Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

The Texans should fire their d- coordinator tomorrow...okay half kidding. But that was the softest prevent zone defense I have ever seen.

Once again JJ Watt exposed as the fraud he is

To: Buffalo Bills

Thanks for taking care of the Broncos

d89866806f90f4a7ebb3bc37019f115d.jpg

Once again JJ Watt exposed as the fraud he is

I agree he was sucking wind the entire last drive. Watch the last play he's worthless, never even made a move on the tackle. So overrated

I'm not really impressed with the Pats either. Was hoping the bills could be a game up after today. Pats aren't great this year by any means

I'm not really impressed with the Pats either. Was hoping the bills could be a game up after today. Pats aren't great this year by any means
They are weak in the front 7.
However they have played the last 2.5 games without their best front 7 player Donta Hightower.

The offense will score a lot and the defense will just need to make timely stops.
Belichick will fix it or make a trade to improve it.

Much needed w today as next week in Atlanta will be a really tough one to win. I actually liked Dennison's play calling today. No rushing attack against a stout Denver d. He played to Tyrod's strengths moving him around the pocket to throw. I know White got beat a couple times in the 1st half but he was flat out dominant in 2nd half. Only going to get better too.

A few more organized thoughts:

1) Thought the defense played great again. The run defense, at times, was a bit thin- but the Broncos have professionals too, you aren't going to bottle up every team. Loved the fact that White responded so well in the second half- looks like we have a keeper. And credit to Gaines as well, he is doing exactly what One Bills Drive hoped he would when they acquired him, at least to the untrained eye.

2) I don't want to take away from a great victory, but there was some ugly, ugly play on offense. As I noted- the play calling is simply beyond conservative and whatever blocking they are running is just not working. Before we all point to the Sammy Watkins absence as the reason- remember that he missed a number of games last year too. Suddenly, the best running team in the league cannot run the ball! I'm not a smart enough X & O guy to identify why- but it feels like a lot of the blocking is horizontal instead of vertical, driving the defenders downfield. Again, just a layman's view...but the results are not there. At 2-1, any prayer this team has of being competitive is based upon an offensive resurrection. While we scored 26 points, we also left some scores on the board.

3) I am a little concerned on some of McDermott's in-game decision making. Punting from 4th & 2 from your opponents 40 with as weak an offense we have is indefensible. You need to give yourself chances to score...and sacrificing a great opportunity will eventually come back to bite them. Especially with how strong our defense is- the short field risk is lessened. I missed the last drive of the first half so I can't comment on the clock management- but I wasn't blown away by that in the Carolina game, so it may be something to monitor.

4) Discussion on the national anthem is best saved for another thread...but I did want to mention that the crowd seemed LOUD on TV. As always, Bills fans show up in droves and provide a great home field advantage.

All in all great to be 2-1...the next few games are going to show whether this team will make noise or fade into the twilight. While Atlanta is uphill sledding, Cincy is no giant- and Tampa Bay is there for the taking. Need to find a way to get to 4-2 after six...then it may be time to believe.

I'm not a fan of our offense at all through 3 games.

The Carolina game was absurd and the Jets/Broncos games were basically turtle up with the lead and let the the defense hold off the other team.

Taylor had his best drive ever throwing the ball around the field and we score a TD to take the lead. Then it's right back to run, run, short safe pocket pass.

No clue what the running game issue is. If it's blocking scheme, Dennison and co. need to fall back and let our o-line do what they do. It also hurts not having Glenn in there. Hopefully he's back for Atlanta.

No Dareus hurts our run stuffing ability. It's an impressive win when you realize we beat Denver without our best lineman on each side of the ball.

I'm not a fan of our offense at all through 3 games.

The Carolina game was absurd and the Jets/Broncos games were basically turtle up with the lead and let the the defense hold off the other team.

Taylor had his best drive ever throwing the ball around the field and we score a TD to take the lead. Then it's right back to run, run, short safe pocket pass.

No clue what the running game issue is. If it's blocking scheme, Dennison and co. need to fall back and let our o-line do what they do. It also hurts not having Glenn in there. Hopefully he's back for Atlanta.

No Dareus hurts our run stuffing ability. It's an impressive win when you realize we beat Denver without our best lineman on each side of the ball.

Yeah see your point on offense but they have played some decent defenses, Miami didn't get much on the Jets either. 2-1 is a great start. McDermott is conservative like 9 out of 10 head coaches in the NFL. It's not going to be pretty on offense but if they can get some production on a weekly basis they should have a chance to win quite a few games. The D will be the anchor and McDermott has definitely made an impact on the franchise. They don't have much at WR, hoping they can get Streater back at some point as well. Don't care how they win at all.

Biggest concern is getting McCoy some room to run

Yeah see your point on offense but they have played some decent defenses, Miami didn't get much on the Jets either. 2-1 is a great start. McDermott is conservative like 9 out of 10 head coaches in the NFL. It's not going to be pretty on offense but if they can get some production on a weekly basis they should have a chance to win quite a few games. The D will be the anchor and McDermott has definitely made an impact on the franchise. They don't have much at WR, hoping they can get Streater back at some point as well. Don't care how they win at all.

Great point. Atlanta will be a good measuring stick based on their elite offense vs our elite defense and also, our offense finally going up against a defense that isn't considered one of the best in the NFL.

Great point. Atlanta will be a good measuring stick based on their elite offense vs our elite defense and also, our offense finally going up against a defense that isn't considered one of the best in the NFL.

Aren't you in ATL? Hope you are going to represent. I now a pretty good size crew that will be attending, bunch of CNY transplants that are insane Bills fans.

I think McDermott has the team ready to compete, hustle and scrap every Sunday which is a great start to building a consistent winner, ton of work to do but solid foundation being built

The offense went backwards I think 3 drives in a row, barely salvaged 3 points out of that 1st int + fake punt sequence. They really need to throw it on 1st down the way teams are playing them. The two TD drives were legit though.

Not ready to say the defense is 2014 good - Car. w/ gimpy Cam had trouble scoring on the Saints. But love the way this revamped secondary competes. Even the backup CB is shedding a block vs a bigger WR on a screen to make a key tackle..

Could write more and sound like Debbie Downer - to be fair I was much more optimistic than most about this game which is why I'm not too excited. It wreaked of Arizona last year. Lol @ all the suckers who bet the road favorite -3. Until this team can throw it when they need to though these are the same old Bills.

I've never noticed Dareus being out in any game he's missed. What a terrible contract.

Aren't you in ATL? Hope you are going to represent. I now a pretty good size crew that will be attending, bunch of CNY transplants that are insane Bills fans.

I think McDermott has the team ready to compete, hustle and scrap every Sunday which is a great start to building a consistent winner, ton of work to do but solid foundation being built
Yea, I have a place in Greenville, SC for work and also Atlanta by my family but my sister in law is due any day now so the chance she of me going are looking bleak right now. There's a lot of transplant Bills fans in this area though so I'd imagine we will be well represented!

Well they do have the most uncoverable WR in the NFL, in Hogan.

Literally, no one covers him. I don’t know why.

I picked him up in a fantasy draft. I figured against a good defense he wouldn't get many targets between Gronkowski, Cooks, and Amendola back. So I didn't start him. Go figger.

A few more organized thoughts:

1) Thought the defense played great again. The run defense, at times, was a bit thin- but the Broncos have professionals too, you aren't going to bottle up every team. Loved the fact that White responded so well in the second half- looks like we have a keeper. And credit to Gaines as well, he is doing exactly what One Bills Drive hoped he would when they acquired him, at least to the untrained eye.

2) I don't want to take away from a great victory, but there was some ugly, ugly play on offense. As I noted- the play calling is simply beyond conservative and whatever blocking they are running is just not working. Before we all point to the Sammy Watkins absence as the reason- remember that he missed a number of games last year too. Suddenly, the best running team in the league cannot run the ball! I'm not a smart enough X & O guy to identify why- but it feels like a lot of the blocking is horizontal instead of vertical, driving the defenders downfield. Again, just a layman's view...but the results are not there. At 2-1, any prayer this team has of being competitive is based upon an offensive resurrection. While we scored 26 points, we also left some scores on the board.

3) I am a little concerned on some of McDermott's in-game decision making. Punting from 4th & 2 from your opponents 40 with as weak an offense we have is indefensible. You need to give yourself chances to score...and sacrificing a great opportunity will eventually come back to bite them. Especially with how strong our defense is- the short field risk is lessened. I missed the last drive of the first half so I can't comment on the clock management- but I wasn't blown away by that in the Carolina game, so it may be something to monitor.

4) Discussion on the national anthem is best saved for another thread...but I did want to mention that the crowd seemed LOUD on TV. As always, Bills fans show up in droves and provide a great home field advantage.

All in all great to be 2-1...the next few games are going to show whether this team will make noise or fade into the twilight. While Atlanta is uphill sledding, Cincy is no giant- and Tampa Bay is there for the taking. Need to find a way to get to 4-2 after six...then it may be time to believe.

The defense again played great, secondary does give up a few big plays a game but man this D really strengthens within the red zone. Thought we could have blitzed a little bit more as Sieman was really struggling when under pressure but all in all an excellent performance.

I think the team is struggling to turn the ball because teams are sticking 9 guys in the box and showing zero respect for our passing game. Last year even when Watkins was out you still had a guy who could stretch the field in Goodwin, right now Buffalo doesn't have deep threat or someone you might want to double a la Watkins. I also think as effective Tolbert can be at times he isn't a #2 rb. There were a few times he had a hole and could have ripped off a big gain but due to his size it was closed by the time he got there. Ditto trying to run him outside on stretch runs, that is never going to work. Still think he can play a very effective role on this team but Banyard or Taiwan Jones should get some looks especially Banyard.

I like the fact that they had the WR they got in a trade from Carolina on the field and actually make a catch. Team needs help at the WR position and we should see if we have anything else internally. Zay Jones continues to be a mess with drops but most rookies have a learning curve just hope he starts to flash soon. Matthews has done a nice job and the TE's have chipped in nicely as well.

McDermott has done a nice job but his clock management has been beyond brutal. Wasted twenty + seconds on that drive before half after a first down catch and throw by not burning a timeout, did the same thing last week against Carolina. Hauschka bailed us out by hitting a bomb before half. Speaking of him, so nice to have an elite kicker again, Guy made every single kick and it wasn't even close and Xps are no longer an adventure.

Still think the OC is being way to conservative in his play calling but the team is one catch away from being 3-0 so its hard go ballistic. Enough with the run every 1st down. Still I hope we can open up the playbook a bit more here. Tyrod and McCoy made some ridiculous individual plays yesterday that sealed the game. That run by Tyrod was ridiculous, ditto McCoy on that swing pass and third down run.

As for the national anthem stuff I will leave that for the OT board, I would prefer they didn't do it but I am not going to go crazy over it either.

The offense went backwards I think 3 drives in a row, barely salvaged 3 points out of that 1st int + fake punt sequence. They really need to throw it on 1st down the way teams are playing them. The two TD drives were legit though.

Not ready to say the defense is 2014 good - Car. w/ gimpy Cam had trouble scoring on the Saints. But love the way this revamped secondary competes. Even the backup CB is shedding a block vs a bigger WR on a screen to make a key tackle..

Could write more and sound like Debbie Downer - to be fair I was much more optimistic than most about this game which is why I'm not too excited. It wreaked of Arizona last year. Lol @ all the suckers who bet the road favorite -3. Until this team can throw it when they need to though these are the same old Bills.

I've never noticed Dareus being out in any game he's missed. What a terrible contract.

The two series where we had the ball inside there 40 and only got 3 yards out of it was brutal. We lost yards on 1st down of both drives, have to open things up a little more with pass even if the WR's aren't there. How about hitting that fb were paying a ton to in the flat. I think the issue is a mix overly conservative play calling and a WR unit that needs a ton of help.

Streater is eligible to sign here after week 6 I believe. I wouldn't mind Reilly being bumped up on the PS either.

I'm not positive, but I think after 3 weeks, Pro Football Focus has Tyrod graded as one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL lol.

ESPN's QBR has him #9 so far.

I still want a QB in the 1st round; assuming Darnold isn't doable, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are my preferred choices right now.

I'm not positive, but I think after 3 weeks, Pro Football Focus has Tyrod graded as one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL lol.

ESPN's QBR has him #9 so far.

I still want a QB in the 1st round; assuming Darnold isn't doable, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are my preferred choices right now.

Not directed at you whatsoever- but I don't know how that's possible. I wonder if the QBR formula overstates turnover avoidance at the QB position?

Regardless I am all in on a QB next year- preferences are Darnold, Rosen or Allen. I don't see Tyrod becoming any more than he is now- great athlete, moves the chains with his legs, but average passer who does not maximize the offense.