Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

It is very rare and special to see a coach torch his credibility this quickly.
I feel for Bills fans.
I have been trying to think of a former NFL head coach who has committed career suicide in only his first year and its been tough (not that McDermott has but he is on that path with more moves like this QB move.) Let alone a coach who was currently holding a playoff spot in late November who gave up on his own season. The only coach who came to mind was Cam Cameron the year he was the HC in Miami and uttered the phrase "Fail Forward Fast" stating he was happy with his teams failures cause that means they found the mistakes and could fix them and move on and improve from them immediately. I mean its an idiotic statement on every level and no wonder Miami went 1-15 that year. But the fact McDermott benched a guy who had 3 INT's all year and replaced him with a 5th round pick who has been in the league for a cup of coffee and he threw 5 INT's in the first half alone is amazing and then after the game is saying he may go back to said rookie next week to start on the road vs a KC Chiefs team who has a better defense than you faced today.

I mean if McDermott can't swallow his pride and just say I made a mistake and Tyrod is my QB for the rest of the year that is some ego he has on himself.

We would've lost this game 34-17 if Tyrod started but this is definitely worse.

Bottom Line, none of this matters as long as we have garbage cans parading as o-lineman, led by the playcalling of a 5 year old and a defense that literally can't even force a punt.

Bottom Line, none of this matters as long as we have garbage cans parading as o-lineman, led by the playcalling of a 5 year old and a defense that literally can't even force a punt.

This X a 1000, arguing about the QB is whistling past the graveyard on how bad most of the remaining team is. Mills and Ducasse are probably the worst right side of a line in the league, with Matthews and Benjamin hurt we a have a wr core most cfl teams would pass on and our DL has completely fallen apart. I haven't heard Shaq or Kyle Williams name in a month.

Last edited:

This X a 1000, arguing about the QB is whistling past the graveyard on how bad most of the remaining team is. Mills and Ducasse are probably the worst right side of a line in the league, with Matthews and Benjamin hurt we a have a wr core most cfl teams would pass on and our DL has completely fallen apart. I haven't heard Shaq or Kyle Williams name in a month.
You guys think McDermitt loses his job after the year?

Short of "losing out," and with Miami twice on their schedule still that may be impossible, he won't be fired. McDermott's problem is he had the last GM fired, he hand picked this new GM, and now he totally screwed up the QB position and he may have lost the locker-room for the way he treated Tyrod. McDermott has nobody else to blame. He will probably get a 2nd year but if he doesn't win next year he's gone. You can't come in, clean house, and not have results. And in the process upset your locker-room because of the way you treated the starting QB. If you are gonna pull the power play to get your way on all matters and have all the power you must fall on the sword when it doesn't work.

I have been trying to think of a former NFL head coach who has committed career suicide in only his first year and its been tough (not that McDermott has but he is on that path with more moves like this QB move.) Let alone a coach who was currently holding a playoff spot in late November who gave up on his own season. The only coach who came to mind was Cam Cameron the year he was the HC in Miami and uttered the phrase "Fail Forward Fast" stating he was happy with his teams failures cause that means they found the mistakes and could fix them and move on and improve from them immediately. I mean its an idiotic statement on every level and no wonder Miami went 1-15 that year. But the fact McDermott benched a guy who had 3 INT's all year and replaced him with a 5th round pick who has been in the league for a cup of coffee and he threw 5 INT's in the first half alone is amazing and then after the game is saying he may go back to said rookie next week to start on the road vs a KC Chiefs team who has a better defense than you faced today.

I mean if McDermott can't swallow his pride and just say I made a mistake and Tyrod is my QB for the rest of the year that is some ego he has on himself.
Are you kidding? Bills fans need to look only to their last head coach to find one who torched his credibility in year one. It was very clear that Rex wasn’t going to be Coach well before the end of his first year. Most Bills fans didn’t want him back after year one... I’m not there with McD yet but another week like this the last two and I’ll prpbably get there. When I look at McD I see the ghost of Dick Jauron... another bland coach who preached character and good guys and losing seasons. McD’s offense is very Bill Walsh’s wco boring and his D seems a throw back to the bend bend and to no ones surprise, break, style of D Jauron loved to play.

Like others have said, he came in and cleaned house. We have a ton of cap space and draft picks this coming year but are also a borderline expansion team given the gutting that took place.

Maybe that was necessary but you also have to remain competitive, as was the mantra of McBeane. You CANNOT have 3 consecutive weeks of football where you get your doors blown off. That just doesn't happen in this league.. I've never seen anything like it. Even the Colts, 49ers and Browns manage to be competitive in losing.

I'll reiterate, I've never seen 3 consecutive weeks of football, as bad as the last 3, ever...in the history of my time watching football.

My favorite, on one of the interceptions, was the RT “passing off” Bosa to...no one

Actually I think a RB was there to chip, but that’s the blocking scheme on a passing down?! Have your RT pass off the best Young pass rusher in the league?!

Shameful

It's so sad that this is actually accurate.

A few weeks ago I would have thought you were crazy but this team especially defensively have cratered to such low depths that I don't think its impossible. Now do I think its likely, probably not. Beane will want to at least give him year 2 and with the Rex Ryan money coming off the books after next year more money would be available. That being said, if the absolute disaster that this defense has been the last three weeks continues (I shudder to think what NE is going to do) throughout the rest of the season I don't know if he can survive it. I mean they traded Dareus but what the hell happened to the rest of the D-line, Dareus was barely playing before the trade. It makes absolutely zero sense, zero. This team is going to need at least 2 DL in the draft or FA this year, not to mention a WR, probably 2 CB, and at least 2 OL. The only positive was that Tolberts injury forced the Bills to actually sign a backup RB, cadet was a breath of fresh air.

Broncos fired McCoy. My buddy said he was McDermott's first choice for OC? Maybe a good reason for McDermott to be able to can Dennison?

Broncos fired McCoy. My buddy said he was McDermott's first choice for OC? Maybe a good reason for McDermott to be able to can Dennison?

I believe that is true.

Would love to see it happen, but for the "grass isn't always greener" crowd, Denver's offense literally hasn't hit 20+ points a single time since their 2-0 start.

Granted Peterman would be legitimately competing for the starting job there, but still lol.

I believe that is true.

Would love to see it happen, but for the "grass isn't always greener" crowd, Denver's offense literally hasn't hit 20+ points a single time since their 2-0 start.

Granted Peterman would be legitimately competing for the starting job there, but still lol.

Yeah their offense is pretty pathetic too. Depends on how much you blame their front office and how much you blame the coaching. I suppose you can say the same for Buffalo.

Yeah their offense is pretty pathetic too. Depends on how much you blame their front office and how much you blame the coaching. I suppose you can say the same for Buffalo.

Denver has no QB, Tryod Taylor is Jim Kelly compared to what they have over there. When you have to "turn" to Brock Osweiler, things are bad, real bad.

I have nothing to add. It's true that we do actually need help at every single position. It'd be cool to get a "cheat code" stud QB and be the opposite of the Marrone teams that were just a QB short of good. That's almost more realistic than building a good roster before 2020 at this point.

A few weeks ago I would have thought you were crazy but this team especially defensively have cratered to such low depths that I don't think its impossible. Now do I think its likely, probably not. Beane will want to at least give him year 2 and with the Rex Ryan money coming off the books after next year more money would be available. That being said, if the absolute disaster that this defense has been the last three weeks continues (I shudder to think what NE is going to do) throughout the rest of the season I don't know if he can survive it. I mean they traded Dareus but what the hell happened to the rest of the D-line, Dareus was barely playing before the trade. It makes absolutely zero sense, zero. This team is going to need at least 2 DL in the draft or FA this year, not to mention a WR, probably 2 CB, and at least 2 OL. The only positive was that Tolberts injury forced the Bills to actually sign a backup RB, cadet was a breath of fresh air.
McDermitt is getting buried nationally.
I can’t see him being the HC after next year unless you make the playoffs next year.

Honestly the decision to bench Taylor was stupid.
It just made no sense with 2 tough road games and Patriots the next 3 games.

He buried Taylor as the reason when it was clearly the D more bad than Taylor and as I said last week while Taylor isn’t great he didn’t turn the football over.

It really depends how patient the Pegulas are willing to be. If the team wins like 6 games next season but you can see the pieces starting to come together, it would be foolish to fire McDermott. The defensive scheme is already proven to work if you get the right personnel; Buffalo doesn't have it right now.

I'll keep saying it until I will it into existence though...I want Dennison out of here.

McDermitt is getting buried nationally.
I can’t see him being the HC after next year unless you make the playoffs next year.

Honestly the decision to bench Taylor was stupid.
It just made no sense with 2 tough road games and Patriots the next 3 games.

He buried Taylor as the reason when it was clearly the D more bad than Taylor and as I said last week while Taylor isn’t great he didn’t turn the football over.

He not only buried Taylor he lost the trust of the locker-room if you believe what players outside of Buffalo (who have friends on the team) are saying. And on top of that everyone thought he was a bright coach as he had the Bills on the brink of the playoffs and maybe finally ending that drought and he gave up on the season by putting in Peterman. Even if you hold the opinion "we would have lost any way with Tyrod" ...well at least go down swinging with your best player. Not some kid who clearly isn't an NFL QB.

As much as I hate that old Herm Edwards quote that is always taken out of context..."you play to win the game"...in this instance the quote actually fits and is true! When you are in late November and have a chance to make the playoffs and you are sitting in the 6th seed, you play to win the game. Not see what you have on your roster for next year. That's what training camp is for!! McDermott unnecessarily painted himself as clueless with that one move.

If we have KB, JM, ZJ and Clay for LAC and he can't do anything in the passing game, I'm ready for Peterman, and I mean during the game. This is a must win if we want playoffs without having to hope 10 teams lose at the end of the season.

Peterman literally can't do worse than Tyrod did against New Orleans.

Peterman!

Great decision. Tyrod isn't the future. He isn't helping us win. Let's see what we've got at QB heading into the offseason, with the added bonus of replacing the low bar set by Taylor.

Tyrod is undoubtedly the Bills biggest problem. He threw for 56 yards and had a QB rating of 29.7 last week. He is awful. 56 yards!!!

He does not know how to diagnose what he sees and throw the football. He does not know how to throw guys open. He cannot convert 3rd and longs. He is not the guy.

Peterman may not be better but he can't be worse.

Peterman is a good ball player and this moment is not to big for him. He will play well and surprise ppl Sunday.
:rolling:

McDermott is undecided on who will start this week lol.

For God sake man, admit you were wrong and move on. How in god's name does this guy have the nerve to bench Tyrod but he continues to trot out Jordan Mills and Vlad Ducasse as starting offensive linemen in the NFL, continues having Tolbert run pass routes in favor of Cadet until Tolbert gets hurt, continues to start Humber/Alexander over Milano, etc.?

I'm legitimately confused by what is going through McDermott's head right now.

If the NFL were an accountable organization there would have been a penalty on this play...I guess cracking the QB in the face is OK (2nd interception)

upload_2017-11-20_16-14-58.png

If the NFL were an accountable organization there would have been a penalty on this play...I guess cracking the QB in the face is OK (2nd interception)

View attachment 115469

Yeah, I can't believe they missed that.

If Peterman were smart, he would have simply stepped up in the pocket and avoided being hit altogether, but that was clearly a penalty.