Buddy Boeheim: Signing 2-way with Pistons | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim: Signing 2-way with Pistons

well...good luck to Buddy. If he can somehow develop the ability to cover 1 on 1 at the NBA level, he will likely have a long NBA career...but big if for now.

I think this was the (initially hard to fathom) payoff that JB was going for the last 4 years...his gambit cashed in.

...got his son into an NBA gig. Incrdible outcome.

At least all of the floundering the team did lately has a silver lining...

The typical salary for a G League player is $37,000 a year. Most 10-day contracts are signed for a prorated portion of the league's minimum salary, which means most players signing 10-day contracts are making double their yearly G League salary in just 10 days in the N.B.A.Dec 29, 2021
I don't understand why the NBA with its limitless resources can't better subsidize the salaries of G-League players to provide a more livable income -- say $75,000 per year. The same goes with MLB with minor league players often living in border-line poverty.

I don't understand why the NBA with its limitless resources can't better subsidize the salaries of G-League players to provide a more livable income -- say $75,000 per year. The same goes with MLB with minor league players often living in border-line poverty.

I think there is a plan for this, from the rumors I've heard. They basically want to get the G-League to be a really viable option with more investment from the teams, as well (financial, people, etc) to make it an even more viable option for those that don't want to go to college. I think between the media rights deal that's coming up and the eventual waving of the one year removed from HS, it will come together at a similar time.

I think you'll also see expanded educational and business opportunities aligned, as well. It will start being framed up much more as a partial pro academy for those juniors and seniors that want to play.

I agree they could have a better salary, but I had a friend play a couple of stints in the g-league and during the season the players basically bear no living expenses on their own. Housing, meals, training, transportation etc. are all either per diem or covered by the team in different ways. He made more money playing overseas but he banked most of his g league money because all his income was discretionary.

Vast difference for baseball. AAA, AA, A, rookie, x 25 plus coaches.

I agree they could have a better salary, but I had a friend play a couple of stints in the g-league and during the season the players basically bear no living expenses on their own. Housing, meals, training, transportation etc. are all either per diem or covered by the team in different ways. He made more money playing overseas but he banked most of his g league money because all his income was discretionary.
Thanks for that. I had no idea they subsidized that much. I did know that many leagues in many other countries do likewise (rent, free car use, etc.), which makes it possible to bring back 4 or 5 digits for a few months' commitment

You have to take the bus tho

Screenshot_20220702-234309_Instagram.jpg

They’d make a lot more if fans cared about the G league but they play to less people than high school teams.

The Buddy System – The Pistons wasted no time on draft night in agreeing with Syracuse sniper Buddy Boeheim on a two-way contract. That was a vote of confidence for a player who didn’t appear on most top 100 draft boards, but it speaks to the importance of the one elite tool Boeheim brings to the table: 3-point shooting.
Boeheim, whose relationship with Pistons general manager Troy Weaver and assistant GM and Cruise GM and president Rob Murphy goes back to their days as assistants to longtime Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, Buddy’s dad, shot 36 percent over four years at Syracuse from the 3-point line while taking 56 percent of his shots from the arc against defenses dedicated to taking that shot away from him. He’ll have to show he can defend respectably and be able to make opponents pay for overaggressive closeouts to have a chance and the first hints of that ability will be of interest at Summer League.

The Buddy System – The Pistons wasted no time on draft night in agreeing with Syracuse sniper Buddy Boeheim on a two-way contract. That was a vote of confidence for a player who didn’t appear on most top 100 draft boards, but it speaks to the importance of the one elite tool Boeheim brings to the table: 3-point shooting.
Boeheim, whose relationship with Pistons general manager Troy Weaver and assistant GM and Cruise GM and president Rob Murphy goes back to their days as assistants to longtime Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, Buddy’s dad, shot 36 percent over four years at Syracuse from the 3-point line while taking 56 percent of his shots from the arc against defenses dedicated to taking that shot away from him. He’ll have to show he can defend respectably and be able to make opponents pay for overaggressive closeouts to have a chance and the first hints of that ability will be of interest at Summer League.

Let's go, Buddy!

I think he'll be ok for making opponents pay for overaggressive closeouts. He'll be able to side step and get a look if his release is quick. I also think he may have a bit better vision than he showcased last year with more spacing and basically being the third pass or so if there are aggressive closeouts. I think being a #1 option last year will help with that (once he gets used to more rotational defense versus the on-ball harassment he had being the first option).

Shot has to be up and out quick and maintain it's integrity. He has to make sure he is strong, especially lower body, so he can't just get worked from the perimeter to the rim on D, etc.

Defense worries me and speed of his shot worries me, but at least the path is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom