Bravo, Bobby Knight! Bobby's top 5 teams! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bravo, Bobby Knight! Bobby's top 5 teams!

Call me crazy but I listened to the whole thing and I didnt hear him list off any teams. Maybe I missed it.

Mike and Mike are awful BTW. Tough to take them seriously this time of the year when their show is still 98% football. They would rather talk who will be the backup QB in Buffalo than college hoops. And I love the NFL.

Has Knight covered or been to a UK game this year? If not, I bet he limited his choices to the teams and the players he's seen play.

Was he asked for an explanation?

I do recall based on Knight's stories that he had a lot of respect for UK basketball back in the days of Rupp and then Joe B. Hall. For me personally, growing up in Indiana, I've never had any respect for UK basketball. Unfortunately, UK and Davis are obviously both in the top 5 this year.

It's painful that guys like Bobby Knight with solid values are disappearing while shady 'D-League' characters like Calipari are still around. Unfortunately, it was Knight's temper that was his undoing at IU.

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."
. . .
"Very few people know this, but a kid can play the first semester as a freshman, pass six hours of anything and play in the NCAA tournament without ever attending a class in the second semester. I don't think that's right."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752725

[quote=""Very few people know this, but a kid can play the first semester as a freshman, pass six hours of anything and play in the NCAA tournament without ever attending a class in the second semester. I don't think that's right."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752725[/quote]

and become thugs(cousins), housebreakers(wall), extortionists(Davis), ballhogs(Knight) in the NBA.

The two places I'd love to see Bobby Knight do a game, Indiana and Kentucky. I bet the ratings would go through the roof..

Anyone who doesn't include Kentucky is either ignorant or has an agenda.

The two places I'd love to see Bobby Knight do a game, Indiana and Kentucky. I bet the ratings would go through the roof..
So would the security fees.

Indiana loves Bobby and they have tried like heck to get him back to Assembly Hall, but he hasn't gone back. The ice has thawed a little with a new administration but RMK is still angry with them. However, Bobby would never do a game in Rupp he is the anti-Jimmy Dykes he wouldn't drink the blue kool-aid and be the Mike Patrick for Kentucky.

Man this is board is funny. Kentucky is a top five team. The end.

Don't think too many can debate that, but many people don't consider them a college team but rather an NBA developmental team. Let's face it, players that choose Kentucky are not going there to obtain a degree, they are using Kentucky as a stepping stone to the NBA. Bobby Knight will not recognize them as a college team and I for one, agree with him.

tell that to bobby knights face
Happily. I like BK, but he's got an agenda. There's no way he doesn't know UK is a top 5 team (and the most talented in the country, at least in terms of having the most talent 1-5...talent 1-10 is us, but you'd be foolish to say our first five are more talented than theirs).

yeah but as talented as they are they are sooooooooo beatable so that translates to less talented.

yeah but as talented as they are they are sooooooooo beatable so that translates to less talented.
I hope you're drunk. That's the only way to explain how little sense that makes.

It's painful that guys like Bobby Knight with solid values are disappearing while shady 'D-League' characters like Calipari are still around. Unfortunately, it was Knight's temper that was his undoing at IU.

I have a hard time reconciling Knight's "solid values" with his history of intimidation and bullying. Wish that wasn't the case, as there is a lot to like about the man.

I have a hard time reconciling Knight's "solid values" with his history of intimidation and bullying. Wish that wasn't the case, as there is a lot to like about the man.

Solid values, for the most part, can be interpreted as "said nice things about SU" and "hated on Calipari".

Calipari is almost definitely a cheater, but as has been said, to not mention UK among the top 5 teams in the country is ridiculous.

solid
[]fm3YFFjj5y8[]

My post accounted for this.

"It's painful that guys like Bobby Knight with solid values are disappearing while shady 'D-League' characters like Calipari are still around. Unfortunately, it was Knight's temper that was his undoing at IU."

No question he had a bad temper and didn't always live up to his own values. The chair-throwing incident wasn't pretty either.

Solid values, for the most part, can be interpreted as "said nice things about SU" and "hated on Calipari".

Calipari is almost definitely a cheater, but as has been said, to not mention UK among the top 5 teams in the country is ridiculous.
As was said above, BK has an agenda when it comes to Cal and UK. He wants them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and be POd about it.

Didn't they void his final four at UMass as well? (I'm asking).
They voided it because Marcus Camby took money from an agent. Calipari wasn't implicated as part of that investigation UMass lost its final four because of Camby. Memphis on the otherhand Calipari was part of the Rose cheating.

I give Coach Knight credit for having the ba11s to speak his mind. Whether people agree with him or not isn't the point and clearly Kentucky is the most talented team in the Nation. Knight, by intentionally omitting mention of Kentucky is making a powerful statement by way of inference. ESPN is full of noodniks who carefully parse everything they say and spew out an endless stream of platitudes and accolades about how great Kentucky is all the while that program is antithetical to what collegiate basketball should be about. As has been mentioned in this thread, these kids have no intention of getting a college education whatsoever and anyone who thinks that Calapari hasn't broken the rules at every institution he has coached at is completely out of touch with reality. The fact that he hasn't been definitively pinned down for violations isn't in and of itself a vindication of impoprieties.

Clearly there is much wrong with collegiate athletics, recruiting, surrepetitious payments to players etc. and Kentucky isn't alone. But at the same time no other program stands out the way Kentucky does as being emblematic of essentially representing a subsidiary of the NBA in posing as a collegiate team while they are in fact a waiting room for the top NBA draftees. How many one and done's have there been at Syracuse? I can think of 2. Kentucky is on course to average 3 per year. With all of this considered, I applaud the fact that Knight, without so much as uttering a single word, pokes the program square in the eye. While Knight obviously has an axe to grind with Kentucky and Cal that doesn't in my opinion detract from the point that he's entitled to call them out for what they are and voice his opinion by not lending them mention with his voice at all.

I think reedny was referring to Knight's solid values in terms of running a clean program (no recruiting shenanigans, requiring his players to be accountable academically, etc.) which were indeed exemplary. His public vendetta against Calipari, while probably justified, is sort of embarrassing and a bit sad to watch.

I think reedny was referring to Knight's solid values in terms of running a clean program (no recruiting shenanigans, requiring his players to be accountable academically, etc.) which were indeed exemplary. His public vendetta against Calipari, while probably justified, is sort of embarrassing and a bit sad to watch.

Yes, this thread was about Knight calling out cheaters and academic loopholes in the NCAA system. In that regard, Knight has credibility.

His temper, while nothing to be proud of, is another issue (which got him fired, as I stated in my original post).

Call me crazy but I listened to the whole thing and I didnt hear him list off any teams. Maybe I missed it.

Mike and Mike are awful BTW. Tough to take them seriously this time of the year when their show is still 98% football. They would rather talk who will be the backup QB in Buffalo than college hoops. And I love the NFL.

I can barely stand Mike and Mike during football season, completely skip them afterwards. Like you say, its 99% football, even when College Hoops is extremely popular this time of year, and MLB will be soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom