Braswell | Syracusefan.com

Braswell

kcsu

Living Legend
Braswell is a true dark horse. One of those players that might just come out of left field and really contribute. He is all of 6'9 possibly 6'10 is long, very fluid, has a nice stroke and can jump to the moon. Given that we dont have a true 4 on the roster i can see him getting some solid PT.
Hughes is a 2/3. Guerrier is a 3
Marek is a 4 but we will most likely need major minutes from him at the 5. So that leaves the Frosh or Bras as players that on paper can man the 4 in JBs Zone. I hope that Bras makes a huge Sophomore leap as door number 4 is wide open now that
OB is gone.

Big Bad Bobby Braswell is one of the most interesting players on the roster.

I think he's going to have some big games. My optimistic prediction is he's the next gen Damone Brown with more of a shot from the perimeter.

Last edited:
Agree with all of you about Braswell.

I wrote awhile ago that the thing that impressed me most last year was what GooseMutt said. Braswell just looked so sure of himself. Being a freshman with limited game time just made this a little unreal. In some ways he reminds me of Wes Johnson with his smooth, easy demeanor on the floor.

I'm not sure how much of a jump he needs to make as just getting more floor time to show what he can do.

When Pitino visited last fall he raved about Braswell’s potential. Don’t sleep on the kid. As a freshman, he was pretty good defensively and I think we only saw a minuscule of what he can be as an offensive player. That position may be divided up by Marek, Guerrier and Braswell.

I second everything said here about Braswell. I hope he shocks everyone with how much he can contribute, both defensively and offensively.
I also have seen some posts here that predict he will be doing a lot of riding the pine behind Guerrier, Marek, Sidibe and Edwards. I disagree with those forecasts. He is physically unlike (and appears to have greater physicality than) any of those players, and he's hard to peg into any 2/3, 3, 4, or 5 box. Have always felt that players who blur the lines/stereotypes of those positions have a great chance to do something extra and unexpected --in a positive way--when on the court.

I second everything said here about Braswell. I hope he shocks everyone with how much he can contribute, both defensively and offensively.
I also have seen some posts here that predict he will be doing a lot of riding the pine behind Guerrier, Marek, Sidibe and Edwards. I disagree with those forecasts. He is physically unlike (and appears to have greater physicality than) any of those players, and he's hard to peg into any 2/3, 3, 4, or 5 box. Have always felt that players who blur the lines/stereotypes of those positions have a great chance to do something extra and unexpected --in a positive way--when on the court.

He might be suitable to rotate through the center spot, too. Might give him another path to get on the floor.

Braswell is a true dark horse. One of those players that might just come out of left field and really contribute. He is all of 6'9 possibly 6'10 is long, very fluid, has a nice stroke and can jump to the moon. Given that we dont have a true 4 on the roster i can see him getting some solid PT.
Hughes is a 2/3. Guerrier is a 3
Marek is a 4 but we will most likely need major minutes from him at the 5. So that leaves the Frosh or Bras as players that on paper can man the 4 in JBs Zone. I hope that Bras makes a huge Sophomore leap as door number 4 is wide open now that
OB is gone.
Any old timers remember Darius Rice, 3-time All-Big East selection at Miami early this millennium? That’s the brand of player Braswell can be, if not quite the caliber. I am pumped.

Braswell x 4 > Bazley x 1.

Any old timers remember Darius Rice, 3-time All-Big East selection at Miami early this millennium? That’s the brand of player Braswell can be, if not quite the caliber. I am pumped.

Braswell x 4 > Bazley x 1.

Very presumptuous. Bazley plus a healthy Frank Howard could have meant a whole different outcome to last season.

That, and Braswell has done exactly zero thus far. Hope he plays a lot and plays well, but minutes will be tough to come by, IMO.

Braswell is a late bloomer. Didn't really get D1 attention until late in the cycle. I think he will become a major contributor down the road, just not sure it will be this coming season.

i was with this thread until the suggestion about playing center. i love the creativity and optimism though.

If Braswell is playing good defense, tipping balls, rebounding, hitting shots - then why wouldn't we try him as part of the center rotation? He's bulkier than Marek, and probably Edwards, too. I'm sure he's no smaller than Lydon was, and he brings a 3 point threat.

If Braswell is playing good defense, tipping balls, rebounding, hitting shots - then why wouldn't we try him as part of the center rotation? He's bulkier than Marek, and probably Edwards, too. I'm sure he's no smaller than Lydon was, and he brings a 3 point threat.

Isnt edwards 7’ tall? I didnt check but i think lydon was taller and heavier than braswell. Braswell is listed at 6’9”, 195 lbs on suathletics. Those really arent center measurables. Further, in regards to marek and lydon, jb said time and time again that its not ideal situation to play them there.

Isnt edwards 7’ tall? I didnt check but i think lydon was taller and heavier than braswell. Braswell is listed at 6’9”, 195 lbs on suathletics. Those really arent center measurables. Further, in regards to marek and lydon, jb said time and time again that its not ideal situation to play them there.

This ^. Braswell seems like a guy who could definitely play a role but unless were in disastrous foul trouble its hard to see him playing a second at center. First off at this point SU has 3 legitimate (at least on paper) big men for next who are natural C or PF's plus Marek who can play Center in a pinch. It's hard to have any faith in Sidibe at this point based on his injury history but between Edwards and Ajak and Marek thats 15 fouls I would go with before even thinking about playing a guy like Braswell there.

I'm not as sure about him. He is 'fearless' and does play with a level of assuredness you don't often see with someone getting so little time. But, he did what he did against scrubs/in garbage time, so i'm not sure i rate the 'accomplishment' at the same level as his superfans. He does, though, have in his favor that he didn't play like it was garbage time. He played like a starter against scrubs. He's got tools. I just worry that he's going to be forced to play power positions where he's not suited, and that will diminish his effectiveness against real ACC competition. He's like a 3 with 4 height.

I don't remember—how's his handle? Did he have a chance to even show it?

I'm not as sure about him. He is 'fearless' and does play with a level of assuredness you don't often see with someone getting so little time. But, he did what he did against scrubs/in garbage time, so i'm not sure i rate the 'accomplishment' at the same level as his superfans. He does, though, have in his favor that he didn't play like it was garbage time. He played like a starter against scrubs. He's got tools. I just worry that he's going to be forced to play power positions where he's not suited, and that will diminish his effectiveness against real ACC competition. He's like a 3 with 4 height.

He was defensive force in extended minutes against NC State when we were getting run against their starters. That said how much of that was Braswell and how much was the fact that NC State was a sloppy ass team. I think people definitely need to temper expectations as you noted as besides NC State nearly all of his PT was in garbage time. That said we could really use some depth at the 3 and Braswell taking that next step would be huge.

Will never understand why he got such little run .. easily our best non guard ball handler .. Just like AO in his first game action , you could just see he has an idea how to score

Yeah, I'm very intrigued by Bras but I'm not sure I'm exactly fired up for the Bras era either. He still falls into the 'very unproven' category. What I did like, which you did a good job of highlighting, was how well he played basketball vs. scrubs. He didn't do the BJ Johnson fire up wild threes all day thing. Kid came in and acted like a player who belonged in the real game, not the garbage minutes. Will be excited to see what he brings but I'm not sure what to expect.

His defense was jumping off the page against NC State’s starters, when he got the chance.

But offensively, I agree. I’m not sure what to make of him there yet, other than he looks to have a decent stroke and has the length and athleticism that could make him a good finisher around the rim.

Edwards is 6-10 and Braswell is 6-9. Sidibe and Marek are both 6-10. Lydon was around 6-9, I think. Braswell's weight on the official roster from last season makes him look awfully skinny, too, but when we saw him in a couple late season cameos, he looked like he had filled out some to me.

He was decisive on both ends. And he dribbled with a purpose in the half-court. I like it.
Even little things like showing good body control when going to the rim as well. Not a large body of work to go off obviously but he seemed to just "get it".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom