Bringing first timers. Pitt or Clemson? | Syracusefan.com

Bringing first timers. Pitt or Clemson?

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
So I've been to the Dome probably over a 100 times. Had football seasons with my father throughout the 90's and the first couple years of the 2000's. Have been to at least 2-3 hoops games for the better part of 25 years. I love the Carrier dome and have experienced the highs and lows there as I have grown up with it.

This season I will be bringing out a few friends of mine that have never been to the Carrier Dome for football (Only the one has even been there for hoops). I want them to have the best possible experience. There are two games we can pull off. Pitt October 7th and Clemson October 13th. I had Bills season tickets with these guys and they are used to the raucous environment pre, during and post game you experience at the Ral...New Era Field.

On one hand the Clemson game is intriguing because it's the defending champs and, at games start at least, I envision the dome being like it was in the 90's. Special. When that place was rocking it was as loud as any Bills game I have been too. The day leading up to the game should be awesome, tailgate, bars, hype, etc...But... I could see us getting pasted. Granted the chance to be there for a Nebraska like upset would be awesome even if it's not likely.

On the other hand Pitt should be a competitive game. The tickets on stubhub are half the price. But what type of environment will it be inside that Dome (sadly I have only made it to a few games the last 10 years, a few of which were somewhat depressing seeing a half filled building). I want these guys to come out of there thinking "The SU football experience is pretty cool!". The game could and likely will be something like a noon kick off which erases the lead up the Clemson game would provide.

I'm so on the fence right now and would love anyone's thoughts to help persuade me.

Electric atmosphere/Day leading up to the game/probable ugly result vs Competitive game/cheaper tickets/subdued environment?

Go Cuse

I think Pitt is better for a few reasons...

Saturday.

Game last year.

True rivalry game

Clemson is cool as it's the defending champs but I have a lot of memories for Pitt/Syracuse games, so I am biased I guess lol

Reactions: FAL
Pittsburgh--we have a better chance to put up a helluva lot of points. Also better chance for nicer weather even though there is only a week's difference. Definitely a rivalry game as pointed out previously.

I went to the 2013 Clemson game. 48,000. Marshall Street was alive before the game. Buzz in the air. Crowd was rocking before the game. Then Clemson scored like 3 touchdowns in the first 5 minutes of the game.

I vote Pitt.

The problem is the unknown on game times. Hate that as an out of towner with an accelerated alcohol problem on SU football weekends (what else are we supposed to do all day, tour the city?).

Pitt is always a lock for the Noon 30 slot. And that means a fairly sleepy half empty Dome, even if a college basketball game breaks out like last year.

But last year, I went to the Friday night game, and we were down 21-0 while I was still drinking my first beer. I don't drink them all that slow.

I'd probably lean Clemson though and hope for the miracle given all their losses on offense, even though their DL is probably going to have Dungey in the locker room before halftime again.

The problem is the unknown on game times. Hate that as an out of towner with an accelerated alcohol problem on SU football weekends (what else are we supposed to do all day, tour the city?).

Pitt is always a lock for the Noon 30 slot. And that means a fairly sleepy half empty Dome, even if a college basketball game breaks out like last year.

But last year, I went to the Friday night game, and we were down 21-0 while I was still drinking my first beer. I don't drink them all that slow.

I'd probably lean Clemson though and hope for the miracle given all their losses on offense, even though their DL is probably going to have Dungey in the locker room before halftime again.

Agree, simply put, the casual cuse fb fan shows up for the big name. Very good chance there will be 30k for pitt. They dont travel well. There will be a guaranteed 40k for clemson, even if we suck at that point. Clemson fans are fun, too. I brought a buddy up from Tallahassee for the FSU game last season and he was flabbergasted, loved the dome. Loved the town. He attends every FSU home game and has been to other ACC roadies, said the dome is right up there.

Pitt. Bad blood and a chance to win.

If you care more about the game atmosphere than the outcome of the game, I would vote Clemson. The two times the Tigers have come to the Dome have been great college football environments - from the pregame scene to the postgame scene, even if the good guys came out on the losing end.

Are you heading out of town immediately after the game? If not...and you have a motel in Cuse...I'd go to the Clemson game. I'm optimistic we'll be 3-2 at worst, 4-1 at best. This game will be national TV and have 42-43k...if we keep it close the fans will stay (well except for our students). The game will be over by 11ish...and Armory/Marshall St will be rocking. If they've been to Bills games they shouldn't get scared away if Cuse loses by 3 TDs.

Chip is correct...about a 85% chance the Pitt game is a nooner on ESPNU or a Noon thirty with the NC based ACC buffoons.

Awesome points all around. Still going back and forth. Looking on stub hub I'm looking at about $73 a ticket after fees compared to about $36 for Pitt. That might come into play. We dropped our Bills seasons this year (6 year run) but still intend to do 2-3 games so economics comes into play. It's not as if anyone would not pay up but I'm fronting and 150 is easier than 300 for me.

We would be driving back after the Clemson game, maybe stick around a bit if the Pitt game is as early as we'd all guess...I guess it comes down to what I fear more. Dead Dome or blowout.

Awesome points all around. Still going back and forth. Looking on stub hub I'm looking at about $73 a ticket after fees compared to about $36 for Pitt. That might come into play. We dropped our Bills seasons this year (6 year run) but still intend to do 2-3 games so economics comes into play. It's not as if anyone would not pay up but I'm fronting and 150 is easier than 300 for me.

We would be driving back after the Clemson game, maybe stick around a bit if the Pitt game is as early as we'd all guess...I guess it comes down to what I fear more. Dead Dome or blowout.
Wouldn't say it'll be a dead dome even with a smaller crowd. Still can get rocking with one if the games close.

Guess it depends on how die hard Orange your friends are. If they will descend into a week long depression after an ugly loss go with Pitt. Not saying we can't shock the world or give Clemson a game, just saying the talent gap is pretty substantial and there is the potential for a one-sided result. If they are out for a good time, great tailgate (I'm cooking for the Fine Mess crew that week), and general atmosphere go Clemson - particularly since Pitt will likely be a nooner. IF we can come into the Clemson game 5-1 (not at all unlikely) there will be a national level build up to this one.

id go Pitt.

college football is Saturday.

especially Saturday morning tailgates.

get there at 8AM and start drinking then.

be done with most of your food by 10:30.

this should give you another 90mins or so to slam as many more beers as you wish..

Cuse should be 4-1 and they should be 3-2...which makes it look good on paper.

and this year we make our late 3s and FTs and win the damn game.

it will make everyone super excited to watch the Clemson game on Friday...and then you can turn it off by 830 and go to a movie with your night still in front of you.

Oh Lord

I suggest Pitt as well. More likely to see a win there.

Saw us get clobbered by Clepson in 13', they took the energy out of the crowd in the 1st 5 minutes or so of the game. The board tailgate was excellent though.

This is a catch 22. Pitt will be a competitive game, we have a real chance of winning. But the atmosphere will not be that electric as stated. Clemson on the other hand will probably be a stomp fest but by god we win that game your ganna be part of history! Itll seriously be a night you will remember for the rest of your life.

You need 3 tickets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom