Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

These "student athletes " at Syracuse are saving 330k over 4 years in tuition, room and board. Plus they get other perks. They walk away with a degree and no frigging debt. That's a heck of a deal. I played D3 and I will be paying down that student loan until I'm 70. Let's stop pretending they are selflessly running out on the field and the schools are extorting them it was always a transaction. You go to school for free and you play a fun sport. All the rest of your fellow students will be wracked with debt for the rest of their lives and they had fun in school for free.
$42,622,806 that's what Syracuse Football made. Players don't have to pay the overinflated rate of $82,500 to go to school times that by 85 the school is "out" $7,012,500. That's a pretty nice investment the school made.
These are not normal students, they sacrifice their bodies to allow the schools to make money on top of money. Why does them getting free tuition have anything to do with them making money off of themselves? Should students with Youtube channels not get paid? Should students that work not get paid?
I've never said they are selflessly running out on the field and yes schools are extorting them for free tuition. "You come play football here, we give you free tuition. In turn we will make 6-8 times what we "paid" you in tuition cost"

Let the damn kids earn money like anyone else.

I got pennys compared to what my company took in. That’s life. But to be clear, I’m not against NIL if it was what was intended. Not this giving kids hundreds of thousands or even a million dollars to go to their school. The portal is garbage too. If kids don’t like it, don’t go to college to play sports.
It's actually the other way around. If fans don't like it, they can go elsewhere for their sports fix. It's these kids lives. I'm a lot more interested in who we bring in. If kids want to leave, good luck to you.

$42,622,806 that's what Syracuse Football made. Players don't have to pay the overinflated rate of $82,500 to go to school times that by 85 the school is "out" $7,012,500. That's a pretty nice investment the school made.
These are not normal students, they sacrifice their bodies to allow the schools to make money on top of money. Why does them getting free tuition have anything to do with them making money off of themselves? Should students with Youtube channels not get paid? Should students that work not get paid?
I've never said they are selflessly running out on the field and yes schools are extorting them for free tuition. "You come play football here, we give you free tuition. In turn we will make 6-8 times what we "paid" you in tuition cost"

Not to mention this idea that these kids are playing for fun. It is a 365 24 hour commitment.

Dude that's how it works. You work and your employer pays you a wage based on your perceived value and then your company makes a bunch of money. You talk about it like the kids are making a sacrifice. They get to play a game they love and get a free education. Most of these kids stay 5 years. A bachelors and masters from syracuse without the 400k price tag IS life changing money.

Dude that's how it works. You work and your employer pays you a wage based on your perceived value and then your company makes a bunch of money. You talk about it like the kids are making a sacrifice. They get to play a game they love and get a free education. Most of these kids stay 5 years. A bachelors and masters from syracuse without the 400k price tag IS life changing money.
yeah, and if a kids perceived value is more to one school than another, shouldn't they b e able to go and get that money? Of course they should. And no one complains when we get Jaeden Gould from Nebraska. Or Braylen Ingraham from Alabama. Or anyone else we will get. Because we will get more kids in the portal.

yeah, and if a kids perceived value is more to one school than another, shouldn't they b e able to go and get that money? Of course they should. And no one complains when we get Jaeden Gould from Nebraska. Or Braylen Ingraham from Alabama. Or anyone else we will get. Because we will get more kids in the portal.
Do you like this? Don’t you enjoy watching a kid for 3-4 years grow and become a better player in the uniform you root for? The thread is about how this works for the fans, not the player.

Do you like this? Don’t you enjoy watching a kid for 3-4 years grow and become a better player in the uniform you root for? The thread is about how this works for the fans, not the player.
I root for Syracuse. The kids that want to be here. If a kid wants to be somewhere else, I don't give it a second thought. Now, years ago, it would have bothered me. But I've grown up. It's their life. Not mine. They don't owe me anything. They didn't do anything to me. In this case, I wish Duce would have stayed. I like watching him play. But it isn't the end of the world. We can and will replace him. We will get kids in the portal that will help us. I imagine the schools they leave will have fans that will be upset that those kids transferred to us.

Worst thing that’s ever happened to college sports, especially football and basketball.

Just call it minor leagues from now on.
I enjoyed last nights soccer game. I think we had what, 12 transfers? And it's always been a minor league for football and hoop. The players just didn't get to share in it before.

What would have been interesting is if the NCAA and it's member institutions saw the oncoming train and actually worked on a plan rather than sitting arrogantly collecting cash. The adults in the room were greedy and fat, and failed to adjust to the changing world. They are now paying for it.

The value is now based on things outside the control of the university and that is the problem. The value was derived from the tuition and associated student benefits. Now we are talking about cold hard cash from boosters and the community. So the perceived value of a employee in this case is being driven by outside factors. Also I doubt the kids coming in from Alabama and Nebraska are coming in for NIL. That would be apples and oranges. Duce leaving because outside money is a false equivalence to Ingraham being medically dqd and choosing a new school where he can get playing time. I'm assuming you are writing these things emotionally without any logic. That's how it reads anyway.

I enjoyed last nights soccer game. I think we had what, 12 transfers? And it's always been a minor league for football and hoop. The players just didn't get to share in it before.

I’m not a fan when it favors us either. I’d argue it will have a net negative impact on us over time.

The system that was in place was inarguably unfair to the student-athletes; however, I’m more of a traditionalist when it comes to watching Cuse sports… have always loved watching some of these kids get better during their 3-4 years (Football). Now it’s a seemingly swinging door… not too much loyalty. Tough to watch.

The value is now based on things outside the control of the university and that is the problem. The value was derived from the tuition and associated student benefits. Now we are talking about cold hard cash from boosters and the community. So the perceived value of a employee in this case is being driven by outside factors. Also I doubt the kids coming in from Alabama and Nebraska are coming in for NIL. That would be apples and oranges. Duce leaving because outside money is a false equivalence to Ingraham being medically dqd and choosing a new school where he can get playing time. I'm assuming you are writing these things emotionally without any logic. That's how it reads anyway.
Actually, that would be you. I'm not upset because a player that plays on my team is leaving. That's you. I couldn't really care less. If a player doesn't want to be here or thinks he has a better opportunity elsewhere, go. You are upset because it hurts, in your mind, your fandom. I'm not that selfish. I will root for the orange whether Duce or anyone else is here. And not everyone we get in the portal will be because of a medical situation.

It's actually the other way around. If fans don't like it, they can go elsewhere for their sports fix. It's these kids lives. I'm a lot more interested in who we bring in. If kids want to leave, good luck to you.

Not exactly. Without fans there are no college sports. Again, I have no problem with NIL done the right way and the way it was intended. Selling merchandise, autograph sessions, doing a sports camp, and the like is 100% name, image and likeness. Paying a player $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000 or in some cases $1,000,000 has nothing to do with name, image and likeness. It’s paying them to come play for your school.

Not exactly. Without fans there are no college sports. Again, I have no problem with NIL done the right way and the way it was intended. Selling merchandise, autograph sessions, doing a sports camp, and the like is 100% name, image and likeness. Paying a player $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000 or in some cases $1,000,000 has nothing to do with name, image and likeness. It’s paying them to come play for your school.
We live in a capitalistic society. It really isn't up to you are me to say what is the right way. You can earn this much but not that much. And let's face it, there was a lot of paying kids to go play at your school long before NIL. It's just out in the open more now.

The sacrifice equals their body and time, it's pretty clear.
I get how "I work and my employer makes money", thanks for talking to me like I'm the village idiot.
I'm glad you have your opinions but clearer you have your way of thinking and I'm glad you have strong opinions.
Have a great night and enjoy your holidays!

Actually, that would be you. I'm not upset because a player that plays on my team is leaving. That's you. I couldn't really care less. If a player doesn't want to be here or thinks he has a better opportunity elsewhere, go. You are upset because it hurts, in your mind, your fandom. I'm not that selfish. I will root for the orange whether Duce or anyone else is here. And not everyone we get in the portal will be because of a medical situation.
None of them are coming due to NIL. We aren't playing in the same league anymore. I'm not upset about Duce, I couldn't care any less about him. I don't know him. I know his name, number and position. I've hated the whole paying amateur athletes conversation because I knew it would ruin the sport. It was compounded by the free agency they set up with free transfers. I hate Pitt but I hated Addison leaving for USC even more. Thought that was a crappy move. He made his name at Pitt and he rewarded the school with a middle finger. I value loyalty and we live in a world with less and less of it. This whole system is set up to reward the elite programs that already had the corner on the market.

None of them are coming due to NIL. We aren't playing in the same league anymore. I'm not upset about Duce, I couldn't care any less about him. I don't know him. I know his name, number and position. I've hated the whole paying amateur athletes conversation because I knew it would ruin the sport. It was compounded by the free agency they set up with free transfers. I hate Pitt but I hated Addison leaving for USC even more. Thought that was a crappy move. He made his name at Pitt and he rewarded the school with a middle finger. I value loyalty and we live in a world with less and less of it. This whole system is set up to reward the elite programs that already had the corner on the market.
I didn't like the Addison to USC either. But I'm not going to get worked up about it. In life, we have very few times when we can cash in. And I'm never going to hold it against anyone that takes that opportunity when it happens for them.

The New York Mets spend more money than the Miami Marlins. Their is no salary cap in baseball.

Clemson is going to spend more money than Syracuse for NIL.

Kids should be able to make whatever money boosters or schools will pay them.
It sucks we will lose kids but these kids deserve to make whatever money can.

Go make whatever money you can.
Not sure if it's my age or the new world order but my college fandom level is not what it was. At least with pros you get multi year (usually) commitments and some form of salary cap.

The value is now based on things outside the control of the university and that is the problem. The value was derived from the tuition and associated student benefits. Now we are talking about cold hard cash from boosters and the community. So the perceived value of a employee in this case is being driven by outside factors.
1, it's not a problem.

2, the value you mention was artificially capped.

3, we're not talking about perceived value when people are shelling out real money to the student-athletes for NIL. That's actual value.

The NCAA essentially robbed kids of a legitimate source of income for a century.

This has been a needed correction. Fans not having the emotional maturity to handle it isn't a problem.

Any student-athlete receiving any NIL funds > any anxiety a fan feels because they feel weird about it.

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to transfer without penalty.

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to get paid for their work.

Be careful what you wish for.
Some fans demanded those things. Some warned of the consequences while knowing it was inevitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom