but he's never been a puncher and without that against Canelo, well...

I cannot believe I'm going to miss the Porter/Crawford fight, what a time to schedule a fishing trip. I'll probably be looking at this thread for info while I'm in the middle of nowhere (but do have internet).

I didn’t think Plant had enough pega to keep Canelo off. Other than an educated left jab and quick hands, Caleb is strictly a stick and move, offensively limited type. I figured once Canelo neutralized the jab (took longer than I predicted it would), he would exploit Plant’s lack of RH firepower to close distance, work the body and chop Caleb down.

IMO, played out almost exactly like the Kovalev fight. Like you identified, Plant exhibited quality footwork and defensive angling thru mid fight. But Canelo was still walking him down and thumping the body. Alvarez has that “extra gear” and intuitively senses when he can close. When Plant slowed down in the 10th, Alvarez flipped that switch in the 11th and that was it.

While 168 isn’t the strongest division, Alvarez did stop three quality, undefeated guys in about a year‘s time to collect all the belts and unify. That’s allot more than any of the other ”stars” in other divisions have done. Easily 2021 FOTY. Honestly, cannot see anyone south of 175 beating him. Benevidez would probably represent the most significant challenge at Super Middle, but (IMO), he hasn’t really earned his shot by fighting and beating a top opponent yet (like a Charlo, Andrade, Jacobs, Derevyanchenko, or even a BJS or Plant). You wanna a shot at the biggest name (and free agent) in the sport, you gotta make Alvarez‘s team want you. Then again, maybe Haymon will put up the bucks for a Benevidez or Charlo PPV on Cinco De Mayo next year (like Plant, they are PBC). If Canelo stays at 168, they are probably his best (and only) options. Maybe GGG III (DAZN wants it), but Golovkin has been hesitant to go higher than 160 and might not get past Murata on New Year’s Eve at 40 yrs of age after a year of inactivity. Personally, I’d rather see Beterbiev or Bivol at 175. Those two represent significant threats (size, strength, skill, style). Not sure Eddy Reynoso (Canelo’s manager/trainer) would go for either unless he saw something Alvarez could exploit though. Either way, allot of options when you are the king….

Some good fights on the schedule to close out the year. Looking forward to Crawford/Porter and Lopez/Kambosos at the end of the month. Nice to see two P4P’s (finally) get back in the ring with quality opposition.

Interesting that the pound for pound #1's manager steers him toward fighters who had weaknesses Canelo could exploit. But I guess that's just good management. He's going to do what's best for his fighter, not what the fans might want.

Crawford-Porter will be great. Sean turns everyone, even Spence into a matador, trying to find a way to hold him off. But Crawford may be the ultimate matador.

After the dust had settled on the football day, I watched two great action fights. I had David Benavidez vs. Kyrone Davis on the TV through Showtime and Jaime Munguia vs. Gabriel Rosado streaming on my computer through DAZN. the fights were similar in that a young prospect with a glittering record was taking on a veteran fighter who had been in with some of the best in the division. In both cases the young prospect won but the veteran fighter gave him all he could want.

24 year old, 6-0 1/2 Benavidez, (25-0, 22-0 KOs) towered over the 5-10 Davis, (16-2-1, 6-1 KOs) (the height gap seemed bigger than that) but Davis was aggressive at the beginning and feisty at the end. Every time Benavidez seemed to have him in trouble, Davis would respond with a flurry. He couldn't hurt the bigger man but he made him know he was in a fight. But the damage accumulated and Davis' corner told him that he had to do more than rope-a-dope and counter punch or the fight would be stopped. They finally threw in the towel in the 9th round. Benavidez had a big advantage in reach and power but couldn't take Davis out. Benavidez took to dropping his arms and daring Davis to come after him. I'm not sure how well that would go over against a better opponent. It was not a dazzling performance, even though it turned out to be effective enough.

25 year old Munguia (38-0, 30-0 KOs), had blown away most of his opponents but he couldn't blow away Gabe Rosado (26-13-1, 15-4 KOs), who was of a similar size but more muscular with much better tattoos. He, too tried to counter-punch and it appeared he punched harder than Munguia but less often and the broadcasters wondered why he didn't go to the body more. Munguia has a nice jab and can throw extended combinations with excellent speed. he really went after Rosado but never seemed to hurt him so he just piled up the points, enough to win in a virtual shut-out. But Rosado had plenty of moments, turning Jaime's head with several shots and wrestling him to ground once. But he couldn't handle the volume of punches.

Benevidez didn't strike me as a likely champion, (in the sense of being the best fighter in the division, (he's a super-middle). of course, everybody ahs some kind of title these days. Munguia seems a better fighter but the inability to get Rosado out of these is a concern. he was a big knockout guy against lesser fighters but his future isn't against lesser fighters. I actually think that what won him the fight: throwing a high volume of punches, prevented him from getting his full weight behind them and thus prevented the knock-out.

I had David Benavidez vs. Kyrone Davis on the TV through Showtime and Jaime Munguia vs. Gabriel Rosado streaming on my computer through DAZN.
I did the exact same thing to watch both fights. I've been wanting to see Benavidez vs Canelo for a while now, but after that fight, maybe he's not quite ready. Like JAX was saying, maybe Beterbiev or Bivol at the higher weight to challenge Canelo. Anyways, Davis was game, a way more prepared opponent than the Benavidez camp was suspecting I think . Freddy Roach seemed to have Rosado prepared well for his fight.

Well I'll look forward to hearing your takes on this weekend, not only will I miss the Porter v Crawford, but also the SU game.

The Crawford-Porter was a great fight, although more of a strategic fight than I expected. Porter is always the bull and the other guy, (even Errol Spence) becomes the matador. And this fight was like that at times but Porter seemed reticent about pressuring Crawford in the early rounds. Crawford is the larger man in terms of height and reach and moved side to side to get good angles to pile up the points. he went to Porter's body a lot and used his left hand effectively. Porter would pick his spots to lunge at Crawford. he's the only fighter I've ever seen who could lunge and throw a combination at the same time. But his hands were accurate and quick and he got in some good shots.

But Porter became Porter in the 5th, getting more aggressive, forcing Crawford to cover up and wrestling with him. But Crawford kept digging to the body with the left hand and started double-hooking to the body and then the head. He wasn't dominated in the infighting.

I had Crawford ahead 87-84 going into the 10th round. I've seen several Porter fights and Shawn is an absolute tank. he can be out-pointed but I didn't think he could ever be knocked out, at least not by a welterweight. But Crawford caught Porter with a perfect left hand and knocked him on his fanny, then followed that up with a great wright the knocked him on his face. Even at that point, Porter seemed more frustrated than dazed. He slammed his fist on the canvas and got back up.

But his father/trainer had climbed onto the ring apron and asked for the fight to stop. Then he gave a weird interview after the fight saying that he wanted the fight stopped because he didn't like the way his son trained. I guess he meant that he didn't think Shawn would have the stamina to comeback from the knockdowns. His son is a fine fighter who isn't quire as good as the great fighters.

There was a lengthy discussion about where Crawford ranks pound-for-pound. Two other names came up: Canelo Alvarez and Inoue. They didn't place Inoue but said that Canelo has accomplished more but that Crawford was the most talented fighter out there. I agree. Crawford wants Spence next but said he might go up to 154 if he doesn't get that fight. But It's hard to imagine that Crawford would ever wind up fighting Canelo to resolve the matter. Canelo is just too much heavier to make that fight, although Bud is 1/2 inch taller and has 4 inch more in reach.

The Crawford-Porter was a great fight, although more of a strategic fight than I expected. Porter is always the bull and the other guy, (even Errol Spence) becomes the matador. And this fight was like that at times but Porter seemed reticent about pressuring Crawford in the early rounds. Crawford is the larger man in terms of height and reach and moved side to side to get good angles to pile up the points. he went to Porter's body a lot and used his left hand effectively. Porter would pick his spots to lunge at Crawford. he's the only fighter I've ever seen who could lunge and throw a combination at the same time. But his hands were accurate and quick and he got in some good shots.

But Porter became Porter in the 5th, getting more aggressive, forcing Crawford to cover up and wrestling with him. But Crawford kept digging to the body with the left hand and started double-hooking to the body and then the head. He wasn't dominated in the infighting.

I had Crawford ahead 87-84 going into the 10th round. I've seen several Porter fights and Shawn is an absolute tank. he can be out-pointed but I didn't think he could ever be knocked out, at least not by a welterweight. But Crawford caught Porter with a perfect left hand and knocked him on his fanny, then followed that up with a great wright the knocked him on his face. Even at that point, Porter seemed more frustrated than dazed. He slammed his fist on the canvas and got back up.

But his father/trainer had climbed onto the ring apron and asked for the fight to stop. Then he gave a weird interview after the fight saying that he wanted the fight stopped because he didn't like the way his son trained. I guess he meant that he didn't think Shawn would have the stamina to comeback from the knockdowns. His son is a fine fighter who isn't quire as good as the great fighters.

There was a lengthy discussion about where Crawford ranks pound-for-pound. Two other names came up: Canelo Alvarez and Inoue. They didn't place Inoue but said that Canelo has accomplished more but that Crawford was the most talented fighter out there. I agree. Crawford wants Spence next but said he might go up to 154 if he doesn't get that fight. But It's hard to imagine that Crawford would ever wind up fighting Canelo to resolve the matter. Canelo is just too much heavier to make that fight, although Bud is 1/2 inch taller and has 4 inch more in reach.
Rough weekend for my sports picks. Football and basketball teams got stomped, Porter couldn’t get over the hump (although rooting more with my heart than head).

Good, high level action fight. Had Bud up a point before the 10th. Although, as you stated, Porter didn’t come out full bore aggressive during the first few rounds. Interestingly, I thought he won the early stanza’s and forced Crawford to change his game plan initially (switch up from Southpaw to Conventional). Porter’s RH was a problem for Crawford early on.

Ultimately, Bud proved to be physically stronger down the stretch and his mid-rd body attack really seemed to slow Shawn down by the 9th. Crawford timed Porter‘s rushes well from 6-8 with the LH underneath. Shawn’s balance and base began to deteriorate (same thing happened against Spence, although not as pronounced). Crawford (like Canelo two weeks ago) really seemed to sense that his opponent was weakening and turned on the gas in the 10th. Porter wasn’t hurt as much as he was gassed. Think his old man in the corner recognized that and called it off before Shawn took a real “leather shampoo…”

It will be interesting to see where Crawford goes from here. Contract with TR is up. Only way to get Spence is to sell out to PBC. He’ll lose “A-Side” leverage, but probably only way to clean up the division. Or tries to go “independent” like Canelo (some risk there at his age). Who knows - I just hope he stays active and fights more often in the future. And happy retirement to Porter. A very good (but not elite) fighter who gave everyone a rough night. Best to him in the broadcast booth and in the future.

Rough weekend for my sports picks. Football and basketball teams got stomped, Porter couldn’t get over the hump (although rooting more with my heart than head).

Good, high level action fight. Had Bud up a point before the 10th. Although, as you stated, Porter didn’t come out full bore aggressive during the first few rounds. Interestingly, I thought he won the early stanza’s and forced Crawford to change his game plan initially (switch up from Southpaw to Conventional). Porter’s RH was a problem for Crawford early on.

Ultimately, Bud proved to be physically stronger down the stretch and his mid-rd body attack really seemed to slow Shawn down by the 9th. Crawford timed Porter‘s rushes well from 6-8 with the LH underneath. Shawn’s balance and base began to deteriorate (same thing happened against Spence, although not as pronounced). Crawford (like Canelo two weeks ago) really seemed to sense that his opponent was weakening and turned on the gas in the 10th. Porter wasn’t hurt as much as he was gassed. Think his old man in the corner recognized that and called it off before Shawn took a real “leather shampoo…”

It will be interesting to see where Crawford goes from here. Contract with TR is up. Only way to get Spence is to sell out to PBC. He’ll lose “A-Side” leverage, but probably only way to clean up the division. Or tries to go “independent” like Canelo (some risk there at his age). Who knows - I just hope he stays active and fights more often in the future. And happy retirement to Porter. A very good (but not elite) fighter who gave everyone a rough night. Best to him in the broadcast booth and in the future.

Considering that Canelo once fought Mayweather and Crawford is talking about moving up to 154 pounds, is there any possibility of Crawford fighting Canelo at some point or has Canelo grown beyond that?

Considering that Canelo once fought Mayweather and Crawford is talking about moving up to 154 pounds, is there any possibility of Crawford fighting Canelo at some point or has Canelo grown beyond that?
Just my opinion - biggest fight in boxing is Crawford / Spence at 147. Unfortunately, I’m afraid promotional politics will probably prevent us from seeing it during 2022…. Let’s face it - neither have an opponent below 160 that generates fan interest, revenue or solidifies historical legacy. I’ll go one step further - if they don’t meet soon (both in relative primes), it will tarnish their reputation(s) as the elite successor to Floyd…. Big career asterisk if they never fight.

If memory serves, Mayweather fought Canelo at a contract catchweight of 152. I don’t think Alvarez will ever fight below 168 again. Much bigger jump for Crawford than Floyd. But, SRL made a comparative 20 lb leap (Lalonde), so did Duran (Barkley), so did Tommy Hearns (Virgil Hill)…. So, I guess not impossible. I don’t think the promotional politics work unless Crawford becomes a “free agent” (like Canelo) and willingly submits to the “B” side contract (purse) particulars necessary to draw a PPV medium (like DAZN maybe). Which he can now do with Spence (PBC) if he really wants to.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Bottom line - I don’t think we’ll ever see Bud/Canelo (weight, promotional financials). I think we’re more likely to see Crawford sign with Haymon, jump to Jr Mid and fight Charlo, or stay at 147 and fight Davis, then (finally) meet Spence in 23. More options for Crawford with PBC (at 147 and 154) than with Uncle Bob….

The Lopez-Kambosis fight had just ended when I got home from the SU game. I re-watched it today and here are my observations.

Lopez became one of the top stars in boxing with his single-minded pursuit of Vasiliy Lomachenko' crown and reputation as the best pound-for-pound fighter. he achieved that by winning a decision over Loma 13 months ago. He'd been inactive since while Australia's George Kambosos started his own single-minded pursuit of Lopez. Lopez refused to give Loma a rematch because "everybody [in Lomachenko’s camp] was being a dick to me" and didn't want to fight Kambosos because he wanted bigger money fights: this was a mandatory defense. he was out-growing the division and it was tougher to make the lightweight limit. He had an attack of Covid that postponed the fight but more importantly, he had no respect for his opponent and predicted a first-round knockout.

This caused Lopez to fight as if his next punch was going to end it. he didn't jab enough to se tit up and that also left him open for counter-shots. He hit Kambosos with at least four right hands in the first round and Kambosos was still standing there. George timed Lopez's shots and hit him flush with a counter-shot that knocked him down. it was like when Rockey decked Apollo Creed in the first film. Lopez's father gave him contradictory instructions in his corner: "Calm down, take your time" and "finish him. already". Lopez had a confused look on his face for much of the fight.

Kambosos retreated, counter-punching along with a stiff jab and showing some lateral movement while Lopez walked after him, using his own jab less and less. Eventually Kambosos got braver and stopped retreating, resulting in several powerful exchanges. But both men could take a punch, although Lopex rolled his eyes and seemed unsteady as he went back to his corner after the fourth round. Kambosos piled up the points, (I gave him four rounds in a row at one point).

Lopez finally started to connect in the 9th round and then downed Kambosos with a double right hand. George took much more punishment in this round than Lopez did in the first, even though both had to be 10-8 rounds in the scoring. Everyone expected that Lopez would seal the deal in the 11th - but he didn't. Maybe the impact of not having fought in 13 months or the struggle to make the weight impacted him, but Teo seemed to lose energy all at once. Kambosos survived and was rallying strongly by the end of the round. Lopez, clearly behind, was a bit more energetic in the 12th but George still had more left than he did.

I graded it 116-111 for Kambosos, who I gave 8 rounds to 3 with one even. Two judges had it 115-111 and 115-112. the other one somehow found ti for Lopez 114-113 and Lopez acted as if he had been robbed. I think he robbed himself. he could get the rematch he denied Lomachenko but I think his future is to move up for some big-money fights among the welterweights. the color man suggested that he'd gain 10-12 pounds after the weigh-in for this one. What he needs to gain is some humility and his old determination. Fights are won in the real world, not the one you imagine.

The Lopez-Kambosis fight had just ended when I got home from the SU game. I re-watched it today and here are my observations.

Lopez became one of the top stars in boxing with his single-minded pursuit of Vasiliy Lomachenko' crown and reputation as the best pound-for-pound fighter. he achieved that by winning a decision over Loma 13 months ago. He'd been inactive since while Australia's George Kambosos started his own single-minded pursuit of Lopez. Lopez refused to give Loma a rematch because "everybody [in Lomachenko’s camp] was being a dick to me" and didn't want to fight Kambosos because he wanted bigger money fights: this was a mandatory defense. he was out-growing the division and it was tougher to make the lightweight limit. He had an attack of Covid that postponed the fight but more importantly, he had no respect for his opponent and predicted a first-round knockout.

This caused Lopez to fight as if his next punch was going to end it. he didn't jab enough to se tit up and that also left him open for counter-shots. He hit Kambosos with at least four right hands in the first round and Kambosos was still standing there. George timed Lopez's shots and hit him flush with a counter-shot that knocked him down. it was like when Rockey decked Apollo Creed in the first film. Lopez's father gave him contradictory instructions in his corner: "Calm down, take your time" and "finish him. already". Lopez had a confused look on his face for much of the fight.

Kambosos retreated, counter-punching along with a stiff jab and showing some lateral movement while Lopez walked after him, using his own jab less and less. Eventually Kambosos got braver and stopped retreating, resulting in several powerful exchanges. But both men could take a punch, although Lopex rolled his eyes and seemed unsteady as he went back to his corner after the fourth round. Kambosos piled up the points, (I gave him four rounds in a row at one point).

Lopez finally started to connect in the 9th round and then downed Kambosos with a double right hand. George took much more punishment in this round than Lopez did in the first, even though both had to be 10-8 rounds in the scoring. Everyone expected that Lopez would seal the deal in the 11th - but he didn't. Maybe the impact of not having fought in 13 months or the struggle to make the weight impacted him, but Teo seemed to lose energy all at once. Kambosos survived and was rallying strongly by the end of the round. Lopez, clearly behind, was a bit more energetic in the 12th but George still had more left than he did.

I graded it 116-111 for Kambosos, who I gave 8 rounds to 3 with one even. Two judges had it 115-111 and 115-112. the other one somehow found ti for Lopez 114-113 and Lopez acted as if he had been robbed. I think he robbed himself. he could get the rematch he denied Lomachenko but I think his future is to move up for some big-money fights among the welterweights. the color man suggested that he'd gain 10-12 pounds after the weigh-in for this one. What he needs to gain is some humility and his old determination. Fights are won in the real world, not the one you imagine.
Like you, I didn’t get a chance to watch the tape until last night (saw the result earlier).
Also agree with your analysis of Lopez’s poor preparation and fight strategy. Combined with extended (self-induced) inactivity, Teo allowed Kambosis to outwork and outfight him during significant stretches of the bout. A complete 180 from the Loma victory, where Lopez had an excellent game plan that used distance, length/spacing, angles and power to control the contest. Teo might need to hire an experienced pro trainer and get Daddy some help in the corner…. Less lip with more focused gym work was needed for this fight.

To give Kambosis credit, he had a solid fight strategy (counterpunch) with the physical tools to execute. Think his punches hurt Lopez during key moments and Teo couldn’t/wouldn’t adjust. I think the scoring was fair and he won the fight. Showed toughness and the extra gear following the knockdown in the 10th.

IMO, Lopez camp now (promotionally) reaps what they sowed. Promotional free agency (and inactivity) in today’s boxing landscape is risky. Championships are not won/retained with your mouth or in social media. Lost all the belts to Kambosis (DAZN) and still owes TR a fight or two. Probably needs to fight (and beat) Loma again at 135 or move up to fight (and beat) Taylor at Jr Welt before trying the independent route again. Hearn is happy because he can now line up Haney against Kambosis for Lightweight supremacy. I hope Lopez (whom I think is supremely talented) goes back to the gym and reestablishes himself (often) in the ring against all comers. Gonna have to earn it again with his fists and not the “WWE style” rhetoric.

Just watched (most of) the Devin-Haney - Jo Jo Diaz fight. Due to some glitch it skipped the 7th and 8th rounds, which seem to have bene good for Diaz. I also gave him 4rh. there were no knockdowns of rounds dominated by either fighter to the point of a 10-8 round. Two judges and DAZN's expert had it 117-111 and the other judge had it 116-112 for Haney so I'll go with 117-111.

Haney was very steady, jabbing constantly to set up right hands to the head and body that connected with audible thuds. Diaz got in some occasional shots put Haney on the defensive for a bit. Neither fighter ever really hurt the other. Haney was the busier guy and I think that won him the fight. Diaz was a veteran and former champ who had never been down so it wasn't surprising that Haney couldn't take him out, despite landing a lot of very direct and compact fight hands. Haney won because he was consistently good while Diaz was occasionally good. Neither looked like they needed to be practicing their speech for Canastota. they'll be treading water in boxing's most crowded division.

Just watched (most of) the Devin-Haney - Jo Jo Diaz fight. Due to some glitch it skipped the 7th and 8th rounds, which seem to have bene good for Diaz. I also gave him 4rh. there were no knockdowns of rounds dominated by either fighter to the point of a 10-8 round. Two judges and DAZN's expert had it 117-111 and the other judge had it 116-112 for Haney so I'll go with 117-111.

Haney was very steady, jabbing constantly to set up right hands to the head and body that connected with audible thuds. Diaz got in some occasional shots put Haney on the defensive for a bit. Neither fighter ever really hurt the other. Haney was the busier guy and I think that won him the fight. Diaz was a veteran and former champ who had never been down so it wasn't surprising that Haney couldn't take him out, despite landing a lot of very direct and compact fight hands. Haney won because he was consistently good while Diaz was occasionally good. Neither looked like they needed to be practicing their speech for Canastota. they'll be treading water in boxing's most crowded division.
Solid tactical fight. Not fight of the year, but entertaining. I agree - While Diaz had a few moments, Haney was consistently better with superior physical tools. I thought Jo Jo wasted too much effort trying to time the much faster Haney at distance (like Linares) rather than take him into the proverbial “phone booth” earlier in the fight. No feints or jabbing to consistently pressure and close the pocket. Diaz fought the final rd the way he should have fought the entire fight IMO. I like Haney, he has hand speed, reflexes and a nice jab. But, I think his punch output is basic (lacks variety and power necessary to break down and stop quality opponents) and seems susceptible to a LH (relies on the shoulder roll, shades the RH when he throws an uppercut). Could cause problems against bigger punchers or elite opponents.

Haney‘s career fortunes have turned favorable. Appeared shutout (promotionally) from the titles and big name fight opportunities at 135. Then George Kambosos changed everything last weekend. I predict Haney challenges the new champion for all the belts next year. Hearn’s decision to buy out Teo Lopez’s Triller contract seems to have worked out well for DAZN.

Watched Gervonte 'Tank' Davis vs. Isaac (they pronounced it 'E-sock') Cruz fight. it came advertised as a battle of knock-out artists but i decided to score it anyway and that was a good thing because it went the distance and there were no knockdowns, although there were several slips and a bit of wrestling. It was Cruz who was the 'tank' in this one, putting his hands to his head, crouching down and burrowing in while Davis, who needs a better nickname, showed the full range of his talents with lateral movement, a decent jab, some straight left hands and upper-cuts.

It was Davis' first fight against a shorter fighter and it was like a bear fighting a badger as the feisty Cruz refused to be detoured by Davis's flashy movements and combination. Davis seemed surprised by his opponent's aggressiveness and was unable to get his respect in the first round. In the second, Davis held his ground more and got Cruz to back off a bit but he wasn't going to win the fight that way so Cruz resumed his assault, blocking many punches but taking many as well. he wanted to get to Davis' body and late in the fight he was credited with landing 38 body punches.

Cruz kept bending over and in the 6th Davis, who was by my card winning his fifth round in a row, hurt his left hand. He used it less and less as the fight went on. and stopped using it altogether at the end of the fight. At the same time those body punches added up and Davis was moving less. That allowed Cruz to score a lot more and he came on strong in the second half of the fight. Davis was doing more and more retreating as his lead shrunk.

Then he showed his brilliance as a fighter, winning the 12 and final round strictly with his right had, pumping the jab, throwing occasional hooks and resuming his movements to avoid Cruz' attack. That clinched the fight for him. I and one judge had it 116-112 but the other two judges had it 115-113. Davis was asked afterwards if he wanted a rematch. he laughed and said "Hell, no!" He's now 26-0 with 24 knockouts. Here's hoping that 2022 will feature some knock-off fights for these younger guys who still have their goose-eggs. Having watched Haney and Davis in successive fights, I was much more impressed with Davis and think he will be one of the top fighters of his generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom