Buddy | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

Another thing Buddy has been impressive with, as his playing time has expanded, is his execution of a few decisive outlet passes to get us into transition quickly.

Not difficult stuff, but I thought it was worth a mention. Buddy doesn’t have that slick handle everyone wants - but you can be an effective player by being smart, making quick decisions, and utilizing/setting up your teammates.

What if Buddy turns out to be the best 3 point shooter in SU history. He has been coached by some of the best coaches in the game since he was an infant. He has textbook form. Have any of you negative Neds and Debbie downers stop to consider that, or did those facts just slip by you in your mindless glee to bash anything Boeheim?

Folks, Buddy is shooting 25% from the field and 24% from three.

Here's the list of recent rotation players with similar shooting numbers:

Frankie 15-16 - 29%/10%

That's the list. At least going as far back as '01.

Assuming Buddy continues to be a part of the rotation and maintains his current shooting percentages, he'll be the worst shooting rotation player we've had this century.

He's exceptional in an undesirable way.
He’s exceptional and desirable lately

What if Buddy turns out to be the best 3 point shooter in SU history. He has been coached by some of the best coaches in the game since he was an infant. He has textbook form. Have any of you negative Neds and Debbie downers stop to consider that, or did those facts just slip by you in your mindless glee to bash anything Boeheim?

I love his form and all, but I don't see him being on the floor enough to make that happen.

He's been en fuego the past 5 or so games. Can you imagine the angst if he was doing it at Gonzaga while we need shooters. He also did a dribble pull up for 2 which we haven't seen since the exhibition games and the steal and monster flush at the other end was a thing of majesty!

Really? I would expect him to start and play 30 minutes a game for the next three seasons.

His dad showed you just last game that that's not true, at this stage of his development.

We've never seen what 30 minutes at this level would do to his shot either. He's not a walking muscle like Triche or Cooney were.

Honestly, it could happen, but right now, I'm not seeing that level of usage.

He's got a legitimate chance to be a high-volume 40% guy, which would move him to the head of the class.

Would be interesting to look at the stats to see what it would actually take.

If he starts/continues to hit at those rates though, teams will adapt. What happens then?

His dad showed you just last game that that's not true, at this stage of his development.

We've never seen what 30 minutes at this level would do to his shot either. He's not a walking muscle like Triche or Cooney were.

Honestly, it could happen, but right now, I'm not seeing that level of usage.
Disagree . He’s a high level usage player .

Buddy is a good player who will only get better. If he can develop his ball handling skills and the ability to create his shot off the dribble he will take it to the next level.

Disagree . He’s a high level usage player .

Based on what? We've got a couple more scorers coming in next year. Unless we go down a couple defections, there is no need to play him that much. He had a good game against a team that is really not deep. His dad, the coach, chose not to play him against a deep team that plays aggressive defense. I'm not saying he's a 5 minutes a half kind of player, but I also don't see 15 minutes a half. Yet.

Based on what? We've got a couple more scorers coming in next year. Unless we go down a couple defections, there is no need to play him that much. He had a good game against a team that is really not deep. His dad, the coach, chose not to play him against a deep team that plays aggressive defense. I'm not saying he's a 5 minutes a half kind of player, but I also don't see 15 minutes a half. Yet.
Va tech was an anomaly. Those guys had a ton of rest/ game planning vs 1 day. Sure I wouldn’t play him against pressure d (right now). But next year? Sure . Without hesitation .

Va tech was an anomaly. Those guys had a ton of rest/ game planning vs 1 day. Sure I wouldn’t play him against pressure d (right now). But next year? Sure . Without hesitation .

I'd like to see him play as well because I think he's got the chance to be a really great shooter. And his rotations in the zone are getting better every time I see him.

I don't want him as a high usage guy because I don't want to see that many high usage guys ever again. The days of three SU players leading the nation in minutes played is, I HOPE, long over. 20-25 a game would be ideal. Maybe by the time he's a senior he's a 30 minutes a game guy.

Would be interesting to look at the stats to see what it would actually take.

If he starts/continues to hit at those rates though, teams will adapt. What happens then?
He'll adapt and continue to develop over the next three years?

His primary role right now is to come off the bench and shoot, and he has no problem pulling the trigger and has some serious range. For the most part, he hasn't forced a lot of bad shots, and while he's gotten many clean looks, he's also shown the ability to convert while under some pressure. I expected him to be good, but didn't think we'd see anything like this from him as a freshman. Glad I was wrong.

He'll adapt and continue to develop over the next three years?

His primary role right now is to come off the bench and shoot, and he has no problem pulling the trigger and has some serious range. For the most part, he hasn't forced a lot of bad shots, and while he's gotten many clean looks, he's also shown the ability to convert while under some pressure. I expected him to be good, but didn't think we'd see anything like this from him as a freshman. Glad I was wrong.

So just for fun I googled Gmac. Just from a numbers standpoint I don't see it. Gerry played 35 games his frosh year alone, averaging 35.3 minutes per game. Career 400 3s made.

Edit - Buddy has 20 made 3s this year. He needs to make about 80 more for the rest of the season to keep pace.

Last edited:
I'd like to see him play as well because I think he's got the chance to be a really great shooter. And his rotations in the zone are getting better every time I see him.

I don't want him as a high usage guy because I don't want to see that many high usage guys ever again. The days of three SU players leading the nation in minutes played is, I HOPE, long over. 20-25 a game would be ideal. Maybe by the time he's a senior he's a 30 minutes a game guy.
I hear you . He’s just a damn good player , would love to see him out there as much as possible
eventually (and not because he’s the coaches son).

So just for fun I googled Gmac. Just from a numbers standpoint I don't see it. Gerry played 35 games his frosh year alone, averaging 35.3 minutes per game. Career 400 3s made.
I was thinking of "best" in terms of career 3-point shooting percentage for guys who shot them in volume. 400 made 3s is unlikely.

I was thinking of "best" in terms of career 3-point shooting percentage for guys who shot them in volume. 400 made 3s is unlikely.

Oh, well that's a horse of a different color then, isn't it?

No idea how they figure those stats out, and I think it's time for bed. I've had enough screen time for today.

Yeah he had a great game.

That was a lot of fun tonight. Holy we got good fans Conte Forum was 70 percent Cuse.

Buddy gets his shot off quick.

Hes bigger than you think too he guarded Herons kid and was way taller and thicker standing next to him I had good seats like 5th row.

He's a good player who quite frankly helped Battle win us this game. He is earning his minutes because he's making shots on a more consistent basis than anyone else. His other contributions are not keeping him on the floor. Down the road he is going to be a 2nd or 3d option that good teams have.

He's been en fuego the past 5 or so games. Can you imagine the angst if he was doing it at Gonzaga while we need shooters. He also did a dribble pull up for 2 which we haven't seen since the exhibition games and the steal and monster flush at the other end was a thing of majesty!

I think he did this in one of the last three home games. Not the one where he scored 13 but the other one.

Anyway, I like players with that awareness and skill to turn a difficult look into an easier one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom