Buddy | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

Oh, well that's a horse of a different color then, isn't it?

No idea how they figure those stats out, and I think it's time for bed. I've had enough screen time for today.
It's shots made divided by shots taken. Then you sort highest to lowest after selecting a minimum number of shots taken, say 200.

It's shots made divided by shots taken. Then you sort highest to lowest after selecting a minimum number of shots taken, say 200.

Yeah, I was wondering about the minimum number. I know how the math is done.

He's a good player who quite frankly helped Battle win us this game. He is earning his minutes because he's making shots on a more consistent basis than anyone else. His other contributions are not keeping him on the floor. Down the road he is going to be a 2nd or 3d option that good teams have.
Common misconception.

Buddy is improving right before our eyes, in-season, in all aspects of his game. Obviously, his 3pt% has improved. He drove this game. He got the ball took it late across half court and pulled it out - the JB way to play when with the lead late in the game. He had a late steal. No boneheaded turnovers.

He has gone from winning the third guard minutes, to playing in the second half honors, to playing in the closing minutes. And he has done well.

Common misconception.

Buddy is improving right before our eyes, in-season, in all aspects of his game. Obviously, his 3pt% has improved. He drove this game. He got the ball took it late across half court and pulled it out - the JB way to play when with the lead late in the game. He had a late steal. No boneheaded turnovers.

He has gone from winning the third guard minutes, to playing in the second half honors, to playing in the closing minutes. And he has done well.
All true - that said if he misses his first two 3's he is not getting those kind of minutes.

He'll adapt and continue to develop over the next three years?

His primary role right now is to come off the bench and shoot, and he has no problem pulling the trigger and has some serious range. For the most part, he hasn't forced a lot of bad shots, and while he's gotten many clean looks, he's also shown the ability to convert while under some pressure. I expected him to be good, but didn't think we'd see anything like this from him as a freshman. Glad I was wrong.
Buddy's role just may be expanding. He's gone from winning the third guard minutes, to second half play, to just this last game being in there at the end.

Buddy's trial at closing minutes looked good. No boneheaded plays plus the late pull out and the steal. Hughes and OB have both showed problems, PC can always do bizarre things (see end of 1st half at Duke). I was surprised not to see Frank at the end of last game. I think Buddy may have a place at the end of close games but generally in for either Eli, OB, or PC.

Buddy's role just may be expanding. He's gone from winning the third guard minutes, to second half play, to just this last game being in there at the end.

Buddy's trial at closing minutes looked good. No boneheaded plays plus the late pull out and the steal. Hughes and OB have both showed problems, PC can always do bizarre things (see end of 1st half at Duke). I was surprised not to see Frank at the end of last game. I think Buddy may have a place at the end of close games but generally in for either Eli, OB, or PC.
Buddy is developing nicely and has more than earned his way on to the court, but I think JB's rotations from game to game (and at the end of games) will still be situationally dependent. He has many more options available to him right now than he has in recent seasons, and that's a great thing. I believe we haven't seen the last of Carey as an impact player this season, and wouldn't be surprised to see JB go to him in a track meet game like we often see against teams like UNC.

Besides his shooting what I found impressive about Buddy last night was his poise. Although BC did not employ an all out press he still handled the ball with confidence and did not turn it over or dribble into the trap. No thoughtless, completely avoidable Frank/Oshae like turnovers. He is not intimidated. His closeouts on the zone were much improved. While I recognize that the smaller Herren was guarding him it still was good to see him put the ball on the floor and take advantage of the opportunity to go into the lane and hit that short jumper.
The three he hit from Tyus with the shot clock running down was the biggest non tyus play of the game. Like I said, the kid is not afraid. He wanted the ball and in fact at other points was calling for the ball and was visibly frustrated when he didn't get it. Pretty exciting development going on here.

Buddy is developing nicely and has more than earned his way on to the court, but I think JB's rotations from game to game (and at the end of games) will still be situationally dependent. He has many more options available to him right now than he has in recent seasons, and that's a great thing. I believe we haven't seen the last of Carey as an impact player this season, and wouldn't be surprised to see JB go to him in a track meet game like we often see against teams like UNC.

Not sure. There might not be enough minutes to go around for our 3 guards as is. Its been like 2 months since Carey last played well.

In the thread about next years back court I floated the idea of Tyus possibly pulling a Gbinje next year and starting at the 1. After last night I don't think that is ludicrous.

I'm not sure about JC's PT for the rest of the year. We're half way through the ACC schedule, the time for tinkering is about over. Buddy/Battle has enough difference over any JC combo that I think JC may have to bide his time until next year. I'd love to see JC because I love watching players develop. But I think JB is more concerned about maximizing this years team, and that might mean continuing the ride on Buddy's improvement.

The tinkering that may be still in progress are the closers. Buddy is passing the small incremental increases in duties/responsibilities with flying colors the others - OB/Eli/PC not so much. This team needs a little more bball intelligence at the end. I'm surprised we haven't seen a Frank/Buddy/Battle/Marek + one of OB/Eli ending lineup.

Not sure. There might not be enough minutes to go around for our 3 guards as is. Its been like 2 months since Carey last played well.

In the thread about next years back court I floated the idea of Tyus possibly pulling a Gbinje next year and starting at the 1. After last night I don't think that is ludicrous.
What's ludicrous is you think Battle is going to be back.

I'm not sure about JC's PT for the rest of the year. We're half way through the ACC schedule, the time for tinkering is about over. Buddy/Battle has enough difference over any JC combo that I think JC may have to bide his time until next year. I'd love to see JC because I love watching players develop. But I think JB is more concerned about maximizing this years team, and that might mean continuing the ride on Buddy's improvement.

The tinkering that may be still in progress are the closers. Buddy is passing the small incremental increases in duties/responsibilities with flying colors the others - OB/Eli/PC not so much. This team needs a little more bball intelligence at the end. I'm surprised we haven't seen a Frank/Buddy/Battle/Marek + one of OB/Eli ending lineup.
I just think things are more fluid than you believe with this team.

What's ludicrous is you think Battle is going to be back.

Its Buddys thread don't want to get into this it drives me bonkers our fans assuming everyone is going to leave early not sure why he wouldn't make the correct call again if he isn't a lock to be one of the first 50 names called. G League/Europe to the NBA is a tough path. Playing PG for a full season would raise his stock. Lets hope he has a huge March and goes 1st round.

Back to Buddy if Oshae leaves I think he only needs one summer in the weight room to be able to play the 3 at times and do a good job rebounding and guarding bigger players. We won't see him there this year but hes probably already big/strong enough to play there if we needed him to injuries/foul trouble etc.

Its Buddys thread don't want to get into this it drives me bonkers our fans assuming everyone is going to leave early not sure why he wouldn't make the correct call again if he isn't a lock to be one of the first 50 names called. G League/Europe to the NBA is a tough path. Playing PG for a full season would raise his stock. Lets hope he has a huge March and goes 1st round.

Back to Buddy if Oshae leaves I think he only needs one summer in the weight room to be able to play the 3 at times and do a good job rebounding and guarding bigger players. We won't see him there this year but hes probably already big/strong enough to play there if we needed him to injuries/foul trouble etc.
I say Battle is going, because that is what I believe. It is clearly the odds on thing to think. It is in no way a bad reflection on him. I rejoice that he is here this year. I think Battle is a lock to go in the top 50.

On to Buddy. Buddy at the 3 right now would be a disaster. He is not athletic enough or strong enough to handle that. We certainly don't need him there now - Eli/OB/Marek/Battle.
It would be unfortunate if OB left, but yes then JB may have to do something drastic like Buddy at the 3 for some minutes - kind of like when Rautins went there. Still there would be Eli/QG/ and Marek that are better suited. But with our slotted center problems next year, and needing Marek at center, it might be something that would be considered.

I say Battle is going, because that is what I believe. It is clearly the odds on thing to think. It is in no way a bad reflection on him. I rejoice that he is here this year. I think Battle is a lock to go in the top 50.

On to Buddy. Buddy at the 3 right now would be a disaster. He is not athletic enough or strong enough to handle that. We certainly don't need him there now - Eli/OB/Marek/Battle.
It would be unfortunate if OB left, but yes then JB may have to do something drastic like Buddy at the 3 for some minutes - kind of like when Rautins went there. Still there would be Eli/QG/ and Marek that are better suited. But with our slotted center problems next year, and needing Marek at center, it might be something that would be considered.

Agreed. Even if OB were to leave(I don’t see it at all, but I’ll play along) there’s Hughes and QG as SF’s and Dolezaj and Braswell as PFs. I don’t see any reason or need to play Buddy out of position at SF.

Buddy will compete for the starting SG spot, and if he doesn’t get it he’s likely the first guard off the bench again like he is right now...but likely without a veteran star like Battle in the backcourt - so he probably has a great chance to play 20+ mpg even off the bench.

Plus, once he gets his free throw shooting on track, that should be an additional argument for keeping him in at the end in games in which we have a lead.

Plus, once he gets his free throw shooting on track, that should be an additional argument for keeping him in at the end in games in which we have a lead.

Boeheim (the coach, not the freshman) prioritizes defense over offense like nothing else when he's got a late lead. Without getting people too riled, let's just say that the kid isn't one of the two best defensive guards on the team this season. I'd be very surprised to see him closing tight games if Battle and Howard are both available.

And some excellent work by Sgt Cuse. Glad to see I didn't write anything too embarrassing.

I guess this is why I am a fan and not a Hall of Fame basketball coach. Jimmy kinda new what he was doing once again and I was kinda off base with the post.

Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom