Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

Allen is going to start next week and we’ll never look back.

Book it.

Agreed, seems he’s getting support from teammates as well, just get him the 1st team reps and get on with it. Going to have a bunch of growing pains buts he’s clearly talented and the future as well as the best on the bills right now

Holy smokes did McCarron struggle. Difference in arm strength between him and Allen is jarring. Only hesitation I have with starting Allen out of the gate is the opening schedule, first four-six games are brutal. I would rather throw Peterman to the wolves, especially if our o-line is porous, and save Allen for weeks 7+. No need to get him killed ala David Carr.

I try REALLY hard not to overreact to the preseason but wow is Allen dripping with potential...lots to learn but the raw materials are there. Liked his pocket presence and he makes throws the other guys just can't. BB may have made the right trade after all.

The most notable positive to me as far as Josh Allen was his awareness and movement in the pocket. Some QBs are better at that than others but early results on this look good for the #7 pick.

The most notable positive to me as far as Josh Allen was his awareness and movement in the pocket. Some QBs are better at that than others but early results on this look good for the #7 pick.

Yep. His pocket presence has been on display in multiple forms - subtle movements to avoid rushers and standing in a collapsing pocket to deliver a ball downfield knowing he is going to take a big hit.

His footwork is far better than what I expected based on draft guru type’s assertions. The only footwork breakdown I can think of is the one play that went viral from the Carolina game.

Other things of note. When he’s out there he looks juiced. It looks like he wants to run through walls to help the team win.

Communication and commraderie on full display. He and Benjamin missed on his first throw last night - you could see him communicating with his eyes to Benjamin as he came back to the huddle from his route and then they had a few quick words to talk things out - both guys nodding heads after. Patting teammates helmets after plays. Putting his arm around his QB coach after they had to call time out because a play (seemingly) didn’t get in on time.

Changing plays at the line of scrimmage.

Cannon. Rocket. 12 Gauge Shotgun. Whatever you wanna call it - the kid can sling it. The ball gets where it’s going fast which is a huge advantage. He can stick it in tight spaces. (That’s what she said.) Also bubble screens will be all that more effective because the playmakers will have the ball in their hands quickly.

Needless to say - I’m excited.

Landry better start playing with his head on a swivel.

Yeah hard to explain how the defense can get penalized for breathing too hard on someone and he can get away with that.

Yeah hard to explain how the defense can get penalized for breathing too hard on someone and he can get away with that.

Exactly, block on defenseless dudes like that should be 15 minimum with possible ejection, he can block the guy there without taking his head off very easily

I’d echo everything said about Allen after his 2 preseason game. The guy looks like the real deal.

I’m hoping he gets the start but Peterman has looked good. If McDermott never started him against San Diego last year, would we feel different about him?... because he’s looked really good in the preseason also. My only concern is that his arm strength isn’t in line with his ability to read defenses/diagnose. That leads him to making throws that are there, but he may or may not be able to make. I think he can move the chains through the air, and put points on the board, but I’d be shocked if he didn’t throw a pick per game.

I’d echo everything said about Allen after his 2 preseason game. The guy looks like the real deal.

I’m hoping he gets the start but Peterman has looked good. If McDermott never started him against San Diego last year, would we feel different about him?... because he’s looked really good in the preseason also. My only concern is that his arm strength isn’t in line with his ability to read defenses/diagnose. That leads him to making throws that are there, but he may or may not be able to make. I think he can move the chains through the air, and put points on the board, but I’d be shocked if he didn’t throw a pick per game.

I think Peterman will start game 1, I just do as I think McDermott would rather go that route. No secret that Allen will be starting at some point this year. McDermott seems to love Peterman and as you have said he has done well this preseason but he did last year as well. Right now he has to answer the question as to whether he is viable option for a long term back up.

I will need Peterman to have a few adequate games in the regular season before I have any faith in his ability to play QB in the NFL. That Chargers game ruined me

Chad Pennington

I think Peterman will start game 1, I just do as I think McDermott would rather go that route. No secret that Allen will be starting at some point this year. McDermott seems to love Peterman and as you have said he has done well this preseason but he did last year as well. Right now he has to answer the question as to whether he is viable option for a long term back up.

I will need Peterman to have a few adequate games in the regular season before I have any faith in his ability to play QB in the NFL. That Chargers game ruined me
Same exact feelings as you have. I think Peterman’s ceiling is high level backup QB. I think SD was a tornado of bad events so he deserves to redeem himself, but I’d rather have that happen as the backup.

Allen is the guy. Everything looks different with him in the game. We can’t not start him because the offensive line isn’t Dallas-like.

Daboll used motion, kept TE’s to block etc. in Game 1. No idea why we went super vanilla in blocking game 2 (perhaps to evaluate) but it led to an injured QB.

Allen also looks like the best guy to handle defensive pressure. He’s massive - can see over everything, his release and velocity are on another planet and he’s incredibly strong and mobile.

Peterman is pretty tall as well and has a quick release/gets the ball out quick, but his lack of arm strength on predetermined reads is scary.

Same exact feelings as you have. I think Peterman’s ceiling is high level backup QB. I think SD was a tornado of bad events so he deserves to redeem himself, but I’d rather have that happen as the backup.

Allen is the guy. Everything looks different with him in the game. We can’t not start him because the offensive line isn’t Dallas-like.

Daboll used motion, kept TE’s to block etc. in Game 1. No idea why we went super vanilla in blocking game 2 (perhaps to evaluate) but it led to an injured QB.

Allen also looks like the best guy to handle defensive pressure. He’s massive - can see over everything, his release and velocity are on another planet and he’s incredibly strong and mobile.

Peterman is pretty tall as well and has a quick release/gets the ball out quick, but his lack of arm strength on predetermined reads is scary.

Should be interesting the next couple weeks, I would expect another QB to be signed for the remainder of the preseason as well. At the end of the day, just happy to see Allen showing progress and I am still fine with them bringing him along slowly but really just a question of when he becomes the starter. Really like that the team is starting to rally behind him as well.

McDermott takes coach speak to a whole new level, he's a real beauty. I keep waiting for him to one day start laughing at some of his own responses.

The TE spot is interesting as well, seems that O'Leary was 4th on the depth chart but had a solid game versus the Browns.

One positive of AJ guaranteed not being the starter is we should have Groy at C, who is actually a good player, unlike Bodine.

Miller and Dawkins have some talent. Now we just need to figure out how to prevent Vlad and Mills from being turnstyles.

One positive of AJ guaranteed not being the starter is we should have Groy at C, who is actually a good player, unlike Bodine.

Miller and Dawkins have some talent. Now we just need to figure out how to prevent Vlad and Mills from being turnstyles.

I think Beane knows we need O-line Help, I like Teller a lot but its hard to ask a six or 5th whatever round pick he was to come in a grab a starting job on an NFL offensive line. Its to bad that Incognito's demons are back because having him would be a nice one year band-aid until we get to the draft/fa. Gotta hope a guy they like gets cut or we can swing a trade at some point.

I think Beane knows we need O-line Help, I like Teller a lot but its hard to ask a six or 5th whatever round pick he was to come in a grab a starting job on an NFL offensive line. Its to bad that Incognito's demons are back because having him would be a nice one year band-aid until we get to the draft/fa. Gotta hope a guy they like gets cut or we can swing a trade at some point.

For sure. Dawkins was abused by Garrett on Friday FWIW. Garrett could be just that good but there are plenty like him in the NFL.. Chargers game week 2 could be scary with their pass rush

Your description of Peterman sounds like Ryan Fitzpatrick to me. Which I suppose is fine while you groom Allen instead of throwing him out to the wolves.

For sure. Dawkins was abused by Garrett on Friday FWIW. Garrett could be just that good but there are plenty like him in the NFL.. Chargers game week 2 could be scary with their pass rush

Garrett is good no doubt but as you noted that was a bad showing, the entire starting O-line was pretty bad. Dawkins is going to be a heck of a tackle and if it wasn't for him and the Bills faith he could play LT we probably wouldn't have Allen right or would have had to give up a 1 for next year without the trade to the Bengals. As for this year we might have to go with more help by keeping in a TE or maybe have Ivory chip or just help double. Groy's ability to play Guard could help a lot if th staff feels Bodine isn't a mess out there. You wonder if Teller could progress enough to get to a point where he could push for starters minutes perhaps halfway through the year or something like that. As noted a waiver wire pickup seems inevitable or maybe a small trade as the bills have cap space. The Incognito train seems long gone at this point but if the line is a disaster the first few games we may get desperate.

Garrett is good no doubt but as you noted that was a bad showing, the entire starting O-line was pretty bad. Dawkins is going to be a heck of a tackle and if it wasn't for him and the Bills faith he could play LT we probably wouldn't have Allen right or would have had to give up a 1 for next year without the trade to the Bengals. As for this year we might have to go with more help by keeping in a TE or maybe have Ivory chip or just help double. Groy's ability to play Guard could help a lot if th staff feels Bodine isn't a mess out there. You wonder if Teller could progress enough to get to a point where he could push for starters minutes perhaps halfway through the year or something like that. As noted a waiver wire pickup seems inevitable or maybe a small trade as the bills have cap space. The Incognito train seems long gone at this point but if the line is a disaster the first few games we may get desperate.

Agreed, I think they will do something here for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom