Buddy Boeheim: Signing 2-way with Pistons | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim: Signing 2-way with Pistons

The NBA moment I'm rooting for next season is when Carmelo and Buddy are on their team benches at the same time and they get get to greet each other and that video of little Buddy jumping around Carmelo at the championship is shown.

Even better if they get floor time together.

Even better if they get to guard each other briefly.
Trust me, Buddy does NOT want to guard Melo. :)

You nba experts can correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t a player on a two way make more than a G leaguer but less than the nba minimum?
The typical salary for a G League player is $37,000 a year. Most 10-day contracts are signed for a prorated portion of the league's minimum salary, which means most players signing 10-day contracts are making double their yearly G League salary in just 10 days in the N.B.A.Dec 29, 2021

What Is The NBA Minimum Salary?

The minimum salary in the NBA starts at $925,000. However, the salary may vary due to different factors including but not limited to the following:

• Year of the contract signing
  • Draft placements
  • Quality of experience and resume
  • Other factors like popularity or global reach
With that being said, the NBA minimum salary and other remuneration-related issues are governed by the salary cap rules laid out by the NBA owners, NBA teams, and NBA Players Association.

So Buddy will get a salary of $ 462,500 vs $37,500 – big difference.

Hope he does well and sticks with the Pistons.
You nba experts can correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t a player on a two way make more than a G leaguer but less than the nba minimum?

Buddy Boeheim Signs With Detroit Pistons After Going Undrafted

Originally posted on FanNation All Syracuse
By Mike McAllister | Last updated 6/24/22

Former Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim has signed a two-way contract with the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons have former Syracuse assistants Troy Weaver and Rob Murphy in their front office.

What is a two way contract? This is from the G-League's website.

"Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under 'Two-Way Contracts.'"

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league

Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim had a lot of momentum coming into the 2021-22 season. After leading the Orange to a Sweet-16 run the previous year, there was All-American hype around the sharp-shooter. While he did not reach that status, he still put together a superb final year with Syracuse. He averaged 19.2 points (to lead the ACC), 3.1 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game, all career highs. You can watch highlights of his season in the video above.

While Buddy could return to Syracuse due to the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility to student-athletes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, he indicated all season that the 2021-22 campaign would be his last. That indeed came to fruition after he signed with an agent. Buddy worked out for several NBA teams, including going 71-80 (89%) from three during a workout for the New York Knicks.

Buddy finished the season as the ACC's leading scorer. He topped Alondes Williams of Wake Forest for that honor, who saw his scoring average dip in NIT play. Buddy had some stellar games despite seeing the bulk of the defensive attention from opponents. He tied scored 30 against Miami on senior day and had 30 in a blowout win over Wake Forest in the Dome. Buddy eclipsed the 20 point mark 13 other times.

I have to add that I am a big time JAB fan, a personal friend who my friend in CT and I used to pick up at Bradley Airport when the team came into play UConn. The team stayed at the Marriott in Farmington and Jim immediately got in my friend Tom's car and we would go see any recruits, stay for a game if there was one and end the night in a diner talking about the nights events.
I just want to say after all the trips and hard work he has put in at SU to now have coached and see
his son get signed is amazing for me.
Jim and Juli have two great sons and Buddy is special. Congratulations to him and the family

Last edited:
A huge part of success in one's life is how good they are in building personal relationships, etc. Today's Boeheim signings is a bit of proof of such. No doubt, the SU connection with JB, Bing, Weaver and Murphy played a considerable role in getting these afforded opportunities/foot in the door, along with self preparation.

Kudos and good luck to the Boeheim boys...

FWIW, looking at Two Way players for 2021-2022, the vast majority played at least one game in the NBA last year. So that's great news for Buddy.

Of the list from last year, I think the names that stick out would be Jericho Sims of the Knicks who ended up playing a decent amt (41 games) and old friend Justin Champagnie (36 games) for the Raps

Does he have to be in the active roster to accumulate service time towards the NBA pension and long term medical plans? Or does the two way contract count even when he's playing g league? The value in achieving membership in those is substantial and lifelong.

Does he have to be in the active roster to accumulate service time towards the NBA pension and long term medical plans? The value in achieving membership in those is substantial and lifelong.
I think it does if they spend any time up on the big club.

I want to say there's some benefit to veteran players doing g-league stints too. I think Hak did a late g-league season because it would bump him up a tier on the pension plan.

I think it does if they spend any time up on the big club.

I want to say there's some benefit to veteran players doing g-league stints too. I think Hak did a late g-league season because it would bump him up a tier on the pension plan.
Thanks OiG. That's an ingenious way of getting bigger name guys into the g league who would otherwise just retire.

Hell yeah, I might buy a g league ticket if I knew I could see Hakim Warwick play one last time, instead of just a bunch of guys almost good enough for the NBA.

Plus, if the young guys have to play against an 8 year veteran in Warrick instead of another young guy, they get better faster.

The typical salary for a G League player is $37,000 a year. Most 10-day contracts are signed for a prorated portion of the league's minimum salary, which means most players signing 10-day contracts are making double their yearly G League salary in just 10 days in the N.B.A.Dec 29, 2021

What Is The NBA Minimum Salary?

The minimum salary in the NBA starts at $925,000. However, the salary may vary due to different factors including but not limited to the following:

• Year of the contract signing
  • Draft placements
  • Quality of experience and resume
  • Other factors like popularity or global reach
With that being said, the NBA minimum salary and other remuneration-related issues are governed by the salary cap rules laid out by the NBA owners, NBA teams, and NBA Players Association.

So Buddy will get a salary of $ 462,500 vs $37,500 – big difference.

Hope he does well and sticks with the Pistons.

I wonder if he remembers he owes me money?- ha

So he won the scoring title because the Wake kid played poorly in the NIT?
I thought Wake was in the NCAAs for crying out loud! Didn’t know they didn't make it.

That is the old system (see more below on that)

This link explains how it works currently
Two-way contract FAQ

Although the link above does not state the flat annual salary, other googling suggest the flat slary was $463,000 last year and will be about $502,000 this year.
A few key conditions:
- The salary is the same amount whether the player is in the NBA or the G-League. Its 1/2 the minimum annual salary of a normal player.
- The player can play up to 50 games in the NBA - he can play more but then the team must convert him to a full contract at that point, and would then need to clear a normal roster spot for them,
- The contract is not-guaranteed, so the players can be cut at any point, and will only receive their pro-rated salary up to that point.
- I suspect there is some guarantee however that is granted to give some incentive to sign the contract initially. Just a guess but based on other pre-season contracts to show up at NBA camp probably like $50,000.

The old system was a G-League guarantee of $75,000 (which is more than the G-League average of closer to $40-$50K). The player could only play 45 days in the NBA, which would then earn them an extra $204,000 beyond that $75K (if they played 45 days). If a team wanted them more than 45 days, they would need to be converted to a full contract for the rest of the season. The $75,000 however was guaranteed based on my understanding,

So the new system provides much more to the player if they stay in a team's system the entire year ($502K vs $75K). So its much better that way. But there are a few disadvantages to the new system:
- The older system allows the player to get to a full NBA contract much earlier (45 days vs 50 games). That being said the expectation of a 2 way playe is to develop in the team's system and not really play much NBA that first year.
- The older system was a guaranteed $75,000 once you signed it. Technically Buddy B could be cut in pre-season and earn nothing -- although that is why I said above teams probably give some guarantee incentive to get you to sign the deal at first.

Last edited:
That is the old system (see more below on that)

This link explains how it works currently
Two-way contract FAQ

Although the link above does not state the flat annual salary, other googling suggest the flat slary was $463,000 last year and will be about $502,000 this year.
A few key conditions:
- The salary is the same amount whether the player is in the NBA or the G-League. Its 1/2 the minimum annual salary of a normal player.
- The player can play up to 50 games in the NBA - he can play more but then the team must convert him to a full contract at that point, and would then need to clear a normal roster spot for them,
- The contract is not-guaranteed, so the players can be cut at any point, and will only receive their pro-rated salary up to that point.
- I suspect there is some guarantee however that is granted to give some incentive to sign the contract initially. Just a guess but based on other pre-season contracts to show up at NBA camp probably like $50,000.

The old system was a G-League guarantee of $75,000 (which is more than the G-League average of closer to $40-$50K). The player could only play 45 days in the NBA, which would then earn them an extra $204,000 beyond that $75K (if they played 45 days). If a team wanted them more than 45 days, they would need to be converted to a full contract for the rest of the season. The $75,000 however was guaranteed based on my understanding,

So the new system provides much more to the player if they stay in a team's system the entire year ($502K vs $75K). So its much better that way. But there are a few disadvantages to the new system:
- The older system allows the player to get to a full NBA contract much earlier (45 days vs 50 games). That being said the expectation of a 2 way playe is to develop in the team's system and not really play much NBA that first year.
- The older system was a guaranteed $75,000 once you signed it. Technically Buddy B could be cut in pre-season and earn nothing -- although that is why I said above teams probably give some guarantee incentive to get you to sign the deal at first.
This is better info than what I had. I didn't realize they get paid so much better regardless of if they're with the NBA club or on the development team. That's really solid for the player.

This is better info than what I had. I didn't realize they get paid so much better regardless of if they're with the NBA club or on the development team. That's really solid for the player.

I didn't realize it was a flat salary either - initially googled to find out what the floor was. I think it just changed last year.

I didn't realize it was a flat salary either - initially googled to find out what the floor was. I think it just changed last year.

I guess it’s like being a PWO in college football?

Makes a ton of sense for NBA teams, since they have 2 more talented players they have more control of, and can call up if a roster player gets injured or just doesn’t pan out.

And it can work out very well for players -
See: OBrissy.

I guess it’s like being a PWO in college football?

Makes a ton of sense for NBA teams, since they have 2 more talented players they have more control of, and can call up if a roster player gets injured or just doesn’t pan out.

And it can work out very well for players -
See: OBrissy.
They also don't count against the salary cap, so those roster slots can be really valuable for teams.

The one concerning part of these contracts is that they are non-guaranteed and the player can be cut at any time. And that becomes a real issue if teams can flip the 2 way contracts during the season. That being said I have not seen any rules in this regard as I searched google. Can teams only grant 2 "2-way contracts" during the year, or can they always carry 2 "2-way contracts" and flip them over the season. Makes a big difference, and I am not sure what the answer is.

Teams don't own rights to about 75% of their G-League rosters, and those players can be poached by an NBA team at any time (if its an NBA 10 day contract) - so they would have incentive to flip the 2 way if a prospect is underwhelming in order to protect somebody else who is impressing on their G-League team.

If a "two-way" player is on a non playoff team, they are almost guaranteed to at least play some NBA during the hard tanking done at the end of the season. While Detroit is improving, I doubt they are a playoff team yet, so if BB keeps his 2 way spot he will almost certainly play some NBA games in March and April 2023

The one concerning part of these contracts is that they are non-guaranteed and the player can be cut at any time. And that becomes a real issue if teams can flip the 2 way contracts during the season. That being said I have not seen any rules in this regard as I searched google. Can teams only grant 2 "2-way contracts" during the year, or can they always carry 2 "2-way contracts" and flip them over the season. Makes a big difference, and I am not sure what the answer is.

Teams don't own rights to about 75% of their G-League rosters, and those players can be poached by an NBA team at any time (if its an NBA 10 day contract) - so they would have incentive to flip the 2 way if a prospect is underwhelming in order to protect somebody else who is impressing on their G-League team.

They can always carry 2. If a player on a two way is converted to a full contract or is waived that player can be replaced with another two way contract player. I read that in an article explaining two ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom