Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

I think the Bills run game is too predictable.

It’s obvious McCoy doesn’t like to run between the tackles. When he’s in he almost always reverses field or bounces it outside.

He runs soft and I think opposing defenses know Ivory = inside run, McCoy not so much.

I know the line stinks but McCoy’s softness compounds it.

I think the Bills run game is too predictable.

It’s obvious McCoy doesn’t like to run between the tackles. When he’s in he almost always reverses field or bounces it outside.

He runs soft and I think opposing defenses know Ivory = inside run, McCoy not so much.

I know the line stinks but McCoy’s softness compounds it.
Honestly, I like Ivory/Murphy over Shady. He just doesn’t fit what we want to do. We need consistent 2, 3, 4+ yards per carry, not -2, -5 mixed in with a 7-12 yard gain here and there.

I wouldn’t be upset if we looked to trade McCoy at some point. The best our offense looked all year was without him in the game.

Maybe he changes my mind over the next 3 winnable games, but so far... I don’t see him in the plans moving forward past this year and if he isn’t helping this year, why not get something for him?

Honestly, I like Ivory/Murphy over Shady. He just doesn’t fit what we want to do. We need consistent 2, 3, 4+ yards per carry, not -2, -5 mixed in with a 7-12 yard gain here and there.

I wouldn’t be upset if we looked to trade McCoy at some point. The best our offense looked all year was without him in the game.

Maybe he changes my mind over the next 3 winnable games, but so far... I don’t see him in the plans moving forward past this year and if he isn’t helping this year, why not get something for him?

I've actually been thinking about the idea of moving Shady for the past week or two and meant to throw it out here. Not sure what we could get for him at this point of his career but I'd take whatever pick we can get.

I've actually been thinking about the idea of moving Shady for the past week or two and meant to throw it out here. Not sure what we could get for him at this point of his career but I'd take whatever pick we can get.
Id love if we could get a 4th and then draft a RB with that pick to go with Ivory and Murphy next year.

Agreed, it’s time. He would be a good fit for some teams that are further along and have a better O line. He isn’t in future plans and I’m sure he would be an asset on another team, maybe Detroit or Green Bay

Rumors are that Pittsburgh is offering Bell for a 2nd round pick and a “good” player. Shady might work as that good player.

Rumors are that Pittsburgh is offering Bell for a 2nd round pick and a “good” player. Shady might work as that good player.
I don’t want the Bills to keep giving RBs a ton of money so that’s a definitive no for me on Bell, especially with a high pick involved.

Unload Shady for whatever we can get and use his freed up cap hit next year to increase the cap space allocated towards WRs and OL in the offseason.

I don’t want the Bills to keep giving RBs a ton of money so that’s a definitive no for me on Bell, especially with a high pick involved.

Unload Shady for whatever we can get and use his freed up cap hit next year to increase the cap space allocated towards WRs and OL in the offseason.

The main issue is that the OL and WR positions are god awful. D did what they could and there's enough talent at rb and te but good God the oline and wr spots are a disaster. How we haven't signed any decent help is mindboggling.

Agree. If we have to look for a position somewhere in the draft, RB would be my choice.

The main issue is that the OL and WR positions are god awful. D did what they could and there's enough talent at rb and te but good God the oline and wr spots are a disaster. How we haven't signed any decent help is mindboggling.
I’d rather put Coleman and Reilly out there than this garbage.

Zay is invisible. Holmes is useless. Benjamin shouldn’t even be offered a WR2 contract.

The defense is pretty legit. After that horrendous 6 quarter start, I think (I hope) they’ve begun to show who they are. Aside from replacing Kyle and potentially Lorax, we should be able to keep the defense pretty much in tact should we want to.

Hughes, Star, Harry, Murphy
Edmunds, Milano
White, Johnson
Hyde, Poyer

On offense, I could see anyone outside of Allen, Dawkins and Croom being replaced, cut, traded or not offered a contract.

Daboll was pathetic yesterday. There is no rhyme or reason to anything he does. Our offense has no identity.

The talent is not great but Ivory and Shady were having success early yesterday and he got away from the run game as if we were down by 4 TD’s. I think he put Allen in some unnecessarily difficult positions. Just before halftime - rookie QB - run the ball and kick the FG. 13-3 at the half would have been fantastic for how things had been going.

Thought the D hung tough. Not everything went their way and the offense did them no favors but they kept churning. I was impressed. Lot of good young players on that side of the ball.

One more thought. What is the point of Replay Review if they aren’t going to overturn that Josh Allen fumble in the 4th? How much more definitive proof do you need? Two knees down - ball not moving and in Allen’s possession. I don’t get it!?

Last edited:
One major concerning issue is the draft misses especially at WR. We gave a 2 and 3 for what is now a totally MIA Player in Jones and then you look at who we passed on (which someone outlined on Buffalo Rumblings and it makes you want to cry (Goodwin, JuJu, Kamara, the guys from Jacksonville etc). Look at the kid from Houston who was a 4th round pick this past year (Coutee) had 11 receptions yesterday, our WR's dont have 11 receptions all freeking year. We need to sign at least 2 FA wr's and draft another 2 next year. I wouldn't be shocked if we went WR with our first overall pick after trading down. In the meantime we should sign Reilly and Streeter today and bump up Cam Phillips from the practice squad.

The programs are in completely different stages wouldn’t ya say?

Why is that?

Jags were 3-13 two seasons ago.

What were the Bills?

Jaguars are 5 years into their Franchise QB and the Bills are going into game 4 next week. Slight difference.

One more thought. What is the point of Replay Review if they aren’t going to overturn that Josh Allen fumble in the 4th? How much more definitive proof do you need? Two knees down - ball not moving and in Allen’s possession. I don’t get it!?
Makes almost as much sense as the "in the grasp" call that went against Cleveland on the strip sack.

One major concerning issue is the draft misses especially at WR. We gave a 2 and 3 for what is now a totally MIA Player in Jones and then you look at who we passed on (which someone outlined on Buffalo Rumblings and it makes you want to cry (Goodwin, JuJu, Kamara, the guys from Jacksonville etc). Look at the kid from Houston who was a 4th round pick this past year (Coutee) had 11 receptions yesterday, our WR's dont have 11 receptions all freeking year. We need to sign at least 2 FA wr's and draft another 2 next year. I wouldn't be shocked if we went WR with our first overall pick after trading down. In the meantime we should sign Reilly and Streeter today and bump up Cam Phillips from the practice squad.

As much as I have never liked Zay, it was a move you could see coming a mile away. Buffalo's WR coach was the guy that coached Zay in college and obviously Zay was an impact player in college.

I was always of the mindset that Cooper Kupp or Chris Godwin were much better prospects than Zay though. One saving grace is that Beane wasn't the one that pulled the trigger on that pick.

Having said that however, if you look at the moves that Beane has made so far in his tenure, I don't know how you could possibly be confident that he's going to effectively use this team's draft picks and cap space. The track record is pretty terrible already but I think you have to give him the offseason since this was always at least a 3 year rebuilding plan.

As much as I have never liked Zay, it was a move you could see coming a mile away. Buffalo's WR coach was the guy that coached Zay in college and obviously Zay was an impact player in college.

I was always of the mindset that Cooper Kupp or Chris Godwin were much better prospects than Zay though. One saving grace is that Beane wasn't the one that pulled the trigger on that pick.

Having said that however, if you look at the moves that Beane has made so far in his tenure, I don't know how you could possibly be confident that he's going to effectively use this team's draft picks and cap space. The track record is pretty terrible already but I think you have to give him the offseason since this was always at least a 3 year rebuilding plan.
Kelvin Benjamin was a move made when we found ourselves in playoff position last year unexpectedly. I don't hate it. He's trash and I wouldn't even offer a WR2 contract to him in the offseason, but I get it.

I have faith in our FO, and their moves, so far, are ok by me. We addressed defense and QB and now have, what looks to be a franchise QB and lots of young talent on Defense.

Star Lotulelei is doing what he's paid to do. He's a space eater, not Aaron Donald, nor is he paid as such. He's been as advertised.

Trent Murphy has shown flashes, and if he can stay healthy, I'd honor year 2 of his deal next year. If not, we have an easy out on the contract.

Chris Ivory has been a good pickup imo.

Vontae Davis was a hard swing and a miss.

As far as picks go - I'm willing to roll with the guys they just drafted - Allen, Edmunds, Harry, Johnson and Neal have all flashed.

Kelvin Benjamin was a move made when we found ourselves in playoff position last year unexpectedly. I don't hate it. He's trash and I wouldn't even offer a WR2 contract to him in the offseason, but I get it.

I have faith in our FO, and their moves, so far, are ok by me. We addressed defense and QB and now have, what looks to be a franchise QB and lots of young talent on Defense.

Star Lotulelei is doing what he's paid to do. He's a space eater, not Aaron Donald, nor is he paid as such. He's been as advertised.

Trent Murphy has shown flashes, and if he can stay healthy, I'd honor year 2 of his deal next year. If not, we have an easy out on the contract.

Chris Ivory has been a good pickup imo.

Vontae Davis was a hard swing and a miss.

As far as picks go - I'm willing to roll with the guys they just drafted - Allen, Edmunds, Harry, Johnson and Neal have all flashed.

I'm fine with the Benjamin trade. It hasn't worked out, and he's seemingly gotten significantly worse the longer he's in Buffalo, but it was a worthwhile gamble IMO.

But just off the top of my head:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Star. I think you can replace his production very easily, and he's being paid a lot of money for something that you could probably get out of a $1 million type player.

He paid Vontae Davis more money than EJ Gaines got despite Gaines being a significantly better player and despite Vontae coming off serious injuries of his own.

Ivory has been pretty good so far, but there was absolutely no reason to pay a backup RB that much money in a year that the draft was absolutely loaded with RBs. It's just poor asset management.

He basically lit money on fire by trading for Corey Coleman and then almost immediately releasing him.

He watched the three best offensive linemen on the team walk away and did basically nothing at all to replace them despite watching the holdovers (sans Dawkins) struggle all year.

Even with a long-term rebuilding plan, I don't know how you can watch the WR play last year and then roll it back with the essentially the exact same supporting cast the following year except without the most or second-most talented WR from that last year's poor performing unit.

The defense struggled mightily whenever EJ Gaines wasn't on the field last year, and yet we came into this season with probably even worse depth at CB than the prior year.

And for the love of god, Nathan Peterman is on the roster still.

Why is that?

Jags were 3-13 two seasons ago.

What were the Bills?

I might be misremembering from the tailgates a few years ago, but weren’t you one of the guys that was a bills fan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom