Buddy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy

there's zero reason braswell shouldnt be getting equal or more minutes than buddy based on performance.

at minimum - i am certain braswell would be better in a press - long fast and quick.

Well, as a tandem, who is playing better - (1) the forwards, Oshae and Eli Hughes, or (2) the guards, Frank and Tyus? I think with Frank's struggles, it's pretty clear he has been the weakest of the 4 starters.
So, where is the help needed more - at forward or at guard? Yes, Braswell might be a terrific shooter, too. So was Taurean Thompson. But you are most vulnerable defensively at the bottom of the zone, not the top. I think you can hide players easier at the top of the zone, at least for a few minutes at a time.

Frank Howard is slow and not a top ACC PG. he got beat down the court two times in row a major turning point. Buddy is slower than Frank, not good

Frank is getting over a broken ankle. At least his feet feel solid now; you can't expect him to be at 100% game speed. Buddy may be slow by top-end athletic standards, but Buddy, if he was a kid at Notre Dame playing for Mike Brey, he's exactly the kind of kid who gets nurtured by the coach, and he winds up killing us with 5 threes off the bench some game.

Buddy will be fine here. He was a top player on the EYBL elite prep circuit. He played for an elite AAU team, AC Rocks, that has placed multiple kids on very good D1 teams. He has all the tools. Just try to stop blaming him for his father's stubbornness as a coach about certain things.

Well, as a tandem, who is playing better - (1) the forwards, Oshae and Eli Hughes, or (2) the guards, Frank and Tyus? I think with Frank's struggles, it's pretty clear he has been the weakest of the 4 starters.
So, where is the help needed more - at forward or at guard? Yes, Braswell might be a terrific shooter, too. So was Taurean Thompson. But you are most vulnerable defensively at the bottom of the zone, not the top. I think you can hide players easier at the top of the zone, at least for a few minutes at a time.
if you need 3's (that can be the only reason buddy gets any minutes) - braswell is currently 50% from 3 on the year - and 75% overall FG.

he's raw and had a string of turnovers last outing - but if you are looking for a spark and wanna press - i'd consider him before buddy.

there's zero reason braswell shouldnt be getting equal or more minutes than buddy based on performance.

at minimum - i am certain braswell would be better in a press - long fast and quick.

I am behind Buddy because he fills a desperate need. BUT if there is one thing I would ask of the coaching staff its to press more and play Bras. Especially a game like last night. If Buddy is getting developed so should Braswell.

But Braswell isn't really ready physically from what I saw of him in person in NYC.

Starters may have been in the game while the deficit was being built but they’re also the ones most capable of erasing that kind of deficit. That’s why they’re the starters. Except for Howard, IMO- who’s game is not suited to the pace needed in that situation. Yeah, Carey was not good during his little stretch, but he’s also the kind of player who might catch a little fire after bungling it early. I dunno about him. He has a higher ceiling but also the lower floor. When you get down, though, you have to roll the dice and get more pace. And dynamicism. You might end up losing bigger, though.

In any case, I’m shocked at the defense here for Buddy’s minutes. Let’s separate the issues. It’s not even a matter of the father/son thing. Who here thought Buddy would be playing big, significant minutes in acc action? No one. The rationale that we needed a sniper is kinda ridiculous. Buddy has not shown himself to be a good enough shooter in games, and is certainly a minus defender. His time has not come, he hasn’t deserved the time in the situations he’s been given, and if I were on the team and putting in my work, I’d be a bit bothered by the ‘special treatment.’

Last edited:
Would you rather Braswell play over Hughes, Dolejaz, or Brissett...because that's who he'd be replacing, not Buddy.
personally i wanna press more - not only as a desperation play - i'd play a deeper rotation and press more so everyone can go all out when in the game...and in that scenario, braswell would play some but not a ton of minutes - besides i'd play MD @ the 5 - and hughes can play 2 (i think he's actually a shooting gaurd).

if there's room for buddy in the rotation then there's room for braswell, imo.

if you need 3's (that can be the only reason buddy gets any minutes) - braswell is currently 50% from 3 on the year - and 75% overall FG.

he's raw and had a string of turnovers last outing - but if you are looking for a spark and wanna press - i'd consider him before buddy.

So, which forward do you sit?

You have to play 3 guards - Tyus, Frank and Carey get the nod. But if none of them can hit a 3, Buddy's not displacing anybody if we need outside shooting. It's a roll of the dice.

Now, if you look at Braswell, you have Brissett, Hughes, who are both reasonably decent 3 point shooters, and Dolezaj. Of course, Dolezaj can move to center, so then who do you sub Braswell for? Brissett or Hughes? Do you think Braswell will be able to rebound and defend the corner jumper?

I think it's easier to see where Buddy's potential contribution is a better fit at guard than Braswell's contribution can be clearly seen at forward.

Braswell is shooting 50% - ON TWO ATTEMPTS. He made it against Northeastern.
Buddy has almost 50 attempts. You can't be serious in your comparison.
Again, I ask, which forward do you sit for Braswell, and what happens to our defense on the bottom when you do that?

Who is the returning player that has Buddy "supplanted"?

I must have completely missed that.

Poor choice of words - they weren't allowed to take minutes away from returning players.

In any case, I’m shocked at the defense here for Buddy’s minutes. Let’s separate the issues. It’s not even a matter of the father/son thing. Who here thought Buddy would be playing big, significant minutes in acc action? No one. The rationale that we needed a sniper is kinda ridiculous. Buddy has not shown himself to be a be a good enough shooter in games, and is certainly a minus defender. His time has not come, he hasn’t deserved the time in the situations he’s been given, and if I were on the team and putting in my work, I’d be a bit bothered by the ‘special treatment.’

This has always been JB's trademark.. Play upperclassmen exclusively unless he had a super frosh like GMac and Melo.. No middling Frosh EVER saw conf. action.. In the past he allowed the older guys to play through the funks and Frosh that weren't ready sat and sat and sat.. What changed in his game plan? No doubt the problem has been festering among some of the upperclassmen since Buddy's scholarship was announced.

He’s played the 9th most minutes on the team.

Exactly but don't let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but if I've learned anything on this board today, it's the list of posters who will make me reassess my opinion when they like one of my posts.

I don't know - I can't speak for anyone else, it's just sort of goes against history to give him minutes (or I'm just remembering recent history poorly). I will say, again, I'm okay with it, because I think we're HORRIBLE with developing players and getting them playing time. I've never understood why some Frosh can't even get a tiny bit of run at times...especially with whom they have in front of them.

But, that doesn't mean I'm not a tad confused about the leash, because, at the end of the day - his defense is kind of blah. And that was why none of those guys could sniff the court...I mean, BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson, just to throw out some recent names - these guys were at worst equally ready to contribute as Frosh. I know people will argue that, and say they sucked, but they couldn't play even a few minutes unless a state-of-emergency was declared.

GT came out of the halftime break and went on a 12-2 run against us in the first 4 minutes of the half. Putting us down by 13 points. Buddy was not on the floor for that. They put up 34 points the rest of the way, much of which we played at a faster pace than is ideal for us trying to get back into a game that we let slip away coming out of the half. You can argue that the game slipped away because we didn't prevent them from scoring or because we failed to score, take your pick, but what's it matter -- both are correct to a degree.

There may be some truth to your argument that Buddy is at a disadvantage due to lack of quickness and that he made some mistakes. But he didn't make any more mistakes than anyone else playing for us yesterday and frankly the ones made by a frosh, whether it be Buddy or Jalen, are less eggregious because they are inexperienced freshman. You can make an argument that you play experienced players over frosh to avoid those mistakes. If both the experienced and inexperienced players are making mistakes that argument fails and I think that is what JB was looking at yesterday when he gave Buddy some run and tried to wring some made baskets out of him.

It's not like he played over someone that played better yesterday. He played because everyone played like dog crap.

Our arguably two best players Tyus and Brissett both played poorly(being polite), but people are focusing on Buddy, what nonsense. Buddy is a Frosh and he played better than Carey in this game. No this was a complete team loss and breakdown including coadhing.
Buddy is not the tremendous shooter he was advertised as but he will get better down the road. Blame Tyus , Brissett and possibly Hughes poor shooting.

I don't know - I can't speak for anyone else, it's just sort of goes against history to give him minutes. I will say, again, I'm okay with it, because I think we're HORRIBLE with developing players and getting them playing time. I've never understood why some Frosh can't even get a tiny bit of run at times...especially with whom they have in front of them.

But, that doesn't mean I'm not a tad confused about the leash, because, at the end of the day - his defense is kind of blah. And that was why none of those guys could sniff the court...I mean, BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson, just to throw out some recent names - these guys were at worst equally ready to contribute as Frosh. I know people will argue that, and say they sucked, but they couldn't play even a few minutes unless a state-of-emergency was declared.

You may have a point, but if you are going to make it effectively you have to provide examples (i) of frosh that got Boeheimed as frosh and proved later that they could be effective here and (ii) that there were guys in front of them that weren’t playing effectively. I know we don’t know that Buddy will be any more successful here than Bus or BJ, but you can’t assume he won’t be either.

carey has been yanked out of multiple games for SLIGHT mistakes - taking a shot late in the shot clock, shooting a 3 when wide open - if i was him and saw the leash buddy gets, i might be thinking twice.

IDK what is going in carey's head - but he was brash and full of swagger vs uconn - certainly raw and had mistakes - but also got some key buckets/steals too - now - he's tentative and not a threat at all.

i tink getting yanked out of games for shooting might be the issue here...

i prefer the original style he had earlier in the year to how he is playing now - is that due to coaching? fear ? a short leash playing mind tricks on him? idk.

he's not ready to be the main PG on a top 10 top 25 team - its good that he's being eased into a role next year - but he should be getting more than 10 minutes if buddy is getting 20, imo.

carey is shooting 41% FG this year - buddy is at 25% - its not even close.

What leash does Buddy get? The nepotism talk here is absurd.

I don't know - I can't speak for anyone else, it's just sort of goes against history to give him minutes (or I'm just remembering recent history poorly). I will say, again, I'm okay with it, because I think we're HORRIBLE with developing players and getting them playing time. I've never understood why some Frosh can't even get a tiny bit of run at times...especially with whom they have in front of them.

Kris Joseph is the most similar in my opinion. Was just not ready to play as a freshman. He would come in during situations and be over matched or would be out of position. If he was out of position he would get lit into. It happens frequently his freshman year. Buddy does the same things without getting lit into. I’m just asking for consistency.

You may have a point, but if you are going to make it effectively you have to provide examples (i) of frosh that got Boeheimed as frosh and proved later that they could be effective here and (ii) that there were guys in front of them that weren’t playing effectively. I know we don’t know that Buddy will be any more successful here than Bus or BJ, but you can’t assume he won’t be either.

Joseph, Southerland, Johnson - they all seemed more ready to go from the jump. Mookie Jones could come in and throw up some threes and play crap defense. He couldn't get in games. I mean, maybe other reasons too, but he could definitely do that too! :)

Fair point though. I think he's going to be fine (Buddy) and I'm happy with him playing, again, I think it's a flawed philosophy gluing kids to the bench - I'm just saying, I get where people are coming from with the "longer leash" comments. He seems to make some mistakes on defense that don't result in a month on the bench - but it seems like he plays because he MIGHT hit some threes. Which rarely seemed enough to help others out.

Last edited:
The fact that defense is even an issue shows how bad our offense is. Their bigs roasted us inside more than anything.

And you’re making excuses for Carey. He had 4 turnovers in 12 minutes. He’s a good athlete, but that’s it right now. He needs a ton of skill refinement and I’m not sure what changed Fromm UConn to now.

One of my iss
Exactly but don't let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but if I've learned anything on this board today, it's the list of posters who will make me reassess my opinion when they like one of my posts.

I don't think we have a conspiracy but I do think the minutes are a bit unwarranted. Since I started this thread (and ensuing madness) I figure I'll throw one more bit of info out there. This isn't a one game thing. If you look across our most recent 5 game stretch the bench minutes have gone:
'- Buddy 65 minutes with 26 shots
- Chukwu 64 minutes, 5 shots
- Sidibe 49 minutes, 8 shots
- Carey 47 minutes, 11 shots
- Braswell 13 minutes, 5 shots

That means Buddy is earning time like the 6th man. I get it that Chukwu and Sidibe play the same role but I am not sure anyone can tell me Buddy is the best option of the bench. Now for full disclosure, Carey got a DNP in the 5th game due to his hip so if you look at the last 4 games then Buddy and Carey are equal at 47 minutes. My point, and I think anyone who as seen the players perform knows that Carey is twice the player Buddy is right now. I don't agree with all the takes but I think it is a very fair topic to debate.

Cuse!

I don't know - I can't speak for anyone else, it's just sort of goes against history to give him minutes (or I'm just remembering recent history poorly). .

Andy Rautins, freshman year, 8 minutes a game, played 20 games, shot 37% overall from the floor, 50% from the foul line.

Shakey Potatoes - freshman year, 11 minutes a game, 32% from the floor, 26% from three.

Scoop Jardine, freshman year - almost 20 minutes per game, 47% from the floor, 28% from three. Averaged 5 points a game, 2.5 assists and 1.8 turnovers.

Andy Rautins, freshman year, 8 minutes a game, played 20 games, shot 37% overall from the floor, 50% from the foul line.

Shakey Potatoes - freshman year, 11 minutes a game, 32% from the floor, 26% from three.

Scoop Jardine, freshman year - almost 20 minutes per game, 47% from the floor, 28% from three. Averaged 5 points a game, 2.5 assists and 1.8 turnovers.

I think Scoop's Frosh season the whole team was Freshman...lol Arinze might have been a Junior, and.....was everyone else a Frosh? haha

The other two are white kids - I get what you're saying...and shame on you! ;)

Frank is getting over a broken ankle. At least his feet feel solid now; you can't expect him to be at 100% game speed. Buddy may be slow by top-end athletic standards, but Buddy, if he was a kid at Notre Dame playing for Mike Brey, he's exactly the kind of kid who gets nurtured by the coach, and he winds up killing us with 5 threes off the bench some game.

Buddy will be fine here. He was a top player on the EYBL elite prep circuit. He played for an elite AAU team, AC Rocks, that has placed multiple kids on very good D1 teams. He has all the tools. Just try to stop blaming him for his father's stubbornness as a coach about certain things.
i think that if you told anyone before the season that buddy would play 21 minutes in a 14 point loss to ga tech at home you would think there was some sort of catastrophe with season ending injuries. instead it is just ineptitude.

i think scoop only played because two guys were hurt

Exactly. But, how many in the last two games? Typically, with our rotation, a kid getting 9th most minutes isn't seeing important, first half, close game minutes in league action. So, unless he had done something spectacular before he started getting these 'peculiar minutes,' it's kinda hard to see why it's justified now.

Exactly. But, how many in the last two games? Typically, with our rotation, a kid getting 9th most minutes isn't seeing important, first half, close game minutes in league action. So, unless he had done something spectacular before he started getting these 'peculiar minutes,' it's kinda hard to see why it's justified now.

Were we winning the game? Weren't we falling behind by mid-teens and the starters were playing really, really flat? Was that just me? Kid hit a couple threes. You see if he can stay hot. If he doesn't, worst case, maybe you teach the "better" players a lesson about effort and floor time being earned, not assumed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom