Broken Approach needs to change | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Broken Approach needs to change

He committed to us Monday night. That is a fact.
This is murky waters. Battle verballed to Mich and then changed his mind. If Greenberg or JB or anyone else can provide actual specifics on what uk, cal, or www might have done wrong- Would love to hear it. Until then i would assume the green recruitment roughly parallels the Battle recruitment...ie its a tough world out there

i don't think JB really understands recruiting anymore or even wants to learn the new game this far along into his storied career.
quade green doesn't hurt us as bad as say stephon marbury. marbury said he was definitely coming here for 2 years. quade was always question mark.

Meh--I don't see Marbury as that big of a loss. We had near perfect chemistry in 1996, with Z at the helm. We probably don't go to the championship game with Starbury gunking up the works.

au contraire mon frere . put marbury and foyle on that team and we win hands downs. you've got to be the first dude ever to pick laz over starbury.
i know the coaches didn't !

Meh--I don't see Marbury as that big of a loss. We had near perfect chemistry in 1996, with Z at the helm. We probably don't go to the championship game with Starbury gunking up the works.
Would have to agree in so much as its a crapshoot. Imo the 89 team had waayyy more talent than the 96 team, even if SM was on it. That team didnt go to FF, but the 96 team did, with no SM. Its a crapshoot

Imo this yrs team is much better than last years team. Doesnt in any way shape or form guarantee we go to FF this year...obviously

I would guess that coach's less than enthusiastic public comments about his players choosing to go pro early are not helping.

That may be a case where it's better for him to have very honest conversations behind closed doors, and publicly put on a much better show of support.

au contraire mon frere . put marbury and foyle on that team and we win hands downs. you've got to be the first dude ever to pick laz over starbury.

Marbury was a terrific talent, who was also a headcase--as proven by every stop he made along the way, collegiately and professionally. It was addition by subtraction not having him on the team.

Now you're adding Foyle into this fantasy concoction of yours?

All we know is Laz went to a FF. Did SM?

and one went lottery . one didn't get drafted. talent.

I'll 100% concede that Marbury was way more talented than Lazarus Sims. But for all of his natural ability, he never went to the final four during his one season of college ball, and caused all sorts of problems for his coaches / teammates along the way. And he wouldn't have quarterbacked us there, either, had he come here. Headcase.

one can only speculate on game results but let's all agree on who was the better player. by far . clearly jb thought so.

one can only speculate on game results but let's all agree on who was the better player. by far . clearly jb thought so.

Irrelevant. What I said was that we wouldn't have made the championship game with a nutjob like Marbury ruining the team's perfect chemistry. And apparently you don't think so either, which is why you added in Foyle to the mix.

I may have missed it but since the Quade thread is locked and I haven't seen it posted anywhere. There was a poster in the Green thread that said once the decision had been made people would be upset with how this went down. I haven't been able to find that post in the thread since there are so many. Does anyone know what I am referring to? Any insight?

Irrelevant. What I said was that we wouldn't have made the championship game with a nutjob like Marbury ruining the team's perfect chemistry. And apparently you don't think so either, which is why you added in Foyle to the mix.

you don't know that. nobody does. what we do know is that marbury was a superior pg. that is a fact. my opinion is that we win it all.

you don't know that. nobody does. what we do know is that marbury was a superior pg. that is a fact.

Nope. I only know what happened. And what likely WOULDN'T have happened if Marbury had come here instead of GT. Here's what we DO know: for all of his talents, everywhere he went he wore out his welcome and coaches and teammates alike couldn't wait to get rid of him, because he was too much of a headcase to put up with, and he got traded numerous times because he was more trouble than he was worth.

We lucked out, given how 1996 unfolded. It's not like Marbury would have stuck around to have an impact beyond that, either -- so things worked out for the best.

Last edited:
We need this kid. My co-workers son plays HS ball and I got to see this kid this past weekend. Wow...is all I can say. He told me Mullins was out here a couple months ago looking at him. Jordan Brown (2018)...6'10 and smooth as butter.

jordan brown basketball - Bing video

well he was an nba allstar. but things worked out ok . we lost to kentucky. laz had himsellf a great season as a 4th yr fill in for the player who got away.

See this is where the problem is. It is not a fact that SM was a better POINT GUARD. All you can say with much certainty is he was a better player. For all you know he was drafted for his scoring ability and not for his actual ability to quarterback a team. And that goes to RFs point. Yes SM was the better player, but my opinion was is- ill take Laz as the PG of that team. SM had talent around him and dint even make elite 8

See this is where the problem is. It is not a fact that SM was a better POINT GUARD. All you can say with much certainty is he was a better player. For all you know he was drafted for his scoring ability and not for his actual ability to quarterback a team. And that goes to RFs point. Yes SM was the better player, but my opinion was is- ill take Laz as the PG of that team. SM had talent around him and dint even make elite 8

Agreed. Marbury was a chump who was more trouble than he was worth. But I hear he's having a fine fourth career in China, after exhausting all of his NBA options, and nobody would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

It's a shame that he didn't come to SU, so that we could have gone to the sweet 16 instead of making it to the national championship game.

We need this kid. My co-workers son plays HS ball and I got to see this kid this past weekend. Wow...is all I can say. He told me Mullins was out here a couple months ago looking at him. Jordan Brown (2018)...6'10 and smooth as butter.

jordan brown basketball - Bing video
Looks good! I say we recruit him for four years, no one else, so that we can lose him to UK/Duke last minute!!!

Agreed. Marbury was a chump who was more trouble than he was worth. But I hear he's having a fine fourth career in China, after exhausting all of his NBA options, and nobody would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

It's a shame that he didn't come to SU, so that we could have gone to the sweet 16 instead of making it to the national championship game.

Did you ever reveal what happened with Quade? I had to go back and read but you said something about having a hard time sticking their heads in the sand after this goes down. I was interested in what that meant

I think JB is losing his desire to recruit. We let a lot of good players just walk away this cycle because they were too far away, etc. It was like we just didn't want to work hard enough to get them.

you're crazy

I would guess that coach's less than enthusiastic public comments about his players choosing to go pro early are not helping.

That may be a case where it's better for him to have very honest conversations behind closed doors, and publicly put on a much better show of support.
Not a factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom