BTN Penn State Piece | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BTN Penn State Piece

I think people are underestimating the time our staff could need to gel especially on offense. It took O'Brien some time last year as well. The Penn St game will be very difficult as well. NW game, two on the road, new offense, new staff, new qb. It's not going to be easy, 1-1 would be a very solid start.

I just think this will be a hell of first test. Those 66 guys on Penn st are still pretty damn good. I think the reduced roster is overplayed and as go said especially for the first game.

Absolutely I think Penn State could lose to Syracuse. I do not think it will be because of scholarships. I don't think it will be because Syracuse will attack depth isues. If Syracuse wins the game, it will be because they were the better team and that's very possible.

This Penn State team is better, all around, than last year's. Point to the quarterback all you want but we fans wanted McGloin nowhere near Penn State. He was a very poor QB his first 3 years. O'Brien had him break numerous Penn State passing records. I am a lot less worried about our current QB situation than I have been before. Syracuse ended on a very strong note last year and had a good run to end the season. They looked strong. This will be a good game but there is a reason Penn State is favored by a touchdown (currently 7 1/2 at the Las Vegas Hotel), while having such large, as you guys think, disadvantages.

Fair enough, and feel free to come back and read my written disappointment if Syracuse loses.

I'm just not sure why you think Penn State is in a better position now vs last year given the players you lost and all the untested players that will be starting. Given Syracuse's new found uptempo on offense, the chances of the Penn State defense's depth being tested are very real though. If Penn State wins it'll be because your oline is utterly domnent and keeps us from rattling your new signal caller.

Vegas doesn't try to pick winners BTW. Vegas just tries to put together whatever number that will get the most money on the team that they will make the most off of. The fact that the line is growing means more money is dropping on Penn State. Doesnt make that money smart money however, just money Vegas thinks they can pocket. Classic case of money rolling towards the more widely known commodity. A fair amount don't realize how far Syracuse has come since 08 and 09 when state was hammering Syracuse and our 60 scholarship teams.

Do you think reduced contact and tackling will make that much of a difference in a game? You'd be surprised at how little live hitting coaches like to do and how much they hate it.

Actually, I do. I look forward to being the tougher team on Aug. 31.

That will make a difference in game 6, it's not going to have much, if any, impact the first game of the year.

The key is going to be what can Shafer dial up to mess with a QB playing their first D-1 game.

Biggest key is stop the power run. Zwinak ran for an average of about 150 the last 4 games last year, no game under 135. They'll know we have an aggressive, unpredictable blitzing scheme, with very experienced LBs. So I don't expect Penn State, with a new QB, to try too much fancy on offense. Run it down our throats, then play action with their top WR. Going to be a simple gameplan for them.

Shut down Zwinak, Penn State is going to have a hard time sustaining drives.

Our offensive gameplan will be nearly identical.

This game will be a rock fight.

Fair enough, and feel free to come back and read my written disappointment if Syracuse loses.

I'm just not sure why you think Penn State is in a better position now vs last year given the players you lost and all the untested players that will be starting. Given Syracuse's new found uptempo on offense, the chances of the Penn State defense's depth being tested are very real though. If Penn State wins it'll be because your oline is utterly domnent and keeps us from rattling your new signal caller.

Vegas doesn't try to pick winners BTW. Vegas just tries to put together whatever number that will get the most money on the team that they will make the most off of. The fact that the line is growing means more money is dropping on Penn State. Doesnt make that money smart money however, just money Vegas thinks they can pocket. Classic case of money rolling towards the more widely known commodity. A fair amount don't realize how far Syracuse has come since 08 and 09 when state was hammering Syracuse and our 60 scholarship teams.

Here's why were in a better position. Last year at this time, we had Silas Redd and Justin Brown up and leave. Our top RB and top WR. This year, Zwinak and Robinson come back, and Allen Robinson is better than Brown was. Zwinak isn't as good as Redd but the dropoff in production isn't as large as the dropoff in raw talent.

Prior to last season, nobody wanted McGloin. We did not want him to start. Bill O'Brien took him and made him Penn State's single season passing leader. #2 all time. That leads me to this years QBs. Both of these guys are more talented than McGloin was. Hack very much so. I have faith that O'Brien will have either guy up to the task for this season. Ferg has had as much time in O'Brien's system as McGloin had.

We have a very good backfield in a 1-2 punch in Zwinak and Belton/Lynch. It's been said Lynch could be our next great one. We'll see on that. Our WRs are all back and they are pretty good (top 7 pass catchers return). Our TEs are probably the best position-wise in the country. Our offensive line is said to be our best since 2008, a year where Phil Steele had them ranked #1 in the country.

Our defensive line is stacked and we currently have our best secondary in a long time (was always a weak point however so maybe not saying all that much). Our linebackers are okay. I have faith in Vanderlinden (we are LinebackerU after all) like I do in O'Brien and the QBs. The problem at LB is depth.

If injuries occur, then all bets are off. We could be hurting. But our #1's (and some #2's) are pretty good.

And you didn't play us, what's your point? Do you think Syracuse strikes fear into our hearts? We did beat a couple of okay teams last year in case you were unaware. We beat Northwestern, which Syracuse couldn't. We also beat a Wisconsin team that gave Stanford all it could handle so we finished strong as well.

All Im saying is, using the scholarships as a main reason for why you'll beat us isn't really a valid argument, seeing we are in a much better position this year than we were last year.

I agree with that, and I am definitely of the opinion that depth will not be as big a factor in this game as most here think. If we win, it's because we are the better team.

That said, I am appalled that the sanctions against PSU have not had a greater effect. I was never in the camp that felt the NCAA needed to shut PSU's football program down. But I was DAMNED CLOSE to that. I think they didn't go far enough. IMHO, PSU should have been banned from TV appearances too. Let them have to tell EVERY RECRUIT. Sure you can come here, but you won't be on TV for 2 years (or 4 years). The sanctions should have HURT. And here we are barely into the first full year of sanctions, and it hasn't hurt. Yes, they have fewer scholarships, but they've still recruited top players. Yes, some kids have transferred, but not as many as I would have expected. They are still on TV. The announcers are falling over themselves in a group PSU love fest, telling viewers how hard this has been for PSU, and how much adversity they have had to overcome. It's sickening. PSU fans themselves feel as though they've been victimized. I hope PSU loses every game this year, next year, and as long as it takes for people to wake up and admit that what happened there was criminal, and deliberate, and calculated, and MUST never happen again. I wish we weren't playing PSU. (and I used to love annual games against Penn State) I always hated them as a rival, and thought that Paterno was a lying sack of $#!*. But I never disrespected the school itself. We saw last year that the tail was wagging the dog, and the football program was influencing the university to cover up. It turns my stomach. My father was a PSU fan. Today, he would be embarrassed to be one. I want SU to win. But almost more importantly, I want PSU to lose. To be humiliated by every team they play. There, I said it.

Yes, I agree. Those kids should have been punished more. How will it feel if you lose to a team is such large disadvantages?

Here's why were in a better position. Last year at this time, we had Silas Redd and Justin Brown up and leave. Our top RB and top WR. This year, Zwinak and Robinson come back, and Allen Robinson is better than Brown was. Zwinak isn't as good as Redd but the dropoff in production isn't as large as the dropoff in raw talent.

Prior to last season, nobody wanted McGloin. We did not want him to start. Bill O'Brien took him and made him Penn State's single season passing leader. #2 all time. That leads me to this years QBs. Both of these guys are more talented than McGloin was. Hack very much so. I have faith that O'Brien will have either guy up to the task for this season. Ferg has had as much time in O'Brien's system as McGloin had.

We have a very good backfield in a 1-2 punch in Zwinak and Belton/Lynch. It's been said Lynch could be our next great one. We'll see on that. Our WRs are all back and they are pretty good (top 7 pass catchers return). Our TEs are probably the best position-wise in the country. Our offensive line is said to be our best since 2008, a year where Phil Steele had them ranked #1 in the country.

Our defensive line is stacked and we currently have our best secondary in a long time (was always a weak point however so maybe not saying all that much). Our linebackers are okay. I have faith in Vanderlinden (we are LinebackerU after all) like I do in O'Brien and the QBs. The problem at LB is depth.

If injuries occur, then all bets are off. We could be hurting. But our #1's (and some #2's) are pretty good.

See and i've heard this before. Yes your oline is good. Yes Allen Robinson is very good. Yes ZZ is good and very big. Hack will be a tremendous qb down the road but the only qb's that excel as true frosh are those that possess half back speed and Hack does not. He doesn't scare me game 1 of 2013 like he would game 1 of 2015. Behind Robinson you don't return much at wr. Even though they played last year, they weren't productive. TE's look good but they won't be able to run away from our linebackers so that's small windows for a new qb to throw to. The strong secondary is the claim that most perplexes me though. You moved your top cb to safety due to lack of depth/talent there and are starting 2 green, lightly recruited cb's as result. Shouldnt one of them seen more playing time last year if they were so uber talented?

I do think Lynch is your most talented rb though. Not sure how much run he'll get week 1 but I will be paying attention.

I think people are underestimating the time our staff could need to gel especially on offense. It took O'Brien some time last year as well. The Penn St game will be very difficult as well. NW game, two on the road, new offense, new staff, new qb. It's not going to be easy, 1-1 would be a very solid start.

I just think this will be a hell of first test. Those 66 guys on Penn st are still pretty damn good. I think the reduced roster is overplayed and as go said especially for the first game.

Agree. If you ask people how they felt about the O'Brien era after the first 2 games, and then again after the last 2 games, you'd get polar opposite answers.

The only thing I hope is in our favor, is that defensively, we should something very close to complete continuity.

I think the Northwestern game presents a laundry list of challenges for us, one of the biggest will be all the prep and energy that is going into that Penn State opener.

Yes, I agree. Those kids should have been punished more. How will it feel if you lose to a team is such large disadvantages?

See and that's the type of snide remark that will make this thread go down hill and gives credence to the image penn state fans have.

When you talk about disadvantaged kids being punished at Penn State you think of the football field and that mean old Mark Emmert. When anyone else thinks of disadvantaged kids being punished at Penn State they think of off the field and that monster Sandusky.

Has your fanhood not waivered at all in all of his? No even for a minute?

Penn State football will be fine again and the kids playing for them will be viewed as heroes in Happy Valley. They chose the school and whatever comes with it. The otherside of it didn't choose what they got and likely won't ever be completely fine again.

See and that's the type of snide remark that will make this thread go down hill and gives credence to the image penn state fans have.

When you talk about disadvantaged kids being punished at Penn State you think of the football field and that mean old Mark Emmert. When anyone else thinks of disadvantaged kids being punished at Penn State they think of off the field and that monster Sandusky.

Penn State football will be fine again and the kids playing for them will be viewed as heroes in Happy Valley. They chose the school and whatever comes with it. The otherside of it didn't choose what they got and likely won't ever be completely fine again.

Well put, IO. The issue is not punishing the players at PSU but punishing PSU in a meaningful manner. It is shameful that PSU and their alumni/fans cannot grasp this concept. Nobody is blaming the kids that play at PSU nor the student body at PSU. The blame lies squarely on Sandusky's, JoePa's, the PSU administration's and anyone else' shoulders that knew of Sandusky's horrible acts.

PSU worships their football program and thus it is the easiest and beast means of getting across to PSU that Sandusky type behavior is never to be tolerated in the least. Further, there is the wider audience that needs the reinforcement that Sandusky behavior is not tolerated anywhere.

Essentially, PSU has received a slap on the wrist. I can't say that I wanted the death penalty for PSU, but I think no TV for 4 years and 50 scholarships for 2-5 years growing by 5-8 scholarships annually following the initial 2-5 years of 50 scholarships would have the impact that is desired. A lack of TV money and attention for a longer period of time would get everyone's attention.

Maybe I should have tempered that last response. Just pisses me off.

Maybe I should have tempered that last response. Just pisses me off.

If you were referring to the children abused by Sandusky, you are fully justified. We all are and should be PO'd. Sandusky is a definition of evil.

That a PSU fan would allege anyone wants to punish the players is ridiculous at best.

I think those kids should be embarrassed for their university. The ones there probably should have transferred, and the ones who signed up new, well, they get what they deserve.
How will it feel if we lose? Maybe you didn't read my post. I don't think the sanctions have hurt PSU very much.

If you don't mind I'm going to go ahead and forward this to ESPN. I just looked at the week 1 rankings and not only are you guys not in the top 5, your not even in the top 25. Based on your summary of the team, how are you guys not a top 5 team? I mean, even if people are selling you short, your at least a top 10 team.

Absolutely I think Penn State could lose to Syracuse. I do not think it will be because of scholarships. I don't think it will be because Syracuse will attack depth isues. If Syracuse wins the game, it will be because they were the better team and that's very possible.

This Penn State team is better, all around, than last year's. Point to the quarterback all you want but we fans wanted McGloin nowhere near Penn State. He was a very poor QB his first 3 years. O'Brien had him break numerous Penn State passing records. I am a lot less worried about our current QB situation than I have been before. Syracuse ended on a very strong note last year and had a good run to end the season. They looked strong. This will be a good game but there is a reason Penn State is favored by a touchdown (currently 7 1/2 at the Las Vegas Hotel), while having such large, as you guys think, disadvantages.

Penn State still has a lot of talent and O'Brien is a fine coach. Shafer is at his best devising defenses to confuse young QBs. If PSU can't the run the ball and is forced into a lot of passing situations, they aren't going to score many points, and if they try and throw in those situations, there will be some turnovers.

I think Syracuse is in a similar boat. Inexperienced QB, fairly inexperienced WRs. The staff will likely be reluctant to throw the ball much and will likely go with a conservative run oriented attack.

I expect a low scoring game, with lots of punts and 3 and outs.

Every one of my snide remarks on here were in response to other snide remarks. You came at me with a level headed post and I gave you one back.

I was hoping to come here to talk actual football but instead I'll bottom line this before I leave. Penn State has a better coach. Penn State has better players. Your only hope is that out depth comes into play and it didn't last year with 1 only more scholarship player. Good luck on Saturday, you'll need it. If you really want to reply, or really want me to read your reply, hit me on At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. Peace.

Every one of my snide remarks on here were in response to other snide remarks. You came at me with a level headed post and I gave you one back.

I was hoping to come here to talk actual football but instead I'll bottom line this before I leave. Penn State has a better coach. Penn State has better players. Your only hope is that out depth comes into play and it didn't last year with 1 only more scholarship player. Good luck on Saturday, you'll need it. If you really want to reply, or really want me to read your reply, hit me on . Peace.

PSU gave up its right to just talk football. If you think that's a snide comment, too bad. We're not talking recruiting violations here. We're talking the raping of young boys, and the destruction of young lives. If I were a PSU fan I would turn in my season tickets.

please let us kick the snit out of these guys so the turds who follow them will go away forever-

your school allowed the most disgusting things to happen to children for the sake of football- now you make excuse after excuse why its all ok now- IT FRIGGIN AINT OK NOW OR EVER

The better D wins this game. Both offenses will struggle IMO.

Advantage - Syracuse +7.5

I was hoping to come here to talk actual football but instead I'll bottom line this before I leave. Penn State has a better coach. Penn State has better players. Your only hope is that out depth comes into play and it didn't last year with 1 only more scholarship player. Good luck on Saturday, you'll need it. If you really want to reply, or really want me to read your reply, hit me on . Peace.

Football conversation was going well and you couldve stuck to it. You know other fan bases don't share the views of how things went down so why even reply? That post prior to you remark can't be the worst you heard from opposing fans and was more truthful of his view point than anything.

Overall your football view is the same as any other state fan. Ours is better because it's ours mentality. BOB may or may not be a better coach. Tough to tell when we haven't seen Shafer coach but after the Ohio game last year you probably weren't saying the same. "Our 1s and 2s are just as good". Perhaps but you see more 1s than actually exsist. Penn State has about 5 or 6 guys that would start for Syracuse this year. The rest are 2s and 3s plugged in as starters or backups but that's something State fans can't seem to see. Thats impossible simply because they're mighty penn state, right?

PSU gave up its right to just talk football. If you think that's a snide comment, too bad. We're not talking recruiting violations here. We're talking the raping of young boys, and the destruction of young lives. If I were a PSU fan I would turn in my season tickets."

-- Have you handed in your BB tickets yet? Pot calling the kettle black on this one buddy.

-- Have you handed in your BB tickets yet? Pot calling the kettle black on this one buddy.

You will have to explain what you mean, buddy.

Bernie Fine, and the fact that he was not criminally investigated because it fell outside the statute of limitations, while Sandusky's crimes did. And yet somehow we are all horrible people who can't discuss our team while anything syracuse is as pure as the 6 ft of snow that occupies the syracuse campus at all times.

Why do I stop supporting a bunch of kids who play their asses off for my alma mater, because of some guy who coached here 15 years ago who did some pretty messed up things. I don't blame Syracuse fans for bernie fine, just like I don't blame germans for Hitler. I want to talk about football not about some guy who did some stuff when I was 9 years old.

PS. Grammar/spelling/format mistakes I blame on lots of beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom