Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Not that I like settling for field goals - we were way too conservative in the 4th after the interception for my taste. But I'll be Captain Obvious and say we don't win this game with Dan Carpenter.

Bills in first place?

That's the combat seat, Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Why was their brand new stadium so empty? I thought it was just people walking around but it was sparse for the entire game.

Pats are looking like a shell of themselves defensively. Bills need to pick up a wr amd they could challenge for a playoff spot.

Any idea when they could get Streater back and how easy it could happen once he is healthy?

Bills +3 at Cinci, can't remember a bigger trap game ever
No idea what Cinci really is. 1-3, destroyed Cleveland and almost beat Green Bay.

Love the 3-1 start but we need to figure out how to run the ball again and/or give Tyrod more opportunities to make plays. Hauschka is a beast but I'd rather not depend on multiple 50+ yard field goals per game.

Jordan Matthews out 4-6 weeks.

What do you guys think we should do?

Call up Powell or Reilly? Probably see more 2-TE with Clay and O'Leary? Seems they like Kaelin Clay a bit as I've seen him targeted the past 2 games. Zay Jones moves to our #1...kid is going to have to grow up quick. Andre Holmes has been decent, I guess he gets more targets.

Anyone want to trade a 2nd or 3rd for a proven WR?

Couple thoughts the morning after a huge win:

1) The defense continues to be the story of the season. To hold Atlanta, even without Jones & Sanu for a half, to only 17 points is a great accomplishment. What impresses me most is the tackling in the secondary. With minimal exceptions this season there has been minimal YAC- a hidden statistic that has most definitely improved. The fact that the defense is doing this with a brand new secondary as well as virtually zero contributions from the Dareus (who knows what planet he is on), Washington or Ragland (released) is amazing. What I do know is Buffalo must avoid injuries as the roster depth is just not there yet. But great signs so far.

2) Once my adrenaline (read: beer) wore off- the offense still needs to improve substantially. I thought the play calling was more aggressive and better overall, although some of that is fueled by Atlanta's less than stellar run defense. Note, I also thought we crawled into a shell after the first Hyde interception- Hauschka bailed us out- but generally speaking was pleased to see the Bills throwing more. I've been hyper critical of Dennison, so kudos to him on this one. However- 16 points (with six of those coming off 55+ yard field goals) is not going to get it done if this team has playoff aspirations. Taylor's throw to Clay was a thing of beauty- but he also missed 3-4 throws that he absolutely has to have. The 3rd & goal throw to Matthews, if on target, is a touchdown.

3) How about Hauschka!! Let's just say Danny Carpenter is not missed. Three huge kicks in back to back weeks.

IthacaBarrel mentioned above that Cincy is a trap game- couldn't agree more. This is exactly the type of game that the Bills have lost in past years. A beatable opponent on the road coming off a big win- this is a huge game, especially against an AFC opponent. Need to take this one, head into the bye week on the mend- and suddenly the schedule doesn't look quite so imposing. But can Buffalo handle sudden success? That's the question for this week.

Love the 3-1 start but we need to figure out how to run the ball again and/or give Tyrod more opportunities to make plays. Hauschka is a beast but I'd rather not depend on multiple 50+ yard field goals per game.

Beat me to it...

Any idea when they could get Streater back and how easy it could happen once he is healthy?

Believe he is eligible to re-sign with Buffalo after week six and there was some speculation that would happen. Health wise I am not sure, I would think he would be close to ready as your talking at that point being 8+ weeks post injury to his toe. Clearly Buffalo has the draft capital to make a move but just not sure anyone is really out there that teams might be willing to move. Obviously the Giants aren't trading Beckham (would cost a fortune if they were) nor would that be a good fit but could you engage the Chargers about Keenan Allen?

Any idea on if we'll have Glenn and/or Lawson back for Cinci?

Humber came back during the game but then left after and will miss a few weeks.

Matthews is out 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully EJ Gaines can get back for Sunday.

Any other injuries I'm missing?

Not sure how Dawkins did yesterday but I didn't hear him mentioned much so I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Jordan Matthews out 4-6 weeks.

What do you guys think we should do?

Call up Powell or Reilly? Probably see more 2-TE with Clay and O'Leary? Seems they like Kaelin Clay a bit as I've seen him targeted the past 2 games. Zay Jones moves to our #1...kid is going to have to grow up quick. Andre Holmes has been decent, I guess he gets more targets.

Anyone want to trade a 2nd or 3rd for a proven WR?

Have to make a move for an outside receiver. Even getting Vincent Jackson or Stevie Johnson out of retirement would be a decent move at this point. I like Reilly so I wouldn't mind calling him up but I think the bills really need an outside WR and he's a slot guy. They should be calling a bunch of teams this week and see if there is any interest in moving a halfway decent WR. This is a big blow as the Bills WR core was already bad now its reaching last years 49ers territory.

Believe he is eligible to re-sign with Buffalo after week six and there was some speculation that would happen. Health wise I am not sure, I would think he would be close to ready as your talking at that point being 8+ weeks post injury to his toe. Clearly Buffalo has the draft capital to make a move but just not sure anyone is really out there that teams might be willing to move. Obviously the Giants aren't trading Beckham (would cost a fortune if they were) nor would that be a good fit but could you engage the Chargers about Keenan Allen?

OK, sounds like that will happen eventually but now with Matthews out they may have to do something quicker but sounds like he and Beane will be on the look, nice that they seem to be on the same page. Allen would be a great option and seems to fit the mold of they type of guy McDermott looks for.

Beckham is an unbelievable talent and Giants would never trade but his style doesn't suit what McDermott looks for, IMO. Not that it would ever happen.

Have to make a move for an outside receiver. Even getting Vincent Jackson or Stevie Johnson out of retirement would be a decent move at this point. I like Reilly so I wouldn't mind calling him up but I think the bills really need an outside WR and he's a slot guy. They should be calling a bunch of teams this week and see if there is any interest in moving a halfway decent WR. This is a big blow as the Bills WR core was already bad now its reaching last years 49ers territory.
Yea, Zay Jones - Andre Holmes - Kaelin Clay isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Zay seems to get open but has to get over his yips before we can count on him for anything.

I'm sure we'll see McCoy and Clay getting all the targets they can ask for on Sunday.

OK, sounds like that will happen eventually but now with Matthews out they may have to do something quicker but sounds like he and Beane will be on the look, nice that they seem to be on the same page. Allen would be a great option and seems to fit the mold of they type of guy McDermott looks for.

Beckham is an unbelievable talent and Giants would never trade but his style doesn't suit what McDermott looks for, IMO. Not that it would ever happen.
Would love Keenan Allen or TY Hilton. I'd trade a 3rd for either. We probably Draft a WR anyway and I'd rather develop Zay and pair Matthews up with another proven WR over drafting another one to develop as well.

OBJ is filthy but the Giants aren't trading him and we aren't paying a WR primadonna when we already have one at DT.

I think I

I think VJax is done honestly. Sticking with what you have, especially considering the playbook knowledge, would probably be better than him.

I'm guessing Buffalo will just stay the course with what they have, but we'll see. Of the teams that are already out of the playoff picture, you have the following WRs (for the sake of simplicity, I'm ignoring whether or not their teams would ever consider trading them):

Jarvis Landry
Devante Parker
Keenan Allen
Tyrell Williams
Travis Benjamin
AJ Green
Brandon LaFell
Kenny Britt
Odell Beckham
Brandon Marshall
Sterling Shepard
Pierre Garcon
Marquise Goodwin :D

Not out of the playoff picture, but Arizona has a bunch of WRs so it's not inconceivable that they'd move one:
Fitzgerald (yeah, right)
John Brown
JJ Nelson
Jaron Brown
Chad Williams

Right, like I noted they aren't trading him and we aren't giving up the ransom for what it would take to get him even if they decided to move on from him and his antics. I doubt the Charges would trade Allen either but its at least worth a call to see if they might part with him or Tyrell Williams for the right price. Allen is very injury prone but were reaching desperation levels at this point. Its a conference partner but Miami has a surplus of WR's and a season headed nowhere, might as well call them to.

Right, like I noted they aren't trading him and we aren't giving up the ransom for what it would take to get him even if they decided to move on from him and his antics. I doubt the Charges would trade Allen either but its at least worth a call to see if they might part with him or Tyrell Williams for the right price. Allen is very injury prone but were reaching desperation levels at this point. Its a conference partner but Miami has a surplus of WR's and a season headed nowhere, might as well call them to.

Dolphins are doomed with Cutler and that is pretty obvious, really think their back up is better option