Boxing | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

I tired keeping track of the Jermell Charlo Brian Castano rematch while also checking in with my Mets, who lost a 4-0 lead only to win it on a home run by the catcher they just called up to replace McCann.

Carlo an Castano had had a hugely competitive fight last year that produced widely varied scoring and a ‘split draw’, (each fighter won one judge’s card and the other was even). That was a great action fight and so was this one. Charlo had prepared for it by getting a defensive expert to help train him, (I didn’t get the name). He exhibited great footwork that prevented him from being trapped against the ropes, good head movement and a great jab to dominate the early rounds. But Castano is indefatigable and possessed of a cranium seemingly made of cement, (which is not a deficit for a boxer). He absorbed numerous punches that would have ended other Charlo fights and kept coming forward. And he could slug, too and he started to narrow the distance between he and Charlo, whose footwork, head movement and jabs slowed down. Halfway through the fight it looked like Castano was taking control. Charlo responded by trying slug it out and both fighters got plenty of whacks in, Charlo planting himself in front of the rope in full hitting position and countering well. But Castano seemed to have the edge in their exchanges.

Then in the 7th, Charlo’s corner got through to him and the footwork and jab returned and he dominated the rest of the fight from the middle of the ring. Still, Castano ate all the leather that came his way and was remarkably unmarked by all the punches that landed, (so was Charlo). The fight seemed obviously headed for a decision. I had Charlo ahead 88-83 after the 9th round. Steve Farhood had it 87-74. The judges had it 89-82, 88-83 and 87-84.

Boxing is a funny business, (funny strange, not funny hilarious). Punches from all angles reign over the faces and body of each competitor. Castano landed 194 of them to Charlo’s 173. But both of them were still there on their feet after each punch landed, ready to respond in kind – until a short left hook by Charlo actually bounced off of Castano’s right glove and moved on to hit him around the nose. Castano stiffened up and collapsed like a demolished building. He was able to get up but staggered backwards. The ref grabbed his hands and looked into his eyes and made the mistake of allowing the fight to continue. Charlo unloaded on the helpless Castano and he went down, ironically against the ropes. The ref then stopped it.

Charlo said after the fight that he didn’t know what his next step would be. Will it be Canelo? GGG? Spence? Somebody else? Stay tuned.
Good fight for a unified divisional title. First six rounds were really good. IMO, 5th rd was as exciting as any I’ve watched this year so far.

When Charlo jabs, he is very good (Rds 1-3). When he doesn’t (rds 4-6), he get’s hit and can be vulnerable. IMO, that’s both brothers in a nut shell.

To Jermell’s credit, he seems to fight better in rematches (Harrison and this one). KO’d both opponents the second time around when many/most believe he lost the initial bout. Was in better shape this time. In my estimation, that is the mark of an excellent pro fighter. Goes back to the gym, absorbs what he learned, improves and beats the guy the next time. Ali and Robinson built their legacies (in part) that way.

I agree - think Castano slowed down from the 7th on. Stayed center of ring and lost pocket distance. Less effective cutting off the ring, no body work and failed to jab his way inside (Canelo made same mistake/had same problem last weekend). Let Charlo load up the LH. Finisher was a pretty shot.

I bet PBC lines Tzyu the younger up for Charlo next. Just gut. Easier fight to make since both are now with same promoter.

I’m interested to see who Haymon matches Ennis with next at Welterweight. Time for him to stop fighting tomato cans (like he did again tonight on the undercard). Hope Thurman (or maybe a Danny Garcia) takes the challenge. Would be a better test/showcase for the youngster.

I don’t see anything really compelling on the fight schedule until after Memorial Day. Kambosos/Haney on 4 June - first real Lightweight “Knock-Off” among the young undefeated 135 lbers. Saw that Bam Rodriguez was signed to defend his SuperFly belt against Sor Rungvisai on 25 June. Sor Rungvisai owns two victories over Choclatito Gonzalez (one by brutal KO). Tough matchup for the young Rodriguez. I give him credit for taking it.

Just gut again, but sensing (based on what fighters are saying and what I’m reading) that Spence/Crawford will sign and fight by end of the year. We can only hope…

Watched some boxing tonight on ESPN and Showtime while checking up on the Mets, the basketball and hockey, as well as SNL. I didn't bother trying to score anything.

It was mostly about the middleweight, (and the junior and super-middleweights). Janibek Alimkhanuly, from Kazakhstan crush Brit Danny Dignum, (who didn't dig it), in two rounds. Dignum went down from an uppercut and stayed down for several minutes. In the most lauded fight, David Benevedes (25-0 with 22 knockouts, age 25) beat up 34-year-old David Lemieux (43-4, 36-2 in knockouts) in the super division. The younger David was much taller and kept the older David at distance with his jab and followed it up with power shots. He very nearly knocked out Lemieux at the end of round one but the bell rescued the Canadian, who was staggering around. Lemieux did go down in the second round but also fought back, burrowing in and getting some good shots in on the inside. But Benevides also blocked a lot of his shots and kept his attack going. Lemieux was looking the worse for wear and his corner threw in the towel in round 3. Lemieux was still combative but didn't complain. he now has to consider retirement while Benevides might be a future opponent for Canelo Alvarez if he returns to the division, although with his size, Benevides may wind up a light heavyweight.

the best fight of the night was a battle of undefeated featherweights, Luis Reynaldo Nunez vs. Jonathan Javier Fierro. Nunes used his more direct punches and effective count er shots to win a 96-94 decision on all cards but Fierro rocked him with some looping shots in the fifth round. Yoelvis Gomez beat another veteran, Jorge Cota, who faded late. Both are junior middleweights. 36 year old Jamel Herring, who lost his junior lightweight title to Shakur Stevenson last year, lost again to young Jamaine Ortiz and seemed to be starring retirement in the face in his post fight interview.

Last edited:
Watched some boxing tonight on ESPN and Showtime while checking up on the Mets, the basketball and hockey, as well as SNL. I didn't bother trying to score anything.

it was mostly about the Middleweight, (and the Super0-middlewights). Janibek Alimkhanuly, from Kazakhstan crush Brit Danny Dignum, (who didn't dig it), in two rounds. Dignum went down from an uppercut and stayed down for several minutes. In the most lauded fight, David Benevedes (25-0 with 22 knockouts, age 25) beat up 34-year-old David Lemieux (43-4, 36-2 in knockouts) in the super division. The younger David was much taller and kept the older David at distance with his jab and followed it up with power shots. He very nearly knocked out Lemieux at the end of round one but the bell rescued the Canadian, who was staggering around. Lemieux did go down in the second round but also fought back, burrowing in and getting some good shots in on the inside. But Benevides also blocked a lot of his shots and kept his attack going. Lemieux was looking the worse for wear and his corner threw in the towel in round 3. Lemieux was still combative but didn't complain. he now has to consider retirement while Benevides might be a future opponent for Canelo Alvarez if he returns to the division, although with his size, Benevides may wind up a light heavyweight.

the best fight of the night was a battle of undefeated featherweights, Luis Reynaldo Nunez vs. Jonathan Javier Fierro. Nunes used his more direct punches and effective count er shots to win a 96-94 decision on all cards but Fierro rocked him with some looping shots in the fifth round. Yoelvis Gomez beat another veteran, Jorge Cota, who faded late. Both are junior middleweights. 36 year old Jamel Herring, who lost his junior lightweight title to Shakur Stevenson last year, lost again to young Jamaine Ortiz and seemed to be starring retirement in the face in his post fight interview.
Not a great night of TV network boxing….. And on the 20th Anniversary (weekend) of Gatti/Ward 1. IMO, DAZN card (Richards/Buatsi) was best of the day.

Guys that were supposed to “look good” were matched accordingly. Both promotional stables (TR and PBC). Lemieux is shop-worn, was there for the payday and naturally a smaller guy. Applaud his guts and effort, but he was in there for a reason. I like Benevidez (even though he’s missed weight and popped for coke after a couple of fights) but he hasn’t fought anyone remotely threatening (yet). He’s part of the “PBC system;” - market and showcase the talent/personality thru careful matchups. Continues next weekend with Tank Davis/Romero. IMO, mismatches and showcase fights for the “A side guys” wouldn’t be (so) distasteful if they fought more than once or twice per year….

I’d like to see Benevidez take on the bigger Charlo or maybe Plant (both same stable and weight). I’d favor David over both, but better opposition/more competitive matchups for us boxing fans. Winner(s) become Canelo’s mandatory at 168. All makes sense (to me) so means it probably won’t happen…..

On a positive note, I heard Crawford “leaked” that a venue (MGM Vegas) was already agreed to for the proposed matchup with Spence. I remain hopeful that we’ll see the two best Welters in the ring by year’s end.

I wasn't sure I'd fork up the money for the Gervonta Davis- Rolando Romero fight, which they put on pay-per view rather than regular Showtime. I could always watch a replay. I'm waiting for the big confrontations in the lightweight division, and this didn't seem like one of them. But I did some research and found that both of these guys were unbeaten with combined records of 40-0 with 36 knockouts and it was a grudge match, (or at least they hyped it up into one), with predictions of first round knockouts, including and advertised prop bet of $5,000 for a knockout occurring in the first 50 seconds. I'm not a betting man but I thought I should see this live.

Before it came on, I watched Erislandy Lara dispatch one Gary O'Sullivan, who had a splendid moustache but no defense. Lara, a veteran middleweight who I saw upset Jarrett Hurd back in 2018, hit O'Sullivan with straight shot after straight shot, often staggering him. O'Sullivan went down once and I thought the fight was over but the bell had sounded and he was able to get up and get some rest and attention. later he was again staggered at the bell for the 7th round, expressed a lack of enthusiasm for the 8th round and when he was against staggered and retreated to the ropes, the refs stopped it. I had a friend who did some collegiate boxing once and gave up on the sport due a distaste for the feel sound when he hit someone's head with a good shot. "It was like punching a head of cabbage". That's what Lara's shots sounded like as the intersected with O'Sullivan's nogging. Still, he left the ring on his feet, moustache and pride in tact.

Romero was bigger and looked heavier and more muscular than Davis. He came out first and stomped around the ring, glaring at it as if to say "This is mine - I own it!". Davis was quiet and seemed concerned with the challenge. Both fighters respected each other's power so much that it became a strategical fight, not the pier six brawl the hype suggested. They both seemed to be waiting to counter each other, Romero reach out with a range-finder jab, (which seemed aimed at Davis' right glove) and Davis floating like a butterfly but not stinging like a bee. At the end of the round Davis shouted at Romero, something about how he didn't get the first round knockout he'd been predicting.

Both men were looking to get in the one shot that could win the fight, or at least turn it in their direction. Davis seemed to be having trouble with Romero's reach while Romeo had trouble finding Davis. But he did land a couple of looping left hooks in the second round and roughly threw Davis to the ground after one of them. It was not a knockdown but it made Davis even more cautious and may have even injured him as a few rounds later he tried to throw his left but winced in pain, (they never asked him after the fight if he was hurt).

The fight continued with Davis moving in and out and sideways, looking for an angle and Romero, from an erect stance, trying to set something up off the jab. there were no combinations. Both were waiting for the other to make a mistake and run into a punch and that's what happened. I thought Davis might have been more vulnerable to this as one of his defensive maneuvers was to duck under Romero's punches. But it was Romero who, near the end of the 6th round, lunged too far forward to deliver a blow and got a counter left, (which Davis said he didn't even throw all that hard), hit him right in the schnozz. he stiffened up and fell face first against the ropes, which spun him over. he was able to get up but didn't seem to know what was going on and his legs were spaghetti so the ref stopped it. It looked exactly like the ending of the last Marquez-Pacquiao fight except that Manny hit the floor face-first and was out cold. Romero was helped to the dressing room by his father but still didn't seem to know quite what had happened.

Davis said that he wants nothing but big money fights from now on. Names like Kambosis, Haney, Garcia and Lomachenko were mentions. (Where is Teo Lopez?). He might want to avoid taller fighters. Davis also made the mistake of describing himself as "a glock with no safety". Jim Gray tried to school him a bit on public relations. Davis certainly holds one title: he looked like the most tatooed man I've ever seen.

I wasn't sure I'd fork up the money for the Gervonta Davis- Rolando Romero fight, which they put on pay-per view rather than regular Showtime. I could always watch a replay. I'm waiting for the big confrontations in the lightweight division, and this didn't seem like one of them. But I did some research and found that both of these guys were unbeaten with combined records of 40-0 with 36 knockouts and it was a grudge match, (or at least they hyped it up into one), with predictions of first round knockouts, including and advertised prop bet of $5,000 for a knockout occurring in the first 50 seconds. I'm not a betting man but I thought I should see this live.

Before it came on, I watched Erislandy Lara dispatch one Gary O'Sullivan, who had a splendid moustache but no defense. Lara, a veteran middleweight who I saw upset Jarrett Hurd back in 2018, hit O'Sullivan with straight shot after straight shot, often staggering him. O'Sullivan went down once and I thought the fight was over but the bell had sounded and he was able to get up and get some rest and attention. later he was again staggered at the bell for the 7th round, expressed a lack of enthusiasm for the 8th round and when he was against staggered and retreated to the ropes, the refs stopped it. I had a friend who did some collegiate boxing once and gave up on the sport due a distaste for the feel sound when he hit someone's head with a good shot. "It was like punching a head of cabbage". That's what Lara's shots sounded like as the intersected with O'Sullivan's nogging. Still, he left the ring on his feet, moustache and pride in tact.

Romero was bigger and looked heavier and more muscular than Davis. He came out first and stomped around the ring, glaring at it as if to say "This is mine - I own it!". Davis was quiet and seemed concerned with the challenge. Both fighters respected each other's power so much that it became a strategical fight, not the pier six brawl the hype suggested. They both seemed to be waiting to counter each other, Romero reach out with a range-finder jab, (which seemed aimed at Davis' right glove) and Davis floating like a butterfly but not stinging like a bee. At the end of the round Davis shouted at Romero, something about how he didn't get the first round knockout he'd been predicting.

Both men were looking to get in the one shot that could win the fight, or at least turn it in their direction. Davis seemed to be having trouble with Romero's reach while Romeo had trouble finding Davis. But he did land a couple of looping left hooks in the second round and roughly threw Davis to the ground after one of them. It was not a knockdown but it made Davis even more cautious and may have even injured him as a few rounds later he tried to throw his left but winced in pain, (they never asked him after the fight if he was hurt).

The fight continued with Davis moving in and out and sideways, looking for an angle and Romero, from an erect stance, trying to set something up off the jab. there were no combinations. Both were waiting for the other to make a mistake and run into a punch and that's what happened. I thought Davis might have been more vulnerable to this as one of his defensive maneuvers was to duck under Romero's punches. But it was Romero who, near the end of the 6th round, lunged too far forward to deliver a blow and got a counter left, (which Davis said he didn't even throw all that hard), hit him right in the schnozz. he stiffened up and fell face first against the ropes, which spun him over. he was able to get up but didn't seem to know what was going on and his legs were spaghetti so the ref stopped it. It looked exactly like the ending of the last Marquez-Pacquiao fight except that Manny hit the floor face-first and was out cold. Romero was helped to the dressing room by his father but still didn't seem to know quite what had happened.

Davis said that he wants nothing but big money fights from now on. Names like Kambosis, Haney, Garcia and Lomachenko were mentions. (Where is Teo Lopez?). He might want to avoid taller fighters. Davis also made the mistake of describing himself as "a glock with no safety". Jim Gray tried to school him a bit on public relations. Davis certainly holds one title: he looked like the most tatooed man I've ever seen.
Haymon (PBC) is shameless. $75 PPV for that card - Lol. I would not pay to watch these matchups nor this level of competition. Neither would my local bar, which did not carry it. Don’t think the Leonard Ellerbie (Mayweather Promotions) business model is gonna work for Tank Davis in the future. Maybe that’s why (rumor) Davis is leaving the group after this fight (contract is over).

Just finished watching a replay pirate feed on the web. Confirmed (in spades) why I chose not to buy it….

Watching Lara fight flat-footed at 40 yrs old was not something I’ve seen before. But, he got away with it against an opponent the caliber of Spike O’Sullivan (great John L Sullivan stash aside, was never a World Class Middleweight at his best). Lara, 10 yrs ago, was one of the most avoided, difficult matchups in the sport. I thought he outpointed Canelo in their 2014 fight. But, not sure where he actually “fits” in the Middleweight landscape these days. He’s PBC, so only fights other PBC stable opponents, and this “thins” the options (and $). Heard Sergio Martinez was coming out of retirement (post 40), so maybe there’s an “old-timer” event to be made there. Hope he stays healthy and retires, because he was very good in his younger prime.

Main event lasted longer than I thought it would (or should I say “should”). And that’s all on Davis - thought he let the far less experienced and less talented Romero hang around because Davis didn’t want to take any risk at all. Tank fought cautiously early on (respected/wary of Romero’s size and pega) and Romero didn’t have the skill (lacks an uppercut) or experience to create openings and force the fight. Davis just waited (posed) for an opportunity to catch Rolly with the counter. And, no surprise to me, that’s what eventually happened…. Sadly, some nonsense (and people hurt) in/near the Barclays Center afterwards (so I read). Not the kind of look I care to see at an event representing the sport I’ve loved for over 50 yrs….

While I didn’t like this matchup, I think Davis is supremely talented. And I‘d favor him over almost all the other 135’ers out there (except the Arum guys Lopez, Loma and Shakur - those are 50/50 matchups IMO). If he’d just fight them…. Maybe leaving the conservative Ellerbie/Mayweather group will open some new opportunities; for Tank and the sport. Kambosos/Haney winner (next weekend) should be available by year’s end. If he (Davis) really wants it, he could make it happen. I can hope at least……

Haymon (PBC) is shameless. $75 PPV for that card - Lol. I would not pay to watch these matchups nor this level of competition. Neither would my local bar, which did not carry it. Don’t think the Leonard Ellerbie (Mayweather Promotions) business model is gonna work for Tank Davis in the future. Maybe that’s why (rumor) Davis is leaving the group after this fight (contract is over).

Just finished watching a replay pirate feed on the web. Confirmed (in spades) why I chose not to buy it….

Watching Lara fight flat-footed at 40 yrs old was not something I’ve seen before. But, he got away with it against an opponent the caliber of Spike O’Sullivan (great John L Sullivan stash aside, was never a World Class Middleweight at his best). Lara, 10 yrs ago, was one of the most avoided, difficult matchups in the sport. I thought he outpointed Canelo in their 2014 fight. But, not sure where he actually “fits” in the Middleweight landscape these days. He’s PBC, so only fights other PBC stable opponents, and this “thins” the options (and $). Heard Sergio Martinez was coming out of retirement (post 40), so maybe there’s an “old-timer” event to be made there. Hope he stays healthy and retires, because he was very good in his younger prime.

Main event lasted longer than I thought it would (or should I say “should”). And that’s all on Davis - thought he let the far less experienced and less talented Romero hang around because Davis didn’t want to take any risk at all. Tank fought cautiously early on (respected/wary of Romero’s size and pega) and Romero didn’t have the skill (lacks an uppercut) or experience to create openings and force the fight. Davis just waited (posed) for an opportunity to catch Rolly with the counter. And, no surprise to me, that’s what eventually happened…. Sadly, some nonsense (and people hurt) in/near the Barclays Center afterwards (so I read). Not the kind of look I care to see at an event representing the sport I’ve loved for over 50 yrs….

While I didn’t like this matchup, I think Davis is supremely talented. And I‘d favor him over almost all the other 135’ers out there (except the Arum guys Lopez, Loma and Shakur - those are 50/50 matchups IMO). If he’d just fight them…. Maybe leaving the conservative Ellerbie/Mayweather group will open some new opportunities; for Tank and the sport. Kambosos/Haney winner (next weekend) should be available by year’s end. If he (Davis) really wants it, he could make it happen. I can hope at least……

This was the incident.

Multiple injuries reported after "sound disturbance" assumed gunshots lead to stampede during Gervonta Davis vs. Rolando Romero

Although the announcers for the telecast reported that the fans were distracted by something going on in the stands during the first round, most accounts I've read said that it happened after the fight.

Although the announcers for the telecast reported that the fans were distracted by something going on in the stands during the first round, most accounts I've read said that it happened after the fight.
There was some disturbance in the 1st as well as something else at the end
may have even injured him as a few rounds later he tried to throw his left but winced in pain, (they never asked him after the fight if he was hurt).
This was the first thing on my mind after the ring interview, I wished they would've asked.

I cannot wait until next week! I can't remember the last time (if it's ever happened) with me not immediately having a favorite when hearing about a matchup. It definitely adds a lot of intrigue.

Gary O'Sullivan: John L. Sullivan:

1653844538459.png
1653844631283.png

One of these two things is not the same.

Just watched Devin Haney take George Kambosos apart. An old Hollywood western plot came to mind: the famous gunfighter is plagued with young gunmen trying to force him into a confrontation. Finally one of them shoots him. His dying words, with a smile are: "Now they'll come after you". Teo Lopez single-mindedly pursued Vasyl Lomachenko and beat him. Then here comes George Kambosos, just as single-minded but Lopez no longer was and Kambosos takes the crown from him. Here comes Devin Haney to take the title from Kambosos.

The fight was won from the floor up. Kambosos plodded forward, seeking to cut the distance between Haney and himself but unable to do because Haney's busier feet went backwards as fast as George could move forward. Haney would then move in with his own shots. Haney also had much superior body and head movement. George got an occasional good shot in but was unable to follow up on it. Haney doesn't have a lot of power himself and neither fighter was ever staggered or in trouble in the fight, although Kambosos' face was the worse for wear at the end of the fight.

Haney's big weapon was the jab. it wasn't a 'piston-like' jab, thrown over and over again in the same way. It was more like a snake that would strike when Kambosos didn't expect it. Haney would his right and George would tense up, preparing to defend against it and here came the left jab. Haney even used the jab as a counterpunch GK would throw a looping punch and Haney would connect with a jab before it got there. Timothy Bradley said in the third round that Devin "has got his rhythm and he's got Kambosos' rhythm. It was like the matrix. Haney seemed to know what punches Kambosos would throw and what punches to throw at him.

I graded the first round even. Kambosos got a could of good shots in in the second and I gave him that one. Haney took over in the third and I gave him every remaining round, 119-110. Sometimes it's just a question of who is in commend and did the other guy do anything to change that. Haney was in command for the last 10 rounds. The judges graded it 116-112, 118-110 and 116-112.

Haney now had all the lightweight bouts and other top boxers in that crowded division will have to come to him. He's a master defensive boxer. His one weakness is lack of punching power but he'd be the ideal opponent for a great puncher.

Just watched Devin Haney take George Kambosos apart. An old Hollywood western plot came to mind: the famous gunfighter is plagued with young gunmen trying to force him into a confrontation. Finally one of them shoots him. His dying words, with a smile are: "Now they'll come after you". Teo Lopez single-mindedly pursued Vasyl Lomachenko and beat him. Then here comes George Kambosos, just as single-minded but Lopez no longer was and Kambosos takes the crown from him. Here comes Devin Haney to take the title from Kambosos.

The fight was won from the floor up. Kambosos plodded forward, seeking to cut the distance between Haney and himself but unable to do because Haney's busier feet went backwards as fast as George could move forward. Haney would then move in with his own shots. Haney also had much superior body and head movement. George got an occasional good shot in but was unable to follow up on it. Haney doesn't have a lot of power himself and neither fighter was ever staggered or in trouble in the fight, although Kambosos' face was the worse for wear at the end of the fight.

Haney's big weapon was the jab. it wasn't a 'piston-like' jab, thrown over and over again in the same way. It was more like a snake that would strike when Kambosos didn't expect it. Haney would his right and George would tense up, preparing to defend against it and here came the left jab. Haney even used the jab as a counterpunch GK would throw a looping punch and Haney would connect with a jab before it got there. Timothy Bradley said in the third round that Devin "has got his rhythm and he's got Kambosos' rhythm. It was like the matrix. Haney seemed to know what punches Kambosos would throw and what punches to throw at him.

I graded the first round even. Kambosos got a could of good shots in in the second and I gave him that one. Haney took over in the third and I gave him every remaining round, 119-110. Sometimes it's just a question of who is in commend and did the other guy do anything to change that. Haney was in command for the last 10 rounds. The judges graded it 116-112, 118-110 and 116-112.

Haney now had all the lightweight bouts and other top boxers in that crowded division will have to come to him. He's a master defensive boxer. His one weakness is lack of punching power but he'd be the ideal opponent for a great puncher.
Congratulations to Haney. Undisputed. Travelled around the world to the defending champ’s backyard and took the belts. Boxing (used to) be this way. If you really wanted titles, you were willing to sacrifice “A side” money and advantageous location to get them. Go win the Championship. Then you get to cash in and dictate location and terms for your defenses after. Hagler did it that way. Ali did it that way. Arguello did it that way. Great fighters shouldn’t care where they fight. If they are great, they win anyway.

Kambosos couldn’t do anything to Haney. No pressure or foot speed. Devon just superior in all respects; made it look easy. Poor strategy and minimal adjustments by the Aussie. Seemed George was using the same game plan he used against Teo. Except he was fighting a fast-handed, defensive oriented opponent this time. He timed Lopez with the RH. He couldn’t time Haney. You neutralize an opponent’s jab by jabbing him back. Kambosos needs a new trainer…. Like Teo Lopez, not sure daddy is the answer or knows what he’s doing.

Something that bothers me about today’s game - infighting is a lost art…. Kambosos (and Roman - on the opposite Showtime card) need to watch some tape of the old-timers - 70’s Duran, Hagler, Marciano, Frazier, Archie Moore, Ruben Olivares, etc. Learn how to rapidly close distance, apply punch volume down then up and keep your opponent close…. Lightweight Roberto was one of the best I ever saw do it. Helps neutralize the quick footed, more athletic, fast-handed fighters. Great fighters can adjust and adapt their approach. Kambosos needed to go “Shawn Porter” on Haney, but couldn’t or didn’t know how.

Not sure this does much to “clean up” the 135 log jam of young talent, but is a start. No need for the rematch - Kambosos should waive it off and go fight someone else. He looked ordinary, so maybe he can use that to “lure” a Garcia into a big money event.

Haney is the Undisputed King right now. He (and Arum) control the Division. PBC won’t cross the street with Davis, so Loma (if he fights again) and Shakur are the easiest big fights to make. Both good ones. Maybe Garcia will play because he’s Golden Boy. We’ll see.

Looking forward to Monster/Filipino Flash 2 on Tuesday (early AM here). Weird timing, but I’m watching.

And looks like we’ll get Spence/Crawford in Oct. Overdue, but at least likely now. Can’t wait.

Woke up at just after 5AM. I'd normally turn over and go back to sleep but I remembered that the Inoue-Donaire rematch was about to start. Of course it wasn't. First I watched his younger brother, Takuma pound out a decision against one Gakuya Furuhashi, who looked more like Naoya than Takuma did, with blonde highlights in his hair. Takuma has plenty of talent but no power. He moved well and was very accurate. Furuhashi didn't have much defense. he threw 100 more punches than Takuma but they were wider an less accurate and he landed fewer punches. They was plenty of action. The fight was full of "Hollywood" punches, which landed flush but the other fighter was still standing there and continued his own assault. Furuhashi's face was the worse for wear by the end of the fight. I was more generous than the judges, giving Furuhashi one round and two even for a 119-111 final. One judge had it 119-109, the other two 120-108. Takuna is a super bantamweight. Like the Charlos, the bot hers will not fight for the same title so campaign in different divisions, (or half divisions)

Then a fighter who was an obvious combination of a mixed marriage between people of Japanese and Africa descent, Andy Hiraoka, whose motivating factor was the bullying he received in Japan because of his mixed race, (boxing beats AR-15's any day), dominated a weak opponent, Sun Akaiwa, (7-3-1 at age 37) but fooled around too much, posing and clowning, before taking him out in the 6th round. He's a Super featherweight with a 20-0, 15KO record but doesn't look ready for the big time until he takes his job more seriously.

Then came the main event. I wondered if the fight could possibly live up to the drama of the first one, which was the 2019 fight of the year, the normally dominant Inoue suffering a broken orbital bone and double-vision but knocking down Donaire with a body shot and pulling out the decision. I also wondered if the 39 year old Donaire might turn into an old man in the ring. He's been amazing. His last three fights were against undefeated fighters with a total record of 59-0. He lost the decision to Inoue and knocked out the other two.

if he wasn't an old man when he entered the ring, Inoue quickly turned him into one. He was just too fast and powerful, decking Donair very late in the first round. When he got up Donaire looked shaken and Inoue might have finished him then but the bell rung. The bell couldn't save him in the second round. Inoue staggered Donaire a couple of times,. On the second on, Donaire stumbled halfway across the ring, which seemed to be swirling around him. Naoya then cornered him and decked him. Donaire was not out but was flat on his back when the referee ended it with no protests from Donaire or his corner. Like the song from Oklahoma said, he'd "gone about as far as he could go".

The question is, where does Inoue go from here? He wants to unify the bantamweight title before the end of the year by winning the vacant IBF title but this was the one opponent that created any intrigue for a fight against "The Monster" - and now Inoue has destroyed him.

I find it interesting that the 'ruling bodies', (who are basically organizations that make their money sanctioning title fights for a fee), are allowing their titles to be unified. Usually they find ways of manipulating their rules to avoid that. They may respond by finding ways to break up the titles again. Another interesting development was that the Japanese announce the judges' scoring every five rounds. Andre Ward didn't like it, saying that it would be a 'distraction'. I would think that a fighter would want to know where he stood. the fear has always been that a fighter ahead by a couple of rounds in a close fight would just dance around the ring in the 12th round, the equivalent of running out the clock in football or basketball. Either that or the fans would riot if they didn't like the scoring. But Takuma Inoue fought the 12th round, (it was for the WBO Asia Pacific title, so a 12 rounder rather than 10) the same way he fought the first, despite being ahead 10-1 or 11-0 in round on the judge's card. And if fan were going to riot at a partial score, they'd also riot at the final score.

Back to bed. I highly recommend retirement.

Woke up at just after 5AM. I'd normally turn over and go back to sleep but I remembered that the Inoue-Donaire rematch was about to start. Of course it wasn't. First I watched his younger brother, Takuma pound out a decision against one Gakuya Furuhashi, who looked more like Naoya than Takuma did, with blonde highlights in his hair. Takuma has plenty of talent but no power. He moved well and was very accurate. Furuhashi didn't have much defense. he threw 100 more punches than Takuma but they were wider an less accurate and he landed fewer punches. They was plenty of action. The fight was full of "Hollywood" punches, which landed flush but the other fighter was still standing there and continued his own assault. Furuhashi's face was the worse for wear by the end of the fight. I was more generous than the judges, giving Furuhashi one round and two even for a 119-111 final. One judge had it 119-109, the other two 120-108. Takuna is a super bantamweight. Like the Charlos, the bot hers will not fight for the same title so campaign in different divisions, (or half divisions)

Then a fighter who was an obvious combination of a mixed marriage between people of Japanese and Africa descent, Andy Hiraoka, whose motivating factor was the bullying he received in Japan because of his mixed race, (boxing beats AR-15's any day), dominated a weak opponent, Sun Akaiwa, (7-3-1 at age 37) but fooled around too much, posing and clowning, before taking him out in the 6th round. He's a Super featherweight with a 20-0, 15KO record but doesn't look ready for the big time until he takes his job more seriously.

Then came the main event. I wondered if the fight could possibly live up to the drama of the first one, which was the 2019 fight of the year, the normally dominant Inoue suffering a broken orbital bone and double-vision but knocking down Donaire with a body shot and pulling out the decision. I also wondered if the 39 year old Donaire might turn into an old man in the ring. He's been amazing. His last three fights were against undefeated fighters with a total record of 59-0. He lost the decision to Inoue and knocked out the other two.

if he wasn't an old man when he entered the ring, Inoue quickly turned him into one. He was just too fast and powerful, decking Donair very late in the first round. When he got up Donaire looked shaken and Inoue might have finished him then but the bell rung. The bell couldn't save him in the second round. Inoue staggered Donaire a couple of times,. On the second on, Donaire stumbled halfway across the ring, which seemed to be swirling around him. Naoya then cornered him and decked him. Donaire was not out but was flat on his back when the referee ended it with no protests from Donaire or his corner. Like the song from Oklahoma said, he'd "gone about as far as he could go".

The question is, where does Inoue go from here? He wants to unify the bantamweight title before the end of the year by winning the vacant IBF title but this was the one opponent that created any intrigue for a fight against "The Monster" - and now Inoue has destroyed him.

I find it interesting that the 'ruling bodies', (who are basically organizations that make their money sanctioning title fights for a fee), are allowing their titles to be unified. Usually they find ways of manipulating their rules to avoid that. They may respond by finding ways to break up the titles again. Another interesting development was that the Japanese announce the judges' scoring every five rounds. Andre Ward didn't like it, saying that it would be a 'distraction'. I would think that a fighter would want to know where he stood. the fear has always been that a fighter ahead by a couple of rounds in a close fight would just dance around the ring in the 12th round, the equivalent of running out the clock in football or basketball. Either that or the fans would riot if they didn't like the scoring. But Takuma Inoue fought the 12th round, (it was for the WBO Asia Pacific title, so a 12 rounder rather than 10) the same way he fought the first, despite being ahead 10-1 or 11-0 in round on the judge's card. And if fan were going to riot at a partial score, they'd also riot at the final score.

Back to bed. I highly recommend retirement.
Monster left no doubt this time. Donaire broke his face in the first fight with that sneaky LH and Inoue wasn’t gonna give him the opportunity to stick around. Great fighters leave no doubt in rematches.…

Donaire might have aged overnight (he is 39 and doesn’t juice), but I think he has (still) the best LH in boxing. I thought Monster would be careful early on; believed he’d try to wear Nonito out to the midsection and force a stoppage late. But Inoue decided to go out there and blow Donaire away. “Hooked with the hooker“ and crushed him with his own perfect version of one.

I think Inoue (with Crawford) is the top P4P fighter in the sport. Best combo of speed and power out there today. Puts punches together like a machine. If he was heavier (Lightweight, Welter), the American sports community would be “salivating“ over him. A faster (albeit smaller) Prime JCC (when he was a Jr Light) or Featherweight Arguello.

TR needs to showcase Monster better and get him out there more often. Might need to jump to 122 or 28 to find a challenger. Regardless, for this boxing fan, he’s must watch TV.

More bad news for the sport:

ESPN re-did their pound-for-pound top 10 and I found I agreed with all 10 picks and the rank order:

Allot of Top Rank guys on that ESPN list.…
I wonder what a Showtime “commentators” list would look like. Lol….

That aside, I agree with the Top 4. A couple of selections open to debate, but most of the guys there belong on a list of the best in the sport, in some sort or way.

In the end, P4P lists are opinion and conjecture. Douggie Fischer (Ring Magazine) once referred to them as “mental masturbation.” I tend to agree. Fun to think about….

I put together a list of my own “mental masturbation” - the top fighters I’ve watched during my lifetime. From 1970 or so forward. Wasn’t old enough (before that) to critically observe or appreciate what I was seeing or reading. Harder to watch all the high end talent, but allot of fights were on regular TV and early cable. Boxing was so regional in the 70’s especially - SOCAL, Philly, NY, Chicago, the Orient, Mexico, Argentina, even CNY, etc. But they were easy (and cheap) to attend. I watched many good fights at the Garden, Felt Forum, Blue Horizon, even saw a couple at the old Olympic in LA. My old man loved to road trip and see good fights. The boxing mags also had superb writers then too - all local and covered their respective “beats.” Like all media once did…..

Anyways, here’s my list. Opinions are my own and worth what you paid for It. Lol….

Best fighters observed (by weight category) during my lifetime:
Heavyweight - Ali (unfortunately, his Prime was pre-suspension, not after he came back in 1970)
Cruiser - Holyfield (Usyk close 2nd - unfortunately, his was a weaker era than during the ”Real Deal’s”)
Light Heavy - Michael Spinks (Bob Foster runner up)
Super Middle - Roy Jones (thought it was his best weight, where he was most dominant, even though weak division)
Middleweight - Marvelous Marvin Hagler (Carlos Monzon a close runner up)
Jr Middlewight - Mike McCallum
Welterweight - Sugar Ray Leonard (pre retinal surgery retirement)
Jr Welterweight - Wilfred Benitez (many might say Aaron Pryor)
Lightweight - Roberto Duran (Pernell Whitaker runner up)
Jr Lightweight - Alexis Arguello
Featherweight - Salvador Sanchez (died at 24 in car accident - in his prime)
Jr Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez
Bantamweight - Carlos Zarate, Inoue (Eder Jofre, widely considered the best, was just a little before my time).
Jr Bantamweight (115) - Jiro Watanabe (many consider Khaosai Galaxy as the best ever)
Flyweight (112) - Miguel Canto (really liked Betulio Gonzalez as well - same time frame)
Jr Flyweight (108/110) - Michael Carbajal (although “Chiquita” Gonzalez beat him 2 out of 3)

Best P4P (at their best during my observation period):
SRL
RJJ
Duran
Sanchez
Whitaker
Ali
Mayweather Jr

Most Dangerous Puncher (one punch, KO power) - Julian Jackson (early-mid 80’s Jr Middle / Middle). Runner Up - Earnie Shavers (Heavyweight), Tommy Hearns (Welter-Middle), Wilder (Heavyweight)
Heaviest Hands (pound into submission) - Big George Foreman, John Mugabi (mid 80’s Middleweight), David Tua
Best Chin - Ali and Hagler
Best Infighter - Duran
Best Defense - Mayweather, Benitez
Best Counterpuncher - Benitez, Whitaker, Mayweather
Best Body Puncher - McCallum, Julio Caesar Chavez Sr, Carlos Palomino (Welter Champ late 70’s)
Best Uppercut - RJJ, Tyson
Best LH - Joe Frazier, Cyclone Hart, Bennie Briscoe (all Philly fighters), Pipino Cuevas (70’s Welter Champ)
Best Jab - Larry Holmes, Ali, Lennox Lewis, Alexis Arguello, DeLaHoya
Fastest Hands - RJJ (SRL’s reflexes were beyond worldly, but RJJ had the fastest mitts)
Highest Ring IQ - Ali, SRL, Mayweather
Strongest - Foreman
Biggest “Bleeders” - Vito Antuofermo, Sean O’Grady, Alfredo Escalera, Jerry Quarry
Fan friendly (excitement - win or lose) - Ruben Olivares, Danny Lopez, Bobby Chacon (70’s Featherweights), Gatti (when not overmatched), Frank ‘The Animal” Fletcher, Matthew Saad Muhammad (Franklin)

Best (competitive action) Fights - Pryor/Arguello 1, Castillo/Corrales 1, Foreman/Lyle, Marquez/Vasquez 2, Barerra/Morales 1, Pac/Morales 2, Gatti/Ward 1, Matthew Saad Muhammad/Marvin Johnson 1+2
Best Rd - Hagler/Hearns (1st)
Best KO (1 Punch) - Jackson/Herol Graham, Hearns/Duran, Jackson/Terry Norris, Pac/Ricky Hatton, Marquez/Pac 4, James Toney/Charles Williams, Foreman/Moorer, McCallum/Donald Curry, SRL/Davey “Boy” Green
Most Brutal Beatings - Frazier/Foreman 1, Thrilla in Manila, Ali/Shavers, Matthew Saad Muhammad/Dwight Qawi, Sanchez/Gomez, JCC/Edwin Rosario, JCC/Meldrick Taylor 1, Duran/Ray Lampkin, Duran/Davey Moore
Biggest “Decision Robberies” - Tyrone Everett/Alfredo Escalera, JCC/Whitaker, Holyfield/Lewis 1

Biggest Unknown - How would the 70’s Heavyweights be remembered if Teo Stevenson (Cuban Amateur) was a Pro?

Biggest Events - Ali/Frazier 1, Ali/Foreman, SRL/Duran 1, SRL/Hagler, Zarate/Zamora (undefeated Mexican Bantam clash in LA)
Best Native CNY Pro Fighter - Billy Backus (Carmen Basilio, the unquestioned GOAT, I only watched on film)

I guess because I’m old, I’m biased towards the “old timers.” There is some ATG talent out there today (Canelo, Crawford, Monster, Usyk). Mayweather and Ward retired unbeaten. Boxers today are bigger, stronger, faster; like every sport. Some is due to training and lifestyle, some of it is PEDs…. We are in the era of day before weigh-ins (some fighters are 10 lbs heavier when they enter the ring) and this generation no longer fights 15 in Championship bouts. For me, that separated the “men from the boys.” Fighters today are just not as battle tested as they once were. But, think today’s fighters fight allot less, take less punishment (good for long term health) and they make allot more money. Last two are good things.….

Allot of Top Rank guys on that ESPN list.…
I wonder what a Showtime “commentators” list would look like. Lol….

That aside, I agree with the Top 4. A couple of selections open to debate, but most of the guys there belong on a list of the best in the sport, in some sort or way.

In the end, P4P lists are opinion and conjecture. Douggie Fischer (Ring Magazine) once referred to them as “mental masturbation.” I tend to agree. Fun to think about….

I put together a list of my own “mental masturbation” - the top fighters I’ve watched during my lifetime. From 1970 or so forward. Wasn’t old enough (before that) to critically observe or appreciate what I was seeing or reading. Harder to watch all the high end talent, but allot of fights were on regular TV and early cable. Boxing was so regional in the 70’s especially - SOCAL, Philly, NY, Chicago, the Orient, Mexico, Argentina, even CNY, etc. But they were easy (and cheap) to attend. I watched many good fights at the Garden, Felt Forum, Blue Horizon, even saw a couple at the old Olympic in LA. My old man loved to road trip and see good fights. The boxing mags also had superb writers then too - all local and covered their respective “beats.” Like all media once did…..

Anyways, here’s my list. Opinions are my own and worth what you paid for It. Lol….

Best fighters observed (by weight category) during my lifetime:
Heavyweight - Ali (unfortunately, his Prime was pre-suspension, not after he came back in 1970)
Cruiser - Holyfield (Usyk close 2nd - unfortunately, his was a weaker era than during the ”Real Deal’s”)
Light Heavy - Michael Spinks (Bob Foster runner up)
Super Middle - Roy Jones (thought it was his best weight, where he was most dominant, even though weak division)
Middleweight - Marvelous Marvin Hagler (Carlos Monzon a close runner up)
Jr Middlewight - Mike McCallum
Welterweight - Sugar Ray Leonard (pre retinal surgery retirement)
Jr Welterweight - Wilfred Benitez (many might say Aaron Pryor)
Lightweight - Roberto Duran (Pernell Whitaker runner up)
Jr Lightweight - Alexis Arguello
Featherweight - Salvador Sanchez (died at 24 in car accident - in his prime)
Jr Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez
Bantamweight - Carlos Zarate, Inoue (Eder Jofre, widely considered the best, was just a little before my time).
Jr Bantamweight (115) - Jiro Watanabe (many consider Khaosai Galaxy as the best ever)
Flyweight (112) - Miguel Canto (really liked Betulio Gonzalez as well - same time frame)
Jr Flyweight (108/110) - Michael Carbajal (although “Chiquita” Gonzalez beat him 2 out of 3)

Best P4P (at their best during my observation period):
SRL
RJJ
Duran
Sanchez
Whitaker
Ali
Mayweather Jr

Most Dangerous Puncher (one punch, KO power) - Julian Jackson (early-mid 80’s Jr Middle / Middle). Runner Up - Earnie Shavers (Heavyweight), Tommy Hearns (Welter-Middle), Wilder (Heavyweight)
Heaviest Hands (pound into submission) - Big George Foreman, John Mugabi (mid 80’s Middleweight), David Tua
Best Chin - Ali and Hagler
Best Infighter - Duran
Best Defense - Mayweather, Benitez
Best Counterpuncher - Benitez, Whitaker, Mayweather
Best Body Puncher - McCallum, Julio Caesar Chavez Sr, Carlos Palomino (Welter Champ late 70’s)
Best Uppercut - RJJ, Tyson
Best LH - Joe Frazier, Cyclone Hart, Bennie Briscoe (all Philly fighters), Pipino Cuevas (70’s Welter Champ)
Best Jab - Larry Holmes, Ali, Lennox Lewis, Alexis Arguello, DeLaHoya
Fastest Hands - RJJ (SRL’s reflexes were beyond worldly, but RJJ had the fastest mitts)
Highest Ring IQ - Ali, SRL, Mayweather
Strongest - Foreman
Biggest “Bleeders” - Vito Antuofermo, Sean O’Grady, Alfredo Escalera, Jerry Quarry
Fan friendly (excitement - win or lose) - Ruben Olivares, Danny Lopez, Bobby Chacon (70’s Featherweights), Gatti (when not overmatched), Frank ‘The Animal” Fletcher, Matthew Saad Muhammad (Franklin)

Best (competitive action) Fights - Pryor/Arguello 1, Castillo/Corrales 1, Foreman/Lyle, Marquez/Vasquez 2, Barerra/Morales 1, Pac/Morales 2, Gatti/Ward 1, Matthew Saad Muhammad/Marvin Johnson 1+2
Best Rd - Hagler/Hearns (1st)
Best KO (1 Punch) - Jackson/Herol Graham, Hearns/Duran, Jackson/Terry Norris, Pac/Ricky Hatton, Marquez/Pac 4, James Toney/Charles Williams, Foreman/Moorer, McCallum/Donald Curry, SRL/Davey “Boy” Green
Most Brutal Beatings - Frazier/Foreman 1, Thrilla in Manila, Ali/Shavers, Matthew Saad Muhammad/Dwight Qawi, Sanchez/Gomez, JCC/Edwin Rosario, JCC/Meldrick Taylor 1, Duran/Ray Lampkin, Duran/Davey Moore
Biggest “Decision Robberies” - Tyrone Everett/Alfredo Escalera, JCC/Whitaker, Holyfield/Lewis 1

Biggest Unknown - How would the 70’s Heavyweights be remembered if Teo Stevenson (Cuban Amateur) was a Pro?

Biggest Events - Ali/Frazier 1, Ali/Foreman, SRL/Duran 1, SRL/Hagler, Zarate/Zamora (undefeated Mexican Bantam clash in LA)
Best Native CNY Pro Fighter - Billy Backus (Carmen Basilio, the unquestioned GOAT, I only watched on film)

I guess because I’m old, I’m biased towards the “old timers.” There is some ATG talent out there today (Canelo, Crawford, Monster, Usyk). Mayweather and Ward retired unbeaten. Boxers today are bigger, stronger, faster; like every sport. Some is due to training and lifestyle, some of it is PEDs…. We are in the era of day before weigh-ins (some fighters are 10 lbs heavier when they enter the ring) and this generation no longer fights 15 in Championship bouts. For me, that separated the “men from the boys.” Fighters today are just not as battle tested as they once were. But, think today’s fighters fight allot less, take less punishment (good for long term health) and they make allot more money. Last two are good things.….

Wonderful post. I think Inoue might be the best chance of any of the current boxers to be #1 in his division. We'll have a better idea of where Crawford or Spence should rate after they face each other. Canelo has accomplished a lot but I still think GGG beat him both times. A third fight might resolve that issue. But I'm a big fan of both Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler so I think I'd stick with them as the best welter and middle-weights. Arguello would be the best feather, Duran the best lightweight. Foster would be the best Light heave, Usyk the best Middle heavyweight, (cruiser),. The best flyweight would be Ricardo Lopez. I think there should be a 'superheavyweight' division and I'd put Lennox Lewis atop that. Agreeing that Ali's prime was in the 60's, I'll go with the young Mike Tyson as the best heavyweight.

Looking at this weekend's schedule,

...the two names I recognize are Edgar Berlanga and Jaime Munguia, both listed as super-middleweights and both with impressive numerical records (EB 19-0, 16-0 with 1st round KO's in his first 16 fights, JM 39-0, 31-0), but a need to prove themselves against better competition. Unfortunately, in the grand tradition, they aren't fighting each other. Berlanga is fighting Roamer Alexis Angulo on ESPN and Munguia is fighting Jimmy Kelly and DAZN, (that's why). Looking at BoxRec's rankings for the super-middleweight division:

BoxRec: Ratings

...I see Berlanga at #11. I don't see Munguia, Angulo or Kelly. BoxRec lists Munguia as the 4th ranked middleweight. Kelly (26-2, 10-1) is the #36 middleweight. Angulo is (26-2, 23-1) and is listed on his page as a super-middle but he's not in their rankings or middle or light-heavy, perhaps because he hasn't fought in a year and is listed as 'inactive'. On 8/15/20, he fought David Benavidez for the Super-middle title and got knocked out in the 10th round.

Looking at this weekend's schedule,

...the two names I recognize are Edgar Berlanga and Jaime Munguia, both listed as super-middleweights and both with impressive numerical records (EB 19-0, 16-0 with 1st round KO's in his first 16 fights, JM 39-0, 31-0), but a need to prove themselves against better competition. Unfortunately, in the grand tradition, they aren't fighting each other. Berlanga is fighting Roamer Alexis Angulo on ESPN and Munguia is fighting Jimmy Kelly and DAZN, (that's why). Looking at BoxRec's rankings for the super-middleweight division:

BoxRec: Ratings

...I see Berlanga at #11. I don't see Munguia, Angulo or Kelly. BoxRec lists Munguia as the 4th ranked middleweight. Kelly (26-2, 10-1) is the #36 middleweight. Angulo is (26-2, 23-1) and is listed on his page as a super-middle but he's not in their rankings or middle or light-heavy, perhaps because he hasn't fought in a year and is listed as 'inactive'. On 8/15/20, he fought David Benavidez for the Super-middle title and got knocked out in the 10th round.

Kelly came out and totally out-boxed Munguia for four rounds, moving in and out and aro9und, floating like a bald butterfly and stinging like an Irish bee. His confidence grew as the fight went along and he got more willing to exchange with Munguia briefly, then back out. Jaime timed this and followed him, hitting Kelly with a looping left hook that, combined with Kelly's only backwards momentum, sent him tumbling across the ring, into the rope and down to the canvas. Kelly got up but was soon down from an uppercut. He got up again but Jaime bulled him into a corner and threw several combinations at him. Kelly sank to the canvas and, although there was no three knockdown rule, the referee stopped it with no protest from Kelly. Munguia showed he could be out-boxed but is always dangerous. They are talking about fight with Jermall Charlo for the WBC middle title next. Munguia is no 40-0 so it's about time he fought for a title, (he was WBO junior middle title holder in 2018-19 but left that division of bigger game.

The Berlanga that started his career with 16 straight one-round knockouts was absent from tonight's bout. Angulo proved to be a big aggressive but slow older guy and Berlanga elected to show his boxing ability and he basically won this fight with a piston-like jab. Angulo actually landed more power punches. Berlanga found himself backing up and against the ropes much of the fight but jabs and flurries kept him ahead on points. I graded the first round even and gave Angulo rounds 3&4. Then Berlanga got the jab going and took the next three rounds.

In the 6th, bizarrely, in a clinch, he tried to bit Angulo in the shoulder. Fortunately, the ref didn't see it but the camera did. Timothy Bradley was left searching for something to say. He finally wondered "What is it with New York fighters?" (Tyson, now Berlanga.) That re-energized Angulo who I thought won the next two rounds. That meant that the 10th round, (there was no championship on the line) would decide it and Berlanga got those jabs going again to pull away. the judges gave Angulo a lot less credit than I did, giving him score like 98-92 and 99-91. But they had the right winner.

If Berlanga can combined the boxing ability we saw tonight with his former power, he could have a strong career. This was his fourth straight fight to go to a decision after 16 straight one-round knockouts, a strange record.

IBOF weekend. Hoped there would be bigger cards to commemorate.

Was interested to see Jalov again. Olympic Champ and very good amateur. Reminds me a bit of a southpaw Klitschko. Heavyweight Division is very thin beyond the Top 4; hoping he breaks thru. But, think Jalov could use more seasoning to mature into a elite pro. Needs to work on his RH. Would have been nice to see him matched with a guy the caliber of a Trevor Bryan (the dude Daniel Dubois blasted out over on DAZN today). Or better yet, Dubois….

Good thing Munguia has the eraser - heavy hands. Solid ending to a forgettable performance against Kelly. I think Jaime (technically) is still a work in progress. Thought Kelly was outboxing him before the TKO. And Munguia needs to stay at 160, rather than edge up to 168 (bout was at a 165 contract). He’ll never fight the Charlo’s due to promotional politics (PBC). Too bad, it would be worth watching. Me thinks DAZN is prepping a Cinco De Mayo all Mexican clash with Canelo next year….

TR is sure trying to hype Berlanga…. Giving him the Main Event at Hulu Theater (MSG). Arum and Trampler/Goodman (Bob’s matchmakers) are dying to get a “name” into the 168 discussion. Angulo was picked as an opponent for a reason - he went rounds with Benevidez. I didn’t score it, but I thought he won…. Draw at worst. 99-91 card is a house decision. Bad fight strategy by Berlanga’s team; showed an older and inactive Angulo way too much respect. And Angulo walked him down (albeit no ring cutting and at a pedestrian pace) the whole fight. Edgar was hurt on a couple of occasions, was a sucker for the left uppercut, roughed up in the 9th and pulled the ultimate frustration punk move by biting his opponent. Angulo was just not in the shape necessary to step on the gas and finish.
IMO, Edgar is really just a heavy handed club fighter (at this stage) who needs allot of rounds against different styles and better coaching to improve. The “1 rd KO streak” and the associated marketing campaign may have hurt his development. Might have hit his ceiling. Mediocre work rate, foot and hand speed in the last few fights. Needs to add a body attack. Doesn’t seem to know how to “open” the defense of better fighters. That’s what you use a jab for…. Last two opponents have taken away Berlanga’s RH and he’s had no answer. Not a top-level boxer yet IMO. Doubt he ever will be. Think even Arum and ESPN probably recognizes they can’t “over sell” this any longer. I listened to Bradley post fight and he wasn’t enamored with Berlanga’s performance either. “Where does Berlanga go fro here?” “No where” responds Bradley. Lol….

Next week’s marquee fight should be better. Beterbiev/Smith should be rough and violent. However long it lasts…

I wondered about the Joe Smith- Artur Beterbiev hype. They were describing it like two freight trains about to crash head on. I question whether Smith was in Beterbiev's class, and he wasn't. Smith came out jabbing but the normally slow-starting Beterbiev came right after him, taking away the jab with overhand rights. Smith stopped jabbing, threw a few haymakers that never got there because Artur was sending his punches right down the shute at Joe. Smith, who had never been down, 'slipped' midway through the first round and was officially knocked down knocked down just before the bell. he went down twice more in the second round. Then Beterbiev landed an uppercut that caused Smith to stagger backwards and turn around, looking as if he wasn't surer where he was and the referee stopped it.
Andre Ward said that once Smith had felt Beterbiev's power, he knew he was going to get knocked out.

Now let's get Beterbiev vs. Bivol, please.

I wondered about the Joe Smith- Artur Beterbiev hype. They were describing it like two freight trains about to crash head on. I question whether Smith was in Beterbiev's class, and he wasn't. Smith came out jabbing but the normally slow-starting Beterbiev came right after him, taking away the jab with overhand rights. Smith stopped jabbing, threw a few haymakers that never got there because Artur was sending his punches right down the shute at Joe. Smith, who had never been down, 'slipped' midway through the first round and was officially knocked down knocked down just before the bell. he went down twice more in the second round. Then Beterbiev landed an uppercut that caused Smith to stagger backwards and turn around, looking as if he wasn't surer where he was and the referee stopped it.
Andre Ward said that once Smith had felt Beterbiev's power, he knew he was going to get knocked out.

Now let's get Beterbiev vs. Bivol, please.
Disappointed with Smith. Did not expect a mismatch like this. Not sure what the fight strategy was (other than to close on Beterbiev and land the big punch). Maybe hoping to capitalize on Beterbiev’s reputation as a slow starter - he’s been down early in fights before. Didn’t respect Artur‘s hand speed, technique and heavy hands. Huge mistake. Smith was wide open as he moved forward. Reminded me of Joe Frazier trying to walk thru George Foreman. Same result, except Smith wasn’t resilient (or skilled) enough to fight back when hurt. On the positive side, saved him the beating that Frazier took….

Even though he’s a brute, Beterbiev is a very skilled fighter. Superior footwork, balance and punch placement. With Lomachenko, was one of the top P4P Amateurs in the world before turning pro. Had a nice rivalry with Usyk when they were in the “head gear” ranks. Maybe they can meet again for pay in the future.

I agree - the only fight to make at 175 is Bivol/Beterbiev. Other than Spence/Crawford, it’s the best (on paper) 50/50 matchup in the sport. But TR and DAZN will, unfortunately, let this marinate. Beterbiev will be fed Yarde next and Bivol will wait for Canelo to make a decision on a rematch. And we fans continue to wait….

I’m 0-2 on the last two major fights (Monster-Donaire and Beterbiev-Smith) - predicted both would be allot more competitive and action-packed. Instead, they were both blowouts…. I’m counting on Bam Rodriguez/Sor Rungvisai to (hopefully) break the streak next weekend….

Disappointed with Smith. Did not expect a mismatch like this. Not sure what the fight strategy was (other than to close on Beterbiev and land the big punch). Maybe hoping to capitalize on Beterbiev’s reputation as a slow starter - he’s been down early in fights before. Didn’t respect Artur‘s hand speed, technique and heavy hands. Huge mistake. Smith was wide open as he moved forward. Reminded me of Joe Frazier trying to walk thru George Foreman. Same result, except Smith wasn’t resilient (or skilled) enough to fight back when hurt. On the positive side, saved him the beating that Frazier took….

Even though he’s a brute, Beterbiev is a very skilled fighter. Superior footwork, balance and punch placement. With Lomachenko, was one of the top P4P Amateurs in the world before turning pro. Had a nice rivalry with Usyk when they were in the “head gear” ranks. Maybe they can meet again for pay in the future.

I agree - the only fight to make at 175 is Bivol/Beterbiev. Other than Spence/Crawford, it’s the best (on paper) 50/50 matchup in the sport. But TR and DAZN will, unfortunately, let this marinate. Beterbiev will be fed Yarde next and Bivol will wait for Canelo to make a decision on a rematch. And we fans continue to wait….

I’m 0-2 on the last two major fights (Monster-Donaire and Beterbiev-Smith) - predicted both would be allot more competitive and action-packed. Instead, they were both blowouts…. I’m counting on Bam Rodriguez/Sor Rungvisai to (hopefully) break the streak next weekend….

It's not just the power - it's the delivery system. Joe Smith had a musket, Artur Beterbiev a rifle. He was able to deliver shorter, more accurate punches and take the inept Smith apart. Beterbiev is 37. If they can't find competitive opponents for him he might actually retire not only undefeated but having knocked out all his professional opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom