Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

He moves around great. He’s a serious athlete. Just had a 40 yd TD run in the Red v Blue scrimmage.
Yea, Josh Allen is compared to, ironically for Kelvin Benjamin, Cam Newton. Size, mobility, arm and...accuracy.

Question Mark - Yes, but compared to last year, somehow, the WR Unit is much better.

KB, contract year, healthy, here for the full year, with an offseason.

Kerley is better than anything we had at slot last year and is still a solid WR for any NFL team.

Corey Coleman is a more explosive deep threat than anyone last year by a wide margin.

Zay Jones enters his second year, knowing he needs to prove himself.

There's potential there. I'm not doom and gloom at WR.

I'm not sure there is a worse grouping in the league. They were certainly the worst last year and I don't know that they moved up at all. Cowboys are the only ones that I can say are definitely worse with the Jets and Jags both close but I would certainly swap units with either.

I'm not sure there is a worse grouping in the league. They were certainly the worst last year and I don't know that they moved up at all. Cowboys are the only ones that I can say are definitely worse with the Jets and Jags both close but I would certainly swap units with either.
I don't know how we can judge.. If you gave Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, Brees etc., even a Jameis or Mariota a WR Unit of Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Zay Jones and Jeremy Kerley, would you still think they're so bad? I'd rather have our WR's than the Patriots. I think Kelvin Benjamin is arguably the best WR in the AFCE.

Also, keep in mind, whatever you may think of KB and Zay, they both played last year pretty banged up.

Last edited:
I don't know how we can judge.. If you gave Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, Brees etc., even a Jameis or Mariota a WR Unit of Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Zay Jones and Jeremy Kerley, would you still think they're so bad? I'd rather have our WR's than the Patriots. I think Kelvin Benjamin is arguably the best WR in the AFCE.

Also, keep in mind, whatever you may think of KB and Zay, they both played last year pretty banged up.

Need to take off the blinders. Kerley is a vagabond, Zay Jones was by most accounts the worst starting WR in the entire NFL last year. Coleman was just dealt for a 2020 7th which is as close to nothing as possible. Benjamin should be good but doesn't get separation and is an ideal #2.

Need to take off the blinders. Kerley is a vagabond, Zay Jones was by most accounts the worst starting WR in the entire NFL last year. Coleman was just dealt for a 2020 7th which is as close to nothing as possible. Benjamin should be good but doesn't get separation and is an ideal #2.
Let's hope there's at least a middle area they can reach this year between my homerism and your worst case scenario view of our WR unit.

What are the expectations for the Bills this year?
Just develop Allen and start him the whole year?
Let Allen learn and then put him in during the season?

I know you guys got cap space to use this offseason when it should finally be the beginning of the end of the Pats current dynasty.

My expectations are to have a similar year to last year. Have the defense keep us in games and hope the O can make enough plays to score more points.

The D was weak up the middle last season. We added Star Lotoulelei and our 3rd round rookie Harrison Philips to bolster the middle of the defensive line. In comparison to what we were throwing out there (based on pure talent alone) we are in much better shape to stop the run. We also added rookie MLB Tremaine Edmunds who is a physical freak 6’5 250 runs a 4.5. He will help us make elite plays rather than the standard play from the MLB spot. Also added Trent Murphy at LE. With the additional talent up front I’m anticipating Jerry Hughes will be freed up to get after the QB more. In the secondary White, Hyde, and Poyer are all elite players and there is quality deep into the depth chart in all secondary positions. Only true worry on the D is LB depth.

We ditched the offenses two biggest anchors weighing it down last year: Tyrod & OC Dennison. I’m of the opinion that Allen will start right away unless preseason games go dramatically wrong. He can make all the throws that our other weak armed qb’s just can’t make. His footwork has made dramatic improvement from his college days and although he had the Chuck Knoblauch yips on short throws earlier in camp I haven’t read about him having significant issues with that in days. It sounds like accuracy is not even an issue on the other throws.

We still have Shady who is still one of the best in the business imo. And Ivory as our back up is a significant upgrade over last year.

O line and WR are undoubtedly significant question marks heading into the year. Love our second year LT Dawkins - I think at C Groy will do just fine and that Wood won’t be missed aside from his leadership. RT Mills kinda is what he is. I think he’s better than his detractors think. Solid but that is his ceiling. Guard is where the problems are after Incognito’s departure. Ducasse sucks and Miller took more than a step backwards last year. I think getting away from solely a zone blocking scheme and back into some power sets will help Miller. Maybe we can add some talent on final cuts or our 5th round pick from VT Wyatt Teller will develop quickly and can overtake Ducasse at LG. Depth will be an issue if we have multiple injuries.

I’m optimistic about the receivers. Benjamin is healthy and by all accounts looks great at camp. I’ve oddly always liked Jeremy Kerley game. I think he’s underrated. Zay and Coleman have elite talent - let’s see if McCoach can extract the best out of them this year.

Last edited:
My expectations are to have a similar year to last year. Have the defense keep us in games and hope the O can make enough plays to score more points.

The D was weak up the middle last season. We added Star Lotoulelei and our 3rd round rookie Harrison Philips to bolster the middle of the defensive line. In comparison to what we were throwing out there (based on pure talent alone) we are in much better shape to stop the run. We also added rookie MLB Tremaine Edmunds who is a physical freak 6’5 250 runs a 4.5. He will help us make elite plays rather than the standard play from the MLB spot. Also added Trent Murphy at LE. With the additional talent up front I’m anticipating Jerry Hughes will be freed up to get after the QB more. In the secondary White, Hyde, and Poyer are all elite players and there is quality deep into the depth chart in all secondary positions. Only true worry on the D is LB depth.

We ditched the offenses two biggest anchors weighing it down last year: Tyrod & OC Dennison. I’m of the opinion that Allen will start right away unless preseason games go dramatically wrong. He can make all the throws that our other weak armed qb’s just can’t make. His footwork has made dramatic improvement from his college days and although he had the Chuck Knoblauch yips on short throws earlier in camp I haven’t read about him having significant issues with that in days. It sounds like accuracy is not even an issue on the other throws.

We still have Shady who is still one of the best in the business imo. And Ivory as our back up is a significant upgrade over last year.

O line and WR are undoubtedly significant question marks heading into the year. Love our second year LT Dawkins - I think at C Groy will do just fine and that Wood won’t be missed aside from his leadership. RT Mills kinda is what he is. I think he’s better than his detractors think. Solid but that is his ceiling. Guard is where the problems are after Incognito’s departure. Ducasse sucks and Miller took more than a step backwards last year. I think getting away from solely a zone blocking scheme and back into some power sets will help Miller. Maybe we can add some talent on final cuts or our 5th round pick from VT Wyatt Teller will develop quickly and can overtake Ducasse at LG. Depth will be an issue if we have multiple injuries.

I’m optimistic about the receivers. Benjamin is healthy and by all accounts looks great at camp. I’ve oddly always liked Jeremy Kerleyz game. I think he’s underrated. Zay and Coleman have elite talent - let’s see if McCoach can extract the best out of them this year.
100% in agreement with everything you wrote.

I really don’t understand those who act like we have some rebuilding/talentless team. Did we get lucky to make the playoffs last year, probably... but that’s how it goes for most teams not named the Patriots.

Our defense, on paper, is Top 10 caliber, perhaps Top 5 if guys like Murphy, Washington and Shaq step up.

On offense, we were one of the worst in the league last year led by Tyrod Taylor and Rick Dennison.

We will have a new QB, a new OC, an upgraded RB2, healthy WR1, new slot WR, new outside speed WR, healthy WR4. Three of those guys are recent Top 40 picks. Clay/O’Leary are solid tight ends.

I’ll agree with worry over the OL and the seemingly tough schedule, but the actual team has a lot of talent and potential.

I expect to legitimately be in the Playoff Race for a WC. If we can get through the first half of the season at 4-4, that is very much attainable.

Last edited:
100% in agreement with everything you wrote.

I really don’t understand those who act like we have some rebuilding/talentless team. Did we get lucky to make the playoffs last year, probably... but that’s how it goes for most teams not named the Patriots.

Our defense, on paper, is Top 10 caliber, perhaps Top 5 if guys like Murphy, Washington and Shaq step up.

On offense, we were one of the worst offenses in the league last year led by Tyrod Taylor and Rick Dennison.

We will have a new QB, a new OC, an upgraded RB2, healthy WR1, new slot WR, new outside speed WR, healthy WR4. Three of those guys are recent Top 40 picks. Clay/O’Leary are solid tight ends.

I’ll agree with worry over the OL and the seemingly tough schedule, but the actual team has a lot of talent and potential.

I expect to legitimately be in the Playoff Race for a WC. If we can get through the first half of the season at 4-4, that is very much attainable.

I’m just looking forward to having an OC that has some type of modern day game plan. From all reports Dabolls offense has the look and feel of being multiple and unpredictable. Last year’s offense felt like I’d traveled back in time from a play calling standpoint and a play to play personnel stand point. Dummies like us were in the game threads just screaming the same complaints about the offense game in and game out, and if we can see it - real NFL DC’s will eat it up.

Dabolls offense focuses on mismatches. Despite what ppl think Shady, Clay, and Benjamin can present problems for any defense. Hopefully at some point I’ll feel like I want to put Coleman on that list too.

Plugged in blogger over at TSW tweeted that “Beane isn’t done..”

I’m now assuming we are trading for Mack and will be let down by anything less than that.

The word elite seems to have lost its meaning. I guess Joe Flacco really is elite.

Plugged in blogger over at TSW tweeted that “Beane isn’t done..”

I’m now assuming we are trading for Mack and will be let down by anything less than that.

Hahahaha

The word elite seems to have lost its meaning. I guess Joe Flacco really is elite.
Huh?

Hey Schopp - if you have a problem w my take why don’t you respond directly to my post instead of this passive aggressive nonsense.

You don’t think White, Hyde, and Poyer are Pro Bowl caliber? Tell me why.

I think the success this year depends on if the QB play and O line can be close to average. I have serious doubts. Sounds like there are real problems at O Line with regard to pass protection and will make QB play tough too. Mcarron holds the ball forever, Peterman isn't the answer IMO which leaves the rook playing with a suspect O line. Doesn't sound promising. Did they get rid of Tyrod a year to early? Seems like he's been a huge help at Cleveland with Baker as well. I don't know.

Sounds like the Phillips kid from Standford is going to be a good one if they can find where he fits on the D line.

I don't think they will be horrible but playoffs may be a bit ambitious this year. All depends on how bad the O is, because it's not going to be good. It could be really really bad

I think they need a ton of help at O Line

It’ll be interesting to see what it looks like on the field Thursday.

Like I said in an earlier post... Offensive line injuries would be catastrophic and would definitely derail the season - as things stand now anyways.

I’m hoping Beane can make some things happen here also.

I think they need a ton of help at O Line
I don't know about "a ton of help", but they could use some help for sure. Mainly someone to supplant Vlad Ducasse's inexplicable death grip on a starting spot.

I think we have talent in Dawkins and Miller. If Groy wins the C spot, I'm ok there as well. LG/RT could use improvements for sure.

It’ll be interesting to see what it looks like on the field Thursday.

Like I said in an earlier post... Offensive line injuries would be catastrophic and would definitely derail the season - as things stand now anyways.

I’m hoping Beane can make some things happen here also.

Me too, be nice to get either a RT or LG. I just assume start Allen and live with it but if he's getting killed back there then that would not be good either.

QB play alone cost them 3 wins and a playoff win last year. it cant be worse. tyrod cost them one more win in that it got so bad we played a QB who wasnt ready and lost 1 more .

Coleman has elite talent and a 7th grade head.

Antonio Callaway cited for marijuana possession and a suspended license.

Are the Browns even a real team?

Sounds like Josh Allen will start the year at #3 on depth chart. Hopefully he can do some things in preseason to move up or we could see a red shirt year for him more or less

Sounds like Josh Allen will start the year at #3 on depth chart. Hopefully he can do some things in preseason to move up or we could see a red shirt year for him more or less

I’m still holding out hope that they are simply following their written plan until the first preseason game and then if he lights it up they will adjust the pecking order.

However you are likely correct. McD and Beane might just be sticking with a redshirt plan regardless of performance.

I trust them to do what’s right.

I’m guessing McDermott wants to see how the OL shakes out before putting their franchise QB behind what might potentially be Swiss cheese.

Let AJ McCarron run for his life, not the guy you’re guaranteed to pay $21M.

I’m guessing McDermott wants to see how the OL shakes out before putting their franchise QB behind what might potentially be Swiss cheese.

Let AJ McCarron run for his life, not the guy you’re guaranteed to pay $21M.

That's how I feel. We don't need a David Carr situation and I'm less than thrilled we couldn't upgrade Jordan Mills and Vlad Ducasse in some way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom