Brian Kelly to LSU | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Kelly to LSU

If Notre Dame fans don’t think their program is about to take a significant step backwards, they’re in for a rude awakening.

There really are not many, to be honest.
I'm not crying. Sign Freeman and all the recruits stay. Keep Tommy Rees as OC and everything keeps running smoothly for the future, and with some help, maybe even a Natty in January.

If Notre Dame fans don’t think their program is about to take a significant step backwards, they’re in for a rude awakening.
ND will always be ND.

Who knows. But I think that Marcus Freeman will kill it at ND and the recruiting will get even better than it is now and the next two classes are in the Top 5.

There really are not many, to be honest.
Agreed. Much more consternation at OU particularly because Riley is likely to pick off some previously committed recruits. That is very unlikely with the ND/LSU situation.

I really like Freeman's potential. It's always hard to learn on the job to run your own program at a level like Notre Dame but I think he has way way much potential from a recruiting and coaching potential than many of the prior folks who failed at Notre Dame.

I really like Freeman's potential. It's always hard to learn on the job to run your own program at a level like Notre Dame but I think he has way way much potential from a recruiting and coaching potential than many of the prior folks who failed at Notre Dame.
Freeman will kill with them, let's hope it takes him until after the trip to the loudhouse to figure it all out.

You're likely to be way off the mark. ND has had several good recruiting seasons in a row and this year's crop is the best they have had in decades. According to 24/7 sports they have commitments from sixteen 4 stars, the most in the country. Overall the class is currently rated #4. Most people attribute that to Marcus Freeman. Whether it's Fickel or Freeman ND will have a good coach and a ton of talent.

You're likely to be way off the mark. ND has had several good recruiting seasons in a row and this year's crop is the best they have had in decades. According to 24/7 sports they have commitments from sixteen 4 stars, the most in the country. Overall the class is currently rated #4. Most people attribute that to Marcus Freeman. Whether it's Fickel or Freeman ND will have a good coach and a ton of talent.

Agree, they'll be just fine.

Only question about ND to me, is whether or not missing the playoffs in an 11-1 season really matters to them (assuming chalk holds this weekend, they have no path because they have no 13th game).

And if it does matter, what do they do about it? Do they schedule tougher? Do they try to get out of the ACC 5 game agreement, whenever they can? Do they (gulp) join a conference ever?

I would assume they just wait it out and see what the CFP evolves to and if it could still be an issue. They'd clearly be in a 6 team playoff this year.

And I'm well aware that TerryD is about to pop in and say every alum in the world is pulling their donations if they ever join a conference.

Only question about ND to me, is whether or not missing the playoffs in an 11-1 season really matters to them (assuming chalk holds this weekend, they have no path because they have no 13th game).

And if it does matter, what do they do about it? Do they schedule tougher? Do they try to get out of the ACC 5 game agreement, whenever they can? Do they (gulp) join a conference ever?

I would assume they just wait it out and see what the CFP evolves to and if it could still be an issue. They'd clearly be in a 6 team playoff this year.

And I'm well aware that TerryD is about to pop in and say every alum in the world is pulling their donations if they ever join a conference.
ND has made it clear that the only way they will consider joining a conference is if the CFP requires it. If they can get into the CFP without joining a conference, even if it requires them to go 12-0 to do it, ND is fine not being in a conference. And, if the CFP expands, and who doesn't think that won't happen, it would even be less likely that conference membership will be a CFP requirement and ND's chances of getting in are even greater at 11-1 in an expanded CFP.

Barstool sports has a leaked video of his speech

Two things…..Did the video cut out when they announced Bobby Petrino would be taking over or did they just leave a note in everybody’s locker?

Second, is there anything more disingenuous when a dude like that gives an “It’s not you, it’s me speech” and then proceeds to tell them that he loves each and every one of them?

Yeesh….

SUOrange44

It’s not like recruits are at risk of decomitting, and current players at risk of going to the portal after the most successful HC in the program’s history just left or anything..

Last edited:
I almost hope that someone I know schedules a wedding for whatever the date of the ND game is. Their fans are head and shoulders the worst I've ever come across and I'm assuming there will be plenty of them in the dome. There is no doubt I'm going to be heavy on the booze and winning or losing I can't imagine that is a group of people I'll be able to just ignore. They were insufferable at Yankee Stadium.

I think I would agree to going 1-11 if the 1 is boatracing ND at home.

I'm not crying. Sign Freeman and all the recruits stay. Keep Tommy Rees as OC and everything keeps running smoothly for the future, and with some help, maybe even a Natty in January.
No way they beat Georgia. Not sure anyone will.

ND has made it clear that the only way they will consider joining a conference is if the CFP requires it. If they can get into the CFP without joining a conference, even if it requires them to go 12-0 to do it, ND is fine not being in a conference. And, if the CFP expands, and who doesn't think that won't happen, it would even be less likely that conference membership will be a CFP requirement and ND's chances of getting in are even greater at 11-1 in an expanded CFP.
I think this is right. They are beholden to the rest of CFB and exist as an independent at our discretion.

I for one am glad the fans understand this dynamic and choose to be non-douchey about their place in the CFB landscape. Humble like TD Jesus!

I almost hope that someone I know schedules a wedding for whatever the date of the ND game is. Their fans are head and shoulders the worst I've ever come across and I'm assuming there will be plenty of them in the dome. There is no doubt I'm going to be heavy on the booze and winning or losing I can't imagine that is a group of people I'll be able to just ignore. They were insufferable at Yankee Stadium.

I think I would agree to going 1-11 if the 1 is boatracing ND at home.

It might be the bridge and tunnel crowd.

I went to South Bend in both 2005 and 2008 and every fan I came across was welcoming. You walk in the stadium, they're playing your fight song on the loudspeaker on that end of the stadium.

Now, how they acted toward their own team and Charlie Weis after the 2008 game? Yeah, that was a little ugly.

99 times of 100 I root against Notre Dame. But because I can't stand Brian Kelly, I think it would be hilarious if they made the playoff without him while he takes off for LSU.

Meh, not really a fair comparison. OU, though a great program, is regressing and just lost in Bedlam. ND is rising.
I don't agree that OU is regressing. Though if we go with that they are, then the guy leading the regression was the one poached for over $100M. Why does USC get credit for that?

Nope, no need to. ND football is not going to join a conference any time in the foreseeable future.

Regarding your other possibilities, ND's schedule is pretty well set for years and includes future series with Alabama, Texas A&M, Michigan and Ohio State, among others. See the link below.

There is no way to get out of the ACC five game commitment without unilaterally breaching the contract.

What is ND going to do? I think it will be to hire Marcus Freeman and kick recruiting up to the highest level.

Besides, I think that a 12 game playoff is the most likely result coming, either soon or after 2025.

It’s not like recruits are at risk of decomitting, and current players at risk of going to the portal after the most successful HC in the program’s history just left or anything..
Its not. Only one recruit has decommitted. If ND hires Marcus Freeman, all of the other recruits (who have all tweeted that they want him hired) will stay with ND.

Its not. Only one recruit has decommitted. If ND hires Marcus Freeman, all of the other recruits (who have all tweeted that they want him hired) will stay with ND.

Any sense of fallout if Luke Fickell is the choice? Or sense of risk if it's Freeman, who's young and never had a head job?

I wouldn't think so on Fickell. He seems like a good guy and obviously a proven coach. Who Freeman worked under for 4 years prior.

I wonder if Clark Lea is kicking himself for taking that Vandy role.

That’s a big if. Right now you’re without a HC.

As it relates to this year I think they know they don't have much of a beef unless chaos erupts this weekend. The Cinci loss blocks them out plus the close wins against Toledo, FSU and VaTech don't help either. Just don't have many high quality wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom