Brutal si.com "Busting Brackets" JB article | Syracusefan.com

Brutal si.com "Busting Brackets" JB article

Lot of anger in that article, must be a fan of the team. He rips MCW pretty bad in there too. I am one who believes any time a team struggles the coach deserves some of the blame, and te players deserve some. Nt sure why a lot of people feel it has to fall on one or the other.

Evan Williams

Evan Williams is the senior editor of Busting Brackets. A graduate of Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Public Communications, Williams hosted a caller-driven post-game radio show following every SU football, men's basketball and lacrosse game on 88.3 FM WAER. He also covered the men's basketball team during the 2009-10 season as the beat reporter for thenewshouse.com. Williams is the sports director at Rockland County Radio (WRCR) and formerly managed the sports page for the station's website, contributing all content and related material.

Mostly spot on, though the anger and disgust drip off of every word.

The team and the coaching staff all deserve blame. JB deserves a lot for the lack of improvement, lack of overall skill and the inability to adjust and improve during the year. It's been a rough month.

Carter-Williams has become the poster child for the jump-pass giveaway.

Ouch.

Have to say his comments about recruiting guys who work for the zone is something I've heard others on here say and I have to agree.

Couple things:

1. Most of this is fact. There are only a few points there that are questionable, like JS not developing (I think he has), and JB recruiting one dimensional players (he leans to a body type but these are McD AA players- they have talent).
2. The writer coming from Newhouse is not a surprise. JB reserves special scorn for student reporters. He's unprofessional with all local media but he is downright nasty to the SU students who dare to learn sports journalism and help cover the team. Is it any wonder that these same kids, when they get real jobs in sports media, would gun for him?
3. Frankly, I find the article to be a little unfair but also refreshing in that somebody is wanting to see some accountability out of the HOFer. It's amazingly rare.

Ouch.

Have to say his comments about recruiting guys who work for the zone is something I've heard others on here say and I have to agree.

Where do you think he got them from? :D

Mostly spot on, though the anger and disgust drip off of every word.

The team and the coaching staff all deserve blame. JB deserves a lot for the lack of improvement, lack of overall skill and the inability to adjust and improve during the year. It's been a rough month.
yep not sure what % of each of the blame to ascribe, but as I was saying yesterday when an SU team is lacking in leadership and thus performance, you need a "pattern interrupt" (an old motivation term for a major needed change) that need come from the top in terms of some motivational ploy that comes off in a positive way to the kids. Here's hoping the old dog coach learns some new tricks.....

Ouch.

The jump pass turnover AGAIN yesterday was unbelievable. He had a lane to the basket it seemed with guys inside to dump off to or lob to. Or a floater himself. He should be forced to run laps or something in practice if he does it in a game. I have never seen any good PG on any team do that so much. Why is he doing that? Is it not being addressed?

The jump pass turnover AGAIN yesterday was unbelievable. He had a lane to the basket it seemed with guys inside to dump off to or lob to. Or a floater himself. He should be forced to run laps or something in practice if he does it in a game. I have never seen any good PG on any team do that so much. Why is he doing that? Is it not being addressed?

While it was a really dumb play, James did nothing to help MCW on that one. Didn't go strong for the ball at all. But... the pass NEVER should have happened.

What's funny is, I never saw MCW do this once until after the UL game where Russ Smith did it to hand us the game. It's like MCW saw that and thought it would be the perfect addition to his game.

It's such a dumb move, I can't believe he hasn't learned from it...at all. Game after game, he leaves his feet, gets stuck and throws it away. Now he's tossed in the wrinkle of throwing it away from our basket and towards the opposition's leading to easy fast breaks. It's a lack of true fundamentals, a touch of laziness and just poor decision making. There's no reason a D-1 PG should be making this same JV mistake so often. Kids who do this lack a strong handle and don't have the confidence to keep their dribble when they get inside the 3 pt line.

Couple things:

1. Most of this is fact. There are only a few points there that are questionable, like JS not developing (I think he has), and JB recruiting one dimensional players (he leans to a body type but these are McD AA players- they have talent).
2. The writer coming from Newhouse is not a surprise. JB reserves special scorn for student reporters. He's unprofessional with all local media but he is downright nasty to the SU students who dare to learn sports journalism and help cover the team. Is it any wonder that these same kids, when they get real jobs in sports media, would gun for him?
3. Frankly, I find the article to be a little unfair but also refreshing in that somebody is wanting to see some accountability out of the HOFer. It's amazingly rare.

When you act like a condescending pri*k often enough - this is the sort of stuff you're going to get back from the people who had been on the butt end of your jibes.

Great article and on the money. It is like Groundhog Day with this team, especially MCW.

When you act like a condescending pri*k often enough - this is the sort of stuff you're going to get back from the people who had been on the butt end of your jibes.
yep that was my fear post acrimonious press conferences, that it would set up these type things and they'd come gunning for him now. With the lack of success it only brings it on even more. But I don't think he cares lick one, and the fact he did it to national guys for the first time makes sense that he may indeed have decided that this it the last year for him.

I believe the terms of his scholarship require him to make that turnover at least once a game.
Either that or it's a technique he picked up from Peyton Siva at the end of the first Louisville game.

Wow. That struck a nerve. A lot of truth there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been reported that several posters on this site were observed having multiple orgasms while reading that article.. Don't know if that's true though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Evan is also one of the esteemed contributors to our little forum here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Evan is also one of the esteemed contributors to our little forum here.

Whatever good points he makes is lost in the butthurt tone of the column. He's obviously not an actual journalist and I'd be curious to know if he'd ever have the nuts to say some of those things to JB or MCW in person.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Whatever good points he makes is lost in the butthurt tone of the column. He's obviously not an actual journalist and I'd be curious to know if he'd ever have the nuts to say some of those things to JB or MCW in person.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

What actual journalist would?