Brian Kelly to LSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Kelly to LSU

Nah. He thought his talent was a notch below a PSU/MSU and he wouldn't run through the ACC and Stanford/USC forever.

If they made the playoffs this year which they might I like Iowa and Houston to win this weekend its another curb stomping. Lose 2 games and the fans hate you.

This is leaving while his stock is at its highest.

That said from afar if its an 8 team playoff and you have no CCG that you can lose ND has the easiest path of anyone.

The ACC isn't that bad I'm shocked that the league was unable to take any games off Brian Kelly recently. Off the top of my head I can only think of Clemson and NC State in a hurricane beating him.
ND only lost one regular season game versus the ACC since 2016.

Miami was the only ACC team to beat ND (2017) in a regular season game during that time period.

I don't think he can recruit the south.

If he was stepping into a loaded LSU team that lost its coach to the NFL he'd be a great pick. But he has to rebuilt that program. Whos the QB next year Brad Johnson's kid who is horrible?

The days of going up against inferior coaches every week are likely over.

Saban, Pittman, Harsins, Kiffen, Fisher every year is a murderers row.
I don’t know enough about the state of SEC teams next season but this is the first I’ve heard of LSU being in a rebuild next season. In fact I’ve heard the opposite, that they are loaded with high level recruits.

Money > National Championship. Kelly is from Everett MA. A place where there's no money.

Probably sat down at his table and realized how much life altering money he was getting at LSU.
How much does an incremental $2.5-$3M alter your life when you’re already making ~$7M?

Only way this would make sense to me is if Kelly believed ND boosters or admin were looking to move on sooner rather than later (sincerely doubt that).

It’s some combo of ego and greed if nothing was broken between him and the admin/boosters.

This whole thing about Brian Kelly's exit rings familiar and it really is not his fault. It is college football's doing, its Wild Wild West mentality of one-upmanship. It can be ugly at times, but simultaneously, it is also what makes it damn awesome.

Kelly was named ND's HC on Dec. 9, 2009, just 4 days after his U.Cincinnati team won the last big game in the history of the Big East, 45-44, at #15 Pitt (which was 9-2 at the time). He left when Cincy was 12-0. Three weeks before the Bearcats were to play for an informal piece of the National Title as they were undefeated and playing #5 UF in the Sugar Bowl (undefeated Bama and Texas played a wholly forgettable National Title game on Jan. 10 in the Rose Bowl, The Tide won 31-7).

So, please don't feel bad for Notre Dame in all of this. And you may not like Brian Kelly, and I certainly get that, but he's just playing by the rules, or perhaps more appropriate, the lack thereof.

Last edited:
I don’t know enough about the state of SEC teams next season but this is the first I’ve heard of LSU being in a rebuild next season. In fact I’ve heard the opposite, that they are loaded with high level recruits.
They are always loaded everywhere but QB.

I guess if Kelly thinks he can get himself a good QB then why not go for it.

They are like Ohio State not having to share their state with anyone.

How much does an incremental $2.5-$3M alter your life when you’re already making ~$7M?

Only way this would make sense to me is if Kelly believed ND boosters or admin were looking to move on sooner rather than later (sincerely doubt that).

It’s some combo of ego and greed if nothing was broken between him and the admin/boosters.

They signed him for what, 9 years. That's life altering money to ride into retirement with. Some people have Depression (as in Great Depression) mentality even when they come into money. People feel like opportunities can be taken away very quickly and the burn rate starts up.

Brian Kelly may be of that ilk where once LSU threw guaranteed money at him he pounced.

We're simple animals at our core. This was a no brainer for his family i would gather

At Notre Dame, Kelly and any other coach has 2 strikes against them: 1. They can't just recruit any players they want, they have to be high level scholar athlete. 2. When you have a really strong team and think you could beat any of the other top programs for the NC, like this year, you can be excluded from the playoffs because the smug morons want to stay indy and you don't get that extra boost from a conference championship game. Now, because of their arrogance, they're losing about the best coach they've ever had or at least could get in this era and their entire program is going to wobble and maybe fall into a down time. All the top coaches are aware of these facts.

They signed him for what, 9 years. That's life altering money to ride into retirement with. Some people have Depression (as in Great Depression) mentality even when they come into money. People feel like opportunities can be taken away very quickly and the burn rate starts up.

Brian Kelly may be of that ilk where once LSU threw guaranteed money at him he pounced.

We're simple animals at our core. This was a no brainer for his family i would gather
I see both of your points. I read that his net worth as of this year is $30m. If he were to invest that in an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 he would be making around $250k a year on interest alone, without even touching the principal. So either way he is set up for life. At this point we are talking legacy wealth.

It doesn't, It improves your kids-kids lives 20 years from now. It's generational wealth. There is no loyalty at any level of major college football. University, Boosters, AD, coaches, players ALL now play a roll

I see both of your points. I read that his net worth as of this year is $30m. If he were to invest that in an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 he would be making around $250k a year on interest alone, without even touching the principal. So either way he is set up for life. At this point we are talking legacy wealth.
if you have 30 million in the bank you can spend 1-2 million a yr and live for 30-40 yrs on that alone. only your kids will care if you have any left and thats only if you live to be 90..

People with money want to keep making money. Is he divorced, does he have medical issues in his family, does he own 10 homes, etc. People need cash flow. Who knows what his situation is.

I think he left for money. ND is a great job. He obviously wanted more cash

if you have 30 million in the bank you can spend 1-2 million a yr and live for 30-40 yrs on that alone. only your kids will care if you have any left and thats only if you live to be 90..
That would be very irresponsible lol but yes, one could do that. Wealthy people tend to be conservative with their wealth though. Either way, the point is he has more money than he can reasonably need in his lifetime. I still think this is about LSU having better recruiting chances and a higher chance of winning a NC.

You can live off the interest or investments and turn over more than that after you die. Like I said, it's generational wealth. Hedge fund guys will be chomping at the bit

Brian Kelly has nothing left to prove at Notre Dame. His winning percentage is a thing of beauty. Now it’s time to play with the big dogs on an even playing field. I definitely think this was a football decision.

ND only lost one regular season game versus the ACC since 2016.

Miami was the only ACC team to beat ND (2017) in a regular season game during that time period.
Probably don't feel like do an Irish jig all over the internet now that you've had ice water thrown on you, huh?

Probably don't feel like do an Irish jig all over the internet now that you've had ice water thrown on you, huh?
I don't think Terry is in the mood to come on and troll about how Notre Dame independence is some transcendent glory that can never be given up now that it has blown their program to smithereens. Good luck trying to replace a once in a generation legend coach, Brian Kelly, could he have been more of a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Money > National Championship. Kelly is from Everett MA. A place where there's no money.

Probably sat down at his table and realized how much life altering money he was getting at LSU.

He's probably made over 50 million as is. Won't alter his life but his kids and their great grand children will love him for it. But then again, Brian Kelly is such an @hole he probably will take it with him.

Last edited:
New report out this afternoon, Brian Kelly spoke to his ND team this morning NOT for 11 minutes. It was less than 2 minutes.

Brian Kelly is a good coach no matter the schedule that ND puts out. They are hunted yearly and get everyone's best game. You can paint it anyway you want but he's been their best coach since Holtz and it's not even close. He's won 10 games 5 years in a row.

LSU isn't a dumb program. They got a guy they know can recruit, win, and manage a football team.
Not just $ - I think he plateaued at “good enough to get there but not good enough to win it all” and needs the extra recruiting bump from the very tip top of the $EC

Not just $ - I think he plateaued at “good enough to get there but not good enough to win it all” and needs the extra recruiting bump from the very tip top of the $EC
Bingo. Best winning record in Notre Dame of all time, and still can’t get over that last hurdle. Just imagine the names of the ND HC of the past that he has surpassed. It’s staggering. He has one last thing to play for, and LSU gives him the best chance to get it.

I smellin pods on the SEC. aTm,UT,MZ,OU. LSU,ARK,OMiss,MSU. Bama,Aub,Vols,Vandy, UK,USC,UGA,FLA. LSU is in a easy pod.

Exactly, as SU fans this concept is entirely foreign to us but these elite programs are running on expectation levels that are far beyond what we even dream of. I’m not saying I agree with it, but it’s definitely a thing. Look no further than the SEC for example.
Is Clemson experiencing regression?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom