Brian Ward Fired | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Ward Fired

Pointing out the human element and that some kids didn't love that their primary recruiter is gone is hardly clinging.
What do you expect them to say? "Thank god they finally got rid of him?" Even if a couple flipped, we're not exactly clinging to any 4-stars... and the class jewel committed after learning the news.

What do you expect them to say? "Thank god they finally got rid of him?" Even if a couple flipped, we're not exactly clinging to any 4-stars... and the class jewel committed after learning the news.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for, Franco. I don't think anyone is arguing it was a bad move, but pointing out that it's a complicated, fluid process that has an effect on your current recruits is valid. I know you aren't happy with the class, but that doesn't mean they don't matter and I'm not sure losing some of the kids you do have is the right play.

It’s telling that our current class jewel would be one of the lowest rated recruits for Clemson and Florida State. While those two schools historically well above Syracuse stature, we also are in their division and play them every year. Honestly we are recruiting at a level similar to bottom P5 schools.

It’s telling that our current class jewel would be one of the lowest rated recruits for Clemson and Florida State. While those two schools historically well above Syracuse stature, we also are in their division and play them every year. Honestly we are recruiting at a level similar to bottom P5 schools.
And that’s why we need to hire more assistants who can recruit above our current level. And that means we’ll have to be willing to pay more.

Perhaps you hadn’t noticed?
With the very notable exception of last year, we ARE a bottom P5 school, and have been for nearly TWO DECADES.

it’s gonna take more than 1 really good season to turn that around on the recruiting front.

And - if your benchmark is “recruit as well as FSU and Clemson”, then prepare for a lifetime of disappointment.

Perhaps you hadn’t noticed?
With the very notable exception of last year, we ARE a bottom P5 school, and have been for nearly TWO DECADES.

it’s gonna take more than 1 really good season to turn that around on the recruiting front.

And - if your benchmark is “recruit as well as FSU and Clemson”, then prepare for a lifetime of disappointment.
I know our football history. It’s the main reason why I dislike the Rutgers Dumpster Fire thread. Folks, in football, we are more similar to Rutgers than we are to Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Penn St

Last edited:
I know our football history. It’s the main reason why I dislike the Rutgers gigantic thread. Folks, in football, we are more similar to Rutgers than we are to Pittsburgh and West Virginia and Penn St

Um, OK? Bipolar much?

During Ward’s tenure we brought in Trill, Cisco, Robinson, Jones, Lee K, Nunn, Stritz, Richards, Linton, Iffy and Kinsler. All arguably impact recruits that were improvements from the past. Ward couldn’t prove it on the field and got let go, it had to happen. Hope we seize this as an opportunity to improve our defense and continue building on recruiting momentum.

I know our football history. It’s the main reason why I dislike the Rutgers Dumpster Fire thread. Folks, in football, we are more similar to Rutgers than we are to Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Penn St

Now you’ve lost it. Historically - we are much more in the Pitt/WVU/BC category than Rutgers. They truly are in their own, awful category.

What if I told you every offensive player is willing to die on a hill for Lynch? (that's been my understanding, all along) Would that change your opinion?

I'm lucky to know a bunch on kids on the team. Lynch developed Conway, Roberts, Adams, Heckel, Servais. Our 10 win guys. He's not coaching those guys, right now. He's also sharing OC duties with HCDB. They are Baber's calls, too. Y'all have no idea how much they'll fight for him. He's not coaching those guys, right now. Lynch is a solution, not a problem. He has a way with bringing out the best in people. I wanna see that, again.
This is an interesting insight. Thank you for sharing.

I assume you mean by "he's not coaching those guys right now" that Cavanaugh is "coaching those guys right now."

In fairness, a lot of fans near me quit after we got blitzed in the second quarter. My thought is that any quitting happened (for fans or for the players) after BC’s quick scores put the game out of reach, and after seeing our offense respond with three 3 and outs. Don’t think the ineptness to that point was caused by lack of trying.

Yes. I completely agree.
The offense's ineptitude made the D lay down.
They knew we weren't going to win, and it was only the 2nd quarter.
I can't imagine what it's like going to practice on this team right now. Practicing on a crap team is a very tough, not very enjoyable experience.

they didn’t “quit”.

So you think their "best effort" gives up 44 points and 500 yards in the first half to a .500 team?

If that's the case, then our talent on D is terrible.

But wait, it's not. We have an All American in the secondary and a handful of very promising players. We have quality defensive ends who are likely to be drafted.

Yes, we have some holes, but the defense should not be remotely this bad. It's supposed to be the strength of the team this year.

So you think their "best effort" gives up 44 points and 500 yards in the first half to a .500 team?

If that's the case, then our talent on D is terrible.

But wait, it's not. We have an All American in the secondary and a handful of very promising players. We have quality defensive ends who are likely to be drafted.

Yes, we have some holes, but the defense should not be remotely this bad. It's supposed to be the strength of the team this year.

there’s a difference between this post and the word “quit”.

I agree. He would have helped and not using Richards isn’t helping either.

Yeah...Richards has good ACC size and something has to be up (technique/knowledge) with his lack of snaps.

Yeah...Richards has good ACC size and something has to be up (technique/knowledge) with his lack of snaps.
As I always say, try him at Mike could it be any worse really. What did we lose. Someone on here told me Williams and army had a good game. They had a lot of tackles. wHAT in the heck. They had A lot of 5-10 yd gain tackles. What’s the difference at that point. Lol kills me

I remember when BC put 3 WR's to the right (one came went in motion from the left to right and was in position before the snap) and there was no one of the left and the RB ran easily for a TD untouched. I don't know who was on D that made that mistake on that side but wow, it was like watching pop warner football.

Okay. Fill us in. You're saying that was their top effort?

It's hard to just label everyone. You can watch the film and clearly see there are some guys not nearly giving 100% on some plays.

You can see some guys just doing things that really made no sense. I'm not going to say Evan Foster wasn't out there trying, but you talk about a player who literally had no idea what he was supposed to do, watch him on those play action passes.

I don't know where they go from here. Firing the DC midseason sends a big message. Will younger guys step it up as an audition? Will seniors check out? Even though we don't really know this, it doesn't feel like there's enough leadership on this team. Will someone step up? Will it matter?

And what of the staff? There has to be a few of those guys that are nervous. I can't imagine Dino pulled them all in and said everyone's safe, it was just him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom