BTN Penn State Piece | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

BTN Penn State Piece

Really? Speaking of delusional...RG John Urschel would be the smartest guy on your team, by far, and was a First-Team All-B1G guard. LT Donovan Smith is going to be a future 1st or 2nd round pick and he's arguably better than Urschel but had a hand injury last year that slowed him down a little. You say nobody will be able to run past your defenders? TE Jesse James is 6-7, 260 and runs a 4.5 40, you'll hear his name on Sundays as well and he probably isn't our best tight end. The title goes to Kyle Carter who was a consensus first-team Freshmen All-American. And finally FOR THE OFFENSE, Allen Robinson was a first-team All-B1G and won the B1G receiver of the year award, 77 receptions and 11 touchdowns ain't bad. That's 5 guys on one side of the ball without mentioning RB Zach Zwinak, C Ty Howle, and TE Matt Lehman.

I don't feel like teaching you all day but on defense DB Adrian Amos, DE Deion Barnes, DT DaQuan Jones and Glenn Carson would without a doubt be starting for Cuse.

For a while I thought you actually might know what you're talking about but then you said something idiotic like that and made an irrational prediction. After Saturday I feel like your opinion might change from "5 but 2 had hamstring issues." It's a minor HAMSTRING injury not a turn ACL. But good luck though, you'll need it.

Most people recognize that hamstrings are not end all injuries. However, belittling their impact is crazy on your part. A minor hamstring issue can take weeks or months to fully heal.

I agree PSU has some good players. However, PSU has weaknesses, too. That an opposing school's fans believe that tehy can take advantage of PSU's weaknesses is not far fetched. Every opponent tries to take advantage of an opposing team's weaknesses, not sure where you learned your sports strategies, but it is quite common. That a Syracuse fan believes that Syracuse' defense will take every opportunity to take advantage of a green QB and a green C makes sense. In fact, most Syracuse fans expect that PSU will tray to take advantage of our 1st year starter QB, too! :cool:

I think my favorite part of the digression of this thread was when one of the PSU fans said he hated people being clouded by hate and ignorance about their situation, and then PSU fans bring up Bernie Fine.

So much irony there. Just delicious.

The representation on this board by this small group of PSU fans demonstrates why the PSU program should have received the death penalty. I didn't think so before. I do now. What a bunch of delusional fanatics. I'll be glad when this game is over. I wish we had not scheduled them. I would much rather have scheduled a team and program I can respect.

One must also take into account the type of fans that will come onto opposing teams' message boards and carry out arguments with their fans. They don't exactly represent the entire fanbase. Do some of them make good points? Yes, I don't want to discredit any good points they are making. But some of my fellow PSU fans/alums that are visiting here appear to be a little misguided in their strategy. I can certainly sympathize with their frustration, though, and that can lead some to get pretty defensive of the school they love.

Some points on the scandal:

- Many in the public believe that Joe and the administration knew Sandusky was abusing children and did nothing about it. Even the Freeh Report fails to come to this precise conclusion. Their supposition is based purely on one incident (whatever McQueary witnessed in 2001) and the aftermath. If this incident was meant to be covered up, it would be an odd decision to notify council and the head of the children's charity Sandusky founded. It is still unclear what McQueary told his bosses (after initially telling Joe, he was out of the loop, as it was not a matter involving a member of hist staff). If it was just "horseplay," as administration officials allege, that changes a lot. If he didn't even see the child (which the alleged victim claims, if you believe that person is the victim), then all bets are off.

- There was an earlier incident in 1998 where Sandusky admitted showering with a young boy. The police were brought in. A full investigation was undertaken, and no charges were filed. University police and officials knew about this, but it's not clear whether Paterno knew. In any case, this again does not sound like a cover-up.

- Was the situation mishandled? Were mistakes made? There is little doubt the answer to those questions is "yes." Is there any evidence of a deliberate cover-up? Actually, there is zero real evidence of this. In fact, some of the above is evidence to the contrary.

- Onto NCAA punishment: Were any NCAA rules broken? No. Did they need to take action? I think, considering the public's lust for blood, both PSU and the NCAA knew something had to be done. That led to the consent decree which handed out the harshest sanctions in the history of the organization, with the possible exception of SMU. If you think the scholarship reductions were the worst of it, you're missing the $60 million PSU is paying to charities, the bowl money and Big Ten share of bowl money that they've given up.

- Many of you feel that the culture of PSU football fans was unique, but I beg to differ there. This could have happened anywhere, whether or not there was a large football following. But look to Eugene, LA, Miami or Chapel Hill, and you'll see plenty of actual cheating that has received little or no punishment. That can be frustrating for PSU fans.

- Outside of the sanctions, PSU is paying (at least) $30 million more to victims and their families without fighting these lawsuits in court. They've already adopted over 100 recommendations in the Freeh Report to help ensure this never happens again. And the leadership role they are taking in the field of child abuse prevention and community outreach is nothing short of commendable. There are certainly lessons that were learned, and they are not lost on most PSU football fans.

Say, anyone want to talk football? Good luck on Saturday, and may the better team win. I hope it's PSU, and I hope it's okay that I root for them. Let's Go State!

Most people recognize that hamstrings are not end all injuries. However, belittling their impact is crazy on your part. A minor hamstring issue can take weeks or months to fully heal.

I agree PSU has some good players. However, PSU has weaknesses, too. That an opposing school's fans believe that tehy can take advantage of PSU's weaknesses is not far fetched. Every opponent tries to take advantage of an opposing team's weaknesses, not sure where you learned your sports strategies, but it is quite common. That a Syracuse fan believes that Syracuse' defense will take every opportunity to take advantage of a green QB and a green C makes sense. In fact, most Syracuse fans expect that PSU will tray to take advantage of our 1st year starter QB, too! :cool:

That's true that minor hamstring injuries can evolve into something more serious, but then it wouldn't be a minor injury anymore. However, my point was the poster was alluding to minor hamstring injuries as an excuse that they wouldn't be starters on the Orange.

Secondly, I never said PSU doesn't have weaknesses, my argument was that Penn State has more than 5 out of 22 players that could start for your team, which is a pretty fair and unbiased assessment.But hey, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I'm just wondering why there's so much confidence SU will crush PSU in a game that I think will be pretty close.

There's no question the Nittany Lions have weaknesses, obviously quarterback will be one, just like for Cuse. Our center may be green but he saw time last year rotating in along the line and let's not forget he's a senior. Football is all about exposing your opponents weaknesses and taking advantage of them. I couldn't agree with you more on that notion.

Mods, can we please lock this thread down. I can only speak for myself, but I do not wish to be drawn into another fruitless thread about PSU, Sandusky, Paterno et al. Perhaps some here would like a clean start on a football thread.

How about you tell me what you know about the Syracuse players who you think these guys would just walk in and replace and we can go from there. I know you think your players are all great, and you should since you're a fan, but tell me about who they would start over and why. FWIW you named 4 of the 5 I had in mind so nice work there.

Pretty much, tell me why my predictions are irrational vs just the standard chest puffing over how good your players are and why you feel I've slighted them. I've yet to meet a PSU fan that knows much of anything about Syracuse so here's your chance to be that guy.

The "chest puffing" was needed after you said less than a quarter of Penn State starters would start for Cuse. That's an big time insult for a team that's returning a lot of talent across the board. You started this debate by saying only 5 guys would start, so how about you begin and tell me what Syracuse players would come in and start right away? Anyway...

I'm not an expect on the Orange but guys have a loaded backfield. Smith and Gulley were impressive last year and while I think Zwinak is a great back the depth behind him has yet to be proven but has a lot of potential in Belton and Lynch. QB is a draw. You lost your two most productive wide outs in Lemon and Sales and while Jarrod West showed some promise, I'll take Robinson, Carter and James easily over any of your targets in the passing game. To be honest I don't know too much about your oline but I know Pugh is gone and Penn State is going to have one of their best units in quite some time. Smith and Urschel are studs.

Defensively Sprull and Dyshawn Davis are great, but Glenn Carson could be the most underrated LB to every play at PSU (that's what happens when you play with Mauti and Hodges your entire career). Carson would definitely find a way to start if the teams merged. Mike Hull played a ton last year, specifically in third down situations, and he's going to have a good year in my opinion.

You only have one returning starter on the defensive line. DaQuan Jones and Deion Barnes would start without a second thought. I know you lost Thomas in the secondary and besides Keon Lyn I don't know much else about your CBs and safeties, that's why I only noted Adrian Amos. The guy can play safety, CB and might see some time at LB this year.

Saying Cuse would only start 5 PSU players is still ignorant. I don't know how you got that number. I pride myself on being realistic about my team, let's see how you do trying to justify your number.

1st year C, 1st year QB vs our Defensive scheme = no time to pass to your TE.

You also didn't mention your very green secondary.

Great logic. You lost 3/4ths of your d-line and arguably one of your best play-makers in Shamarko Thomas. PSU is returning 4/5ths of their offensive line including a left tackle and guard who will be playing on Sundays. Yet, Penn State's QB will have no time to pass.

Mods, can we please lock this thread down. I can only speak for myself, but I do not wish to be drawn into another fruitless thread about PSU, Sandusky, Paterno et al. Perhaps some here would like a clean start on a football thread.

I'm talking purely football.

Please.

And then delete the hell out of it.

You know, like Jerry did to those boys'dignity

Great logic. You lost 3/4ths of your d-line and arguably one of your best play-makers in Shamarko Thomas. PSU is returning 4/5ths of their offensive line including a left tackle and guard who will be playing on Sundays. Yet, Penn State's QB will have no time to pass.
SU is actually loaded at the D-tackle postion. Didnt lose any startes there, should be strength of the team.

Ped State? Never heard that one before...
Yup...

Much like we're kind of tired of the whole "JoePa and the administration did nothing wrong" spiel.

You do realize that this whole thread went down hill when one of your peeps started whining about how the penalties are "unfair", right?

The "chest puffing" was needed after you said less than a quarter of Penn State starters would start for Cuse. That's an big time insult for a team that's returning a lot of talent across the board. You started this debate by saying only 5 guys would start, so how about you begin and tell me what Syracuse players would come in and start right away? Anyway...

I'm not an expect on the Orange but guys have a loaded backfield. Smith and Gulley were impressive last year and while I think Zwinak is a great back the depth behind him has yet to be proven but has a lot of potential in Belton and Lynch. QB is a draw. You lost your two most productive wide outs in Lemon and Sales and while Jarrod West showed some promise, I'll take Robinson, Carter and James easily over any of your targets in the passing game. To be honest I don't know too much about your oline but I know Pugh is gone and Penn State is going to have one of their best units in quite some time. Smith and Urschel are studs.

Defensively Sprull and Dyshawn Davis are great, but Glenn Carson could be the most underrated LB to every play at PSU (that's what happens when you play with Mauti and Hodges your entire career). Carson would definitely find a way to start if the teams merged. Mike Hull played a ton last year, specifically in third down situations, and he's going to have a good year in my opinion.

You only have one returning starter on the defensive line. DaQuan Jones and Deion Barnes would start without a second thought. I know you lost Thomas in the secondary and besides Keon Lyn I don't know much else about your CBs and safeties, that's why I only noted Adrian Amos. The guy can play safety, CB and might see some time at LB this year.

Saying Cuse would only start 5 PSU players is still ignorant. I don't know how you got that number. I pride myself on being realistic about my team, let's see how you do trying to justify your number.

No chest puffing needed on my behalf but I'm not on a Penn State board posting either. Calm down on calling folks ignorant, you're visiting an opposing teams board, not the other way around. That alone says you are out patroling for perceived "big time insults" and with me you think you found one.

The 5 I selected were Jones, Robinson, Barnes, Urschel and whoever wins your RT position. It's not a slight toward your players, I think plenty are good, the main point to take is they wouldn't start for us in our system. So while you think I'm saying your players are garbage, you won't be able to quote me on something I've never said. What I am saying is, where you have good players, we also have good or better players that I wouldn't trade for you players for multiple reasons.

Carson would start for a lot of teams but he wouldn't start over Spruill at SU because A) Spruill is very good and B) we ask different things from our LB's than PSU does for example. Pugh is gone but Hickey is sliding over from RT and he is the real deal. Could very well go as early as Pugh did this season thus the big ? at RT for us.

In between all the ball busting posts (it's game week) I've spent a fair amount of time studying the matchup. How many SU players do you think would start for PSU? Likely a similar number right? That's the nature of fan hood. I don't think Penn State is a bad/weak team by any stretch, I just think Syracuse will win because they have a stronger team. You likely feel the exact opposite. We'll find out soon enough who is correct.

How many SU players do you think would start for PSU? Likely a similar number right?
No way, you haven't been paying attention. PSU is fielding an all conference team. They even have three NFL caliber TEs. Not a single SU player would make PSU's team, let alone start.

I don't even know why they're playing this game.

No way, you haven't been paying attention. PSU is fielding an all conference team. They even have three NFL caliber TEs. Not a single SU player would make PSU's team, let alone start.

I don't even know why they're playing this game.

I guess. The same way Amos was moved to safety because their new CB's are so good, rather than them moving their top CB to S because their safeties were that bad and their TE's are sooooo good vs them only having one wide receiver so TE's will be uber important to them thus that's what their fans go with. "Jesse James will be playing on Sundays and is better than anything Syracuse has!" Oh, well pardon me for not fawning over the 15 catches he made last year and annointing him Vernon Davis just yet. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Ok. I'll bite. Lots of denial.

- Many in the public believe that Joe and the administration knew Sandusky was abusing children and did nothing about it. Even the Freeh Report fails to come to this precise conclusion. Their supposition is based purely on one incident (whatever McQueary witnessed in 2001) and the aftermath. If this incident was meant to be covered up, it would be an odd decision to notify council and the head of the children's charity Sandusky founded. It is still unclear what McQueary told his bosses (after initially telling Joe, he was out of the loop, as it was not a matter involving a member of hist staff). If it was just "horseplay," as administration officials allege, that changes a lot. If he didn't even see the child (which the alleged victim claims, if you believe that person is the victim), then all bets are off. This is so filled with what if's in place of the obvious. An old man with a shady history with young boys gets caught with a young boy in shower - McQuery is worried enough about it, he told people. The investigation dies. The administration alleges it was horseplay. Yep. No cover up here. Gimme a break.

- There was an earlier incident in 1998 where Sandusky admitted showering with a young boy. The police were brought in. A full investigation was undertaken, and no charges were filed. University police and officials knew about this, but it's not clear whether Paterno knew. In any case, this again does not sound like a cover-up. Definitely sounds like a clear case of a cover-up masquerading as complete incompetence. Oh, well - lets let him continue to be on campus with kids.

- Was the situation mishandled? Were mistakes made? There is little doubt the answer to those questions is "yes." Is there any evidence of a deliberate cover-up? Actually, there is zero real evidence of this. In fact, some of the above is evidence to the contrary. So nothing happened to alleged victims. It was all a crazy conspiracy by some victims. Nothing to cover-up. Sheesh. This is making me sick. It's a delibrate cover up because some really horrible things happened and nothing happened. The proper way to deal with this stuff is out in the open. Full disclosure. Police. Not university police - Outside investigators not tied to the university.

- Onto NCAA punishment: Were any NCAA rules broken? No. Did they need to take action? I think, considering the public's lust for blood, both PSU and the NCAA knew something had to be done. That led to the consent decree which handed out the harshest sanctions in the history of the organization, with the possible exception of SMU. If you think the scholarship reductions were the worst of it, you're missing the $60 million PSU is paying to charities, the bowl money and Big Ten share of bowl money that they've given up. If it was covered up to protect the university and the football program - I can only assume that this is the exact kind of thing the NCAA should be involved in. It wasn't the public's lust for blood - it was and is a form of justice (weak as it is).

- Many of you feel that the culture of PSU football fans was unique, but I beg to differ there. This could have happened anywhere, whether or not there was a large football following. But look to Eugene, LA, Miami or Chapel Hill, and you'll see plenty of actual cheating that has received little or no punishment. That can be frustrating for PSU fans. Let's break it down. "Actual" cheating vs. not-covering-covering-up-a-horrible-crime-to-protect-yourselves cheating. You're right - in most places there is a desire to protect the powers that be from things that would take them down - at Penn State it's downright scary.

Say, anyone want to talk football? Good luck on Saturday, and may the better team win. I hope it's PSU, and I hope it's okay that I root for them. Let's Go State! Finally! You should root for them. They are your team. We can't wait.

Yup...

Much like we're kind of tired of the whole "JoePa and the administration did nothing wrong" spiel.

You do realize that this whole thread went down hill when one of your peeps started whining about how the penalties are "unfair", right?

Categorizing the entire Penn State fan base by a few Joe Pa apologists is a poor representation of the entire university. The majority of Penn Staters realize there were massive failures within the top leadership. However, there is still lots information that the generally public think is facts when it's most opinions, like the Freeh Report. There's a lot more to the story than people realize and more and more information will continue to come out, and hopefully we know as much as the truth as possible.

Calling PSU "Ped State" is a little immature and is scattered all over this thread. What happened to horrific, in my mind there isn't a worse act you can do, but calling the entire school pedophiles because of one guy is naive. The best that can come of the whole situation is that it raises awareness and prevents these types of terrible acts from happening again.

No chest puffing needed on my behalf but I'm not on a Penn State board posting either. Calm down on calling folks ignorant, you're visiting an opposing teams board, not the other way around. That alone says you are out patroling for perceived "big time insults" and with me you think you found one.

The 5 I selected were Jones, Robinson, Barnes, Urschel and whoever wins your RT position. It's not a slight toward your players, I think plenty are good, the main point to take is they wouldn't start for us in our system. So while you think I'm saying your players are garbage, you won't be able to quote me on something I've never said. What I am saying is, where you have good players, we also have good or better players that I wouldn't trade for you players for multiple reasons.

Carson would start for a lot of teams but he wouldn't start over Spruill at SU because A) Spruill is very good and B) we ask different things from our LB's than PSU does for example. Pugh is gone but Hickey is sliding over from RT and he is the real deal. Could very well go as early as Pugh did this season thus the big ? at RT for us.

In between all the ball busting posts (it's game week) I've spent a fair amount of time studying the matchup. How many SU players do you think would start for PSU? Likely a similar number right? That's the nature of fan hood. I don't think Penn State is a bad/weak team by any stretch, I just think Syracuse will win because they have a stronger team. You likely feel the exact opposite. We'll find out soon enough who is correct.

Well you didn't make it too clear that you were talking about "players that fit your system." That's completely different. It was difficult to differentiate between the "You didn't play us last year," and all the other trash talk. Without that clarification you don't think it would be an insult that only 5 players would start out of 22 between the rosters? I was just trying to give those players the recognition they deserve. You referenced Penn State's lack of scholarships in the same paragraph which almost always = lack of talent. SU has some great players as well and I talked about them in depth in my post and think you guys have a good team.

Also predicting Cuse 34-16 is pretty much a blowout. Just asking a question here, but how did you come up with that number? Are there certain matchups that you think heavily favor SU? Saturday can't get here soon enough. Either outcome I'd like to come back to the board and talk football.

Categorizing the entire Penn State fan base by a few Joe Pa apologists is a poor representation of the entire university.
The majority of the PSU fan base that has come here have ended up showing that viewpoint. Referencing the scholarship limitations and the "poor PSU players" is another position that doesn't go over well. When visiting opposing team fan sites, the PSU fan base would do well to not reference anything related to the Sandusky case... including, what many feel are inadequate, penalties. Stuck to the infield activities without an arrogant attitude and things can go well. In short: suck it up. It's probably easier to just stick to PSU oriented fan sites.

Any deviation to that behavior well lead to threads like these.

Calling PSU "Ped State" is a little immature and is scattered all over this thread.
Agreed, it's immature, but a likely consequence when a PSU poster deviates from what I pointed out above. America just doesn't want to hear it.

America's fuse may get shorter, depending on what may come out during the upcoming trials.

The majority of the PSU fan base that has come here have ended up showing that viewpoint. Referencing the scholarship limitations and the "poor PSU players" is another position that doesn't go over well. When visiting opposing team fan sites, the PSU fan base would do well to not reference anything related to the Sandusky case... including, what many feel are inadequate, penalties. Stuck to the infield activities without an arrogant attitude and things can go well. In short: suck it up. It's probably easier to just stick to PSU oriented fan sites.

Any deviation to that behavior well lead to threads like these.

Agreed, it's immature, but a likely consequence when a PSU poster deviates from what I pointed out above. America just doesn't want to hear it.

America's fuse may get shorter, depending on what may come out during the upcoming trials.

To continue my point - when are message board posters a good representation of their university? They usually use this form because there's no name attached.

Many people also feel that the NCAA overstepped their boundaries and have changed their original opinions. But then again how many people read the Freeh Report? (what all the sanctions were based on) The school deserved to get punished for their failures but taking it out on 20 young men who could be getting a great education doesn't seem like the proper avenue to me. But then again everyone has their own opinions.

The school deserved to get punished for their failures but taking it out on 20 young men who could be getting a great education doesn't seem like the proper avenue to me.
The proper action would've been to shut the program down for a couple of years.

The kids on scholarship could've transferred or retained their scholarship, to complete their education, knowing that they'd never play football at PSU.

When a football program becomes so big that all common decency is tossed out the window then a loud and clear message needs to be sent. Not just to the school, but to the boosters, the entire community and the rest of the collegiate sports world.

I know that this opinion is not popular with the PSU faithful, but it's the reaction and attitude exhibited to the nation by those from the PSU universe that has caused many outside of that universe to realize that the NCAA's message was not strong enough.

You indicated that you didn't agree with the current punishment. What do you feel would've been appropriate?

The proper action would've been to shut the program down for a couple of years.

The kids on scholarship could've transferred or retained their scholarship, to complete their education, knowing that they'd never play football at PSU.

When a football program becomes so big that all common decency is tossed out the window then a loud and clear message needs to be sent. Not just to the school, but to the boosters, the entire community and the rest of the collegiate sports world.

I know that this opinion is not popular with the PSU faithful, but it's the reaction and attitude exhibited to the nation by those from the PSU universe that has caused many outside of that universe to realize that the NCAA's message was not strong enough.

You indicated that you didn't agree with the current punishment. What do you feel would've been appropriate?

I thought the punishments were premature purely because they were based on the Freeh Report. But if everything in that report was true (it wasn't at all) I think the sanctions were pretty appropriate. Although I wouldn't have done the scholarship reductions and I would've fined the university more with every penny going to child abuse prevention. However, I don't like to do these hypothetical because I still believe we don't really know the exact truth.

However, I don't like to do these hypothetical because I still believe we don't really know the exact truth.
Fair enough... it's just hard to wait, especially when those involved may still be around at the institution/program in question.

I know that PSU faithful believe that eventually things will be shown to have been less out of control than the rest of America believes. Similarly, there are those outside of PSU that believe that more wrongdoing will be found.

Things like the disappearance of the original investigator/DA as well as the involvement of the PA governor raise a lot of eyebrows.

Anywho... I'm looking forward to the game. Go Orange!

Fair enough... it's just hard to wait, especially when those involved may still be around at the institution/program in question.

I know that PSU faithful believe that eventually things will be shown to have been less out of control than the rest of America believes. Similarly, there are those outside of PSU that believe that more wrongdoing will be found.

Things like the disappearance of the original investigator/DA as well as the involvement of the PA governor raise a lot of eyebrows.

Anywho... I'm looking forward to the game. Go Orange!

Absolutely. Tom Corbett's involvement has yet to be discovered and he's one of the most slimy people on the planet. I just want the truth.

Yeah less talk about troubling things and more talk about football. Four more days!

Well you didn't make it too clear that you were talking about "players that fit your system." That's completely different. It was difficult to differentiate between the "You didn't play us last year," and all the other trash talk. Without that clarification you don't think it would be an insult that only 5 players would start out of 22 between the rosters? I was just trying to give those players the recognition they deserve. You referenced Penn State's lack of scholarships in the same paragraph which almost always = lack of talent. SU has some great players as well and I talked about them in depth in my post and think you guys have a good team.

Also predicting Cuse 34-16 is pretty much a blowout. Just asking a question here, but how did you come up with that number? Are there certain matchups that you think heavily favor SU? Saturday can't get here soon enough. Either outcome I'd like to come back to the board and talk football.

Lots of assumptions and it's hard to figure out one's intentions in typed format especially if you've never conversed with them. I don't loathe Penn State but have been less then impressed with a large part of the fan base over recent months. If Syracuse didn't play you though I wouldn't have given them nearly as much thought.

How I arrived at that score, which you've seen me take flack from fellow SU fans over:

7-0 Cuse
7-7
10-7 Cuse
17-7
17-14
24-14 <----- KO return following your TD
24-14
27-14
27-16 <----- Barnes safety
34-16 <----- Late junk TD, pick 6 perhaps

Pretty much an end scoreline that looks a lot more comforable then I will be while at the game.

Why? We can run the ball and our defense is such that running 50 times up the middle will not be effective. I think Lyn and co can keep Robinson in check. Hack will have nerves in his first game under center and we will throw enough pressure to hit him a few times, and mix enough coverages to make him second guess some throws. Game 1 year 1 will be a world different then game 1 year 3 with him. I think he'll be great, I don't think he will be great YET on Saturday. We have the DB's and LB's to make up ground in a hurry and close passing lanes. I think we can turn you over a few times.

Where I think depth will hurt PSU is on special teams, namely kickoff coverage. The returners we will use, and the depth we have for blockers look very good. Could Penn State roll starters out? sure. Would it be in their long term best interest? not likely.

Unit for Unit
QB Allen/Hunt > Hackenberg/Ferguson. Why? Older and have seen D1 defenses longer
RB Smith/PTG > Zwinak/Belton. Why? Numbers speak for themselves. Your good, we're just exceptional here
WR Robinson+nobody = West+5 guys
CB Lyn/Reddish/Anderson/Whigham > RFr 1 + RFr 2 w/ MAC offers and no prior PT
S I'll say = but why did your best CB get moved if you had that much talent returning there?
TE 4 man crew > Wales (who's good) and Parris unknown. TE's aren't a focal point for us but Wales can play
H Back/slot WR Broyld/Estime/RB lined up there > ?. 3rd WR isn't a focal point for you
DT Bromley + 3/4 > Jones + ?. We've got players here
DE Barnes + ? > ??. We have no idea what we have and your oline is pretty good. Barnes is a beast.
LB Cuse 6 deep > PSU 2 + 2 deep. Which will wear more? ZZ delivering hits or your LB's running all over the place
Oline LT,LG,C SU = PSU; RG PSU >= SU; RT PSU perhaps > SU but not sure you're sorted there yet

Matchups I like
Smith/Gulley + 2 vs your dline+LB's
Lyn vs Robinson
SU DT's+LB vs ZZ
Davis/Lynch vs PSU QB + Belton
Our slot WR/H back vs nickel coverage
23 year old QB vs 19/20 y/o green corners
Fast LB's vs Big TE's

Matchups I don't like
Robinson vs anyone not names Lyn
ZZ/BB vs our DE's
7'8 TE's vs 6' LB's
Barnes vs the right side of our oline
Carson running downhill at our RB's or QB
Amos over the middle vs smaller speed WR's

The reason the hamstring issues carry so much weight with me is IMHO Barnes and Robinson are your 2 biggest playmakers. Having them at less than 100% is a big deal even if it doesn't cause a huge drop in performances. Hamstring injuries linger and for players that excel due to speed/explosive ability it can make them a lot more managable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom