Class of 2023 - Brady Wambach (CT) FOGO to UNC | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 Brady Wambach (CT) FOGO to UNC

Got super excited when I saw this thread. Thought it was a commit thread!

Jake Spallina committing first couldn't have helped land Wambach. I know Spallina is a do-it-all middie and unlikely to be a dominant #1 college FOGO who takes all the reps but if you're Wambach do you go to Cuse where there might already be some competition for playing time in your own class, or to UNC where you get to be "the guy." Guess he made his call. I still think Gait will try to land a true FOGO in this class.

Jake Spallina committing first couldn't have helped land Wambach. I know Spallina is a do-it-all middie and unlikely to be a dominant #1 college FOGO who takes all the reps but if you're Wambach do you go to Cuse where there might already be some competition for playing time in your own class, or to UNC where you get to be "the guy." Guess he made his call. I still think Gait will try to land a true FOGO in this class.

Yep. I bet they land a "true fogo" but doubt he will be super elite for the reasons mentioned. The staff is going to do everything to keep the Spallina family happy, so if the FOGO competition is close, Jake is going to get that edge everytime.

Yep. I bet they land a "true fogo" but doubt he will be super elite for the reasons mentioned. The staff is going to do everything to keep the Spallina family happy, so if the FOGO competition is close, Jake is going to get that edge everytime.

Jake is not even the main fogo on his high school team. He can do it but I really don’t even think that’s why we recruited him. Then to act like that is what stopped us from landing this kid is even more ridiculous. This guy would start over Jake without question. He is an elite fogo recruit and Jake isn’t. You honestly think we would trot Jake out there if he isn’t the best guy in the locker room at the most important position? Any sort of pampering of the spallina family would not go anywhere near that far.

unc loaded up with a 21, 22 and have at least one kid left from sssa that'll have a year left if he wants it when he gets there. curious decision not just vs cuse. and cuse doesn't even have a top guy? or maybe they do in 22 class?

Jake is not even the main fogo on his high school team. He can do it but I really don’t even think that’s why we recruited him. Then to act like that is what stopped us from landing this kid is even more ridiculous. This guy would start over Jake without question. He is an elite fogo recruit and Jake isn’t. You honestly think we would trot Jake out there if he isn’t the best guy in the locker room at the most important position? Any sort of pampering of the spallina family would not go anywhere near that far.
Agree to disagree. I don't see another role Jake fills. He's good at several things, great at none, but best at facing off. I don't think its too far fetched to say as much as the Spallina name will attract, some will steer clear of it.

I had the same thought initially, but like wgdsr points out, UNC brings in a number of FOGOs the next few years including the number seven overall recruit in Chase Mullins this year. Not sure how kids balance potential playing time vs other things but the fogo position has to be one of the hardest to gauge. Most top guys probably want a situation where they are the guy taking every face off for four years. I think recruiting wise Syracuse put a lot of chips in with Varello and probably lost out on other kids because of it. I know Phaup has been really inconsistent but in many ways they really lucked out in finding him. But at the same time, because of Phaup, SU wasn’t able to land a transfer, since most guys at that stage don’t want to compete with a returning starter.

On the other hand, UNC and Notre Dame showed you can have a very good faceoff unit with two guys splitting a lot of the time. And Maryland needed a second stringer to keep them from getting run off the field on Memorial Day.

Anyways, faceoffs are still a big concern for me. At this point, after next year you have to hope they find a diamond in the rough, or land a transfer.

I had the same thought initially, but like wgdsr points out, UNC brings in a number of FOGOs the next few years including the number seven overall recruit in Chase Mullins this year. Not sure how kids balance potential playing time vs other things but the fogo position has to be one of the hardest to gauge. Most top guys probably want a situation where they are the guy taking every face off for four years. I think recruiting wise Syracuse put a lot of chips in with Varello and probably lost out on other kids because of it. I know Phaup has been really inconsistent but in many ways they really lucked out in finding him. But at the same time, because of Phaup, SU wasn’t able to land a transfer, since most guys at that stage don’t want to compete with a returning starter.

On the other hand, UNC and Notre Dame showed you can have a very good faceoff unit with two guys splitting a lot of the time. And Maryland needed a second stringer to keep them from getting run off the field on Memorial Day.

Anyways, faceoffs are still a big concern for me. At this point, after next year you have to hope they find a diamond in the rough, or land a transfer.

True, though almost every top team, especially in the ACC, is bringing in a top FOGO every year. UVA brings in Eldridge next year. ND has Lynch coming in this year and Gallaher next. Duke has Naso for three more years and then gets Engelke. Yale had Ball last year and Machado this year. (All these guys are IL 4/5-stars, most of them ranked). I could go on but you get the point. If you're a FOGO in the '23 class then one of Syracuse's biggest differentiators compared to these other schools was that they didn't have this incoming logjam of elite FOGOs. So them bringing in Spallina and giving him the star treatment in the first few days after recruiting opens up makes that differentiator lose a little bit of its luster. Of course that likely was not the only factor in Wambach's decision, I'm sure there were several and I certainly don't mean to attribute it entirely to Spallina. All I said was it probably didn't help, and I stand by that.

The Orange will be absolutely fine. Great '22 class and off to a solid start with the '23s. Can't win em all.

Just head a couple exits south and get the Bucktooth boys on board and 2023 will be just fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom