Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

I think Baker Mayfield could be good on the Bills. They need a guy with confidence.

Not sold on Lamar Jackson.
I think he can pass better than most thought before the year.
However he hasn’t read defenses. He goes for his first read and if it’s not there he uses this athleticism and just outruns college LBs.
He can’t do that in the NFL.
He needs to show he look safeties off and get the ball into tighter windows throw to his second or third read.
I also think Darnold has been to causal with the ball. If he thinks that he can do that in pro football he will be an INT machine.

If Mayfield grows up I like him the best. He takes care of the ball and reads the D well.
I also like Rosen. He can win games he isn’t the best though.
No clue on Allen.

I think he definitely can outrun NFL LB's. Tyrod has proven he can do that. Problem is, that isn't going to win you many football games in the NFL, especially if, as you say, he isn't good at progressing through reads, just like Tyrod. I like Lamar, but it seems to me like he would be Tyrod 2.0 with a little better arm.

What don't you like about Rudolph? I haven't seen him much but a few mocks have the Bills taking him.

It's not that I don't like him; I just don't like him in the first round. If the Bills, against my wishes, decided to address other positions and take another QB in the mid-rounds, I'd be fine with Rudolph in like the 4th round or something. He's a good college QB but the physical tools aren't really there with him IMO. His arm strength and accuracy are both just okay at best at the NFL level IMO and he's not really great at anticipating throwing windows/isn't really athletic to overcome the average physical tools IMO. When I was looking at QBs for last year's draft, I basically had him and Peterman tied together as guys that could be decent options on Day 3 of the draft.

Nice. One question about Lamar (it's an actual question as IDK) is whether he is able to avoid hits / strong hits, when he takes off. Some guys seem to have the ability to avoid the dangerous hit.

That's definitely a major question regarding him. At the college level, he's got adequate size, but he'll need to put on more muscle (he already added a considerable amount this past offseason) to continue playing the way he does in college. I think taking hits will always be a part of his game; the question is whether he can get strong enough to take them. I think people tend to freak out about the health of running QBs more than they really need to. I'll always be more scared of a QB getting blindsided in the pocket/getting hit low in the pocket than I am of them squaring up on a defender in the open field and being tackled.

Not sold on Lamar Jackson.
I think he can pass better than most thought before the year.
However he hasn’t read defenses. He goes for his first read and if it’s not there he uses this athleticism and just outruns college LBs.
He can’t do that in the NFL.
He needs to show he look safeties off and get the ball into tighter windows throw to his second or third read.
I also think Darnold has been to causal with the ball. If he thinks that he can do that in pro football he will be an INT machine.

If Mayfield grows up I like him the best. He takes care of the ball and reads the D well.
I also like Rosen. He can win games he isn’t the best though.
No clue on Allen.

Going through reads is an issue for pretty much every QB in college, including guys like Darnold, Rosen, Allen, etc. Lamar has come a long way this season. I've seen lots of examples of him looking off safeties, moving past his first read, keeping his eyes up while evading pressure, etc.

Even then, relatively simple reads aren't exclusive to college either. Many teams, like the Bucs, basically rely entirely on half-field reads (which is what basically all the college prospects outside of Josh Allen and Rosen operate in). Teams like the Panthers, Seahawks, and Bills run countless plays where the QB just takes off if the initial read isn't there. Lamar certainly has room to improve in that regard, but that can be said for everyone else in this draft class as well, and the improvements he's made over the past 12 months are pretty enormous. He appears to be capable of learning and improving.

Re: Lamar/in general, Inside the Pylon is a great YouTuber at breaking down the QB's reads. In the video below, he goes through each of Lamar's interceptions and breaks down what Lamar is seeing/mistakes he makes/reads he makes that are sometimes the correct read, etc.

I believe he's put out similar videos for Mayfield and Darnold as well.

Just a few examples of him doing some good stuff as a passer
4:18 - Reading the middle of the field, you'll see he watches to see which routes the LB and safeties try to take away and then he slips the pass in to the receiver crossing behind the LB for the TD.
5:44 - The play everyone remembers from this game; keeps his eyes up while evading pressure and then throws a dime down the field for the TD.
6:15 - Sees the ends coming around wide, climbs the pocket, sees the coverage taking away the deep post route and takes the underneath pass for a first down.
10:17 - Looks left the entire time, sees the safety turn his hips and then comes back to the middle and throws it against the safety's momentum on the deep crossing route.
14:16 - Basically attacking the seams the whole time; he's looking to the left seam, sees the safety plant his feet to take that part away and then hits them over the top.

I think he makes as many of the types of reads required in the NFL as Darnold has done at USC, and Lamar has simply executed it better.

Buffalo has a slim shot at #1 in the AFC east.. but really Pitt beating NE is not a reach. They play NE next week so that was always a long shot that needed to happen but if Buffalo found a way to win the next 2 and then lost week 17 it would be like SU and not getting to a bowl game. DO the hard stuff and find a way to fail. the D has to find a way to slow Miami down since who thinks the Buffalo offense can score more than 17-20?

jacksons issue is not what he can do.. but looking at this film ignores that he in college they scheme to stop his running and then hope he cant pass. Guys are running free all over.. he is wildly inaccurate so much of the time. If the pros want to run him a ton then take a shot with him.. But I think teams worry because when he misses those passes in the pro's, they become picks since pro safeties will not be thinking run first.

Where is everyone? Am I the only one watching the Bills finally come up clutch in an important game? (at least so far, knock on wood)

Brutal missed facmask penalty there. Like that McDermott wants to be aggressive but I would have let Hauschka rip one there.

Brutal missed facmask penalty there. Like that McDermott wants to be aggressive but I would have let Hauschka rip one there.

Yeah that's how I feel. We've wanted McDermott to be more aggressive all year but not sure that was the right situation for it.

Id give my left and right leg for Tannehill back.

Before anyone says he’s not much better. You’re wrong. He’s much much better.

I understand running the clock out but this second half has been brutal. Miami is sending a pseudo-goal line defense at us and we keep slamming McCoy into it.

That sack is ballgame.
Bills D was good today.
Dolphins blew their wad on Monday.
Their DL wasn’t the same against Buffalo today.