Brian Kelly to LSU | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Kelly to LSU

It’s not like recruits are at risk of decomitting, and current players at risk of going to the portal after the most successful HC in the program’s history just left or anything..
And it's not like those recruits will be heading in droves down to Baton Rouge to follow that HC... NOT.

It always seems to me that Brian Kelly's teams are successful...

... mostly in spite of Brian Kelly. Not because of him.

I don't see anything amazing he does.
He's clearly not remotely a 'player's coach' - I think they all despise him.

He did OK at CMU - but they've been better (at times) since he left.
He kinda put Cincy on the map - but they're even better now.
ND is ND.
LSU is LSU.

Is Brian Kelly's great coaching acumen really going to be a difference-maker at programs that are routinely in the Playoff discussion most years??

This isn't a real world job where you control the conversation, give 2 weeks notice and transition stuff. There's no good way to depart.

Just tell them you loved coaching them, you're leaving for a better opportunity, and wish them the best of luck in their future NFL or other careers. And tell them you'll be a reference for any one of them, in any capacity.

I probably wouldn't make them come to the football facility at 7 am, but that's the world we live in. You can't compete against social media. Guys like Thamel and others just have too many sources.

If Notre Dame fans don’t think their program is about to take a significant step backwards, they’re in for a rude awakening.
Where do you think their program is going? I despise Nd but they are still Nd.

This isn't a real world job where you control the conversation, give 2 weeks notice and transition stuff. There's no good way to depart.

Just tell them you loved coaching them, you're leaving for a better opportunity, and wish them the best of luck in their future NFL or other careers. And tell them you'll be a reference for any one of them, in any capacity.

I probably wouldn't make them come to the football facility at 7 am, but that's the world we live in. You can't compete against social media. Guys like Thamel and others just have too many sources.
I guess I’m outdated once again, he left Cinn when they were undefeated and didn’t coach them in bowl game, to me that’s a ——-k. His interviews always confirm my opinion, and now his team still has an outside shot of a playoff and he deserts them , to me that’s a ——-k. Hope he ends up getting run out of Baton Rouge.

Where do you think their program is going? I despise Nd but they are still Nd.
I don’t expect them to be #6 in the nation anymore. I expect them to struggle to remain in the top 25, like they were before BK. 6-8 wins with a hard SOS every year. Not right away, but unless they land another amazing HC I think they will revert back to that. People underestimate how good Kelly really is.

Nothing about ND is mediocre
FSU is going thru a low time, USC is going thru a low Time, Michigan has been down for a while now, Texas after Mac Brown has floundered. ND is no stronger than those programs. They are going to flounder now too.

956C7147-672B-41A9-BBA1-AA0F74A5C211.jpeg

Fickell said no thanks and every other coach who could lead ND to an NC said no thanks.

There was no search, nobody turned them down, this has been in the works since the moment Kelly resigned.

It all took less than two days. OC Tommy Rees and strength coach Matt Balis both turned down Kelly's offer to go to LSU and have agreed to remain at ND.

Only two or three ND assistants are going to end up agreeing to follow Kelly.

Did Oklahoma panic or whiff by hiring Lincoln Riley ?? Did Ohio State do likewise by hiring Ryan Day ??

Georgia with Kirby Smart, etc.. ??

Freeman is one of the most highly thought of young coaches in the country and is a dynamic recruiter.

Ironically, ND outbid LSU last January for Marcus Freeman as DC.

Marcus Freeman recruited more 5 stars on defense in the past 10 months than ND signed since 2014, total.

Almost all of ND's recruiting class posted that they wanted Freeman hired. Many of the current players and former players did too.

The fifth ranked recruiting class was at stake, as well as potential transfers. ND didn't want to wait a month on Fickell when they all thought that they had their man on campus.

Last edited:
That’s a big if. Right now you’re without a HC.
Marcus Freeman will officially be named the next HC within the next 12 hours or so.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom