Brey goes off on ACC officiating | Syracusefan.com

Brey goes off on ACC officiating

samspann1

Living Legend
If you were watching that Florida State finish he was absolutely right with that 'steal' being a pretty obvious classic reach-in call and the phantom travel on Pfluger when the game was tight. The ending when they were down one there was a bunch of contact that should have probably put them at the line. There also a couple terrible calls in the first half against as well. But to call the league out in that manner "we're a member too" and cut his presser short and walk away does seem sour grapey. Pissed at the podium and switches to a magnanimous exit giving praise and congrats to FSU out the door. Always liked Brey. We kind of do want UND to play the spoiler the rest of the (regular) season.

Last edited:
Officiating was bad - though I think the travel was right, but the T was weak. Nc state got hosed worse against Va tech.

Execution by FSU and ND at end was the most foul thing all night.

In his post-game presser, saying that the ACC holds ND’s football independence against the university.

Glad a coach went on the record about the state of ACC officiating
It is hard to have a season with a lot of losses when you are used to winning. This notion of his that the refs care about whether Notre Dame is a full member of the conference in football is pretty crazy though.

I think there are a bunch of whiny, trash talking, rotten kids on his team and if the refs are treating them unfairly, that is a far more likely reason for this

He’s come to the right conclusion... ACC refs are incompetent. But his path to getting there, bias against nd for not being a full ACC member is not right. The real answer is just that ACC refs are incompetent because college refs are incompetent. Don’t know how to call the charge/block, swallow the whistle on teams that like to muck it up while penalizing teams that try to play the game the right way, anticipate way too many calls, try to make calls where there is no need to make calls, etc...

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. Also I don’t believe there are ACC refs in hoops... don’t these guys work games in all conferences?

Watching I thought that was an awful quick 30 seconds. Reffing is horrible everywhere, but that is pretty bad. Oh well, I am not going to lose any sleep when ND loses. Plus them winning would devalue our future win over FSU

I don't know - pretty weak game at the end.

On Hubb's last drive there seems to be a Florida State player lying on the floor just straight up tripping him (because he slipped...but I'm not sure, "oooops," excuses the foul)

I think I would have been screaming foul at the end.....pretty much non-stop if that was us.

I did like Mooney's closeout of the game by firing the ball baseball style....he seemed a tad angry and may have knocked someone out.

the irish got treated pretty well at home in our win there. If anyone had a reason to complain it was SU. This FSU game they certainly got hosed on some calls. We have dealt with a good number of poorly officiated games since being in the ACC. While it feels we are picked on it is hard to somehow "prove it". It is pretty clear that in general officiating has regressed in the past decade across all sports. Whether it is the replay that is part of the cause or just the complexity of rules making the job too difficult- I don't know.

I think everyone agrees that ND got hit with questionable calls. The idea that it’s some sort of ACC agenda to punish them because their football program is independent is pretty wacky and makes him look like he forgot his tinfoil hat.

Seeing that he’s a pretty smart guy I wonder what his endgame is with these preplanned statements? Because no way was this an off the cuff rant.

I think everyone agrees that ND got hit with questionable calls. The idea that it’s some sort of ACC agenda to punish them because their football program is independent is pretty wacky and makes him look like he forgot his tinfoil hat.

Seeing that he’s a pretty smart guy I wonder what his endgame is with these preplanned statements? Because no way was this an off the cuff rant.
It quite honestly just seems like the same ole whining from Notre Dame sports we’ve all grown used to over the years from their fans, coaches, players, etc. they always think everyone is against them and that they’re some high class special royalty that is better than everyone else.

Those calls and the shot clock were brutal, good for Mike, although he could have been a bit more tactful. This will obviously not sit well for him down the road.

How would JB have reacted given the same circumstances? He would have found a more calm way to get his point across. I think he is past the press conference ref bitching and chair throwing.

Those calls and the shot clock were brutal, good for Mike, although he could have been a bit more tactful. This will obviously not sit well for him down the road.

How would JB have reacted given the same circumstances? He would have found a more calm way to get his point across. I think he is past the press conference bitching and chair throwing.
While I think his reasoning is lol-worthy, and would actually be fine if it was true (because screw their entitled football program), I probably would’ve been fine if JB made reference to us being from the north after that CJ Fair/Duke debacle.

Brey must me joking. Notre Dame has the fewest fouls called against It of any team in Division 1.

that could in part be due to the fact that ND doesn't really even try to pretend to play defense.

I don't feel sorry for ND at all, but the officiating in this game was just really bad.

IMO, the ACC newbies do get the short end of the stick more often than not when it comes to officiating, be it basketball or football.

That said, I don't know what Brey was hoping to accomplish with this rant. I'm glad that someone put it out there, though, and that it wasn't JB or Babers who did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom