Buddy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

Who would have thought we would have a thread like this when Buddy first announced he was coming to Syracuse? My guess is this thread eventually becomes the all time post leader in the history of this board.

Is that the same league that "red light" Jalen Carey shot 45% from deep in? If it is, and he was shooting a higher percentage from three until last game, shouldn't we unleash him?

I mean, he was known as a shooter coming out, shot over 38% on over 300 attempts his last two years of D1 ball...I mean, I guess that makes him not the worst shooter ever.

Did you happen to look up Patterson's HS stats before making that point? Just curious. I bet you didn't. :) Struggled to start the year, young player, sounds like traditional red light territory, no??????

Who were all of our good three point shooters the years Patterson and BJ were playing?
If you haven’t heard of EYBL I don’t think you probably follow recruiting. When you say last 2 years are you talking about Ron now or high school. He did take a year of prep at Brewster. He is not a top 100 kid. I don’t have his stats memorized but I feel like his wing span and some other factors in recruiting for the zone made him appealing. He was in the Ennis class so wasn’t expected to be an immediate contributor. He was never a shooter like Buddy was at Brewster.

As far as Buddy goes he needs several off season(s) hard core speed/agility workouts. His shot will come in time and until some of our veteran players are actually more consistent shooting from the outside he will be playing some minutes. As we all know, we have some major problems in other areas of the team and I am sorry to say it does not look bright into the near future. Something has to change whether it is the coach, the defense or more than likely the attitude of the team or it will be an extremely long couple of winters ahead!!

Does that really work? Serious question—i have no experience with it. I have tended to believe that kind of thing had benefits for sprinters and such, who already had those skills/talents and need to exploit them for simple tasks—sprints/sprint starts, etc. But, for a slow basketball player, is it realistic to believe it would make an observable difference?

Buddy will be okay. He'll develop like Janulis, and we'll never see Curry-like quickness. I just think it'll be not this year.

If you haven’t heard of EYBL I don’t think you probably follow recruiting. When you say last 2 years are you talking about Ron now or high school. He did take a year of prep at Brewster. He is not a top 100 kid. I don’t have his stats memorized but I feel like his wing span and some other factors in recruiting for the zone made him appealing. He was in the Ennis class so wasn’t expected to be an immediate contributor. He was never a shooter like Buddy was at Brewster.

I'm just saying, Jalen shot 45% from 3 - why doesn't he have the green light that Buddy has? JBs philosophy has suddenly shifted to, "this kid shot well before college, green light!" That seems incredibly new.

I guess I was just asking as Patterson's rep was that he was a decent shooter - so I was asking what the percentage was because you're using HS shooting percentages as a justification...whilst waving off COLLEGE shooting percentages. Which might seem somewhat relevant.

I'm just saying, Jalen shot 45% from 3 - why doesn't he have the green light that Buddy has? JBs philosophy has suddenly shifted to, "this kid shot well before college, green light!" That seems incredibly new.

I guess I was just asking as Patterson's rep was that he was a decent shooter - so I was asking what the percentage was because you're using HS shooting percentages as a justification...whilst waving off COLLEGE shooting percentages. Which might seem somewhat relevant.
I think the situations are different. Jalen is an athletic combo guard who can shoot. He has obviously lost confidence in his shoot. I don’t think Boeheim is saying don’t shoot. He is saying your shot isn’t falling drive it. Buddy is a kid that is only capable of shooting and is in there solely to do that so it’s like you are out there as a shooter if you have a good look take it.

I think the situations are different. Jalen is an athletic combo guard who can shoot. He has obviously lost confidence in his shoot. I don’t think Boeheim is saying don’t shoot. He is saying your shot isn’t falling drive it. Buddy is a kid that is only capable of shooting and is in there solely to do that so it’s like you are out there as a shooter if you have a good look take it.

I'm just arguing for fun mostly - I get your point. Again, I'm okay with the BB playing time. I just REALLY understand where people are coming from when arguing that it's seemingly different treatment than what we've seen historically. Because it really does seem that way - and people arguing that it just can't be the case are probably just wanting to see whatever they want.

I'm all for JB playing Frosh early - and playing kids based on what they MIGHT give us if they get the PT to work out the kinks in their game while transitioning from HS to the college game. I just recall teams where nobody could shoot, we were kind of bad, and we still couldn't get kids with potential into the game...even if they were better athletes, and better defensively than BB.

After last night and the past few games I’m definitely not convinced Carey deserves more minutes than Buddy.

Neither one of them deserve more minutes, it’s really a function of what guys in front of them are/aren’t doing and what in particular you need. Neither one is giving you reason to be confident you are going to get what you believe (based on their skill sets) they might be able to provide if used.

Our subbing at the guard is like the opposite of Russian Roulette only instead of hoping the chamber is empty after spinning the barrel, we’re hoping the barrel stops on the chamber with something in it and we’ll get something productive from one or the other of them when they are inserted. Neither has played such that we should expect it.

Neither one of them deserve more minutes, it’s really a function of what guys in front of them are/aren’t doing and what in particular you need. Neither one is giving you reason to be confident you are going to get what you believe (based on their skill sets) they might be able to provide if used.

Our subbing at the guard is like the opposite of Russian Roulette only instead of hoping the chamber is empty after spinning the barrel, we’re hoping the barrel stops on the chamber with something in it and we’ll get something productive from one or the other of them when they are inserted. Neither has played such that we should expect it.

Based on the first half both Howard (including I think 3 fouls) and Carey had there wasn't much choice. Buddy hung in there, didn't kill the team, and made a big shot in the context of the half.

Frank flipped the switch, JB went with the same five guys most of the second half, and it wasn't an issue.

In the long run the team will be better off if Battle and Hughes don't have to play 40 minutes a game. If Carey and Buddy can play 12 solid minutes a game between them, the team will be better off.

Angst over how many minutes Boeheim is getting was, and will be, ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm one of JB's biggest supporters but playing his son so many minutes in an ACC game has to be playing mental games with ALL of the other players. I believe that is the issue here. Buddy should not be playing at all in ACC games, he looked lost, he looked small and he looked slow. Big deal he made a couple of threes, Ky Feldman could have done the same.

Lol.

And to do that we turned to a guy shooting 25%.
Shooters shoot. Everyone about him shows he is a shooter. Eventually, he will be an above average shooter, by %. To do that, he will have to go on a bit of a tear.

I still fully expect BB to be one of the best all time shooters here. He has perfect form. Now that he’s hit some I expect him to correct his percentage with rising confidence. You can tell by his stroke that he is a premier shooter.

I've been thinking that Braswell should be getting Buddy type minutes. Good to see Buddy finally make some.

Buddy should be getting Brawell type minutes that is it.

JB said it as well.. how you practice is driving your court time and then the rest is situational team to team.
I hope yesterday was something that will 'stick' with Buddy, confidence-wise.
Still, i think we've heard of players being 'lights out' in practice, and going Oh-fer in games and not getting the same trust and benefit of the doubt. Whatever. No one among us doesn't not want buddy to not succeed. Am i missing a negative to get us back to positive?

Let's see it continue. We need it.
I used to play Rotisserie baseball (the precursor to fantasy sports). If Tony Gwynn hit .300 in the first half , you tried to trade for him because he was gonna hit .400 in the 2nd half, because he was a 350 .hitter.
Same thing for shooters. I think there is no reason the kid should not shoot 40%.

I hope yesterday was something that will 'stick' with Buddy, confidence-wise.
Still, i think we've heard of players being 'lights out' in practice, and going Oh-fer in games and not getting the same trust and benefit of the doubt. Whatever. No one among us doesn't not want buddy to not succeed. Am i missing a negative to get us back to positive?
I think JB's assessment of how his players are practicing extends beyond how well they shoot it there.

It obviously proved to be the right move and I'm happy with the result, but was anyone else shocked when Boeheim put Buddy back in for Hughes in the second half? It really seemed to happen at the point in the game where he has found his 5 guys and sticks with them no matter what. I was worried Buddy would cave to the intense press easier than Hughes, who seems to have a better handle. But he stepped up and didn't make any bad decisions. He even looked great on defense which was also slightly unexpected.

In my original Igor projections, I said he'd hit 34 triples on the season, but that 8 would come in one game (I was thinking of James Sutherland). He's currently at 22 with 13 games to go. I think he'll average 2 a game including that 8 trip outburst. That's 48 on the season. Pie in the sky. But, it's my pie...my sky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom