Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 100 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Anyone else miss talking about who our next HC will be, what our draft will look like, what free agents will snub the bills and most importantly what is Russ Brandon's role in all this? I know I don't... at least for a week. Next Monday I very well might want to know what Brandon's role in the Jags game was.

Anyone else miss talking about who our next HC will be, what our draft will look like, what free agents will snub the bills and most importantly what is Russ Brandon's role in all this? I know I don't... at least for a week. Next Monday I very well might want to know what Brandon's role in the Jags game was.
Speaking of Free Agent snubs - Have fun watching the Playoffs from home Jeremy Maclin :)

If the Tyrod-led Bills beat Jax and win a playoff game, does that change things for him in Buffalo?

I don't think making the Playoffs at 9-7 does but winning a game, especially if he plays well, might. The Bills and Chiefs making the playoffs also puts us out of range for the upper echelon of QB unless we want to trade most of our stockpiled picks and I don't think Buffalo values anyone that way, except Darnold.

Last I heard they released "some" tickets. No clue why they don't just take the entire tarp off given tickets on the secondary market are about 2-3x more expensive than tickets to any other playoff game.

NFL/Advertising rules. I believe they were able to work around it.

If the Tyrod-led Bills beat Jax and win a playoff game, does that change things for him in Buffalo?

I don't think making the Playoffs at 9-7 does but winning a game, especially if he plays well, might. The Bills and Chiefs making the playoffs also puts us out of range for the upper echelon of QB unless we want to trade most of our stockpiled picks and I don't think Buffalo values anyone that way, except Darnold.

Based on making the playoffs (finally) I think as you noted Buffalo is out of the QB sweepstakes for the top guys unless they want to give up nearly every other pick which would be insane as I don't see any sure fire can't miss Luck type of QB. Its a bit Ironic in the year Buffalo finally secures a second 1st round pick and looks to set themselves up for a franchise QB they finally make the playoffs and so does the team with the other pick.

At this point I think Buffalo still wants to address the QB issue and to me they have 3 options.
1. Go After Cousins
2. Trade up slightly
3. Wait for later in the draft.

While I wouldn't mind Cousins, I assume he will have no shortage of suiters and at 25 mill + a year is probably unlikely and thats assuming he would even be intersted in Buffalo.

I assume the more realistic and viable option maybe to see how the draft flushes out and if guys like Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield fall a little bit and then move up to snag one. Now Buffalo needs to be careful with how they handle this and not overpay. Buffalo dropped way back last year for KC's pick and while they got an nice return they didn't get half their draft. With 2 2's and the remaining third Buffalo has a lot of draft capital left and we have a good amount of holes to fill. I also wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo trading back in the 1st or 2nd and getting some more picks.

Based on making the playoffs (finally) I think as you noted Buffalo is out of the QB sweepstakes for the top guys unless they want to give up nearly every other pick which would be insane as I don't see any sure fire can't miss Luck type of QB. Its a bit Ironic in the year Buffalo finally secures a second 1st round pick and looks to set themselves up for a franchise QB they finally make the playoffs and so does the team with the other pick.

At this point I think Buffalo still wants to address the QB issue and to me they have 3 options.
1. Go After Cousins
2. Trade up slightly

While I wouldn't mind Cousins, I assume he will have no shortage of suiters and at 25 mill + a year is probably unlikely and thats assuming he would even be intersted in Buffalo.

I assume the more realistic and viable option maybe to see how the draft flushes out and if guys like Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield fall a little bit and then move up to snag one. Now Buffalo needs to be careful with how they handle this and not overpay. Buffalo dropped way back last year for KC's pick and while they got an nice return they didn't get half their draft. With 2 2's and the remaining third Buffalo has a lot of draft capital left and we have a good amount of holes to fill. I also wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo trading back in the 1st or 2nd and getting some more picks.
I think this is spot on. We have 5 premium picks and I'd rather see them spent on the Front 7 and a RG while possibly taking a Mayfield/Jackson if they fall to us. If we resign Gaines and work the Draft this way, Tyrod Taylor, Kirk Cousins or an Alex Smith/Bridgewater/Bradford type would have a stacked team to QB.

Last I heard they released "some" tickets. No clue why they don't just take the entire tarp off given tickets on the secondary market are about 2-3x more expensive than tickets to any other playoff game.

They had 3500 seats under tarps, those were gone in 30 minutes. They had 1200 SRO, those were gone in under 10 minutes.

What other seats are there?

1. Go After Cousins
2. Trade up slightly

Great analysis. Given that both picks are likely to be in the high teens/lower 20s, I think it will be difficult to trade up given that there are so many other QB-hungry teams at the top of the draft this year. If Mayfield drops down I wouldn't hesitate to take him and then surround him with weapons...Jackson I am not quite as high on. Two other points of concern:

1) Mayfield will require coaching and OC who knows how to maximize him. Quite doubtful that our current offensive staff are the ones we should bank on to accomplish this- Tyrod isn't Montana but they have consistently played to his weaknesses vs. his strengths.

2) There are so many holes up and down the roster that using picks to replenish multiple positions would be advantageous.

Here's my question- if Buffalo COULD get Darnold or Allen (Rosen is going up top so I am assuming he is out), would you trade up?

And if they don't draft a QB who is ready...do we retain Tyrod on contract or hand the keys over to a journeyman/Peterman?

Put me among those who are not in favor of Cousins...too much $ when we need to overhaul the rest of the roster.

They had 3500 seats under tarps, those were gone in 30 minutes. They had 1200 SRO, those were gone in under 10 minutes.

What other seats are there?
I read they had 4 sections covered by tarps and released tickets for 2 of the sections. Maybe I'm misreading that?

Really comes down to Buffalo stopping the Jags running game, which is easier said than done as it's certainly not the Bills strength. If they do that, somehow get up 7-10 points and make Bortles actually play QB, they could win for sure. Like others have said, Tyrod does take care of the ball but Jags always seem to be scoring on D. Who knows??

That right there is the key to this game. Can Buffalo stop the run? I'm hoping we see more Milano and less Humber. Humber reminds me of Poz (haha now in Jax) as he seems to have a knack for tackling guys 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage.

LETS GO BUFFALO

Great analysis. Given that both picks are likely to be in the high teens/lower 20s, I think it will be difficult to trade up given that there are so many other QB-hungry teams at the top of the draft this year. If Mayfield drops down I wouldn't hesitate to take him and then surround him with weapons...Jackson I am not quite as high on. Two other points of concern:

1) Mayfield will require coaching and OC who knows how to maximize him. Quite doubtful that our current offensive staff are the ones we should bank on to accomplish this- Tyrod isn't Montana but they have consistently played to his weaknesses vs. his strengths.

2) There are so many holes up and down the roster that using picks to replenish multiple positions would be advantageous.

Here's my question- if Buffalo COULD get Darnold or Allen (Rosen is going up top so I am assuming he is out), would you trade up?

And if they don't draft a QB who is ready...do we retain Tyrod on contract or hand the keys over to a journeyman/Peterman?

Put me among those who are not in favor of Cousins...too much $ when we need to overhaul the rest of the roster.
I would. It sounds like Buffalo would for Darnold.

If we can't get one of the Top 3 - I'd roll with Tyrod and build the roster with the stockpiled draft picks and some mid-level free agents.

I think our only priority resign will be Gaines? Not sure what to do if he gets offered a ton of money by someone else given his injury history... he's filthy in this defense though. When healthy, we have one of the best secondaries in the NFL with White-Gaines-Hyde-Poyer.

That right there is the key to this game. Can Buffalo stop the run? I'm hoping we see more Milano and less Humber. Humber reminds me of Poz (haha now in Jax) as he seems to have a knack for tackling guys 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage.

LETS GO BUFFALO
Milano grades out as one of the top rookie Linebackers in the league. He's legit - fantastic pick.

Gaines healthy (and staying healthy) is huge for this game because he and White can play man on the outside, allowing us to stack the box.

1. Go After Cousins
2. Trade up slightly

Was just talking with a huge Skins fan. He says he wouldn't mind seeing Cousins go. Says he puts up nice stats but doesn't seem to show up for the game winning drive or big game (the Skins have big games?). Plus he's big money.

I was hoping to land a franchise QB too but with a healthy Benjamin and drafting a top shelf WR, Tyrod might be the man at a reasonable price.

Was just talking with a huge Skins fan. He says he wouldn't mind seeing Cousins go. Says he puts up nice stats but doesn't seem to show up for the game winning drive or big game (the Skins have big games?). Plus he's big money.

I was hoping to land a franchise QB too but with a healthy Benjamin and drafting a top shelf WR, Tyrod might be the man at a reasonable price.
What WRs are out there in the Draft? I think KB with Zay Jones in the slot (still have faith he can be good) and bringing back Deonta Thompson is a nice trio, IMO.

I'm glad we finally realized that O'Leary is a good pass catching TE.

Curtis Dvorak

@CurtisDvorak

This is nuts...#BillsMafia rolls deep...bought 7000+ wild card tix at 200% mark ups and doing this at the same time...props to all involved. Still want the #Bills to take a big L this Sunday but helping kids like this is more important than sports.
Andy Dalton
@andydalton14
Update: 1600 donors, $37,000! #BillsMafia we can’t thank you enough! This money is going to make a huge impact for seriously ill and physically challenged kids and their families! Keep it coming!!

I think this is spot on. We have 5 premium picks and I'd rather see them spent on the Front 7 and a RG while possibly taking a Mayfield/Jackson if they fall to us. If we resign Gaines and work the Draft this way, Tyrod Taylor, Kirk Cousins or an Alex Smith/Bridgewater/Bradford type would have a stacked team to QB.

I think Gaines is extremely important. Re-signing him allows the Bills to concentrate on the D-line, adding a LB, a WR, a RB and probably a RG. Even with that Buffalo will need to draft a S or a CB in the draft assuming they don't try to bring in a FA outside of re-signing Gaines.

The Oline is pretty good shape but not great. With Glenn coming back healthy we have Glenn, Wood, Incognito and Dawkins that are nice core. Need Incognito to keep playing at a high level. Perhaps Miller can bounce back after a lost year if hes back next year or maybe Buffalo will try to move Groy as a starter. I think another WR and a young RB are absolute musts. I would also bring back Cadet assuming he will be good to go by mini camp. I think teh Bills need to at least kick the tires on Cousins and see if there is any interest especially if they know the cost for moving up will be as ridiculous as we all suspect. I would rather have Tyrod then Smith or Bradford to be honest because Bradford can't stay healthy and Smith is clearly on the downside of his career. Bridgewater is an interesting target.

Both picks will be in the early 20's as the first 20 are set for non playoff teams. I agree about the holes in the roster, I would certainly not be in favor of trading our entire draft for Darnold or really anyone else at this point but I could get behind a trade up for one of the QBs that fell out of the to 10 like Mahomes last year. I don't see us having any shot at Darnold but if he fell a few spots and the Bills had a chance to move up I would definitely inquire into the costs but I can't see paying woudl likely be both first round picks probably one of our second picks and god knows what else. Not sure what there feeling about Allen is, but again I would take the same approach and stay in touch especially if Cle or the Giants throw a curveball and do something odd/stupid. I agree with you about Dennison but our hands are unfortunately tied there at least for now. I would have to assume that we would have some type of plan to bring along a QB like Mayfield or Jackson slowly and not throw them out there from Day 1.

If they don't draft a QB I think you have to stick with Tyrod unless you get Cousins. Tyrod is better then a journeyman type like a Fitzpatrick or Foles and I don't think Peterman is anywhere near ready after that SD disaster. I wouldn't be against signing a Bridgewater to compete with Tyrod and or Peterman but then you got a lot of $ tied up in the QB position as your paying Tyrod plus a Bridgewater type. The best thing would probably be to draft a QB like Mayfield and keep Tyrod as his contract is reasonable and Buffalo will have the Dareus money coming off next year and take less of a hit this year. Only other option would be a later round pick like Peterman last year but to be honest, I am not sure who profiles as a later round QB guy or a guy from say round 3 forward. Perhaps LongislandCuse can chime in there.

Both picks will be in the early 20's as the first 20 are set for non playoff teams. I agree about the holes in the roster, I would certainly not be in favor of trading our entire draft for Darnold or really anyone else at this point but I could get behind a trade up for one of the QBs that fell out of the to 10 like Mahomes last year. I don't see us having any shot at Darnold but if he fell a few spots and the Bills had a chance to move up I would definitely inquire into the costs but I can't see paying woudl likely be both first round picks probably one of our second picks and god knows what else. Not sure what there feeling about Allen is, but again I would take the same approach and stay in touch especially if Cle or the Giants throw a curveball and do something odd/stupid. I agree with you about Dennison but our hands are unfortunately tied there at least for now. I would have to assume that we would have some type of plan to bring along a QB like Mayfield or Jackson slowly and not throw them out there from Day 1.

If they don't draft a QB I think you have to stick with Tyrod unless you get Cousins. Tyrod is better then a journeyman type like a Fitzpatrick or Foles and I don't think Peterman is anywhere near ready after that SD disaster. I wouldn't be against signing a Bridgewater to compete with Tyrod and or Peterman but then you got a lot of $ tied up in the QB position as your paying Tyrod plus a Bridgewater type. The best thing would probably be to draft a QB like Mayfield and keep Tyrod as his contract is reasonable and Buffalo will have the Dareus money coming off next year and take less of a hit this year. Only other option would be a later round pick like Peterman last year but to be honest, I am not sure who profiles as a later round QB guy or a guy from say round 3 forward. Perhaps LongislandCuse can chime in there.

I would love for them to get Jackson or Mayfield but to me, I bet they both move up a bit where Bills would have to trade to get them but who knows, I would rather have Jackson than Mayfield, his athleticism is rare at the QB spot and I think he's a better passer than most give him credit for. Mayfield has a lot to offer but a lot of his passes, most I would say are off play action and seems like he has a guys schemed wide open quite often. I thought the Ok St Qb was decent as well from watching him a few times but the one thing you get with Tyrod is very few mistakes, maybe one real deep threat along with Zay and Benjamin and a NEW OC things look better next year. Cousins is a lot of money but I do think he would be a great fit in Buffalo, really solid down to earth dude but not sure he's worth ALL that money, too me he is just a notch below but who knows, like I said any guy who has made 45 mil the past two years driving a 95 conversion van to work everyday is OK in my book, he's pretty quirky but pretty damn good too

I did see where the Bills finally signed Carpenter which is good, he's a pretty solid asset

I haven't the slightest on later round QB picks. Once you get to that point, it's a crapshoot. Peterman was considered "NFL Ready" and flamed out spectacularly in his only game. Dak looked to be a steal until Zeke went out and he couldn't do anything without his safety net.

It's looking more and more like Tyrod or Cousins for next year unless some wild stuff happens in the Draft. Bridgewater could be an upgrade but Taylor is durable, while Teddy definitely is not. Everyone else out there is similar (Alex Smith) or injury prone (Bradford).

This defense could be special with the talent we have in the back end and McDermott's style. With all the picks we have, this team could get really good but I don't see us getting anywhere other than playing on WC Weekend for the foreseeable future because Taylor and/or our offensive philosophy sucks for playing the Pats so far - This is why I'm in favor of getting Cousins. Too much capital give up to go after Darnold or Rosen now and Cousins at least has shown he can sling it around the field. Give him a top 10 potential defense, a potentially good o-line with Shady, KB and co. and let's roll.

Last edited:

Anyone else worried about a Cali QB coming to buffalo? Hello Rob Jonson, JP Losman, Trentative Ediwards?

I think Darnold is legit and looks like the next Brett Favre or even John Elway at times but that bowl performance and his performance against opponents with similar talent give me a lot of pause. Darnold is not Andrew Luck. I think Rosen reminds me a LOT of Peyton Manning however... can make all the throws, all the talent in the world but never was able to win the big games in college. If I had to pick, I'd take Rosen as he has a much higher floor than Darnold in my opinion whereas Darnold has a much higher upside.

Call me crazy but I hate Darnold. He throws a ton of bad passes and to me looks pretty slow and stiff but just me I guess

Call me crazy but I hate Darnold. He throws a ton of bad passes and to me looks pretty slow and stiff but just me I guess

Darnold is definitely not slow. He's not as athletic as Lamar (obviously) or Josh Allen, but his mobility will be an asset in the NFL. The same cannot be said for Rosen though; that dude moves like he has anvils tied to his ankles.

The only thing the Bills do better is turn over the ball less.

That's it.

upload_2018-1-2_14-38-36.png

Buffalo also has the 3rd worst sack % allowed, Jacksonville 27th. In terms of pressure, Jacksonville is 2nd in sack percentage, Buffalo 31st.

So here's a question for cap - salary - draft guys - do we have any? Let's say a Jackson or Mayfield is available with the Bills 1st pick. For 1st round pick #20 - how big a contract we looking at and for how much guaranteed money ... as compared to getting Cousins at $20-25M per?