Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread

This whole thing has to be screwing up Beane's plans so badly. Had room to lock up 2 or all 3 of those guys needing deals this summer with expected $15m or so cap jump as usual. Now has no idea if cap is going to stay flat or perhaps go down if there is no agreement to smooth it out.

Can't imagine the players are looking to take less than they planned on if the cap goes down either so it creates a real mess. The only upside is that if we have good management like I think we do that this could actually create an opportunity for a team that has space available and a good young core.
Yea, initially I was all whatever about Star opting out but now, with the contract provisions, I’m a bit salty (unless he truly has a medical reason).

That said, we’re still in good cap position and every team, including most teams in worse cap situations than us, will be dealing with the same lowering cap.

Nationals preparing to meet the Blue Jays in Buffalo.

Feliciano out 2-3 months. That's not great. Thankfully have some OLine depth this year.
Never good to lose starters, and we’ve lost two in the past week - one to injury & one to opt-out, but thankfully they are both at spots where we have solid depth.

As far as the OL goes, still doesn’t change the fact that for this OL to make the jump, it all depends on Cody Ford’s progression.

Beane certainly couldn’t have foreseen Star opting-out and Feliciano missing 4-6 weeks of the season, but his signings, once again, prove how strong of a GM he is.

Star opts out but Beane signed Butler and Jefferson. We will still probably need Vincent Taylor as a pure run stuffer unless Harrison Phillips is fully healthy and up to the task, but the talent at DT is strong, and deep.

Feliciano needs surgery and will miss the early part of the season but Beane has gone out and signed Darryl Williams, who can compete with Spencer Long for RG, and (IMO) where Feliciano hurts more is at backup Center, but Beane went out and got Evan Boehm who will likely now hold that role.

EJ Gaines opting out. As you can imagine, Bills twitter has jokes for days on this.

Yeah seems like he would want to take advantage of the limited time he's not injured and try to play, but at least it takes care of him inevitably being out right away.

Must be a $ or roster size cut otherwise Long is the perfect candidate to trade for a late round pick.

Must be a $ or roster size cut otherwise Long is the perfect candidate to trade for a late round pick.

Interesting decision. Definitely didn’t see that coming. Long is decent depth/serviceable spot starter.

Tre undecided

Oooof that would be an enormous blow that we obviously couldn't even attempt to try and fix. Hopefully he plays.

Oooof that would be an enormous blow that we obviously couldn't even attempt to try and fix. Hopefully he plays.

Not gonna be mad at him if he decides not to play, but man it would suck. He's in a tough spot too, because him opting out would extend his rookie deal another year, right?

If I’m Beane, I have Logan Ryan’s phone number ready to dial with the quickness.

Tre’s presser didn’t give me the warm fuzzies about him playing this year.

Last edited:
Not gonna be mad at him if he decides not to play, but man it would suck. He's in a tough spot too, because him opting out would extend his rookie deal another year, right?

Yes it would roll over to the following year which would be the silver lining in this.

Theoretically that would allow him to cash in after another corner sets the new market again (though obviously there's a very serious risk that the salary cap will go down by the time Tre gets his deal, in which case his contract likely does too.

I imagine that if we were in his (or any big time athlete's) shoes, we'd think differently than we do right now, but from my perspective, I would opt out if I were in his shoes. He's not like a fringe roster guy where he's at risk of never getting another chance in the NFL. He can take the year off, keep his body healthy, come back, and still get a life-changing contract. Seems like a win-win to me.

It would be interesting to see McD’s defense w/o Tre. Love the guy, but if the D ends up balling out with all cheap corners, he won’t get paid here.

It would be interesting to see McD’s defense w/o Tre. Love the guy, but if the D ends up balling out with all cheap corners, he won’t get paid here.
Definitely will be of high interest to me should he opt out. Aside from Allen’s development, the secondary minus-Tre would be the thing I’m most paying attention to.

McDermott has always had good defenses and he doesn’t seem, based on his past, to be a guy who needs an elite corner to field said D.

I expect our DL to be much better at rushing the passer this year, and I also expect Edmunds to make a jump to the elite level... those two things could help (somewhat) offset Tre’s loss. Not saying we’ll be elite on D, but the potential is there to still be solid.

In all seriousness... he needs thicker skin. Bills fans have LARGELY been supportive on social media. Compare that to some other high profile opt-outs across the league and it’s night and day.

Bills Mafia as a collective is very dumb, though. The official Bills Mafia Facebook page is an absolute disaster. Just low IQ after low IQ post, many times repetitive. It's similar to CuseRunner posting about gyms every three posts.