Breaking News Lane Kiffin fired | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Breaking News Lane Kiffin fired

It sounds a lot like the circumstances I've heard described as to how Coach P was fired here.

Many? Here is the one parallel I can find:

* The decision to let Coach P go was made at halftime of a Bowl game.

Here are the differences:

* He was let go days later (not hours), and at the end of the season
* Incoming AD who had not actually started full time
* We had no time to make a hire, USC will have plenty
* Kiffin ends in a consonant, Pasqualoni a vowel.

I've heard that the decision was not really made by Dr. Gross but by some boosters or trustees who demanded that P be fired.

I've heard that the decision was not really made by Dr. Gross but by some boosters or trustees who demanded that P be fired.

And that would be true.

You think Haden was not in or lead the decision?

It's amazing how many guys get reputations as "recruiting gurus" or "offensive geniuses" and turn out to be lousy head coaches. Are there any defensive geniuses?
Monte Kiffin

And that would be true.

You think Haden was not in or lead the decision?

That's what they've been saying all day on ESPN- that boosters and other big shots forced Haden's hand.

usc couldnt have wanted the way they did the termination being so public-
might effect the choices available -some may be turned off by it

i wonder if they could grab the great guru before texas does:rolling:

LOL. I have a USC grad, and am not happy with the way this was done either. He needed to go, but yea, do it on Sunday morning. What were they trying to prove? I think there is an understory here we must not know about. Having a son who made it through USC with a major disease, and a couple of dropped semesters due to hospitalizations, I have to say this is not the USC I came to know. They were incredible with our situation. As an institution I do not like to see this giving them a bad name, because they are one of the best places I have ever had to deal with.
how's the son doing today

Pat Haden could've let Kiffin continue coaching under major fire and certain lameduckness. And Kiffin's maturity is questionable, so he likely would have said and done a stupid thing here and there under an incredibly negative environment.

That is being extremely generous.

USC hired a bad person. Lane deserves what he got and USC deserves the fallout from hiring / firing him.

It's amazing how many guys get reputations as "recruiting gurus" or "offensive geniuses" and turn out to be lousy head coaches. Are there any defensive geniuses?

Yep ... Monte Kiffin ... Wade Phillips .. Ted Cottrell ... Tony Dungy ... there are quite a few ... hell don't forget Marvin Lewis ... interestingly enough Dungy I think is the only "defensive guru" to win a Super Bowl as a head coach if I recall ... also supposedly Dave Wadnstat .. Gregg Williams of the New Orleans saga ... there are a lot out there ... oh and Scott MF Shafer ...

Greg Robinson.

Hmmm. Fitzgerald would be an excellent choice for them. Didn't know he was an alum.

Poorly worded ... I think he meant pry Fitzy away from his alma mater ... not bring Fitzy to his alma mater.

he played for Northwestern as a LB.

I misread that. I thought the poster meant he was a USC grad. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team who whipped the a&$es back to Morganpatch the last two times we played.

Do you believe we have been a better football program than WVU over the last 5-6 years?

EDIT: I actually wanted to go back and check to make sure.

BCS Rankings for WVU since 2005:

3 Top 15 rankings
Top 25 6 out of last 8 years

Not sure we should be calling any school with those results (compared to our 0 Top 25 rankings) mediocre.

That was the point. Yeah, we beat them. Great. But we weren't good enough to be in the Top 25. They did it 6 times in the last 8 years. I know you were here for this...if someone said those same results for SU were mediocre back in the P days...it would create quite a storm.

44cuse

Last edited:
Do you believe we have been a better football program than WVU over the last 5-6 years?

44cuse

5-6 years has nothing to do with it ... he is 20-11 as a head coach there since 2011 ... 1-1 in bowl games. He took over a team that was routinely a threat to go to the BCS ... his first year he rode in and took what Stewart had and put together and had a really good year ... a year where they still lost to us FWIW ... and have since been in a steady decline ... sorry 7-6 in the Big12 is by no means excellent and this year they will be lucky to get that type of record ... he is screaming towards mediocrity with a bullet. The prior 2-3 years before his arrival have no bearing on where they are now or where they are headed under Holgy ... frankly we are trending in the opposite direction and last year we started to move past them and we culminated that with a world class ass kicking in the Pinstripe ... FWIW the last WVU team that lost 6 or more games ... 1999 ... I think they are in for some rough years ahead because the type of offensive players he needs to win games in the Big 12 won't be coming to Morgantown .. and they can't play very good defense ... and its not like the Big12 is a world-beater conference ... had A&M stayed you would have 1 legit top 10 team ... OU, Texas ... Baylor ... none of them are top 10 material at this point in time ... WVU should be in better position ... not worse.

I misread that. I thought the poster meant he was a USC grad. Carry on.

Sorry for the confusion -- I absolutely meant that Fitzgerald is a Michael Wilbon University (Northwestern) alumnus.

[Let me get this out of the way: I think the world of Pat Fitzgerald and if a big-5 program can convince him to make a career out of a coaching gig, they will be a long-term player in the BCS, no matter if they are NC State, Northwestern, or USC]

Right now, he is reportedly making a little less than $2 million a year. At USC, you'd have to think he'd be in the $3.5 - $5.5 million per year range. He's 39 years old. An extra $1.5M to 3.5M per year over the long haul is RIDICULOUS money. Your grandkids will be living large of those inheritances, if that is the route you want to go. If you coach another 20 to 30 years, that's $30 to $105 million extra in the bank (pre-tax and inflation).

I have no idea what he is like personally though... so who knows?

5-6 years has nothing to do with it ... he is 20-11 as a head coach there since 2011 ... 1-1 in bowl games. He took over a team that was routinely a threat to go to the BCS ... his first year he rode in and took what Stewart had and put together and had a really good year ... a year where they still lost to us FWIW ... and have since been in a steady decline ... sorry 7-6 in the Big12 is by no means excellent and this year they will be lucky to get that type of record ... he is screaming towards mediocrity with a bullet. The prior 2-3 years before his arrival have no bearing on where they are now or where they are headed under Holgy ... frankly we are trending in the opposite direction and last year we started to move past them and we culminated that with a world class ass kicking in the Pinstripe ... FWIW the last WVU team that lost 6 or more games ... 1999 ... I think they are in for some rough years ahead because the type of offensive players he needs to win games in the Big 12 won't be coming to Morgantown .. and they can't play very good defense ... and its not like the Big12 is a world-beater conference ... had A&M stayed you would have 1 legit top 10 team ... OU, Texas ... Baylor ... none of them are top 10 material at this point in time ... WVU should be in better position ... not worse.

First of all, 5-6 absolutely does matter. We are told here that history matters all the time. So it can't be both ways.

We are mediocre, not WVU. And from where we were, mediocre is great improvement.

Everything else I agree with you.

44cuse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

coaches are tripping over themselves getting line for the USC job. SU football in 2004, not so much.

First of all, 5-6 absolutely does matter. We are told here that history matters all the time. So it can't be both ways.

We are mediocre, not WVU. And from where we were, mediocre is great improvement.

44cuse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -

I never said that we haven't been mediocre. In fact I didn't mention us at all. The truth is that Holgerson is a punk cut from the same cloth and they are trending down from where they were. He loses to Maryland and beats Okie State - perfect storm where Luck keeps him in for years and they languish just under .500.

As for us? I think our coach has more integrity in his pinky than Dana has in his whole body. We did beat them 3 years in a row mainly by out coaching them. They had better talent and we still kicked their arses.

And 5-6 does matter. They were favored in near all of those games. We were the supposed weaker team - and they came out just above .500. Yep, they are the definition if mediocre.

I don't mind calling them out, because at least from Marrone on we've been doing it the right way.

44cuse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk -

Disagree ... he said remain mediocre under Holgy ... they are there ... they are now mediocre and will be as long as he is there ... that has only been 2 full seasons ... that was the point ... I am not talking about history ... talking strictly about the state of the program under that nut job ... not trying to have it both ways ... currently they are mediocre ... and will be mediocre at best with him running the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom